Topic: What brickfilms got you into brickfilming?

This thread has probably been done in the past, but I'm interested to see what the answers will look like nowadays. I'm curious to get an idea for what's getting people into brickfilming recently, as well as seeing any answers from long-time members, too. It could be just one film, or you could mention if you saw any before properly starting, or multiple films you saw early on that influenced your early work. Hopefully I get some responses, and don't feel obliged to write a mini-essay like I seem to have.

I think I've said all this before across various threads (or in chat), but here is my timeline:

• 2002-3: I would have first become aware of the concept thanks to LEGO Studios. I could only dream of having the big set with the camera, but I did have the set Scary Laboratory which included a CD with, among other things, three animations by Spite Your Face: Scary Thriller and these two Spider-man clips. I also first encountered Brickfilms.com in 2002 and had trouble getting most files to play, but do particularly remember watching Train Wreck by David Clough and Taxi by Flash1015. I returned a couple of times until I found the site down in '02 or '03, so I stopped visiting, thinking it was gone forever.
    .]

• 2004/5: I made an attempt at a brickfilm by pointing a camcorder at the characters and talking as it recorded, also with some very basic and slow stop-motion where each frame was a brief video recording. This is lost.
    .]

• 2006: On the official website of Weird Al Yankovic, I found a link to a Hardware Store brickfilm music video. At this time I was experimenting with rudimentary filmaking using MS Paint and Movie Maker, so I swapped out MS Paint drawings for photographs of LEGO and made a slideshow music video to the Weird Al song, Trash Day. I still have the photos.
    .]

• 2007: Circle Circle Dot Dot by Blunty was featured on the front page of YouTube, back when that was actually a big deal. From there I got to Blunty's Stop-mo 101 where I learned the basics, and found the Steve and Dave films, which were a huge influence on Benny n' Lee. The one I remember making the biggest impression on me is Mystery of the BoB, and The Skelly is basically a rip-off of the 'weirder third guy' idea. I found my way back to Brickfilms.com and the first animation I posted there was this test, which includes Benny and Lee and is also a rip-off of the Hardware Store brickfilm, and I remember Littlebrick commenting that Blunty would sue (I think this was mainly aimed at the head in a jar).

Re: What brickfilms got you into brickfilming?

. This is my first brickfilm that I watched( I can't remember if it was): https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fFdgCxEDkOE Either that brickfilm inspired me to start attempting animating or it was AnnoyingNoisesProductions "Pirates Rule!" or MichaelHickoxFilms

Last edited by AgentMichaelScarn22 (October 26, 2016 (09:12am))

Previously known as Gillcrafter

"I'm not superstitious. But I am a little stitious."
                                                            -Michael Scott

I doubt you'll find it. It was a short clip of the subway fight from The Matrix made by a friend for a high school Art/Film class around 2002, before broadband connection and YouTube.  It certainly introduced me to the concept of stop motion animation, even though I've seen stop-motion films prior to that, I just never knew about the process until I learned from this clip that it could be done with LEGO.

https://i.imgur.com/4b9NnS3.pnghttps://i.imgur.com/GUIl0qk.pnghttps://i.imgur.com/ox64uld.pnghttps://i.imgur.com/v3iyhE5.png

When I was probably around 8, I started making "movies" with my family's mini-dv camcorder. I used a combination of different toys; mainly Star Wars action figures, Playmobil, and LEGO. Since I had no concept of stop motion, I would move the toys along with my hands until one day, my dad stumbled upon The Rescue by Jason Allemann and Deane VanLuven. (Though, at the time, I believe we watched this re-uploaded version on YouTube). I was super impressed and immediately wanted to know how to create something like it.

From there, my dad and I did some research and discovered how to string together images in Windows Movie Maker. The first test was created with a Playmobil figure which, unfortunately, is long gone. I can't remember why but I didn't stick with this approach. Instead, I continued to use the mini-dv camcorder to briefly record video for each frame, similar to Penta's 04/05 attempt.

