Re: Brickfilm 'Required' Viewing List

There's gotta be at least one Dane Cook gets on there...

https://i.imgur.com/Z8VtGae.png

FeinsteinFilms wrote:

What pre-2010 brickfilms are absolutely essentials? I don't have a very good grasp on that timeframe.

Though I considered my list to already be the "narrowed down" version, if I had to pick five that you couldn't have a required viewing list without, I'd say The Gauntlet, Out of Time, Aladibababad, Robota and Little Guys! ...and The Citizen of the Year and The River... and The Peril of Doc Ock... and... I guess I think you will need more than 15 spaces.

Pritchard Studios wrote:

For more modern Brickfilms, I feel like something by Squid deserves a place here. His style has certainly inspired myself, as well as several other guys. The problem is, which one? I don't feel as if he has a definitive "classic," (although Darkmore, should it ever be completed, may fill that role.) Even though his style certainly deserves a mention.

Any ideas? How To Not Rob A Bank, perhaps?

I think my favourite by ANP would have to be We the Pumpkins Three - I definitely think that deserves to be on the list!

Your suggestion would probably be my second favourite though, Pritchard.

YouTube   |  Twitter

Who even reads this?

@Pritchard: I agree that BrotherhoodWorkshop deserves some kind of mention (if only for the fact that he was the first inspiration for a whole generation of brickfilmers). The Aggravation of Smaug is one of his videos that might possibly work.

@Penta: I put in those films in and upped the 'limit' to 20 - think it should be higher?

YouTube

"If you find a fork in the road, take it." - Yogi Berra

Why not a top 25... or top 40?

I'm not opposed to making the list longer,  but where (if at all) should a line be drawn? There are so many good brickfilms out there...

YouTube

FeinsteinFilms wrote:

@Penta: I put in those films in and upped the 'limit' to 20 - think it should be higher?

I think it would be too difficult and be too disagreeable to try to order them by importance. I would recommend either alphabetical order or adding a disclaimer that it is in no particular order.

Penta wrote:

I think it would be too difficult and be too disagreeable to try to order them by importance. I would recommend either alphabetical order or adding a disclaimer that it is in no particular order.

Oh, I just assumed it would be in order of date or alphabetical - did my last post imply otherwise?

I was wondering what the total number of brickfilms allowed on the list should be.

YouTube

FeinsteinFilms wrote:

1. The Magic Portal by Lindsay Fleay - 1989
2. The Gauntlet by Jay Silver - 2001
3. ONE: A Space Odyssey by Spite Your Face – 2001

4. Out of Time by Chris Salt - 2003
5. The Peril of Doc Ock by Spite Your Face - 2004
6. The Citizen of the Year by Watson Films - 2004
7. Aladibababad by Leftfield Studios - 2004

8. Robota by Marc Beurteaux - 2005
9. Beast by Nathan Wells - 2006
10. Little Guys! by David Pagano - 2007
11. Pirates! by Doug Vandegrift – 2008
12. The River by Nikolas Jaeger - 2009
13. The Profession by Zach Macias – 2010
14. Droits d'auteur ('Copyright') by Maxime Marion - 2011
15. The Front by Gregory and Garry More – 2013
16. The Call of Farqunglu by Kris and Kurtis Theorin – 2012

17. Beyond the Eleventh Dimension by Chris Boyer – 2015 

Should be:

1. The Magic Portal by Lindsay Fleay - 1989
2. ONE: A Space Odyssey by Spite Your Face – 2001
3. The Gauntlet by Jay Silver - 2001

4. Out of Time by Chris Salt - 2003
5. Aladibababad by Leftfield Studios - 2004
6. The Citizen of the Year by Watson Films - 2004
7. The Peril of Doc Ock by Spite Your Face - 2004

8. Robota by Marc Beurteaux - 2005
9. Beast by Nathan Wells - 2006
10. Little Guys! by David Pagano - 2007
11. Pirates! by Doug Vandegrift – 2008
12. The River by Nikolas Jaeger - 2009
13. The Profession by Zach Macias – 2010
14. Droits d'auteur ('Copyright') by Maxime Marion - 2011
15. The Call of Farqunglu by Kris and Kurtis Theorin – 2012
16. The Front by Gregory and Garry More – 2013

17. Beyond the Eleventh Dimension by Chris Boyer – 2015 

...to be listed in order of date & be alphabetical within said dating arrangement.

Also, I'd recommend adding Grace (2006) and possibly America Outlawed (2007) to the mix, as, they have been mentioned multiple times beforehand, but aren't on the list yet.

