Topic: 2017 Brickworld Film Festival - Open to everyone!

David Pagano and I have been running a film festival at Brickworld Chicago for the past five years, but previously it was only open to people who physically attended the convention, which severely limited the entries. We're really excited to finally open the contest to everybody! There's no theme or year created requirement, so any brickfilm you've ever made may be eligible.

You can read the full rules on our blog, but here are some highlights:

  • Your film must be longer than 30 seconds and shorter than 5 minutes in length

  • Films should be enjoyable by all ages. Film content such as (but not limited to) curse words/swearing, excessive violence, sexual content, and drug use will be grounds for disqualification

  • Submit by June 5

  • The winner will receive an epic prize pack with over $250 worth of LEGO sets

http://setbump.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/prizes-1024x453.jpg

Let me know if you have any questions. We're looking forward to getting lots of great entries from the Bricks in Motion community mini/bigsmile

Re: 2017 Brickworld Film Festival - Open to everyone!

As usual: what Dave said!

This is also an open invitation for you all to join us in person at the convention. If you're in the Chicagoland area in June (or have travel ability), Brickworld is definitely a LEGO fan event worth your time. Feel free to hit us up with any questions about attending, too! mini/smile

Re: 2017 Brickworld Film Festival - Open to everyone!

This looks wonderful; thanks for opening it up worldwide. The film I would most like to submit is a little over 5 minutes and would require the copyrighted music to be replaced, so I think soon I will make a new cut and send it along.

Re: 2017 Brickworld Film Festival - Open to everyone!

It's times like this that it really hits me that brickfilming isn't a big thing in the UK. There's never any brickfilm festivals where I am, and this sounds like it would be an excellent event to go to and see you in person. All well, I will submit an entry all the same mini/smile

http://i.imgur.com/tAakiws.jpg
YouTube Twitter "Be on your guard; stand firm in the faith; be courageous; be strong." 1 Corinthians 16:13

Re: 2017 Brickworld Film Festival - Open to everyone!

Sweet! Thanks for opening this to everyone.
Crazily enough, I'll be visiting Chicago the weekend before. It's a pity I'll be so close, yet still miss it.
Still, y'all have a great time, and I hope it'll be a fantastic event!

One question:

To submit, e-mail bwfilmfest@setbump.com by June 5, 2017 with the following information:
*A link to your film on YouTube
*A completed entry form

What's the completed entry form? I didn't see any downloads or published forms on the site.

In the meantime, I'll be digging through trying to fine my best film to submit.
But it'll take some searching, as all my 'best' films exceed the time limit... mini/shifty

Re: 2017 Brickworld Film Festival - Open to everyone!

Pritchard Studios wrote:

In the meantime, I'll be digging through trying to fine my best film to submit.
But it'll take some searching, as all my 'best' films exceed the time limit... mini/shifty

Same. Honestly quite surprised of it being 5 minutes rather than 10, as most of my films exceed 5!

http://i.imgur.com/tAakiws.jpg
YouTube Twitter "Be on your guard; stand firm in the faith; be courageous; be strong." 1 Corinthians 16:13

Re: 2017 Brickworld Film Festival - Open to everyone!

Pritchard Studios wrote:

One question:

What's the completed entry form? I didn't see any downloads or published forms on the site.

Thanks for catching that. I forgot to link to the form mini/eek , just went back and added it in.

Re: 2017 Brickworld Film Festival - Open to everyone!

"There's never any brickfilm festivals where I am".
I know how you feel mini/sad

Imagination is more powerful than knowledge, because knowledge is limited to all we know and understand while imagination embraces the entire world

Re: 2017 Brickworld Film Festival - Open to everyone!

I have one quick question, when you say,

By submitting your film, the Brickworld Film Festival is granted the right to use and/or publish clips or the full videos, screenshots, director and crew names, and any other material related to an entry in the event program, the Brickworld Film Festival screening, the Brickworld website, re-screenings at future Brickworld events, and for any and all promotional purposes.

Are you only referring to embedding the YouTube video? or do you intend to download it and then put it somewhere else, because I would rather not have my film viewed as a second-hand copy, and would much prefer to provide my own encoded file if external hosting was necessary.

http://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=0B-S9Gk-8REITRVJVQXVwZkdBRk0
“Every film should have its own world, a logic and feel to it that expands beyond the exact image that the audience is seeing”

Re: 2017 Brickworld Film Festival - Open to everyone!

Yeah like many others there is never any brick film/animation stuff going on in the UK, but I don't know if I will be able to attend Brickworld, however there is a chance. I'm really happy that people can still win even if they don't attend, because these things always happen in America and I don't live there. Of course I'm assuming you would have to make your own sound effects as well, in order to have full rights to the video (but if not then it would be good to know), but the main question I have is what counts as too much violence? I was thinking of entering my WW1 Battle of the Somme animation that I'm currently working on, and it will have minifigures dying (which will just be them falling to the ground or being flung up into there air by an explosion) but there will also be some who are stabbed by bayonets, and there will be blood. Would that be too much to be allowed to enter? It would be good to know soon in case I decide to tone it down a bit before it's too late. Thanks mini/smile

YouTube   |  Facebook

"it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay" - Gandalf

Re: 2017 Brickworld Film Festival - Open to everyone!

