Topic: BRAWL 2017

http://i.imgur.com/pSEH7eq.png

What is BRAWL?
Brickfilm Rapidly All Week Long or BRAWL, challenges you to make a brickfilm in exactly one week. This includes brainstorming, writing, recording, animating, editing and submitting to be done within the time limit. It's a challenge, but a lot of fun!

When Does BRAWL Start?
The contest will start June 25, 2017 12:00 am (00:00) BST (British Standard Time), and will end July 2, 2017 12:00 am (00:00) BST (British Standard Time). You will have exactly one week to finish and submit a film. Any entries not received by the end of one week time period will be disqualified.

A thread titled "BRAWL 2017 Starts NOW!" will be posted in the Contest & Festivals forum. The thread will contain the theme, MOD elements, and submission information.

The Rules

• Your entry must be entirely made and submitted during the one week period. To prove this, mod elements must appear in every shot of your animation (more information below).

• Your entry must consist primarily of LEGO (or similar building-block toy) stop-motion animation. Live-action, CGI, hand-drawn, or other forms of film or animation may be used to supplement your entry, but stop-motion animation must be the primary focus.

• Your entry must consist of at least 30 seconds of stop-motion animation. There is no maximum time limit.

• No mature/explicit content is allowed. This includes, but is not limited to: swearing, excessive/gory violence, overt sexual content, and blatant drug references.

• You must not make your entry public until the deadline has passed.
    The entry you submit to the judges must be the entry made publicly available to everyone else. You cannot create a version of your film that includes the mod element to send to the judges, and then publicly release a second version of your film that has the mod element removed.

• Use of copyrighted material (including music) is allowed, though discouraged. Use of copyrighted material will not affect the judging of your entry. There is no direct score deduction but a film that uses preexisting IPs will not be viewed as favorably as a film that creates something entirely new. Using a preexisting IP is like writing a paper but half the paper is quotes from other people.

• While copyrighted/trademarked properties are allowed, you are discouraged from basing your movie off of pre-existing franchises (Star Wars, Marvel, etc.). Its not original, and could affect the judging of your film. Copyrighted music may be used, due to the time constraints for this contest. If you do not wish to do so, you are permitted to create original music beforehand. Original music does not have to be created within the one week time limit.

• In addition, films must clearly show the BRAWL 2017 and BrickWarriors logos for three uninterrupted seconds. The logos may be inserted digitally.

Theme & MOD Elements
To prevent cheating, the contest theme will only be announced when the contest begins. You can brainstorm ideas beforehand but there is no guarantee your brainstorming will match the theme. In addition, "mod elements" must be present in every shot of your film. These mod elements will also be announced when the contest begins. The first mod element is a color mod. This will be a combination of two random brick colors connected together or touching (for example, a white brick connected to a grey brick). The second mod element is a letter mod. This could be any of the 26 letters of the modern English alphabet. You may use the uppercase or lowercase version of the letter, but the letter must be recognizable as that letter.

To prove that you made your film within the time limit, at least one of the mod elements must appear in every shot of your animation. You do not need to use both mod elements. You can combine these mod elements in any way that you see fit, so long as at least one is present at all times. You could choose to use just the color mod or just the letter mod, you could choose to use both, you could alternate between scenes, or any combination of the above. All that is important is that at least one of the mod elements be visible in every shot.

• The letter may be upper or lower case, but it still must be clearly that letter. The letter can be rotated but not mirrored. Again, it must be clearly identifiable as that letter. It may be written or printed on a piece of paper or sticker, drawn directly onto a brick, printed on a piece, or built from pieces and even integrated into the set.
    The letter mod element may exist on a printed LEGO piece, but it must clearly be that letter. An eyebrow or wrinkle on a minifig’s face, or a fold in the shirt on the minifig's torso are not letters.

• The mod element must be physically present in the shot. Mod elements cannot be added digitally in post-production.
    Minifig parts (for example a red torso attached to grey legs) can count as the color mod, but bricks connected to or touching baseplates do not.

• You do not need to include either mod element in the titles or credits.

• If a shot must be clarified by changing the shot in anyway (changing brightness, black and white to color, etc) to be able to identify the mod element, the shot will be not counted as containing the mod element and the entry will most likely be disqualified. See next rule for one exception regarding the cropping of the image.

• For particular shots where including the mod element would be disruptive to your artistic vision (such as extreme close-ups and shots with very low depth of field), you may include a legal mod element in the shot and then crop the mod element out in post-production. You then must provide an uncropped frame from that shot and explain in detail the cropped shot in the submission email. You will have to provide separate proof for each shot.

In addition, films must clearly show the BRAWL 2017 and BrickWarriors logos for three uninterrupted seconds. The logos may be inserted digitally.

Judging & Prizes   
The judges for BRAWL 2017 are Nathan Wells, Squash, Regan, AquaMorph, and FunSucker. Entries will be judged on criteria including originality, production values (animation, set design, cinematography, sound, etc.), story, and creative interpretation of the theme by the 5 judges.  Films will be discussed and ranked collectively by the judges until a consensus is reached. The top 3 films will eligible for the prize pool. Entries below 10th place will not be publicly ranked.
http://oi58.tinypic.com/2ihwg46.jpg
The top three films determined by the judges will each receive a $25 gift card to Brick Warriors store. Thanks to Brick Warriors for generously providing the prizes!

