Re: What was the last movie you watched?

You'll Find Out (1940) a vehicle for Kay Kyser And His Kollege of Knowledge orchestra
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5P6gfiCaGI
Silly thriller movie sendup with some cute musical numbers, acting performances by Karloff, Lugosi, and Lorre (all in one movie!) And interesting use of the sonovox used by characters in the picture for vocal effects and even featured in a big band musical number at the end of the movie.

https://bricksafe.com/files/thistof/hillbillyheist/TofAnimation.png

I saw Dunkirk on my birthday last Saturday. The visuals and sound design really made you feel like you were really there and it is probably the most realistic war movie for sound design. I'd say that it achieved what it wanted to do. It made you feel like you were actually there, and for a British person, it meant a lot to me to witness a completely British movie about a British event in a modern day Hollywood blockbuster. But I have some issues overall.

It's focus on just the war and nothing else, doesn't really give you any time to get to know the characters. I know Nolan's intention was to get you to know the characters by their actions, and how they cope in the tense situations, but I don't think it worked. I didn't feel like I knew any of the characters, except for the man and his sons on the boat, which happened to be my favourite part of the movie.

The bizarre and confusing non linear timeline was also an issue I had with the movie. As far as I can tell, the spitfire scenes took place in just one hour, but were spread out throughout the movie, which I can understand to fit a movie narrative, but it was nonetheless confusing.

And the soundtrack was absolutely awful. Again, I can understand why it was used. It's there to help give you that tense feeling of the rush and panic of war, but it was overused to the point where it was just too distracting. It would have been better had they had no music at all.

In summery, a great movie with fantastic visuals, only spoiled by some bizarre creative choices. 8/10!

Last edited by William Osborne (July 28, 2017 (01:56am))

Just watched Boss Baby it was okay their was some funny parts I just didn't like the story that much overall it was pretty good.

YouTube

I'm a Brickfilmer that loves smooth animation and attention to detail.

Ballerina, it has a typical story and simple animated effects compared to Disney but it is worth watching.

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974)

My first time seeing this. I'm not normally a fan of slashers, but it surprised me in that it wasn't as gory as a lot of others in this subgenre, and yet it was so much more disturbing due to the sound, music, cinematography, and pacing of the film. It made for a way better movie. The score in particular interested me; it was incredibly surreal and abstract in ways that seemed ahead of its time.

They don't make em like they used to I guess

Last edited by Blue Ghost (September 1, 2017 (07:33am))

https://i.imgur.com/x8mil9Z.png

The Giver right off the bat great story and the characters were fantastic the book by itself was incredible when I started to read it I couldn't put it down and I was able to read the whole thing in one day and I'm not even much of a reader. My recommendations are to read the book first it makes the movie more suspenseful.

YouTube

I'm a Brickfilmer that loves smooth animation and attention to detail.

brickorbrack wrote:

The Giver right off the bat great story and the characters were fantastic the book by itself was incredible when I started to read it I couldn't put it down and I was able to read the whole thing in one day and I'm not even much of a reader. My recommendations are to read the book first it makes the movie more suspenseful.

I read the giver a year or two ago. My nephews had read it in junior high and recommended it. I was pleasantly surprised. I didn't know there was a movie made. Interesting.

thistof wrote:
brickorbrack wrote:

I read the giver a year or two ago. My nephews had read it in junior high and recommended it. I was pleasantly surprised. I didn't know there was a movie made. Interesting.

It came out a couple years ago - small reception overall. It was surprisingly good (though it doesn't follow the book's story 100% if you dislike that kind of thing)!

By the way, the Giver is the first of a series, and I would recommend reading the others if you liked it - Gathering Blue is the next one if I recall correctly.

Yes.  I have the Givr on Blu-Ray.  great movie with lots of symbolism and a lot of significance these days.

https://vimeo.com/channels/holdingourown      http://holding-our-own.tumblr.com

"None practice tolerance less frequently than those who most loudly preach it."

Mother!

I've never left a theater in more shock and sheer awe than when I saw this movie. I saw it about two weeks ago and I'm still thinking about it, it's a very gripping film. To many it may come off as offensive, and that's certainly understandable. The director does not hold back to tell the story he wants to tell, even if that means pushing a hard R rating. I thought it was absolutely brilliant, I definitely recommend for anyone, especially those who love stylistic and allegoric films.

