Topic: Removing Rigs

I would like to try and use rigs to experiment with my series more, but I would also like to do this in the most time efficient way possible. I see that Dragonframe lets you import still images in to your timeline so with that I could put it all together using DF to shoot, export images out to Photoshop, masking the rigs out, then importing it back in to Dragonframe before exporting the completed scene to After Effects. Just seems like there might be an easier way or a program that can do more of this. If not no big deal, I will go about it that way, but figured I would ask before I committed.

Re: Removing Rigs

After Effects can do the masking, and it's much easier than doing the frames in Photoshop.
Just create another video layer, and then use the masking tool. It's quicker, easier, and allows you to just stay in the one program.

Google "After Effects Rotoscope Tutorial" and you'll find plenty of guides on how to do it. mini/wink

Pritchard speaks the truth!

I shall go the After Effects route and see how it goes. Thank you!

Pritchard Studios wrote:

After Effects can do the masking, and it's much easier than doing the frames in Photoshop.
Just create another video layer, and then use the masking tool. It's quicker, easier, and allows you to just stay in the one program.

Google "After Effects Rotoscope Tutorial" and you'll find plenty of guides on how to do it. mini/wink

I have not had any luck with After Effects. I had mixed results with it, so I just used Photoshop to take out my rigging on the last video. I don't know why I had issues, but it just didn't really work for me.

stop motion pro has rig removal as a standard featured.

Aka Fox
Youtube: My channel   Twitter: @animationantics
Best brick films: My selection

You could try Bafran. It's free and easy to use.

jahnocli wrote:

You could try Bafran. It's free and easy to use.

Yup.
BaFrAn is a very simple program and you get some cool looking results with it. (Just make sure that you don't have any light flicker)

https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/341/32154997096_f26d8af45e_o.jpg

Wow, quite a bump here. It's sad to learn that Bricktrick seems to be down, thanks for letting me know about that.
To be honest, as has been mentioned elsewhere, GIMP would be a really helpful, and still accessible, way of rig removal/masking.

I couldn't find Bafran anywhere in a few minutes of searching. It's more than possible that somebody on the site could get it to you, but in the end, I think you may be happier learning how to use GIMP well. It has so many other uses, is kept up to date, and if Bafran is like any other free brickfilming type software, GIMP will have far fewer bugs and glitches.

So yeah, there's my two cents.

Pritchard Studios wrote:

It's sad to learn that Bricktrick seems to be down, thanks for letting me know about that.

It's been down for at least a few weeks now. I wonder what has happened.

Gimp is a nice free option. It's on a frame-by-frame basis, though.
You could use Hitfilm Express to do the masking, the same way you'd do it in After Effects. (Which has the advantage of not starting over from scratch for each frame, that significantly speeds up the process.)

I'd too recommend using Gimp over it, however I've just had a look and found a copy of Bafran on a old hard-drive mini/smile. Feel free to try it out:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1eeAe … sp=sharing

Boats Animator
Free stop motion software with 1080p support!
YouTubeBrickfilms WikiBoats Animator