Topic: Singularity

Directory Link

Singularity

YouTube

Introduction:
After 7 years of work I would like to present you my [*insert any superlative*] brickfim, I have ever done.
I have tried and enhanced a lot of new technics and methods for shooting and editing a brickfilm. Several of them were already seen in other "side kick" projects.
Caused by the long production duration my skills evolved a lot, therefor some scenes from the very beginning of the film may not be up to date anymore.

At the very beginning this idea (in a way shorter version) was planned to be released at Steinerei 2011 (annual german brickfilm festival) with the topic of chaos. As you realize I have failed to achive this release date.

Edit:
I am sorry for german voice acting, but there are english subtitles included. To activate the subtitles click on the cc button at Youtube. It might be in the right lower corner of the player. However you could enjoy it, hopefully.

Story:
Super villain Dr. Chaoticus stole an experimental power source to complete a dubious super weapon. Therefor the little bit bearish special agent Cyres is instructed to replace the power source and to save the world from beeing destroyed.

Some Pictures from the movie:
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/Peiler/Brickfilms/Singularity/singularity2.jpg

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/Peiler/Brickfilms/Singularity/singularity1.jpg

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/Peiler/Brickfilms/Singularity/singularity3.jpg

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/Peiler/Brickfilms/Singularity/singularity4.jpg

At the end:
Please let me know your Feedback.

For those of you, who are interested in some effects breakdowns be sure to subscribe to my YouTube channel, because the following one is just the beginning:

Singularity VFX Breakdown 1

Last edited by Piet (September 20, 2017 (09:14am))

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/Peiler/Brickfilms/Singularity/banner_04.png

Re: Singularity

I just want to point out to everyone that the English subtitles are turned on by pressing the "CC" button in the YouTube player. I will post my thoughts later, but for now I just want to recommend that people view this incredibly impressive piece of work.

AWESOME!!!!!!!

Finally had the time to watch this, and let me just say that was some of the best 13 minutes of my life! Everyone needs to watch this! I don't think I've seen anything better since BOUND. I would seriously give this a 10/5 if I could mini/delirium

Great animation and very clear voice actors, the voices being in German wasn't actually that bad because there were subtitles. I liked the story a lot too, especially because you "broke the fourth wall" in a way

Spoiler (click to read)

by pointing out how in all of these sort of films made by Hollywood the good guy always gets loads of epic gear and the bad guy always tells the good guy their plan

so it was nice to see something different! mini/smile

The VFX were also superb, and they did not feel out of place as it is clear that you really worked hard to make them blend in with the lighting and warping of bricks behind the engines. Probably my favourite bit of VFX was when the ship takes off and you used some great pans to transition between real and CGI lego. Speaking of which, you camera movement was also really well done mini/smile

People need to watch this!

YouTube   |  Twitter

Who even reads this?

Dragon Brick Studios wrote:

AWESOME!!!!!!!

Finally had the time to watch this, and let me just say that was some of the best 13 minutes of my life! Everyone needs to watch this! I don't think I've seen anything better since BOUND. [..]

Wow, thank you for this overwhelming reply mini/eek I'am so happy for this. You highlight those points where my personal focus was during picture taking and editing .. having lots of special effects perfect blending togeather. If you are interested in seeing the visual effects breakdown subscribe to my YouTube channel. Cause I plan do do some mini/wink

Spoiler (click to read)

I do not like major blockbusters with an absurd plot twist in the last minute to ensure a happy end. If the bad guy is superior, he deserved to win.

As your composer I had the honor to be a part of this project for 20 months.
The animations and pictures given in this movie have been a persistend motivation to go on, discard melodies and try out new things, and I´m very happy for you being able to present Singularity this month.
It´s  a truly great movie and worth to spend 13 minutes for!

Wonderful!
Lighting and effects certainly shone out as high points, even through occasional excessive post-production camera twisting and shaking. (8:04, for example) I was especially impressed by the constant use of effects on the window glass, making transparent screens akin to many a modern sci-fi adventure. I don't think I've seen that effect done so consistently well and often lately. The transition to the CG jet was also impressive.