Blade Runner 2049

This was stunning, absolutely mind-blowing. Definitely my favorite movie of the year. Like Chris Stuckmann said on his review channel, this film is what inspires people to make movies. It most certainly did that for me. Everything in this film is so polished and story-driven. I won't say anymore, just go see this beauty.

Thor: Ragnarok
I loved this film. The other thor movies are ok but weren't really that great. The second one was especially kind of boring. But, for a 3rd installment in the series, the franchise got pumped full of energy and fun. All of the actors have great comedic talent, especially that of Chris Hemsworth. Taika Waititi's talents are on full display in this film: Both as a director, and his performance as scene-stealing Korg. Despite the humor, the stakes are high, which was a treat.Hela was a great choice for the villain, and Cate Blanchett was a perfect choice. Overall, I give this film 10/10 Goldblums.

Actually, Rio 2.

Justice League (2017)

There's not really much else to say that I haven't already said on twitter:

@DylandBrickfilm wrote:

About to go see Justice League...

Let's see how this one turns out.

(will probably be better than Guardians of the Galaxy, but still)

I am excited for Danny Elfman's bringing back of the true Batman & Superman themes, though.

Well, that, and I love me some superfriends!

@DylandBrickfilm wrote:

Standing ovation for Ben Affleck, Gal Gadot, & Henry Cavill. Rest of cast on their A game as well.

Great job, Zach Snyder! You've made a film I can really get behind. Can't wait to see again on DVD.

And props to Elfman: resurrected Supes with the Chris Reeve theme... stunning!

@DylandBrickfilm wrote:

Seriously, go see #JusticeLeague

It's better than Marvel's entire cinematic universe.

It's on par with the Burton & Schumacher batman series as well as the Donner & Singer superman series.

AND it tops Man of Steel & Batman v Superman!!!

Great film.

Great film.

I will add that I've not really seen any "good" superhero films (aside from foreign gems, like Antboy, or the conclusion to the Christopher Nolan Dark Knight Trilogy in 2012) since around 2008 or so, at least IMO. The dual new directions that DC and Marvel, in particular, took with their cinematic universes just left a bad taste in my mouth, and seem like over hyped, over budgeted, over "epic"-ified, and really poorly executed summer popcorn flicks. Marvel usually at fault for cocky jerk characters I could never really get into, and DC for its overly dark, overtly violent, and unnecessarily "gritty" sort of bleak perspective on our world.

Justice League is, by far, the best superhero film I've ever seen in theaters! I'd highly recommend it, even if you aren't a fan of the DC Cinematic Universe.

BTW, I can't really understand the soundtrack-change hate that seems to shroud this film online. I mean...

Spoiler (click to read)

Elfman DID use the Man of Steel theme extensively and pretty clearly between when they dug up Clark and finally got him resurrected... The Christopher Reeve theme's return serves as a sort of auditory signal that this man, although back,
has not only been reborn, but is changed too.

Similarly, Batman, arguably, never had more than a simple drums & strings leitmotif under Junkie XL. Elfman used subtle variations of that theme throughout, sprinkled with the majesty of his own Batman theme before it all explodes in the finale.
And, Batman went through a change in the film too, remember. This is not the same Bruce as we saw in Batman v Superman.
No. This Bruce was changed by the death of Superman...

And Wonder Woman's theme sounds amazing, I don't know what anyone's complaining about there. I didn't notice a difference from it in Batman v Superman, aside from Elfman's more liberal use of it. And, I never saw Wonder Woman (2017), so,
I can't attest to if it was expanded or not in that film. Either way, it sounds great here!

https://i.imgur.com/Z8VtGae.png

Ah, did Elfman happen to resurrect his theme for The Flash?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ghrNMiBU2A

I'm not sure, thistof. I would assume no (although, I hadn't really known much about The 90's Flash TV show going in, and very easily could have missed a cue from it...) Although, that was a TV show theme. If Elfman had used that theme, then there would have been no good reason not to also use this.