Changes for 2017
With BRAWL becoming an official Bricks in Motion contest (woo hoo!), the rules have changed to be consistent with THAC.

NOTE: The requirement to show the logos are still in the rules. High quality versions of the logos will be posted by the start of the contest

Spread The Word!
Use the the hastag #BRAWL2017 on social media platforms.

Last edited by Fun Sucker (June 22, 2017 (10:23pm))

Former BRAWL host, 2013-2017
             Youtube   Twitter

Re: BRAWL 2017

YEESS! My favorite contest is back in black, white, and red all over with the blood of scorned animators!

It's like THAC but the pain lasts longer!

https://i.imgur.com/gGaR9Oz.png
Youtube @TheRealSonjira I consider it a personal defeat if my pee is not perfectly clear every time.]

Dang it, have the sets for another film made and this comes up!? Well I guess it just adds another layer of challenge mini/sunnies

"Of course I'm lucky, I'm a leprechaun!"-Fred the Leprechaun
I hope no one has realized I like emojjies mini/shifty

Darn it, it looks like I won't be able to do it this year. Oh well, best of luck to everyone who enters!

Sonjira wrote:

YEESS! My favorite contest is back in black, white, and red all over with the blood of scorned animators!

It's like THAC but the pain lasts longer!

I added my blood to the pool last year, and so shall it be once more.

Sponsored by BrickWarriors!!!! Go to BrickWarriors website today to get your logos!!! mini/delirium

I just kiddin' We're very thankful to have BrickWarriors sponsor BRAWL. I really look forward to BRAWL every year. I hope I'll have time to enter!

YouTubeWebsite
https://bricksafe.com/files/rioforce/internet-images/RioforceBiMSig.png
"Whatever you do, do all to the glory of God." - 1 Corinthians 10:31b

Look's like another contest that we will be missing mini/sad

-BrickBrosProductions

Youtube Channel https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCm2mA8FCaPP1ySSA8CL46YQ
"Do everything you do for the glory of the one who made you.."

I'll see if I can enter this one. mini/eh

Woo! I may actually have my studio set up in time to animate for this. It'll be a nice, easy, relaxing way to ease back into brickfilming after my several month hiatus (NOT! mini/tongue )

Let's just hope I manage to finish my entry in time this year... mini/shifty

YouTube  |  Flickr  |  Twitter

I will try entering this! Looks awesome! mini/bigsmile

Yes! I may actually be able to enter this year because of the date change! Hurrah! mini/bigsmile

YouTube | Twitter | Brick à Brack | Discord @ Undershadow#9982
   -- If a frame were worth a dollar, I'd be a millionaire by now --

Okay then. As you have decided that both contests will overlap, as usual I probably won't be entering. The summer contest will always be my top priority and I'll already be busy with another project probably up until mid June. Oh well - good luck to everyone who enters. I always enjoy voice acting, so I would be happy to help any of you out in that way. Brawl is as great a contest as any of the others and it's nice to still be able to contribute in some way, even if it is just doing a voice!

DANG IT!!! I'm going to be away that week. Just my luck. mini/sad mini/madhead Good luck to all who enter.

Family is going on vacation that week but I brought it up to my mom and she's willing me to stay at home. mini/bigsmile

Gonna try my best to enter!

well, i will try it...

YES!!! My first BRAWL!!!! (Although after the blood, sweat and tears of THAC, this is going to be an interesting ride mini/shifty) Thank you so much for choosing option 3 mini/bigsmile

I've got one idea which I would really like to use for BRAWL, so hopefully, it will fit with the theme mini/wink

One minor question (for now mini/lol), it says that the logos must be shown for 3 seconds and that the minimum length of your entry must be 30 seconds, so is the 3 seconds of the logos a part of that time limit or not?

YouTube   |  Twitter

Who even reads this?

Is there usually a thread for voice actors who are available for BRAWL? I still don't have a microphone so I'm dependent on them.

"Of course I'm lucky, I'm a leprechaun!"-Fred the Leprechaun
I hope no one has realized I like emojjies mini/shifty

Sir Snorlax wrote:

Is there usually a thread for voice actors who are available for BRAWL? I still don't have a microphone so I'm dependent on them.

Though it's not really for this thread, just wanted to say real quick that you should check this out.

-Brickman

Sir Snorlax wrote:

There probably will be one when BRAWL rolls around. The topic tends to be made about a week or so before BRAWL, but sometimes not that early. We'll see, I suppose.

Brickman wrote:

Though it's not really for this thread, just wanted to say real quick that you should check this out.

Also, there are some great mics on Amazon that you can find that probably work better than a webcam mic. Maybe not for three bucks, but twenty isn't bad. With mics, it's best to not go cheap or your brickfilm may end up sounding like it was recorded on a potato! (Though, I'll admit, I'm not qualified to speak on the quality of that webcam mic because I haven't a clue what it sounds like)
Supposedly the Neewer NW-800 and the Floureon BM-800 are really good for their price (they're the same mic, I'm pretty sure, just re-branded).

YouTubeWebsite
https://bricksafe.com/files/rioforce/internet-images/RioforceBiMSig.png
"Whatever you do, do all to the glory of God." - 1 Corinthians 10:31b