Topic: New GPU has slower rendering times (Hitfilm

I posted a similar topic on the Hitfilm forums but haven't gotten an answer yet, so I was wondering if there were any opinions on the issue over here.

I have used Hitfilm Express for a while on integrated graphics (Intel HD 530, to be exact). Some long rendering times and a few gpu-related crashes later, I decided it was time to get a dedicated video card. As a basic benchmark of the new card vs integrated graphics, I made a test: rendering a 30 second HD clip with the motion blur preset. The integrated chip did it in around 4:50.  Then I installed my new gpu (a 1050 ti), and rendering time was far longer (around 8 minutes). Unless I am gravely mistaken, this should not be occurring - according to gpubenchmark, the 1050 ti is around 4.5x faster than my integrated chip.

Testing was done with Hitfilm 4 Express (I have Express 2017 as well, but used 4 to remain consistent), and my drivers are up to date. Other components: Intel i5 6500 & 8 gb ddr4 ram.   

I know for a fact that the gpu itself is not defective - to make sure, I fired up BeamNG drive and was able to run it on normal to high settings at around 60 fps.

Anyone know what might be causing the problem?

Thanks!

YouTube

"If you find a fork in the road, take it." - Yogi Berra

Re: New GPU has slower rendering times (Hitfilm

I don't know anything about Hitfilm, but I may be able to help from my limited knowledge of GPUs and rendering.

On your intel card, it might be rendering using Open CL or just the card, or whatever it uses to render. On Nvidia cards, there is CUDA, but some support OpenCL (I think? I don't know, honestly, but anyway). Maybe in Hitfilm settings you need to go in and enable CUDA rendering so that it actually renders more on the GPU or harnesses the full power or whatnot. Or maybe it's not rendering at all on your GPU and just doing CPU rendering.

I have no clue if this will help you or not. All the knowledge of graphics cards I have comes from me rendering stuff with Blender and the GPU acceleration there. So, um, feel free to tell me I'm way off and should not speak unless I know what I'm actually talking about mini/tongue

YouTubeWebsite
https://bricksafe.com/files/rioforce/internet-images/RioforceBiMSig.png
"Whatever you do, do all to the glory of God." - 1 Corinthians 10:31b

Re: New GPU has slower rendering times (Hitfilm

Thanks for the response.

Hitfilm renders exclusively in OpenGL; no CUDA support, unfortunately. The strange thing is that Hitfilm does seem to be using the right card, just not to its full potential (and in this case, not even to the level of the integrated chip). I tried running MSI Afterburner, and the gpu usage (besides fluctuating quite a bit, between 1% and 70%) averaged at around 30%. Since all export rendering is handled by the gpu, that seemed a bit off.

Granted, I'm not sure what the gpu usage should be if everything was normal...

YouTube

"If you find a fork in the road, take it." - Yogi Berra