Topic: Ideas And Opinions For The Bricks in Motion Update

Here are my ideas and opinions for the Bricks in Motion update. Remember: These are nothing more then ideas and opinions. I am not requesting anything. Alright then, let's get started:
1: The feel of the site should be the same. It is very welcoming and easy to navigate.

2: There should be notifications for edits outside of the post, perhaps in a section on the main forum page.

3: There should be tasks that members can volunteer for. Here's how an application sheet may look like:

Requirements:

• 1: You must have been a member for at least one year.
    2: You must have at least two hundred posts.
    3: You must have submitted at least ten films.

Voluntary Tasks:

Welcome Team:
Your job is to make new members feel more welcome in the community. You are to reply to questions, send a personalized welcome, and rate and reply to new member's posts. Posts made by members who registered in the last three months will appear in a box on the top of the main forum page.

Film Rater:
You are to rate and reply to all films submitted in the directory. You will get a notice in the box at the top of the main forum page if new films have been posted.

Do not choose either of these if you are looking for a new emblem. This is a voluntary effort only.

Re: Ideas And Opinions For The Bricks in Motion Update

I know you're eager to be a part of the site, but the reality is you don't need an official title to be constructive and helpful on the forum, and anybody who is chasing after a title for that is probably coming at it with the wrong motivation. In the past, and this has happened many times, whenever we create a new position that people can apply for we get lots of excited applicants, but they lose interest in doing the work after a month or so.

http://i.imgur.com/wcmcdmf.png

I did forget to add a few things...If a user losses interest, they can give up their position. Also, if an admin sees that they're not doing their job properly, their title can be removed. These are just ideas. And these can only be given to uses who have been here a while and are trusted. The films and posts are a verification that the user is not a spam bot and on the forum for the right purpose.

Last edited by Alaberria (July 2, 2017 (07:00pm))

Kinda fits and I didn't feel this needed a new thread but, How about a way to add a Poll or voting system. Either like a separate thing from the forums or a built in option.

I think that's a feature for admins.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/341/32154997096_f26d8af45e_o.jpg

@Super_Squid I thought the same thing. I've seen multiple forums that have polls as an option for topics. I think BiM should be the same way. mini/yes

I suppose one way to get around it would be to set up a quick weebly/wix/whatever account and make a bunch of polls

Also sorry I didn't realize this thread was several months old before I posted that. I don't want to float a topic or anything serious like that. mini/no

Super_Squid wrote:

I don't want to float a topic or anything serious like that. mini/no

Haha don't worry as long as you don't bump/float a bunch of topics around the same time, that's fine mini/smile if you want though you can just say 'bump' at the start of your post if you're bumping an older thread mini/wink

YouTube   |  Twitter

Who even reads this?

The ability to make polls is built into the forum software, so it could be enabled without a site redesign. The problem is that enabling it has historically led to "WHICH WOULD WIN IN A FIGHT, A LION OR A TIGER???" type topics.

Personally I think in most situations it's better that people get posted responses to questions than poll results, because being forced to post to contribute encourages discussion, which is really what this site is all about. There's also an issue with accuracy in the polls; staff have used them in the past for censuses and to gauge interest in new store products and the results vary from pretty good to almost completely incorrect because it's easier for someone to select a poll response than to, say, purchase a shirt. So while there are definitely situations where polls are useful, in general I'd rather see people making full posts and justifying themselves.

A tiger would probably win. Good point. I could see poll spamming becoming a problem, and discussion levels are fairly low right now, and would probably drop further with them.