Coolio! I've seen entries from Brickworlds of years past, but have never been to Chicago, so couldn't enter. Thanks for doing it this way this year, I'm sure there'll be a ton of great content submitted for your film fest!

YouTubeTwitterFacebook
http://bricksafe.com/files/rioforce/internet-images/discoctopus-sig-2.png
"Whatever you do, do all to the glory of God." - 1 Corinthians 10:31b

Re: 2017 Brickworld Film Festival - Open to everyone!

Another question I have is that in the rules it says that you have to own all rights to your film, but will your entry be disqualified if you use things under a creative commons license? Thanks in advance mini/smile

YouTube   |  Facebook

"it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay" - Gandalf

Re: 2017 Brickworld Film Festival - Open to everyone!

Happy to hear this! Now I just have to figure out which video to submit. Hmmm...

Re: 2017 Brickworld Film Festival - Open to everyone!

Daniel wrote:

I just have to figure out which video to submit. Hmmm...

Pokemon GO in the city and Super Bomberman are absolute visual marvels. Help the Homeless could be a good candidate as well. mini/mrgreen

Life is like a box of LEGO, you never know what you're gonna build. - mrgraff

Re: 2017 Brickworld Film Festival - Open to everyone!

MarkNelsonMovies wrote:

I have one quick question, when you say,

By submitting your film, the Brickworld Film Festival is granted the right to use and/or publish clips or the full videos, screenshots, director and crew names, and any other material related to an entry in the event program, the Brickworld Film Festival screening, the Brickworld website, re-screenings at future Brickworld events, and for any and all promotional purposes.

Are you only referring to embedding the YouTube video? or do you intend to download it and then put it somewhere else, because I would rather not have my film viewed as a second-hand copy, and would much prefer to provide my own encoded file if external hosting was necessary.

We intend to download it, burn it on to a DVD or Blu-Ray and then project it on a screen. If you want to sent a link to an encoded file for us to download, you can do that, but we're still going to have to compress it to screen it.

Re: 2017 Brickworld Film Festival - Open to everyone!

Lego Figure Productions wrote:

Yeah like many others there is never any brick film/animation stuff going on in the UK, but I don't know if I will be able to attend Brickworld, however there is a chance. I'm really happy that people can still win even if they don't attend, because these things always happen in America and I don't live there. Of course I'm assuming you would have to make your own sound effects as well, in order to have full rights to the video (but if not then it would be good to know), but the main question I have is what counts as too much violence? I was thinking of entering my WW1 Battle of the Somme animation that I'm currently working on, and it will have minifigures dying (which will just be them falling to the ground or being flung up into there air by an explosion) but there will also be some who are stabbed by bayonets, and there will be blood. Would that be too much to be allowed to enter? It would be good to know soon in case I decide to tone it down a bit before it's too late. Thanks mini/smile

The violence thing is hard to quantify, it's something David and I judge on a case by case basis. Visible blood / gore is definitely a red flag for us. We accepted Ax, because while there are several deaths, the violence happens off-camera and there's no blood.

You don't necessarily need to make your own sound effects, you could also get them from a source for royalty-free sounds effects. Just as long as you have full rights to use them, you're good.

Re: 2017 Brickworld Film Festival - Open to everyone!

Lego Figure Productions wrote:

Another question I have is that in the rules it says that you have to own all rights to your film, but will your entry be disqualified if you use things under a creative commons license? Thanks in advance mini/smile

Creative commons content should all be good to use as long as your properly attribute everything.

Re: 2017 Brickworld Film Festival - Open to everyone!

VN wrote:
Daniel wrote:

I just have to figure out which video to submit. Hmmm...

Pokemon GO in the city and Super Bomberman are absolute visual marvels. Help the Homeless could be a good candidate as well. mini/mrgreen

That's my problem! Even you can't pick just one mini/tongue

Part of me wants to just submit The Dandelion because of it's success on YouTube, but my new stuff is clearly better on a technical level. I'm interested that you said Super Bomberman. I'm quite proud of that one. I just don't know how the judges would take it... Hmmm... Must ponder further.

Re: 2017 Brickworld Film Festival - Open to everyone!

Thanks for the responses!vI may slightly change my storyboard to make it less gory, as I would really like to enter it as it will be my biggest and best project yet, but we will see how things go mini/smile

YouTube   |  Facebook

"it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay" - Gandalf

Re: 2017 Brickworld Film Festival - Open to everyone!

Daniel wrote:
VN wrote:
Daniel wrote:

I just have to figure out which video to submit. Hmmm...

Pokemon GO in the city and Super Bomberman are absolute visual marvels. Help the Homeless could be a good candidate as well. mini/mrgreen

That's my problem! Even you can't pick just one mini/tongue

Part of me wants to just submit The Dandelion because of it's success on YouTube, but my new stuff is clearly better on a technical level. I'm interested that you said Super Bomberman. I'm quite proud of that one. I just don't know how the judges would take it... Hmmm... Must ponder further.

Keep in mind that the festival rules prohibit "unlicensed use of copyrighted material". So, unless you have permission from the rights holders to use things like Pokemon or Super Bomberman, those films will be ineligible for entry.