Topic: Canon DSLR Flickering Issue

So I just noticed this just yesterday. I found this "flickering" issue with my Canon DSLR (a EOS Rebel T6) mini/confused. Not sure if it's light-related, but I think it's something close. It's strange since (1, this is NOT a Nikon DSLR (obviously), and Nikon sadly has been known to have flickering happen. And (2, this was happening even when I wasn't even MOVING the scene (it's just me pressing down the capturing key. no real "scene" movement). I am in manual mode, and I pretty sure I have everything set accordingly mini/what. Not sure what's the issue with the flickering though. Tried everything I can to eliminate it. Darn mini/sad.

Was wondering if any knew the problem and the reason why this is happening, and how I can fix it. If you do, that would really helpful mini/smile (I've only owned this DSLR for a month now btw mini/tongue).

I included this video below to show what's going on (it's not the best, but oh well). Let me know if any other information you need mini/wink. Hope it helps some:

https://flic.kr/p/29ubpSL

If any could also help me eliminate the grain when I'm capturing my videos, that would also be helpful mini/wink. Correct me if I made any mistakes (I make a lot of them fyi mini/lol)

Thanks for your time,
-legovideosguy

Re: Canon DSLR Flickering Issue

Here's some more info on this issue. It could have something to do with the aperture mini/confused. Almost like “aperture flickering”, I guess. I have included images below and I'll briefly try to sum what each one is basically:

http://i1045.photobucket.com/albums/b455/arcorian99/IMG_1361_zpsjuowzerr.jpg
(The one to the left is an older Canon EF 35-80mm Lens (this lens was made in like 1993). The one to the right is a newer Canon EF-S 18-55mm Lens (made in 2011), and it came with my camera. It looks like they both “adjust the aperture when they are manually zooming in and out” (maybe even when they are stable too, which would explain the flickering issue even more mini/what). This is unsure of though, just an assumption)

http://i1045.photobucket.com/albums/b455/arcorian99/IMG_1362_zpsubqjbpsd.jpg

http://i1045.photobucket.com/albums/b455/arcorian99/IMG_1363_zps97yxu64e.jpg

http://i1045.photobucket.com/albums/b455/arcorian99/IMG_1364_zpsa4jzi79g.jpg
(These three are just the settings. I wanted to confirm that I have the settings correctly. That’s it)

http://i1045.photobucket.com/albums/b455/arcorian99/IMG_1365_zpsvth7ho7b.jpg
(This final image is the camera with the scene in the background with the usual manual camera settings. Again, just confirming I have everything right here too mini/wink)

So, still if anyone can help me solve this issue that would be great. I don’t know if the vintage Nikkor lenses will solve this issue, but I’d like to stick (at least for now) with my 2 EF/EF-S lenses if I can without the annoying light or possible aperture flickering issue mini/confused. Let me know if so. And again, correct me if I made any mistakes or anything mini/wink

I can't figure it out... maybe if you uploaded an export from Dragonframe instead of recording your screen it'd be easier to figure out what's causing the flicker.

Have you turned off Auto Lighting Optimizer in the second image of your settings? It's a shot in the dark, but maybe it'll work. I can't really assess it until I see it clearly.

YouTubeWebsite
https://bricksafe.com/files/rioforce/internet-images/RioforceBiMSig.png
"Whatever you do, do all to the glory of God." - 1 Corinthians 10:31b

rioforce wrote:

I can't figure it out... maybe if you uploaded an export from Dragonframe instead of recording your screen it'd be easier to figure out what's causing the flicker.

Have you turned off Auto Lighting Optimizer in the second image of your settings? It's a shot in the dark, but maybe it'll work. I can't really assess it until I see it clearly.

I will note to do that tomorrow mini/wink. Thanks

The Auto Lighting Optimizer is in fact disabled. So, unfortunately that doesn't seem to correct the issue mini/sad. Practically everything that would potentially correct the camera is really disabled.  I really don't know WHAT is causing the issue. Hopefully once I export the feed from via Dragonframe it might help problem-solve this issue...