It's a great film, with a solid story, and a high quality telling of it. I loved the time of the very end scene, implying something, before revealing that said assumption is false. And, good job avoiding a stereotypical ending that ties up the lose ends. But as a stand alone story, it still has a sense of completion to it, so congratulations on balancing that so well.

The inclusion of emoticons and abbreviations in the subtitles was an odd, and slightly distracting choice, however, I still must thank you for providing them! The story probably could have been understood otherwise, but I appreciate the effort you went to in including those.

How could such a fantastic film slide into the second release page..? mini/eek

A truly overwhelming adventure! Especially the countless sets you shot in are really impressive. The music worked really well to supply this "action-thriller" feeling you usually get from big-budget movies. I hope that more people will eventually find their way to this 7-year(!) project of yours mini/sunnies

PunBB bbcode test

This film is full of stellar VFX and cinematography. It's ambitious, but it paid off. Really nice work.

Although I'd have to agree that the camera movements went overboard throughout, and the digital ones suffered from feeling artificial. As a general rule of thumb, camera movements that follow an action (such as the jump at 2:07) should have a little delay before they start to mimic the feeling of a human cameraman/viewer following along. Syncing the camera perfectly to the action feels robotic and unnatural.

https://i.imgur.com/1JxY79v.png

I would like to thank everyone for watching and commenting afterwards.

Pritchard Studios wrote:

[..]The inclusion of emoticons and abbreviations in the subtitles was an odd, and slightly distracting choice, however, I still must thank you for providing them! The story probably could have been understood otherwise, but I appreciate the effort you went to in including those.[..]

I tried a lot new stuff in this film and sometimes it turns out that serveral ideas are not as good as I firsh thought. The mentioned subtitles are one example.

Pritchard Studios wrote:

[..]I was especially impressed by the constant use of effects on the window glass, making transparent screens akin to many a modern sci-fi adventure.[..]

I am happy that you are highlighting the Screens, because it turns out to be one of the most time consuming effects. There are two reasons for that: 1st the Display design took its time, even you are mostely not able to read everything, but trust me there are Little and funny details. 2nd to set up the LED lighting in every Scene to have a blueish shimmer on the Screen, but not on major set pieces.

Legoander wrote:

[..]I hope that more people will eventually find their way to this 7-year(!) project of yours[..]

Me too.

Hazzat wrote:

This film is full of stellar VFX and cinematography. It's ambitious, but it paid off. Really nice work.

Although I'd have to agree that the camera movements went overboard throughout, and the digital ones suffered from feeling artificial. As a general rule of thumb, camera movements that follow an action (such as the jump at 2:07) should have a little delay before they start to mimic the feeling of a human cameraman/viewer following along. Syncing the camera perfectly to the action feels robotic and unnatural.

I understand what you mean and I will try to reduce post production camera movement and if I do I will respect your suggestion for faking a real cameraman.

Thank you all for positiv respons and most thanks to the constructive criticism, because without I would not be able to increase the Quality of further projects.

For those of you, who are interested in some effects breakdowns be sure to subscribe to my YouTube channel, because the following one is just the beginning:

Singularity VFX Breakdown 1

Wow. truly impressive! I have one question though - what kept you from giving up these 7 years? mini/bigsmile

Raytistic wrote:

Wow. truly impressive! I have one question though - what kept you from giving up these 7 years? mini/bigsmile

Because I had never doubts about this Project, I liked the script, the style, the already done realization, the voice acting, etc, from the first moment til the very end. So why should I gave up? It was just bigger than I thought.

Great-looking production and the soundtrack was fantastic during some parts.

Robukka wrote:

Great-looking production and the soundtrack was fantastic during some parts.

The Sound track was done by an other german brickfilmer called Momei and he did a fantastic work I realy appreciated to work with him. From my point of view a lot of atmosphere is created by a sound, matching the on screen action.