As is, the only cues I noticed were the John Williams Superman, and his own Batman from the Burton films. I will be picking up the soundtrack, though. So I'll be sure to give it a thorough listen through for the Flash theme. mini/smile

Justice League
This was a good time at the movies. Not perfect, but not a disaster like critics has led you to believe. I'll say this about Zack Synder: He knows how to cast actors. All the members of the league, especially Affleck, Gadot, and Miller were great. The banter between all of them was great. Superman has finally portrayed more accurately to his comic book counterpart. A lot of easter eggs, with the 2 post-credits scenes blowing my mind. Villian sucked though.

Danny Elfman using old theme music was magic to listen to. unfortunately, most of the soundtrack was kind of generic. One thing DC had over Marvel films were memorable soundtracks. Shame Junkie XL didn't come back.

Joss Whedon's witty dialogue is easily seen here.  Batman's dry sense of humor is on full display. The action was fine. Wonder Woman's action sequences were the best of them all. Honestly, the story was pretty basic, but not really unexpected. All in all, I recommend it.

8/10

Last edited by funmiproductions (November 21, 2017 (10:44am))

funmiproductions wrote:

Justice League
This was a good time at the movies. Not perfect, but not a disaster like critics has led you to believe.

Too bad it seems that Justice League will end up being a disaster in the box office, unless Thanksgiving weekend can reel in the big crowds...

funmiproductions wrote:

All the members of the league, especially Affleck, Gadot, and Miller were great.

I don't want to hate on Ezra Miller's performance, as I feel that his character's issues were mostly the writing team's fault, however, I wasn't a fan of his flash. (And I'm not a big fan of the CW shows, either.) Was kinda bummed that they threw every nerd/weakling cliche at him in the film. But that can mostly be overlooked, as his scenes are short.

funmiproductions wrote:

A lot of easter eggs, with the 2 post-credits scenes blowing my mind.

I will never stay for a post credits sequence, and am glad that I was able to bolt out of the theater before the second one. It's just personal preference. Although I did catch the "during credits" sequence, which was a great little addition to the film.

funmiproductions wrote:

Joss Whedon's witty dialogue is easily seen here.

That's the only thing that I didn't like about the film, to be honest. I don't get the appeal of Joss Whedon, and have personally never been able to get into any of his prior work... I hate that Marvel/Disney cocky character writing that tries to be witty, but ultimately is just one step above fart jokes. Poe Dameron, Starlord, Iron Man, Affleck's Batman, etc... never really connect with me, apart from the latter case.

The modern style of writing seen in blockbusters just seems rather lazy, IMO, and is the major reason as to why I don't go to the cinema anymore, apart from classic film exhibitions (which my theater does a lot) and the occasional film I hope I have even the slightest chance to enjoy. Apart from said classic film re-releases, I'm only seeing 4 films this year: The LEGO Batman Movie, PotC: Dead Men Tell No Tales, Justice League, and Star Wars... Compare that to 2008, where I would regularly go to the theater almost every weekend to see a new picture.

I do share your opinions on the film's overall quality though, funmi. I can put my small gripes with it behind (and honestly think that Justice League IS a step in the right direction for Hollywood), and truly recommend it.

Dyland wrote:

I'm only seeing 4 films this year: The LEGO Batman Movie, PotC: Dead Men Tell No Tales, Justice League, and Star Wars... Compare that to 2008, where I would regularly go to the theater almost every weekend to see a new picture.

Why aren't you seeing the LEGO Ninjago Movie? mini/sad

YouTubeWebsite
https://bricksafe.com/files/rioforce/internet-images/RioforceBiMSig.png
"Whatever you do, do all to the glory of God." - 1 Corinthians 10:31b

rioforce wrote:
Dyland wrote:

I'm only seeing 4 films this year: The LEGO Batman Movie, PotC: Dead Men Tell No Tales, Justice League, and Star Wars... Compare that to 2008, where I would regularly go to the theater almost every weekend to see a new picture.

Did you see it Rio? I haven't yet.

rioforce wrote:

Was sick on opening week, and never had an opportunity to see it while still in my local theater... I'll look forward to seeing it on DVD, though.

Kinda sad I missed it actually, but, whatcha gonna do?

Besides, of the LEGO films, Ninjago seemed the least interresting; I wasn't a fan of the show (aside from the pilot), and it seemed like the crude humor was gonna be on max... and I could just waste my time on a Minions flick if I needed any more of that. mini/tongue

Don't get me wrong, though. I will try to see it ASAP.