Topic: Shroud of the Empire

http://i.imgur.com/9OBmJ5w.jpg

Shroud of the Empire is my latest brickfilm project.

I found a regained interest in Star Wars after watching Harmy's Despecialized Edition of the original film (later retitled Episode IV - A New Hope). Having never seen the original film, I was instantly inspired to create something closer to that original vision (sans Emperor, sans Yoda, sans familial confessions).

Shroud of the Empire will be set between Star Wars and The Empire Strikes Back following characters outside of the main Disney canon & legends continuity.

I'll be posting more pictures and updates as I go, however, wanted to at least give this sneak peak on Star Wars day! mini/wink

I'll be happy to answer any questions anyone has, and will gladly talk about the film in more detail as, unlike Disney, I'd like to keep the Behind the Scenes of this film as public as the fans want. That way, we can stamp out the Jar Jar's before they make it into the final fanfilm. mini/lol

https://i.imgur.com/Z8VtGae.png

Re: Shroud of the Empire

That's a very good image! mini/yes  How long will the film be, and what frame rate will it be shot at?

As I've not started on the script (but am just about to tonight) I can't give a length just yet. I want it to be manageable for me, though. Probably not over an hour, nor shorter than 8 or 10 minutes. Think between the length of Beast and America: Outlawed as a good estimate...

As for frame rate, I've been experimenting recently with different rates. I know that both 12 fps as well as 15 fps along with 20 fps and 30 fps all go into 60 fps - which would allow me to really have a lot of leeway with editing if I choose to go with 60 fps as an overall video rate. For now, though, I'll plan on filming at 12 fps (or 24 on 2's)...

Although, regardless, I will use frame blending to some degree to try and blur the motions/movements a bit.

Thanks for taking an interest, Weasel.

I like the poster.

"Of course I'm lucky, I'm a leprechaun!"-Fred the Leprechaun
I hope no one has realized I like emojjies mini/shifty

Quote from Dyland's criticism of Rogue One in the General Film Discussion, which takes place between two movies...

Dyland wrote:

it isn't part of the overall story arc

Quote from Dyland about this new project of his

Dyland wrote:

Shroud of the Empire will be set between Star Wars and The Empire Strikes Back following characters outside of the main Disney canon & legends continuity.

Oh, so it's okay for you to make a film set between two of the main movies with entirely different main characters, but it's not okay for Disney to do the same? mini/sunnies

Sorry, I just had to point that out, as I remembered that Rogue One didn't really appeal to you mini/lol

Seriously though, I'm really excited about this new project (since I love Star Wars, Lego and brickfilming - you have hit the right spot for me mini/smile)

I have been thinking of doing my own Star Wars brickfilm (which has an alternate storyline to the main one) at some point which will either be a feature film (as in 30mins+) or just a really long brickfilm. Perhaps I can learn a thing or two from this one mini/yes

Also, the only criticism I have of the poster at the moment is that the reflection on the head in the bottom right corner is covering one of his eyes, which slightly annoys me. But hey, it's not really a big deal mini/tongue

Last edited by Dragon Brick Studios (May 4, 2017 (09:44am))

YouTube   |  Twitter

Who even reads this?

What happened to Johnny Thunder, Sliders, or Batman Continues? D:

YouTubeWebsite
https://bricksafe.com/files/rioforce/internet-images/RioforceBiMSig.png
"Whatever you do, do all to the glory of God." - 1 Corinthians 10:31b

rioforce wrote:

I was going to ask the same thing. I was really looking forward to your Burton-style Batman film!

Lego Figure Productions wrote:

Oh, so it's okay for you to make a film set between two of the main movies with entirely different main characters, but it's not okay for Disney to do the same? mini/sunnies

Sorry, I just had to point that out, as I remembered that Rogue One didn't really appeal to you mini/lol

My problems with Rogue One (which I still haven't seen, but look forward to watching soon) is that 1. It's part of Disney's new Star Wars canon, which I utterly despise and 2. It's an official feature film made by the company.

I've come to expect films made about others outside of the skywalker family from fanfilms, and maybe even some Lucasfilm video games and novels, but from a feature film? At best it makes it SO much harder to explain Star Wars canon to non Star Wars fans, and at worst it's just a blatant cash grab. This film will be absolutely free.

