Topic: The LEGO Movie 2 Announced for 2019

Two days ago, LEGO and Warner Bros. announced that The LEGO Movie 2 is coming out in February 2019 (that's next year!).
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/De3Ed_aUwAEzLdD.jpg:small

That They come in pieces headline seems rather ominous....

Yesterday, they released the trailer. If you all haven't see the trailer, here it is below:

Who else is excited for this movie? I feel like it'll be a worthy sequel to the first LEGO Movie. It looks like a lot of fun and a cool universe to explore in movie form. The post apocalyptic setting looks wicked cool. Also the presence of the minidoll makes me excited for more minidoll parts!

What are your thoughts on it? I'd love to hear them!

YouTubeTwitterInstagram
http://bricksafe.com/files/rioforce/internet-images/brawl17-sig.png
"Whatever you do, do all to the glory of God." - 1 Corinthians 10:31b

Re: The LEGO Movie 2 Announced for 2019

we all already know, Rio. :-P
haha, seriously though, I’m super excited for this. I’m especially interested in seeing bricksburg as a post-apocalyptic landscape. (Although TBH, Larry the barista’s transformation was a bit jarring.)
I’m not quite as optimistic about the other half, the whole “sistar” thing, but I’m sure it’ll shape up to be interesting in the movie, and that it’ll also grow on me when new trailers are released.

[ AWESOMEPANTS FILMS ]
check out my brickfilm channel!
10pX100 pixels is not a reasonable amount for my avatar

Re: The LEGO Movie 2 Announced for 2019

Wow, that looks really bad. I'll probably skip this one.

https://i.imgur.com/idUxxPX.png

Re: The LEGO Movie 2 Announced for 2019

Noooo, why would you say it looks bad? It looks like it could be a lot of fun.

YouTubeTwitterInstagram
http://bricksafe.com/files/rioforce/internet-images/brawl17-sig.png
"Whatever you do, do all to the glory of God." - 1 Corinthians 10:31b

Re: The LEGO Movie 2 Announced for 2019

rioforce wrote:

Noooo, why would you say it looks bad? It looks like it could be a lot of fun.

Looks like it's going to be quite a bit similar to the first one, but with friends dolls repressing growing up sister instead of businessman representing cut off dad. So I'm looking forward to it, humor seems the same. mini/smile

Re: The LEGO Movie 2 Announced for 2019

I mean, there was a bit of controversy when Friends was first introduced. And now Lego's playing off of that, which just seems odd to me.

Plus, I hate Mad Max & Rogue One type gritty war films, and this seems to be a Lego-ified version of that, at least for the beginning. Plus, the Sistar system seems like it could one of those dated 1950's female-only planets, which generally led to a narrative that ended up "preserving" the nuclear family in the end (male travelers hooked up with the female natives, who initially rejected them) and, that sort of thing just wouldn't sit well today - even if it's dumbed down to an, ok, we can just stop fighting and be friends ending to be more kid friendly.

That, and, even from the first film, I had some gripes with the comedy... but at least I laughed through The Lego Movie and The Lego Batman Movie. This teaser didn't make me laugh once. That, plus the overbearing brick built effects, overly bouncy animation, and overall feel just was a turn off for me.

I'd much rather catch up and watch the Ninjago movie, which I missed, rather than sit through this. It seems like it could be good, don't get me wrong. But, with the way recent movie-going experiences have been for me (PotC 5, which was weak, Justice League, which was bogged with some issues, and The Last Jedi I won't get into)... I'd rather just pass on, what so far looks like less of a love letter to brickfilmers, and more of a jingling keys for toddlers type of minimum effort comedy.

Again, I'd love to be proven wrong. But, I won't be seeing this one in theaters, that's for certain. So far, it seems like it's everything I DIDN'T like about The Lego Movie (which wasn't much), repackaged into another 2 hour feature.

https://i.imgur.com/idUxxPX.png

Re: The LEGO Movie 2 Announced for 2019

I also wasn't really into the jokes in this trailer, but I think some of your criticisms are veering into blind speculation at this point.

Re: The LEGO Movie 2 Announced for 2019

Penta wrote:

I think some of your criticisms are veering into blind speculation at this point.

Certainly. And, more trailers could potentially clear up a lot of this.

But, I'm just trying to avoid a theater walk-out, (something I very nearly have done with increasing frequency as of late) especially to something based around a subject I really enjoy: Lego.

