Topic: BRAWL 2018 is OVER!

https://i.imgur.com/Wl7m16Z.jpg?1

BRAWL has Begun!
Brickfilm Rapidly All Week Long or BRAWL, is a contest in which you have ONE WEEK to write, build sets, voice, animate, edit, sound mix, and submit a brickfilm from scratch. Beginning right now, you have one week to do all of that. Any entries not received by July 15th, 2018 12:00 am (00:00) BST (British Standard Time) will be disqualified. It’s not an easy task, but that’s what makes it fun!

Theme & MOD Elements
The theme for BRAWL 2018 is Kairos. Now I know what you’re thinking, what does kairos mean? It’s defined by Merriam-Webster as “the opportune and decisive moment.” Basically, it means a very crucial and important moment. How does that impact your story? That’s for you to decide! Think of something creative, unique, and out of the box! As long as myself and the judges can tell that kairos is an essential part of your story, you’re good to go!

This year, in commemoration of BRAWL’s 10-year anniversary, the color MOD element is the same as The First BRAWL: a YELLOW piece connected to or directly touching a BLUE piece. The letter MOD element is the letter 'E'

Furthermore, all entries must clearly show the BRAWL 2018 logo for three uninterrupted seconds. The logos may be inserted digitally. Several high-quality resolution versions of the BRAWL 2018 logo can be found here.

To prove that you made your film within the time limit, at least one of the mod elements must appear in every shot of your animation. You do not need to use both mod elements. You can combine these mod elements in any way that you see fit, so long as at least one is present at all times. You could choose to use just the color mod or just the letter mod, you could choose to use both, you could alternate between scenes, or any combination of the above. All that is important is that at least one of the mod elements be visible in every shot.

• The letter may be upper or lower case, but it still must be clearly that letter. The letter can be rotated but not mirrored. Again, it must be clearly identifiable as that letter. It may be written or printed on a piece of paper or sticker, drawn directly onto a brick, printed on a piece, or built from pieces and even integrated into the set. As long as the mod is intentional and recognizable.

• The letter mod element may exist on a printed LEGO piece, but it must clearly be that letter. An eyebrow or wrinkle on a minifig’s face, or a fold in the shirt on the minifig's torso are not letters.

• All mod elements must be physically present in each shot of your entry. You cannot digitally insert the mod element after you have animated the shot.
    Minifig parts (for example a red torso attached to grey legs) can count as the color mod, but bricks connected to or touching baseplates do not.

• You do not need to include either mod element in the titles or credits.

• If a shot must be clarified by changing the shot in anyway (changing brightness, black and white to color, etc) to be able to identify the mod element, the shot will be not counted as containing the mod element and the entry will most likely be disqualified. See next rule for one exception regarding the cropping of the image.

• For particular shots where including the mod element would be disruptive to your artistic vision (such as extreme close-ups and shots with very low depth of field), you may include a legal mod element in the shot and then crop the mod element out in post-production. You then must provide an uncropped frame from that shot and explain in detail the cropped shot in the submission email. You will have to provide separate proof for each shot.

• The acceptable colors are (as designated on Bricklink):
        Yellow (Bricklink color ID: 3)
        Trans-Yellow (Bricklink color ID: 19)
        Blue (Bricklink color ID: 7)
        Dark Blue (Bricklink color ID: 63)
        Trans Dark Blue (Bricklink color ID: 14)
        Trans Light Blue (Bricklink color ID: 15)
    Please note that other yellow or blue color variants, such as Dark Yellow, Dark/Medium Azure, Sky Blue, or Sand Blue, are not accepted. Here is a link to the overall Bricklink Color Guide.

The Rules

• The entry must be entirely made and submitted in one week’s time. To prove this, one or both of the MOD elements must be present in every shot of your entry.  (more information below).

• Your entry must consist primarily of LEGO (or similar building-block toy) stop-motion animation. Live-action, CGI, hand-drawn, or other forms of film or animation may be used to supplement your entry, but stop-motion animation must be the primary focus.

• Your entry must consist of at least 30 seconds of stop-motion animation. There is no maximum time limit.

• No mature/explicit content is allowed. This includes, but is not limited to: swearing, excessive/gory violence, overt sexual content, and blatant drug references.