I continued doing this for a few more years until I started watching YouTube on a regular basis. I'm not entirely sure what brickfilms I saw early on, but I remember watching a lot of stuff by MindGame, Keshen, Nathan Wells, Fancy Pants, forrestfire101, 0ldscratch, and Spite Your Face Productions. Both Nathan Wells' and Fancy Pants' tutorials were a huge help in getting started with legitimate stop motion.

In late 2010 I discovered Bricks in Motion, though I didn't really become active in the community until mid-2013. I soon learned about the history behind brickfilms.com and discovered a lot of the ole' classics–Twelve Bucks, The Letter, Frankenstein, and The Gauntlet, to name a few. 

While I have only completed a few brickfilms myself, I definitely want to continue brickfilming as long as possible.

This is a really special community of people and, although in a small way, I'm honored to be apart of it.

Oh jeez, my post totally turned into a mini essay (my sincerest apologies).

I really loved Lego Clan Uncut because I was really into Quentin Tarantino's movies back in 2007 so I was really fascinated that some guy made a Tarantino'esque movie with Lego! It was mind-blowing that one could be so creative with what essentially is toys.

Also there was this Lego Batman movie (done with no dialogue) with great cinematography and it was very Tim Burton'esque. I'm pretty sure it was done way before the Batman sets were made (so like in 2003 or 2004). I think it was in Black & White but I'm not exactly sure. But I remember it was an incredible experience watching it because it was just so atmospheric and lovely.

Last but not least is Doug Vandegrift. He made America Outlawed and Pirates and at that time he was my hero. His stories were amazing, the sets were great, his animation was awesome. He put so much effort into those projects and I loved his movies for it. They are very artistic and entertaining.

Back in 2010, my friend and I accidentally made a brickfilm, and when our friend saw it he showed us the work of FancyPants. This led me to watch the work of Nathan Wells, ZachMG, filmyguy, SpastikChuwawa, Smeagol; that gang of people who were super active making crazy good stuff in that 2008-2010 range. Those alone were enough to get me to try brickfilming in earnest myself. As I explored more I found some other big inspirations in animators like Leftfield Studios, Hazzat, twickabrick, Doug of course, TheFourMonkeys; mobdeli was a big one (Egyptian Holiday is my favorite brickfilm) and there are many others. Patrick Crawford's "Design Flaw" was a film I saw early on that really inspired me. Another big one for me when I was first starting out was OrangeBrick Studios; the smoothness of his animation blew my mind, and when he subscribed to me I pretty much lost it. It seems silly now, but that was the first time an animator I looked up to showed interest in my work.

My story doesn't go very far back, but I still want to share it. Since around 2010, I've known about brickfilms. I hadn't heard of any of the greats, and only saw a handful of brickfilms. I took a bit of an interest, but I forgot about it for a few years. Just like Willow Tree, I started off by making videos with my camcorder, using various action figures moving them with my hand.

In 2014, I started to take an interest in stop motion again. I began animating Mega Bloks toys, by taking several photots, putting my photos on my computer, and then using my camcorder to film my computer screen, as I skipped through the photos in the gallery. I had absolutely no knowledge about doing professional stop motion animation. Then, one day I stumbled upon Doug Vandergrift's Pirates. Vandergrift was the first brickfilmer that really inspired me to brickfilm.

Later that year, my camera died, so my parents gave me an early Christmas present, an animation software with a webcam. I then started to to experiment with animation, and my first proper brickfilm was Lego The Haunted House: Chronicles of Pandrudica in early 2015. I continued to animate, not really honing my skills, until I discovered Bricks in motion in July last year, and the rest is history!

For those who doesn't know, for me it was Joe Brickmond, the series by Chris Allbee.

https://vimeo.com/channels/holdingourown      http://holding-our-own.tumblr.com

"None practice tolerance less frequently than those who most loudly preach it."

This

Also all those Star Wars shorts from that contest they had in 2007 (I think it was 2007).

Did a YouTube search back in 2006 for "lego" and the first thing that came up was The Lego Clan. I made my first brickfilms not long after that.

My old YouTube is since long ago defunct - now even removed.
Here is my new one.