I just wouldn't want to see a sequel to The Lego Movie be mishandled. With the company going through their first non-profit quarters, and having to can things like the Dimensions game, I wouldn't want to see this film hurt them any further.

https://i.imgur.com/idUxxPX.png

Re: The LEGO Movie 2 Announced for 2019

Wasn't sure what to think of a Lego Movie sequel, but expectations have been raised by the teaser trailer. This looks really cool, and I like how the ending of the first movie isn't just left as a little gag, and never addressed again, but rather actually has some steaks. I can't wait to see this!

Cut & Run - 3rd Place Winner of Movie Magic
https://goo.gl/stcePM                                               
YouTube Twitter "Be on your guard; stand firm in the faith; be courageous; be strong." 1 Corinthians 16:13

Re: The LEGO Movie 2 Announced for 2019

I think the whole idea of a lego movie sequel may work, but I am still worried about the franchise after seeing the Ninjago movie. This may be a step in the right direction though.

Re: The LEGO Movie 2 Announced for 2019

It looked really cool until the "hapless male" part. Kids don't need to be poisoned by adults' bitterness about gender issues left over from the age of the dinosaurs. Give the next generation a fresh start and let them form their own perceptions. Treat boys and girls equally. For that reason my interest has waned sharply.

https://bricksafe.com/files/thistof/reception.png

Re: The LEGO Movie 2 Announced for 2019

Admittedly, I rolled my eyes a little at that part. Lines like that feel more like a product of the 80s/90s, but it doesn't bother me that much. I don't imagine it will take up much of the movie. Every line and joke is delivered at such a quick pace, that you'll soon forget about it.

Most of the concerns from Dyland come very much from personal preference. If you're not into gritty, Mad Max style settings, it might not be for you, but that being said, I don't think it'll take itself too seriously. If the first movie taught us anything, it's that in the right hands, a very commercial movie about a big bad corporate guy doesn't have to suck, despite having similar themes to really bad kids movies. So, I wouldn't be deceived by perceptions too much. I do wish Lord and Miller were directing this one too, but with that being said, I do have a lot of faith that it can potentially be a very strong follow-up to the original.

Cut & Run - 3rd Place Winner of Movie Magic
https://goo.gl/stcePM                                               
YouTube Twitter "Be on your guard; stand firm in the faith; be courageous; be strong." 1 Corinthians 16:13

Re: The LEGO Movie 2 Announced for 2019

Here’s my 2 cents:

Stuff I liked:
- The post apocalyptic version of bricksburg. (I think it’s pretty cool.)
- The fact that everyone has changed except Emmet. (2 reasons: The new character designs are interesting, and Emmet is a really interesting contrast to everyone else.)
- Emmet’s optimism here is very entertaining and hillarious and heartwarming all at the same time.
- A new version of everything is awesome.
- The turn signal gag. (That was just genius IMO.)
- Sewer babies. (WHat the heck are sewer babies? IDK but I love them!)

Stuff I didn’t like:

- All this stuff about the “hapless male.” Emmet proved himself a worthy master builder in the last movie.
- The sistar system, but I think this’ll grow on me as new trailers are released.
- Batman, unikitty, metalbeard, and Benny all oohing in unison. They all have distinct personalities and wouldn’t realistically do something like that. I get that it’s for a gag, but it’s not that funny of a gag anyways.
- We don’t see returning characters besides Emmet/Lucy say any dialogue.
- Vitruvius is nowhere to be seen, even in his ghost form.

[ AWESOMEPANTS FILMS ]
check out my brickfilm channel!
10pX100 pixels is not a reasonable amount for my avatar

Re: The LEGO Movie 2 Announced for 2019

William Osborne, well said. I'm sure I'll still go see the movie, it looks fantastic otherwise. Just sad to see these creative people falling back on such a cliched trope and not even putting a fresh spin on it.

As for the Lorax, that's interesting. This is the second time this week someone has brought that up as an example of bad animated movies, though I'm not sure why. I remember borrowing it from the library and only watching about 10-20 minutes of it. I don't remember why, I think I was just bored or not interested in it much.

https://bricksafe.com/files/thistof/reception.png

Re: The LEGO Movie 2 Announced for 2019

The movie poster looks cool. I really like the smudges and scratches that make the fig look really realistic(really).