Grace actually won over Beast in the Fame, Infamy, and Glory contest. And America: Outlawed was a "first" brickfilm - quite an accomplishment for a film so robust, structured, and genuinely re-watchable all these years later: basically, a great example that newer brickfilmers can take from - partially the inspiration for this list, no?

Last edited by Dyland (October 6, 2017 (11:14pm))

I vote that America: Outlawed should be added to the list, along with Grace and Faithless, which are my 3 favourite brickfilms of all time. Another fantastic brickfilm that deserves a mention is A fixed System!

My personal ranking would be something like this:

1. America: Outlawed by Doug Vandergrift (2007)
2. Faithless by Matthew Gray (2006)
3. Grace by Robinson Wood (2006)
4. Copyright by Maxime Marion (2011)
5. The Magic Portal by Lindsay Fleay (1989)
6. The Front by Gregory and Garry More (2013)
7. Pirates by Doug Vandergrift (2008)
8. A Fixed System by Aaron Fisher (2015)
9. Unrenewable by Philip Heinrich (2008)
10. Beast by Nathan Wells (2006)

Last edited by William Osborne (October 7, 2017 (03:51am))

Dyland, great organizational idea, I was just about to suggest the same thing. That's a really good list, and while some great films are cut, there's no way to practically include them all. For a starter course in the topic of classic must see films, that will certainly do the job.

However, I'd highly suggest helping to fill one of those empty spots with The Day Brickfilms.com Crashed. Why it hasn't been mentioned yet, I don't know.

@Dyland: Thanks for the idea! It's fixed now.

I'll put Grace and America Outlawed in. However, should AO be in addition to or instead of Pirates!? And similarly with the two Spite Your Face films - do both deserve to be on the list? With the abundance of excellent brickfilms, I'm wondering whether or not it would be prudent to only allow one brickfilm per artist.

YouTube

Doug Vandegrift has (as of yet) only done two brickfilms (unless you count his 30 second Easter contest entry, and that one PotC test animation a few years back). So, having both of his films on the list I think is acceptable. As with others like Spite Your Face, I would recommend having only one brickfilm per artist, unless there's a really good reason to have multiple films on there...

I agree with Dyland. Although Pirates, in my opinion isn't quite as good as America: Outlawed, it's still fantastic and deserves to be on the list. I do also have quite an attachment to Pirates, as it was one of the first brickfilms I ever saw, and the one that really inspired me to make my own.

I just added Faithless, the Force Unleashed, Egyptian Holiday, Major Malfunction, and Paint, which were mentioned previously (let me know if you think any of those should be removed).

If I removed one of the Spite Your Face films, which should go?

Pritchard suggested adding a musical brickfilm. Besides his choice (No Crawme), I was also thinking about Dylan Woodley's Houdini or MightyWanderer's Loose My Soul. Of course, they are music videos of pre-existing songs, so that might be a different situation.

Also, it seems to me that there should be something on this list from Keshen8 and BrotherhoodWorkshop. Is this reasonable (and if so, which of their work should be on here)?

YouTube

Though they are all important, the most essential Spite Your Face film is The Peril of Doc Ock.

NXT's Viva La Vida for music video, maybe? I don't know if it's more popular or "required" than another of Dylan's music videos, but I remember it made the rounds on the web and was pretty epic.

YouTubeWebsite
https://bricksafe.com/files/rioforce/internet-images/RioforceBiMSig.png
"Whatever you do, do all to the glory of God." - 1 Corinthians 10:31b

I think you should add "cognizance" "days of our pizza" and the underrated "Dr Jobs scary laboratory".

Last edited by sebas (October 14, 2017 (12:04pm))

The only other brickfilm that I would add would be Unrenewable. Almost every time it's been suggested as a "classic" brickfilm in the past, there's always someone to shoot it down, and I just can't understand it. It's one of Smeagol's greatest brickfilms - and definitely his most popular amongst brickfilmers.

I recommend it all the time, and think that it would, at the very least, be a great candidate for a list such as this. It can be very influential and inspiring for first time brickfilmers.

So, I picked that particular musical because of the inside joke, and because the song was composed for that Brickfilm. I wanted it to honor the visual and musical skills of one of our own, rather than music of an outside source. Hence, my not suggesting Namchild's "the duel." Or one of the aforementioned music videos.

I'm also a huge fan of 'unrenewable' as OT was one of the first major Brickfilms that I ever viewed. While somebody had suggested my noir film for the list, Smeagol's film, I feel, far surpasses it in capturing a noir atmosphere, in addition to putting a unique apocalyptic spin to it.