I was showed eanimation's "Lego Star Wars An Average Death Star Day" by a friend back in 2007. It was also my first time watching a YouTube video, so that was pretty cool. That video still holds its own even in today's standards for brickfilms. I started experimenting with lego stop-motion on my parent's 5 megapixel camera, the Kodak EasyShare Z740. It fascinated my brother and I, so we continued to create mini brickfilms. We never seemed to finish them, and started a bunch of projects without ever completing them. I also seemed to have a habit for losing all of our files on our computer, so we have lost all of our old projects. mini/lol My brother and I stopped making brickfilms, and moved into live action movies. About 4 years ago, our interest in brickfilms was sparked again, after watching FancyPants' video "Lego - The Force Unleashed". We made a couple more brickfilms and lost interest again, because we had no motivation to finish them. So, we decided to make a YouTube channel and bought a Nikon DSLR, and we have been slowly improving since then!

-BrickBrosProductions

Youtube Channel https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCm2mA8FCaPP1ySSA8CL46YQ
"Do everything you do for the glory of the one who made you.."

I got chicken pox, and was home for a week, so I played games all day. I got really into this game called fancy pants adventures. Soon enough, there was a level I was stuck on, so I went to youtube in search of cheats. Then, I found fancy pants and watch "The force Unleashed". Then I got into brickfilms, and the rest is history.

Thanks for all the responses. It's interesting to see how different everyone's story is, and to see entry points I never would have expected.

BUMPED
https://youtu.be/OmvHmDCLLW8
Watched in 07 and I know it word for word.
Soon after I discovered forestfire and fancypants and some obscure brickfilmers.

I am supposed to put something here.

I remember that the very first animation I ever watched was on a skiing holiday back in 2008 (it was actually someone else in the chalet I was staying in who showed it to me) and it was called the Death Star Cantine, which had a voiceover of one of Eddie Izzards' pieces of comedy (warning, there is swearing in it, so probably not suitable for young kids).

After seeing that, I was very intrigued by the concept of inanimate objects moving and talking without the presence of a human being in view. So, I began searching for other animations on YouTube and came across pizzamovies and spugesdu at roughly the same time, who made star wars animations. These were the only animations I watched for ages until 2011, when I found legoboy12345678 (now know as Solid Brix Studios) and watched some of his stuff. In June/July of 2011, I made my first ever Lego animation, and I have been making them ever since! mini/smile

EDIT: The trigger point for starting lego animations was a lego magazine called BrickJournal (which I found out about from Solid Brix Studios), which LEGO used to sell in stores. In the summer of 2011, the main topic was animation, and they did an interview with the creators of 'Jericho'. After reading that, I made my first animation mini/smile

Mod edit: Please use the Edit button when you need to add something to your post instead of double posting. Thanks!

Last edited by rioforce (January 5, 2017 (04:35pm))

YouTube   |  Twitter

Who even reads this?

I have always been inspired by the brickfilms that take place in a dark sort of twisted world, rather it be sci-fi or classic monsters.
Some good examples are gigerbrick's "monsters from the ID", Robinson wood's "frankenstein" or the recent "protectors of earth" by joleo
I'm also a huge fan of keshen8 and doug vandegrift

Last edited by sebas (January 22, 2017 (03:49pm))

Special Deliverance and Aladibababad by Leftfield Studios have always been classic inspiration for me.

Life is like a box of LEGO, you never know what you're gonna build. - mrgraff

Back when I was a lurker on brickfilms.com, the ones that sort of tipped me over the edge into experimenting myself were a James Bond brickfilm (that I can't remember the name of), a Johnny Thunder brickfilm (that I can't remember the name of) and a thing where a living statue becomes a real person and causes some kind of car accident.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/ZoefDeHaas/stuff/sig1.png
"Nothing goes down 'less I'm involved. No nuggets. No onion rings. No nothin'. A cheeseburger gets sold in the park, I want in! You got fat while we starved on the streets...now it's my turn!" -Harley Morenstein

I think it may have been the pizza deliveries.

When I was like 7 years old, I ended up searching around youtube and came across a little animator that is not really well known, I am talking about PeanutMaster87. I got into brickfilming after watching his random animation tests because that basically opened my eyes to see the possibilities of using legos for things like this. He got me into brickfilming and making videos.

I HAVE RETURNED!!!
Youtube
PunBB bbcode test