Although, you definitely deserve a pat on the back, Lego Figure Productions, for calling me out on that. mini/lol

rioforce wrote:

After a house fire on new years eve of 2014/2015, all projects that I had been working on were put on hold indefinitely. Recently, having been looking back through these older projects, I realized that not a lot of them could be filmed with the Lego that I currently have. Johnny Thunder and Sliders, right from the start, would require at least a few bricklink orders, as would the Alpha Team and Pirates projects I'd remained rather secretive about.

Batman continues, on the other hand, is still in production - only, I won't be heading it anymore...

William Osborne wrote:

I was going to ask the same thing. I was really looking forward to your Burton-style Batman film!

I quietly posted an update a few days ago on the Batman Continues topic, which I'll repost here:

Dyland wrote:

Edit (5/3/2017)
Several delays and conflicts on the exact direction the film should take, myself and The Logan Productions have decided to make two separate Batman films - his a bit closer to the Burtonverse as seen in Batman Returns, mine a bit more of an homage to what Batman Forever would have been without the deleted scenes - still a bit brighter overall, but a bit more methodical and logic-centered than the final result.

That being said, my side of this project is currently being put on hiatus indefinitely. I've got some other brickfilms I want to work on in the meantime - most of which may end up taking me the rest of the year to complete. Don't worry, though. This project isn't dead. I do still intend to work on/finish it in the future. mini/smile

As I understand it, The Login Productions is continuing on with his film. I may even ask him to start posting updates on that topic, just so everyone looking forward to it can stay up to date. My project will resume either after the summer contest at earliest, after the next THAC at latest.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

Overall, my brickfilm output for the past 3 years has been less than what I'd been shooting for. With unavoidable delays, cancellations, and changes in schedule, I've been playing with multiple options for better workflow in lieu of semi-retiring.

As of right now, a Star Wars fanfilm seems like not only the easiest for me to do (I've got loads of classic and newer Star Wars sets), but also the most engaging to me right now.

Besides, the point of this hobby is to have fun. And doing any project other than Star Wars at the moment would seem like work over play to me. And, when it comes to writing/filming/editing films, I think that the lack of interest on my part would slip through, hurting the overall quality of the project.

Johnny Thunder, Sliders, Batman Continues, however, are not dead. I have so many plans on what to do, and find the subjects interesting enough that, I don't think I could ever outright cancel them. Just don't hold your breath.

Dyland wrote:

As for frame rate, I've been experimenting recently with different rates. I know that both 12 fps as well as 15 fps along with 20 fps and 30 fps all go into 60 fps - which would allow me to really have a lot of leeway with editing if I choose to go with 60 fps as an overall video rate. For now, though, I'll plan on filming at 12 fps (or 24 on 2's)...

You know, if you don't shoot this in a full, true 24.00 frames per second, it'll be unwatchable on account of not matching the other Star Wars films.

And don't even get me started on how integral 2.39:1 is to the Star Wars experience

http://i.imgur.com/wcmcdmf.png

Sméagol wrote:

You know, if you don't shoot this in a full, true 24.00 frames per second, it'll be unwatchable on account of not matching the other Star Wars films.

And don't even get me started on how integral 2.39:1 is to the Star Wars experience

I was going to shoot it on film with all practical effects, but decided upon digital and CGI instead. Also I'm selling the idea to Disney. mini/tongue

__________________________________________________________________________________________________

Having completed a roughly 20 page script in just one day (so fitting it was Star Wars day, too), I'll begin revisions tonight. However, in the meantime, I thought I'd post some updates:

I'm thinking about changing the look of the female lead. I like the concept of giving her white hair, but, I think her outfit could do with a change. (At least for this film... mini/wink ) If anyone has any suggestions, I'm all ears.

Otherwise, I'll post some pics of alternate attires in a day or two for critique and reference.

I also thought I'd share the text moc-up for the opening crawl text (Un-adjusted). I tried to keep it around 80 or so words, as I think that was the average for the actual Star Wars films. Without further ado, take a gander:

http://i.imgur.com/uOiomoZ.jpg

As well as a demonstration of the color correcting I intend to use:

http://i.imgur.com/16TpQ5P.png

Using a custom LUT created from Dr. Dre's color matching tool as shared here http://originaltrilogy.com/topic/Color- … d/id/18128, I applied it over the original image matched with a frame from Star Wars despecialized and voilà. Just a tiny bit of color curves and film grain later, and I've got something pretty close to the original film.

