Topic: Trapped in Sin

Directory Link

Trapped in Sin

Youtube

We are all trapped in sin. We need someone to save us. Someone to set our weary souls free. WARNING CONTAINS SCARY SCENES NOT FOR CHILDREN.

Voice acting:
The2awesomeguys
Thanks to:
FilmDude for help with VFX.
The Bricks in Motion community for helping me with the whole filmmaking process.

Last edited by osomstudios (November 14, 2017 (10:41am))

This world is a dark place. One day I will see my Savior face to face.
My Youtube

Re: Trapped in Sin

Looking good, keep up the good work!

May The Force Be With You!

Starwarsstudio100 wrote:

Looking good, keep up the good work!

Thanks! glad you like it!

My Youtube

Fantastic work! The imagery is great, the tone perfect. As a Christian myself, I love it when people are able to portray the issue of sin and the Gospel without trying to water it down or soften it. You completely nailed this.

Spoiler (click to read)

The blood stains, the dirty room, the disgusting nature of it all - perfect, that is exactly what sin is. The aftermath of the door - fantastic contrast and it's very clear what it means.

Well done.

Wow. I don't know where to begin with this. It's bizarre, and uncomfortable. The fast cutting and narration made me edgy. Which is exactly right for such a piece. What I love is the subtlety and dramatic suggestion, rather than hitting me over the head with bible verses. I think the best art asks something of the viewer, rather than making a statement. Btw, the compositing looks great mini/wink

https://bricksafe.com/files/thistof/hillbillyheist/TofAnimation.png

Very good, I loved the effects used. It communicates the message of sin and redemption berry well. What stood out to me the most was how the lighting was done, the spotlight on the main character was pretty cool, the glow of the “angel” was also amazing. Keep up the good work!
P.S. I’m really sorry for the voice acting mix up, I should have sent my lines in sooner, but I recorded the lines on GarageBand so they sounded a little odd and distracting.

chris@gbp wrote:

Fantastic work! The imagery is great, the tone perfect. As a Christian myself, I love it when people are able to portray the issue of sin and the Gospel without trying to water it down or soften it. You completely nailed this.

Spoiler (click to read)

The blood stains, the dirty room, the disgusting nature of it all - perfect, that is exactly what sin is. The aftermath of the door - fantastic contrast and it's very clear what it means.

Well done.

Thanks! I was afraid it was going to be too odd to communicate the point. Im really glad to hear it worked!

Spoiler (click to read)

Thanks! I was really trying to push how sin is broken and hurts you, but also how great being saved from that is. Im glad to hear that it worked!

thistof wrote:

Wow. I don't know where to begin with this. It's bizarre, and uncomfortable. The fast cutting and narration made me edgy. Which is exactly right for such a piece. What I love is the subtlety and dramatic suggestion, rather than hitting me over the head with bible verses. I think the best art asks something of the viewer, rather than making a statement. Btw, the compositing looks great mini/wink

Thanks! Im glad you enjoyed it! I know I have made a lot of films that were not subtle, so I wanted to change it up a bit with this. I agree. Thanks! I spent a ton of time on cinematography so Im glad to hear it paid off!

YummyBurritoProductions wrote:

Very good, I loved the effects used. It communicates the message of sin and redemption verry well. What stood out to me the most was how the lighting was done, the spotlight on the main character was pretty cool, the glow of the “angel” was also amazing. Keep up the good work!
P.S. I’m really sorry for the voice acting mix up, I should have sent my lines in sooner, but I recorded the lines on GarageBand so they sounded a little odd and distracting.

Thanks! I have really been learning a lot about lighting lately, and Im glad I got to use some of the things I have been learning! I thought the angel glowing was going to be pretty simple, but it was not, I tried so many things but it just looked off. The people who were on the BIM group chat helped out a ton though, and eventually it came out like this! No problem about the mix up, that was totally my fault!

Thanks so much guys! I just want to say another huge thank you, to all the people who helped out with this on the BIM chat, It would not have been the same without all your help and suggestion!

Last edited by osomstudios (November 15, 2017 (11:08am))

My Youtube

Osom, I never meant to imply that you lacked subtletly in the past, only that Christian films and music in general often do. I feel that is one of the things that many faith based production companies and record labels need to work on, because it is easy to preach to the choir, and also reaches fewer people. After pondering this film late last night before I slept, I had to pay another visit to this excellent allegory today. I came to realize

Spoiler (click to read)

what the blood soaked wooden door actually represents, and why in the end he says he is "IN the door," rather than "through the door"
as one might expect.

Which leads us back to what I liked about the subtlety of the allegory. It made me think, made me work for it. And in the end, I still don't know if I got the same "clear" meaning that Chris@gbp got out of his viewing. Fascintating.

On a purely technical note, how did you do the blood on the door?

chris@gbp wrote:

You completely nailed this.

Couldn't have said it better.

they sounded a little odd and distracting.

Not at all, they sound perfect, almost Vincent Price ish. The fast cutting gives them an urgency that's unnerving, and it works really well.

Last edited by thistof (November 16, 2017 (12:45am))

https://bricksafe.com/files/thistof/hillbillyheist/TofAnimation.png

How did you do the interior lightning? Is it all practical or done is post?

thistof wrote:

Osom, I never meant to imply that you lacked subtletly in the past, only that Christian films and music in general often do. I feel that is one of the things that many faith based production companies and record labels need to work on, because it is easy to preach to the choir, and also reaches fewer people. After pondering this film late last night before I slept, I had to pay another visit to this excellent allegory today. I came to realize

Spoiler (click to read)

what the blood soaked wooden door actually represents, and why in the end he says he is "IN the door," rather than "through the door"
as one might expect.

Which leads us back to what I liked about the subtlety of the allegory. It made me think, made me work for it. And in the end, I still don't know if I got the same "clear" meaning that Chris@gbp got out of his viewing. Fascintating.

On a purely technical note, how did you do the blood on the door?

chris@gbp wrote:

You completely nailed this.

Couldn't have said it better.

they sounded a little odd and distracting.

Not at all, they sound perfect, almost Vincent Price ish. The fast cutting gives them an urgency that's unnerving, and it works really well.

Thanks! I love films and things that ask questions and make you think. Im glad that this was able to do that for you! I did the blood on the door with erasable sharpie, drawing a little more every frame (if you ever do this you have to be carful, because as the sharpie dries it gets lighter). I did the blood this way, because I wanted a very organic stop motion feel. Also the voice acting was part of the confusion, I originally wrote that the voice acting was done by "YummyBurritoProductions" but this was incorrect, the voice acting was actually done by" the2awesomeguys". 

sebas wrote:

How did you do the interior lightning? Is it all practical or done is post?

It is all practical, I defused the windows in the roof (there supposed to look like lights) and I shined two desk lamps in one with a white bulb, and one with a yellow bulb, I also did a few other things to make it look better. I have a bunch of behind the scenes footage about the lighting, that I am planing on editing together.

Thanks!
OsomStudios

Last edited by osomstudios (November 17, 2017 (01:42pm))

My Youtube

Hey just wanted to let you guys know that I have been sharing some behind the scenes footage on my Instagram (I know its confusing that my Instagram has a different name, but it was meant for my other channel). https://www.instagram.com/bicycle_productions/ . Also I am saying if I can get 400 views on this, I will make a behind the scenes video (I might even if I don't reach the goal).

Last edited by osomstudios (November 20, 2017 (11:07pm))

My Youtube

I really like this video a lot 5/5. As Christians we need to make more things like this to proclaim God's word. And To be a example of Christ in the world!

Real Love is Sacrifice, a choice to Love others more then yourself and to put their needs before yours.