I've encountered this issue before; it's almost certainly your lenses. With auto lenses like the ones you're using, the aperture is open most of the time, it only closes when the photo is actually being taken. This was a big advancement in photography because it meant that when looking through the viewfinder, the user always had maximum light coming through to compose and focus an image. However this means that the aperture is another moving part every time you take a photo. On cheaper lenses, especially old cheaper lenses, the tolerances for how much the aperture closes each time a photo is taken aren't perfect. This isn't a big deal for stills photography, the differences are minimal, but when the photos are played in quick succession, the flicker is obvious. The only* way to fix this problem is buying old manual lenses in which the aperture stays in place. This is why if you watch behind the scenes footage at Laika, who make the highest budget stop motion films around, they're using $7000 dollar Canon DSLRs and $200 used Nikon stills lenses from the 1970's.

*There is a method that involves putting masking tape over the contacts of the lens and not attaching the lens all the way, but I've never tried it.

So here's a video of the flickering issue exported from via Dragonframe. Just note I didn't even touch the scene, and I was far away from the set. https://www.flickr.com/photos/159817563 … ed-public/

backyardlegos wrote:

I've encountered this issue before; it's almost certainly your lenses. With auto lenses like the ones you're using, the aperture is open most of the time, it only closes when the photo is actually being taken. This was a big advancement in photography because it meant that when looking through the viewfinder, the user always had maximum light coming through to compose and focus an image. However this means that the aperture is another moving part every time you take a photo. On cheaper lenses, especially old cheaper lenses, the tolerances for how much the aperture closes each time a photo is taken aren't perfect. This isn't a big deal for stills photography, the differences are minimal, but when the photos are played in quick succession, the flicker is obvious. The only* way to fix this problem is buying old manual lenses in which the aperture stays in place. This is why if you watch behind the scenes footage at Laika, who make the highest budget stop motion films around, they're using $7000 dollar Canon DSLRs and $200 used Nikon stills lenses from the 1970's.

*There is a method that involves putting masking tape over the contacts of the lens and not attaching the lens all the way, but I've never tried it.

Hmm okay. So you're saying I should pretty much cough up the money towards the vintage Nikkor lenses? If so, then looks like I won't be making videos for a little while till the lenses are obtained (not a big issue, but oh well). The aperture flickering is definitely going to interfere with my videos, so that's saying something.

I'll probably just save those two Canon lenses for stuff OUTSIDE stop-motion photography in that instance. They have pretty darn good clarity too mini/smile

Hello again,

Just wanted to confirm that going the route of purchasing the vintage Nikkor lenses is way to go as far as eliminating the aperture flickering complete mini/confused. Seems like I can't use either Canon lens I own cuz they both have an electronically controlled aperture which is not really ideal for brickfilming, right?

Also, when I do purchase the vintage Nikkor lenses (assuming it's happening), would this work as far as an adapter for my camera for those lenses? I want to make sure I'm not purchasing an adapter that isn't really going to work right mini/wink.

I have this same problem too with my DSLR camera and I've found out if you change your I think it is appature to 1/30 it helps a bit and if you cut the connection between the lens and the camera with a piece of paper it will reduce alot of your light flicker

YouTube

I'm a Brickfilmer that loves smooth animation and attention to detail.

brickorbrack wrote:

I have this same problem too with my DSLR camera and I've found out if you change your I think it is appature to 1/30 it helps a bit and if you cut the connection between the lens and the camera with a piece of paper it will reduce alot of your light flicker

It looks like your "reduce the aperture down" idea actually worked! What I did was I reduced the aperture down, but I also had to increase the exposure to compensate for the reduced aperture since a smaller aperture lets less light in, and the original frame was too dark so turning up the exposure brought the light back to a more "tolerable" level.

I almost wonder if originally when I had this issue, I had the aperture open TOO MUCH, meaning other light came in and messed the frames up. The original aperture was something like f/5.6. I'm now at around f/20. It's working good so far! Thanks a ton for that suggestion mini/smile!

Now I didn't do the "block the camera's contacts" idea, cuz I was too nervous that I might potentially damage them (which would be beyond awful mini/eek). I figured it was a risky shot, so I first started with the non-risky one (the aperture thing) mini/smile

So, I guess maybe this Christmas I might try to obtain those vintage Nikkor lenses. This will be great, but for now I'll make due with the reduced aperture thing (or if that doesn't work, something else, maybe mini/blankexpression). Thanks to all who have helped me mini/wink!