Character is what you are in the dark. - Dwight L. Moody
---
Youtube Channel

Re: The LEGO Movie 2 Announced for 2019

I like it.  It looks great; I love the visual aesthetics and animation.  It looks like we'll be getting some fun LEGO sets out of this.  I'm digging the post-apocalyptic Bricksburg in particular.   (If nothing else, those might supply some great parts for a possible Fallout brickfilm...) Overall there isn't much to go on, but it's nice to see they're following up the ending of the first LEGO Movie.  So, all in all, I'm excited.

Dyland wrote:

I hate Mad Max & Rogue One type gritty war films, and this seems to be a Lego-ified version of that, at least for the beginning. Plus, the Sistar system seems like it could one of those dated 1950's female-only planets, which generally led to a narrative that ended up "preserving" the nuclear family in the end (male travelers hooked up with the female natives, who initially rejected them) and, that sort of thing just wouldn't sit well today - even if it's dumbed down to an, ok, we can just stop fighting and be friends ending to be more kid friendly.

I get being apprehensive about TLM 2 and/or not liking all of the jokes in the trailer, but... seriously?  It seems to me that you're making huge assumptions about the film with little justification, and outright projecting what you disliked about TLM onto this trailer, with very little to back up your statements either way. 

I'm not sure why you'd immediately assume that this is a "Mad Max & Rogue One type gritty war film", because it's pretty obviously parodying that kind of film (plus, how could you possibly hate Fury Road?).  I personally find the idea that something like "Taco Tuesday" caused that much destruction/the collapse of society to be pretty darkly humorous.  In fact I'd say the opening of the trailer feels like an outright jab at something like BvS or Fury Road, complete with the over-the-top orange filter and a Mad Max-ified Larry the Barista.  And I'm not sure where you get the idea that the Sistar System will be a "1950s female-only planet", because there is literally nothing to suggest that this will be the case.  If anything, knowing the writing style of Lord, Miller & co., they're far more likely to subvert or undermine this concept.

That, plus the overbearing brick built effects, overly bouncy animation, and overall feel just was a turn off for me.

Right.  Because a movie about a fun, colourful, exaggerated, stylised, and creative building toy obviously shouldn't have fun, colourful, exaggerated, stylised, and creative aesthetics and effects to reflect that.  I guess we should just stick the crappy CGI and "flex arms" animation of days gone by.

I get your concern, but at this point it sounds like you've already decided to hate on it out of the box and are making blind assumptions based on nothing but your own biases. 

thistof wrote:

It looked really cool until the "hapless male" part. Kids don't need to be poisoned by adults' bitterness about gender issues left over from the age of the dinosaurs. Give the next generation a fresh start and let them form their own perceptions. Treat boys and girls equally. For that reason my interest has waned sharply.

Calling it outright "bitterness" feels a bit strong.  To me it felt like a light-hearted if rather on-the-nose jab about how a lot of leads in films are male (which, let's be honest, is a real problem in Hollywood), and often are allowed to make a lot of dumb decisions because they'll get bailed out by their hyper-competent sidekick.  If anything it's an extension of their dynamic in TLM (remember when Vitruvius said that Emmett was the Special precisely because his mind was so empty and unoriginal?).  I'll admit it seems kind of harsh given Emmett's character arc and his growing into becoming the Special, but it's also possible Lucy is resentful for being sidelined... which would be some really interesting character development.  If TLM is anything to go by, this will be handled with a lot more nuance than it appears in the trailers.

To comment on your comment about "gender issues from the age of dinosaurs"... if they're really so old, why are they still being discussed? If it was as simple as "treating boys and girls equally" we'd already have solved the problem.  Having a "fresh start" is impossible because kids are influenced by the world that surrounds them.  Every generation is formed by the norms and values of the generation preceding it.  These issues aren't going to go away just because we choose to ignore them--which is true of any other issue.

Last edited by Mr Vertigo (June 8, 2018 (03:23pm))

Retribution (3rd place in BRAWL 2015)

&Smeagol      make the most of being surrounded by single, educated women your own age on a regular basis in college
AquaMorph    I dunno women are expensive

Re: The LEGO Movie 2 Announced for 2019

Mr Vertigo wrote:

Calling it outright "bitterness" feels a bit strong.  To me it felt like a light-hearted if rather on-the-nose jab about how a lot of leads in films are male (which, let's be honest, is a real problem in Hollywood), and often are allowed to make a lot of dumb decisions because they'll get bailed out by their hyper-competent sidekick.  If anything it's an extension of their dynamic in TLM (remember when Vitruvius said that Emmett was the Special precisely because his mind was so empty and unoriginal?).  I'll admit it seems kind of harsh given Emmett's character arc and his growing into becoming the Special, but it's also possible Lucy is resentful for being sidelined... which would be some really interesting character development.  If TLM is anything to go by, this will be handled with a lot more nuance than it appears in the trailers.