I boosted the values just a tad bit further than I most likely will in the final film, mind you. This is just to show the comparison more distinctly.

BTW, Thanks to everyone for taking such an interest in my projects. mini/smile

Last edited by Dyland (May 5, 2017 (11:22pm))

So is Princess Mira (who I assume is the female lead whom you were talking about changing slightly) a princess in the same way as Princess Leia? Also would it be possible to perhaps share some details about personality, homeworld and status? This would help for me to perhaps offer a suggestion on the outfit of Mira mini/smile

YouTube   |  Twitter

Who even reads this?

This looks like a really awesome film! Can't wait to see it.

-Brickman

Princess Mira Nova was born into the ruling family of Morvogodine. As the empire took over the planet for stormtrooper training, Mira's parents pledged allegiance to the Empire so they wouldn't be executed. While they still lived in their castle, they were now only figureheads with no real ruling power. Princess Mira ran away from home, sneaking aboard the Millennium Falcon, which had been brought there after being essentially towed for being in a restricted quadrant of space. Han Solo, having used most of his funds to pay the ship off, discovered Mira only after jumping into hyperspace. He promptly kicked her off on the nearest planet, where she first discovered of the rebel alliance.

After that is where my film begins.

So, while she is royal, she probably hates the title, as she is ashamed of what her parents did. However, having been raised exclusively in a castle, her habits of curtseying at greetings, extending her pinky when drinking, and using upper dialect haven't been broken. To those who don't know of her royal status, she seems quaint and a bit egotistical, although she is really neither.

I'd like her outfit to reflect her royal heritage. She's probably not completely gotten through her old wardrobe yet, since it's not been long since she's left home (less than a year or so). The outfit she has in the poster better reflects the clothes she might wear after rising in rank within the rebellion - yet still a bit more "street."

I might even try out Princess Leia's dress on her, although, it probably won't stand out as well next to her white hair.

Last edited by Dyland (May 6, 2017 (04:20pm))

How would you describe her home planet? It might help find an outfit for her.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/341/32154997096_f26d8af45e_o.jpg

It's still difficult, but at the moment I'm kind of feeling maybe a chrome (as in the colour used in the middle of her current body) coloured dress (would probably be quite hard to get the right body parts...), other than that, what she really reminds me of is Princess Leia and even more of Clan Vizsla from Rebels, who were forced to do the Empire's bidding or be eliminated. Perhaps it wouldn't be a bad idea to go for a more Mandalorian style? I could kind of see her being like Sabine Wren...

YouTube   |  Twitter

Who even reads this?

bataton wrote:

How would you describe her home planet? It might help find an outfit for her.

I went ahead ad amended her description post with a link to Wookieepedia.

Lego Figure Productions wrote:

I'm kind of feeling maybe a chrome... coloured dress... Other than that, what she really reminds me of is Princess Leia and even more of Clan Vizsla from Rebels, who were forced to do the Empire's bidding or be eliminated. Perhaps it wouldn't be a bad idea to go for a more Mandalorian style?

A somewhat Mandalorian-esque dress isn't a bad idea. I'll see what I can do and post some alternatives soon. mini/smile

BUMP

So..... is this thing still happening or not? Just wondering mini/smile

YouTube   |  Twitter

Who even reads this?

I'd prefer to release this film as far, far away from the release of a theatrical Star Wars film as possible. So, with The Last Jedi coming out at the end of this year, it looks unlikely that I'll release SotE anytime before then, as I haven't even started principal photography.

Also, I've got a few projects that presently spark greater inspiration than this brickfilm at the moment. Those being: a Time Cruisers project, a few Superhero based films, a possible THAC entry, and a TON of original ideas - some of which may or may not end up as brickfilms. (But all of which I shall share here, none the less)

Fret not, however. SotE is NOT canceled, nor will it be put on delay for too horribly long. Probably sometime next year... again, a bit aways from an official Star Wars release.

Okay, I get your reasoning. I just wanted to make sure this wasn't a cancelled brickfilm, as I really like where this is going, and I'm excited to see any future updates that may follow! I don't mind if you don't do anything with it for now though, so no pressure mini/smile

YouTube   |  Twitter

Who even reads this?

Love the poster man! Can't wait!