Topic: Shock Mounts?

Anyone know anything about shock mounts? Should I buy something cheap like this? Or should I spend more and get something like this? Thanks!

Last edited by twickabrick (June 7, 2017 (06:00pm))

Re: Shock Mounts?

Hey twickabrick,

I personally am of the opinion you get what you pay for on most things. Every once in awhile you can find a nice piece of equipment for a good price, and occasionally you might spend a lot on a piece of junk, but those are generally exceptions.

I've never used a shock mount.
That said, the obvious points of concern just by looking at it is the quality of the tension bands that hold the microphone. Also, different microphones are shaped differently, so you'll want to make sure your microphone will match the shockmount you buy. I glanced at some of the reviews on that cheap one, and a number of people mentioned that the threads didn't match the rest of their equipment despite being "universal". Also, some people experienced the bands breaking.

Look around, read reviews with an eye to worst case scenarios and reviewers with experience on the subject, and weigh the value of your microphone against the cost of the mount. I think you'll find what works for you.

- Nate
Far and Away Futures Productions

http://orig13.deviantart.net/3968/f/2017/197/d/c/faaf_logo_4_1_by_orignl_ninja_knight-dbglsld.png

Re: Shock Mounts?

Just something to keep in mind, if your mic is not moving then you don't really need a shock mount. If you are worried about vibrations from your table getting into the mic you could mount the mic with a stand connected to the floor rather then the table. A little boom stand like this would be very affordable. Although if you are looking at doing live action sound recording as well with a hand held boom  then you need to find something that would work well with that. But if you are just sitting or standing in place and the mic is in a static position then adding a shock mount will add very little to your audio quality.