To comment on your comment about "gender issues from the age of dinosaurs"... if they're really so old, why are they still being discussed? If it was as simple as "treating boys and girls equally" we'd already have solved the problem.  Having a "fresh start" is impossible because kids are influenced by the world that surrounds them.  Every generation is formed by the norms and values of the generation preceding it. These issues aren't going to go away just because we choose to ignore them--which is true of any other issue.

Thank you!!!! After reading all the other comments I was beginning to think I was the only one with that opinion! mini/lol

That was, in my opinion, the funniest part of the trailer for me. It's not entirely true of course since Emmet did do some of the building etc., but I just see it as Lego poking fun at the stereotype of Hollywood films, which is something that never gets old.

YouTube   |  Facebook

Who even reads this?

Re: The LEGO Movie 2 Announced for 2019

Mr Vertigo wrote:

It seems to me that you're... outright projecting what you disliked about TLM onto this trailer, with very little to back up your statements either way.

I mean, if someone didn't like the first film, why would they watch the sequel? I'm not saying that I didn't enjoy TLM (quite the contrary) however, the elements of that film that I did disliked, were not only absent from TLM's trailers, but, seem like the focus for this trailer...

Besides, most of what I've said is just speculation on my part. And isn't that sort of the point of film trailers anyhow? To encourage discussion and appeal to the target audience... I'm not the target audience of TLM 2.

Mr Vertigo  wrote:

I'm not sure why you'd immediately assume that this is a "Mad Max & Rogue One type gritty war film", because it's pretty obviously parodying that kind of film...

Certainly. But I don't like that form of media, since it isn't entertaining to me. Parody or otherwise. (Besides, isn't the whole post-apocalyptic/rise of anarchy sort of genre a parody of itself by this point anyway?)

Your responses to both my thoughts, and thistof's seem a bit "bitter" themselves, tbh. I can't speak for thistof, but I do not purport to be a professional film critic - we were just sharing our opinions on the new trailer, as is everyone here. No need to get bent out of shape about it.

If you're excited for the film, I hope you see it - and it would be awesome if it meets (or even exceeds) your expectations! mini/smile

I, for one, will probably pass. I don't need to go see a movie I'd bet is going to disappoint me. - Because, at the end of the day, entertainment is there for one purpose - to entertain. Sure, I could be wrong (wouldn't be the first time), but at the end of the day, filmmakers pour their heart and soul into every project for the leisure pleasure of others. If I know I won't like the film, I'd be doing them a disservice by seeing it.

https://i.imgur.com/idUxxPX.png

Re: The LEGO Movie 2 Announced for 2019

Dragon Brick Studios wrote:

I just see it as Lego poking fun at the stereotype of Hollywood films, which is something that never gets old.

That's an interesting point of view. I remember a lot of people being upset about the high heels scene in Jurassic World, which I thought was a very funny tongue in cheek reference to old hollywood and cheap suspense moments where you shout at the TV "take off your shoes you dummy!" I'll try my best to see the "hapless male" joke in that light. I guess in the end the alien saw through Wild Style's hypocrisy at trying to throw Emmet under the bus as the chosen one while still wanting it to be known that she was the real hero.

Mr Vertigo wrote:

To comment on your comment about "gender issues from the age of dinosaurs"... if they're really so old, why are they still being discussed? If it was as simple as "treating boys and girls equally" we'd already have solved the problem.

I just feel that it's a deep and complex issue which deserves to be explored in a more meaningful way. I hope they handle it in a more three dimensional approach, as the Ninjago Movie did with touching on the issue of having divorced parents.

Last edited by thistof (June 9, 2018 (11:20am))

https://bricksafe.com/files/thistof/reception.png

Re: The LEGO Movie 2 Announced for 2019

I'm pretty psyched for this, I thought they nailed the visual look of post-apocalypse Bricksburg.

Also, I kinda think some of y'all may be reading into the "hapless male" gag a little too far, but that's just me.