Topic: Dolly Test

Here's a test I tried with my new tripod dolly rig.

Re: Dolly Test

Nicely done!
There appears to be a slight bump in elevation about halfway through, but the dolly itself seems even and smooth.
If you wanted an even sliding, that's great.
I'd love to see your rig, by the way.

Personally, when going from two subjects, rather than a simple landscape pan, I prefer a bit more easing in and out. That would allow it to slow down on the ends, and give it a bit more speed and force in the middle. However, that may not have been what you were going for here.

Also, after watching it several times, it appears that the whole baseplate and camera turned slightly a couple of times. (Keep an eye on the corner of the wall in the very back.) Did you have everything secured to the table? That obviously wouldn't be an issue if you had a full set, but it's something to watch out for.

TL;DR
Great even pan! Your new rig did an excellent job, and looking beyond a few tiny bumps, I'd call this quite a success! Good job!

Nice. Here's my take on the slow in/out (aka easing, though I hate that term since I learned it as slow in/out and apparently ease is named oppositely so it confuses me)

It appears you have the camera accelerating until exactly halfway through the move, then decelerating on the second half.
So in a sequence of frames a-k, f is the halfway point, and let's say here is the spacing:
ab.c..d...e....f....g...h..i.jk
It uniformly accelerates up until f, then instantly begins to uniformly decelerate.

I think it might feel a little more natural if you accelerate up to a max speed, hold that speed for a bit, then decelerate.
In this example, it hits max speed at letter d, holds that speed through h, then decelerates.
ab.c..d...e...f...g...h..i.jk

This gives it a feel of having a certain coefficient of friction and a fixed amount of mass that limits how much energy can be applied to the camera.

Now, if I wanted to go into more detail than is probably necessary...
Since moving an object requires more effort to overcome the initial friction of a stationary object, I might even have the first inbetween favor the initial pose, then have a sudden jump in acceleration before building the rest of the acceleration gradually. So for the acceleration, instead of:
a.b..c...d....e.....f
I might try
ab...c...d....e.....f
having the b frame right up against the a, and then a bigger jump from b to c as the object overcomes the initial friction, then continuing as before.
And then if it didn't look right I wouldn't use it after all! Haha...

Take a look at this scene from The Incredibles https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-Ij7ElJnqM
Aside from being a hilarious scene in which Helen Parr is being shown mockups of her baby being shot at and incinerated to show the durability of the suit, has a great gritty physics to the panning of the chair tram and the camera that follows it. Of course while this gritty realism perfectly underscores the shock of the scene, this sort of camera moevement is usually intended to be invisible in most movie camera moves, though it's still a good study in the physics of a dolly camera movement.

Last edited by thistof (May 14, 2018 (02:23am))

https://bricksafe.com/files/thistof/hillbillyheist/TofAnimation.png

Thanks for all the feedback and advice! I'm just getting into this so I'm going to try all of you're tips. Here's a link to the rig.

Ooh, very nice. Tempting! Thanks.

https://bricksafe.com/files/thistof/hillbillyheist/TofAnimation.png

I got that I exact one it's very useful

YouTube

I'm a Brickfilmer that loves smooth animation and attention to detail.