• You must not make your entry public until the deadline has passed.
    The entry you submit to the judges must be the entry made publicly available to everyone else. You cannot create a version of your film that includes the mod element to send to the judges, and then publicly release a second version of your film that has the mod element removed.

• Use of copyrighted material (including music) is allowed, though discouraged. Use of copyrighted material will not affect the judging of your entry.

• Entries based off of previous copyrighted material (Star Wars, Marvel, Batman, etc.) are allowed, but discouraged. It could affect the judging of your film due to unoriginality. Because of the limited time frame and because this isn’t a music contest, you are allowed to use music created before the contest, either original music created beforehand or copyrighted music.

Submission   
Please send all entries to [email protected] before 12:00 am (00:00) BST (British Standard Time) on July 15th, 2018, any entries sent after this time will be disqualified.

Write the subject of your email in this format:
BRAWL 2018 Entry, [Your Bricks in Motion username], “[Title of your film]”
For example: BRAWL 2018 Entry, Chris W., “Homefront 2: The Homefront-ening”

Entries must be uploaded to one of these websites…
1. Unlisted YouTube video. To make your video unlisted, go to the video page and click the little blue icon next to the video title, then select UNLISTED from the drop-down menu.
2. Password-protected Vimeo video. To make your video password-protected, go to the video page and click Settings, then under the Privacy tab, choose "Only people with a password". Please remember to include the password in your email! If I cannot view your entry, I cannot accept it.

I will send a response email as soon as I see you have provided a working video link. I will send a follow-up email if I find a problem with your film (e.g. a missing MOD element). Please note, if you are sending in your film the last day of the contest. A verification that your video follows all the rules may not be sent before the deadline as I receive about 80% of the entries the last day. Please check your video to make sure it is compliant with all rules before you send it to me.

Optionally, for entries whose primary language is NOT in the English language, a second version of the film may be submitted 48 hours after the deadline with added English subtitles so the judges have a better understanding of the film. In order to submit the subtitled film, the following criteria must be met:

• An entry must have been submitted before the one week deadline July 15th, 2018 12:00 am (00:00) BST.
• The subtitled entry will be a modified version of the entry submitted before the one-week deadline. The only change that can be made is English subtitles being added. No extra shots, no extra audio, not even a change in color grade. If any changes are found, the subtitled entry will be considered void and the previously submitted non-subtitled entry will be judged.
• The subtitled entry must be submitted no later than 48 hours after the end of the BRAWL contest July 15th, 2018 12:00 am (00:00) BST

Judging & Prizes

The judges for BRAWL 2018 are:
Chris W.
AquaMorph
Lucas
MindGame
Mighty Wanderer

Entries will be judged on criteria including originality, production values (animation, set design, cinematography, sound, etc.), story, and creative interpretation of the theme by the 5 judges.  Films will be discussed and ranked collectively by the judges until a consensus is reached. The top 3 films will eligible for the prize pool. Entries below 10th place will not be publicly ranked.

Prizes
We have a prize pool this year, with three LEGO prizes! They are:

Two Series 18 Minifigures

https://i.imgur.com/naQ8uTL.jpg

LEGO Creative Supplement Set

https://i.imgur.com/sLoFKkI.jpg

And a Go Brick Me Set

https://i.imgur.com/K1Bc75f.jpg

First place gets first pick, second place gets second pick, and third place gets the prize that’s left.

If you have any questions, you can post them in this thread. I’ll do my best to get back with you in a timely manner, and feel free to answer questions for other people. I’ll also be in the BiM Discord chat. You can ask your questions under the #brickfilming-lego topic. While myself and the judges will be around to try to answer questions, try to ask your friends or others first! We can only be answering so many things at once.

Feel free to post updates in this thread, make a BRAWL 2018 Production Thread, or share updates on social media with the hashtag #BRAWL2018!

Now let’s start this BRAWL!

Accepted Entries
Tiny World Studios
Shawarma Studios
adruber
Humbug
spacesushi
chris@gbp
Sonjira
Goblinanimations
brickorbrack
William Osborne
twickabrick
HoverfrogFilms
OneDouglas
thistof
Headpods
END films
Formal Lens
ForlornCreature
nswihart
AnimatorUnknown
BeatupBricks Productions
Penta
Feinstein Films
Joshua Nelson
pjlegomotion
Squid (x2)
Dunmandude
Dragon Brick Studios
rioforce
Amari Studios
Plastic Point Productions
Aroben
Pongowl
TheClassicSpaceman

-infinity brick studios (mods)
-thebombtv (mods)
-Armstrong Bros. Productions (late)

You can watch all the entries here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P … JiIjLiTIPP

Last edited by Chris W. (July 14, 2018 (07:17pm))

Re: BRAWL 2018 is OVER!

