Topic: Basic Software?

Although I have Windows, my computer does not support Movie Maker as I have Windows 10. Do you know any good basic software for making brickfilms?

BlueyxPacific - Brickfilm Animator

What do you mean? Do you wish me a good morning, or mean that it is a good morning whether I want it or not; or that you feel good this morning; or that it is a morning to be good on? - Gandalf the Grey

Re: Basic Software?

Are you looking for editing software or capture software? Or both?

What's your budget?

If $0, I'd say check out our Free Software List: http://www.bricksinmotion.com/forums/to … ware-list/

If you have a budget and are looking for a good video editing program, look up Sony Movie Studio Platinum 12 (not 13 or 14 because thy have a dumb interface). You can find it for a good price on eBay. It's powerful but easy. I use it all the time.

I'm not really sure how to recommend for frame capture software because I don't know what camera you're using.

YouTubeWebsite
https://bricksafe.com/files/rioforce/internet-images/RioforceBiMSig.png
"Whatever you do, do all to the glory of God." - 1 Corinthians 10:31b

/

Last edited by LBF Productions (May 27, 2017 (01:48pm))

If you still want to use the older Windows Movie Maker on Windows 10, someone has actually made a way to do so:

http://movies.blainesville.com/p/wmm-60 … ows-7.html

Although, I have to say there are far more powerful video editing programs avaliable.

Boats Animator
Free stop motion software with 1080p support!
YouTubeBrickfilms WikiBoats Animator

rioforce, I would just say in the range from $0 to $200 dollars. Thank you!

I'm using a Canon Powershot SX170 IS camera so I don't think frame capture software would work.

And thanks BoatsAreRockable, I'll probably use WMM until I can find a better software.

Last edited by BlueyxPacific (January 3, 2017 (07:34pm))

BlueyxPacific - Brickfilm Animator

What do you mean? Do you wish me a good morning, or mean that it is a good morning whether I want it or not; or that you feel good this morning; or that it is a morning to be good on? - Gandalf the Grey

If you find that brickfilming is something you want to do even a moderate amount of, I'd suggest buying some entry level editing software. I've been using Adobe Premiere Elements; it's affordable, easy to use, it's very stable (I've never had a crash), and is plenty capable once you work around some of the semi-clunky UI. I used to use Sony Vegas (abandoned it due to constant crashes), and I can reach the same end results using Premiere Elements. I've also heard that the editor in DaVinci Resolve is getting really good, and that's free; but you need a beast of a computer to run it.

I highly suggest using Hiltfilm 4 Express for editing and vfx, for anyone on a budget. Although it is not as good After Effects and Premiere, it allows you to learn a lot more about editing than WMM would. It's far more powerful. Oh, and the best part: it's FREE! mini/yes

http://bricksafe.com/files/Legoguy501/BiM%20Signature.png
2nd place Darkness and Light entry: The Tree
Behind the Scenes

I would agree with legoguy501; Hitfilm 4 Express would be a pretty safe bet for VFX and Editing software. For being free, it is surprisingly powerful, and you can always buy some of their add-on packs if it is a little lacking (they generally cost between $10-20 apiece).

Also, you might want to consider getting a webcam for animating, as point-and-shoot cameras can be difficult to use (camera shake from the shutter button, and no live feed). One good webcam that I and many others on here have used is the Logitech c920; it is currently priced on amazon at around $60.
Heron Animation is a free capture software that should work with that.

YouTube

"If you find a fork in the road, take it." - Yogi Berra

Windows Live Movie Maker is quite good. I know of an easy way to download it.

Last edited by Alaberria (September 11, 2017 (07:35pm))

BlueyxPacific wrote:

Although I have Windows, my computer does not support Movie Maker as I have Windows 10. Do you know any good basic software for making brickfilms?

That's because you're using Movie Maker 2.6. The link BoatsAreRockable gave is to Movie maker 6.0 and is compatible with Windows Vista and all later versions. It's almost the exact same interface as 2.6 just different compatibility. Also, you can download a bunch of awesome special effects and transitions created by others here. If you want to get more advanced, you can also learn how to make your own here. All you need is this software.

-Brickman