Topic: [BRAWL 2018] Margaret's Pretzels

Directory Link

Margaret's Pretzels | BRAWL 2018

[Watch Now]

Timing is everything.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49566491787_1f24d954b6_o.jpg

Website  ✧  YouTube  ✧  Flickr  ✧  Soli Deo Gloria

Re: [BRAWL 2018] Margaret's Pretzels

Great work! I love how this film manages to be gritty without coming across as "edgy" or otherwise doing something that could take the viewer out of the experience. Your animation never fails to impress, either.

What's even more impressive is how when watched alongside rioforce's entry, the two films both become better as a result. They play off each other really well despite how different they both are, and it's great that you were able to pull that off.

The lighting is a little washed out and hazy at times, but it's nothing that takes away from the film. Overall, this is one fantastic entry. mini/smile

Last edited by AnimatorUnknown (July 15, 2018 (11:04am))

What an awesome tie-in! I saw Rioforce's entry first, and had no idea that the 2 were connected, but I really loved how well they worked together, yet manage to work well on their own as well.

Also, I really like the slick look of the film. It was visually really great and the lighting was fantastic.

I really like how you wobble the heads when they talk. It really adds a lot of movement in the figures. Upon rewatching, it looks like you've chipped off the bottoms off the necks to pull of the wobble effect - is this true?

I love this, Pong! I'm glad we decided to collaborate. It was a lot of fun! Thanks for the clips you provided for my video and the idea!

The animation is beautiful per usual, with the cool head bobbing and all. Also Lainie and Megrae are excellent voice actresses, applause all around!

YouTubeWebsite
https://bricksafe.com/files/rioforce/internet-images/RioforceBiMSig.png
"Whatever you do, do all to the glory of God." - 1 Corinthians 10:31b

I appreciate the nice comments, folks!

UnknownBrick Films wrote:

Great work! I love how this film manages to be gritty without coming across as "edgy" or otherwise doing something that could take the viewer out of the experience.

Ah thanks, UnknownBrick Films! That was one of my main goals with this film was to convey the grungy and hostile environment of a city at night without showing anything too dark. I agree with your comments on the lighting as well. In general I kinda like a hazy light effect, but I definitely went a little overboard at times mini/tongue

William Osborne wrote:

I really like how you wobble the heads when they talk. It really adds a lot of movement in the figures. Upon rewatching, it looks like you've chipped off the bottoms off the necks to pull of the wobble effect - is this true?

Thank you for your kind words, William! I couldn't go back to animating regular heads after THAC mini/mrgreen I take care to not do anything to the outside of the minifig's head, I just sand down the tube inside the head.

rioforce wrote:

I'm glad we decided to collaborate. It was a lot of fun! Thanks for the clips you provided for my video and the idea! Also Lainie and Megrae are excellent voice actresses, applause all around!

I'm glad to see it worked out well for you! It seems I'm not the only one making rioforce tie-in films-- for this year's Bricks in Motion Awards they're going to need a new category for "Director with most fan spin-offs." mini/tongue

And yes, I was truly impressed with how all the voices turned out. MegRae, Lainie, Brickcrazy, Hudson, and Rioforce all sounded excellent and were very helpful in getting the recordings done quickly. Thank you all very much.

That opening shot was really special. Seeing the metal framework up near the ceiling adds a lot of depth to the shot and it makes it feel a lot more "real" while still having that LEGO look. Don't usually get to see anything like that.

Thanks, Squid! I had originally wanted to show the ceiling in a few shots but eventually scrapped the idea for the sake of time. However I had already built the roofing girders, so I decided to show them in a top-down shot. It helped add some good parallax action to the panning movement.