Yes!

Good luck everyone!

Former BRAWL host, 2013-2017
             Youtube   Twitter

Going to be interesting.

YouTube | Vimeo

SLEEP IS AN IRRESISTIBLE FORCE - BrickLord

Good luck to all who enter! Have fun!

YouTube   |  Twitter

Who even reads this?

Eyyyy lets go!

YouTubeWebsite
https://bricksafe.com/files/rioforce/internet-images/RioforceBiMSig.png
"Whatever you do, do all to the glory of God." - 1 Corinthians 10:31b

ligthts, camera,..... I feel like I'm missing something.... BRAWL!!!! good luck to everyone! mini/bigsmile

give it all you've got and give all the glory to God!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCYQTg … wxCsPHpRkw

The Nile isn't just a river in Egypt, and Cairos isn't just the plural form of Egypt's capital... mini/sunnies

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49566491787_1f24d954b6_o.jpg

Website  ✧  YouTube  ✧  Flickr  ✧  Soli Deo Gloria

I will enter

Uuuuugh...  mini/confused The theme really doesn't inspire me this year... I will not enter. Good luck to all the participants! mini/cat

Worldwide Brickfilm Community : Brick à Brack

YouTube Channel : MBstudio
Twitter : @MBstudio_Movies

Can't wait to start!

MBstudio wrote:

Uuuuugh...  mini/confused The theme really doesn't inspire me this year... I will not enter. Good luck to all the participants! mini/cat

That is a shame, seeing as you have been making great BRAWL entries for a couple of years in a row now. I hope if an idea does cross your mind, you might be willing to reconsider. I also wasn't sure what to make of the theme, but in Discord, ForlornCreature said "I see it as crafting a film around one moment, which is a pretty good rule for short films", and that succinct summary has helped me understand how to incorporate the theme into a story.

Nothing like another short time limit contest to get me animating again. mini/smile

Too bad I won't be able to enter this one... Moving and all.

Guess I'll have to catch the 11th anniversary.

Edit: Scratch that.

Just might be able to whip up something in the day or two I have free. mini/tongue

So excited!

Last edited by Dyland (July 8, 2018 (04:28pm))

https://i.imgur.com/Z8VtGae.png

MBstudio wrote:

I'll probably do the same. Wasn't inspired either. Good theme nevertheless.

Dyland wrote:

Too bad I won't be able to enter this one... Moving and all.

Guess I'll have to catch the 11th anniversary.

For a while was thinking the same, but I was crazy enough to pack some lego and lamps in the van and animate during a 5 day stop at grandparents, wish me luck. mini/twitch

Glad to see this contest lives on! Haven't done any real stopmotion in years, but.. maybe I'll be able to clobber 30s together, who knows. Good luck to all, always love seeing the outputs of this!

Patrick / TheDuckCow

http://theduckcow.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/design_flaw.png
Moo-ack Productions! Latest release: "Design Flaw"~Patrick W. Crawford

Love this theme! Hopefully this year, I'll actually finish my entry.

YouTube | Twitter | Brick à Brack | Discord @ Undershadow#9982
   -- If a frame were worth a dollar, I'd be a millionaire by now --

Hey, I have a quick question about the letter mod rule: "The letter can be rotated but not mirrored."

So, a capital 'E' rotated 180 degrees is the same thing as a mirrored E. If I include the E rotated 180 degrees, will that still be valid?

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49566491787_1f24d954b6_o.jpg

Website  ✧  YouTube  ✧  Flickr  ✧  Soli Deo Gloria

PdoubleyouC wrote:

Glad to see this contest lives on! Haven't done any real stopmotion in years, but.. maybe I'll be able to clobber 30s together, who knows. Good luck to all, always love seeing the outputs of this!

Patrick / TheDuckCow

Hi! mini/bigsmile That would be great; glad to see you on here. I still remember Design Flaw.