Topic: A done-to-death question: microphone?

I haven't really made an inquisitive post in this area about hardware for a while, so here's hopefully my final one before I have everything needed to get up and running. As my title suggests, I need advice on which type of mic to buy...

I've been looking at either the Blue Yeti or Snowball, and I'm swaying towards the Yeti. Before I make this purchase, I would like to know of any acclaimed alternatives in that price-range (nothing over $100), or any recommendations about the two Blue microphones. They also have to work with OS X. I'm all ears!

Re: A done-to-death question: microphone?

I just got the Blue Snowball and it is absolutely wonderful so far. I think the Snowball is supposed to be real versatile and user-friendly, and that is why I like it. However the Yeti I believe is more customizable and complex in the ways that you record sounds so it may be better for someone who knows what they are doing. Although somebody should clarify this because I have never used a Blue Yeti microphone before so I have no clue what it is like. mini/smile

Thanks for the additional info! I do think I will go with the Yeti, but I'm still open to suggestions! mini/tongue

I do not own one, but I have heard only great things about the Blue Yeti, specifically its sharp pickup range.

You may also want to look into the MXL 990; it is well under the $100 price range and in some places you can get an included shock mount. I do believe it requires a 48V Phantom power supply, which can be purchased for about $20. The reason I suggest the 990 is that it records great, clear vocals and would be great for brickfilms.

http://i46.tinypic.com/vo24ow.png

I use the Logitech USB desktop mic. It's $30, and runs for Mac.(and PC)

I have the yeti, and it's fantastic. If you're on a budget though, the snowball should suit most of your needs.

THAC XIV entry here: (Never) Meant To Be

Sean wrote:

I have the yeti, and it's fantastic. If you're on a budget though, the snowball should suit most of your needs.

I completely agree. I have the Yeti and I love it. Great quality and versatility in recording. The only thing I could think of as being a side effect is its size. It is like a foot tall and weighs a good 3-4 pounds. Not a problem for me at all, but I know some people who prefer smaller mics.
The snowball probably would be just fine though if you want to save a bit of money.

Thanks Gopher, GBH, Sean and AnW, I think I'll go with the Yeti, as I don't care too much about its size/weight, and I'm glad you all have confirmed its quality! It's on sale for $96 on Amazon... So they'll be a Yeti coming my way soon. mini/lol Appreciated the help!

Glad to help....keep in mind [the Yeti] is relatively large so you will need to clear your desktop area mini/wink

Last edited by Gopher (January 1, 2013 (06:31pm))

http://i46.tinypic.com/vo24ow.png

I have a Snowball, and I recently bought a Yeti pro because I wanted the XLR output option. Yeti's like the snowball, but better in every way as far as quality. The sound quality is significantly improved, but I've done all my recent LEGO movies with the snowball, for reference.

The Yeti is kind of huge. Not as easily portable as the snowball, if that matters.

http://i.imgur.com/wcmcdmf.png

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8073/8335433783_f927a4b2bf.jpg

I do indeed have a bit of space on my newly cleaned desk - how big is the Yeti in comparison to my desk light? If its much taller, I'll have to keep it at my feet next to Dalek. mini/smile I won't be taking places, so that doesn't worry me.

Looking at the Yeti sitting next to me, I'd say it's a little over a foot tall, so I think it's shorter than the desk lamp, but I'm not positive; and just to reiterate, it's a god when it comes to audio quality. mini/smile

P.S. We should rename this the everyone with an extra $100 dollars should buy a Blue Yeti thread mini/tongue

I'd estimate it coming to just around the lip of your lamp's head, height wise.

I would recommend purchasing or making a pop filter. I got one from Blue for free due to some stuff-ups on their end, but you can easily make one with a stocking and a coat hanger.

THAC XIV entry here: (Never) Meant To Be

Sean wrote:

I would recommend purchasing or making a pop filter.

I was just coming to say that. You can get one for around $15 on amazon; totally worth it, it definitely makes a difference. mini/smile

Thanks for the height info, I'll probably stow it away under my desk when not in use. The international shipping from Amazon will be likely to be high due to the Yeti's size... great. mini/tongue

I will definitely look into getting or making a pop filter, thanks for making me aware of its necessity!

I ordered Blue Yeti MIC Recently for almost under USD 150 and the one-day delivery charges included in that price. Received my MIC on Sunday. I found the plug button loosen a bit, every time I put it to ON Stage, the plug between Switched OFF.

NO doubt about the sound quality, it is very amazing and the stand which comes with Blue Yeti is pretty sturdy too. The only thing i don't like about the stand is - It is very heavy, the mic is very lightweight but the stand omg is very heavy. Apart from the fact that Sound is very amazing but sometimes i heard Click Click sound in the recording.

I have dropped an email regarding the click sound to the official id of the company and they have replaced the entore mic. All over my Experience with Blue Yeti is just OKAY, nothing outstanding but the comapny do care about the customers very well.

I have seen Blue Yeti counted among the best gaming Microphones, especially for gamers becasue of the cardioid fuctionality it offers. You can read about Blue Yeti here - https://www.glinkster.com/best-gaming-microphones/

You can ask me anything about Yeti, I master their every bit of Guide and problem mini/tongue