Topic: SuperDog

Directory Link

SuperDog

Youtube Link

This is an entry to the Bricks In Motion contest, Movie Magic.
It starts with an ordinary doctor coming home from work, but then he is attacked by Mr. Lego, a past enemy of Lego city.  After going home and watch News 14, he decides to be the superhero and save the day.  Join SuperDog and follow his exciting adventures!
I hope you enjoy! : )

Last edited by PlasticPointProductions (September 6, 2018 (04:11am))

Re: SuperDog

Well, the plot was alright, seeing as it was original, and your animation and cinematography were great. Really liked the mouth animations, they turned out great. We would've done some for our entry, but we already so little time to begin with, so we didn't, but the fact that you were able to make a fairly lengthy video with mouth animations and special effects was great. Good luck in the contest.

For all your BrothersWaughStudios needs:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoIGzi … pAKtshbTbQ

BrothersWaughStudios wrote:

Well, the plot was alright, seeing as it was original, and your animation and cinematography were great. Really liked the mouth animations, they turned out great. We would've done some for our entry, but we already so little time to begin with, so we didn't, but the fact that you were able to make a fairly lengthy video with mouth animations and special effects was great. Good luck in the contest.

Thanks!

Haha. That was really funny and the voice acting was on point. Good work. mini/smile

My profile picture is deep fried lol

Brick Block Animations wrote:

Haha. That was really funny and the voice acting was on point. Good work. mini/smile

Thanks! I am glad you like it!

Congratulations on winning the Promising Director prize! The judges unanimously felt that your film was the best fit for the category. On top of just being a bundle of unabashed fun, you integrated a few cool little "movie magic" elements that really sold us on the effort and thought you put into making this film. The forced perspective shots you used for Mr. LEGO were fantastic. The brick-built motion blur when SuperDog moves quickly may not be a new idea, but you used it well. There's also a neat "through-the-wall" dolly shot at 1:30 that I appreciated. The story was simple, charming, and full of funny moments.

Now, I'd like to briefly address some areas where I think you could most quickly improve. There are moments where your cinematography is great, but it's a little bit sloppy at times as well. Before you start a shot, try moving your characters through it (with your hand, not animating them) and make sure they're not going to go somewhere that will leave a large portion of the frame empty. In general it's best to "use" as much of the frame as possible- that's not to say empty space is bad, it just needs to be planned for to serve some purpose. I noticed you also move the camera around a lot. I think there are varying schools of thought on this, so I'll echo something an animation instructor suggested to me: it's very easy to make a lot of crazy camera movements in animation (particularly in CGI, but in stop-motion as well to a lesser degree), but an audience is going to be most used to live-action film, where cameras don't make large movements as much because the logistics of it make it more expensive. Whenever you add too much camera movement, it not only risks becoming disorienting, it also starts to veer outside what the audience will consider "cinematic". Camera movement can be a great tool, but my advice is use it sparingly, and with intent. These are all things you'll get a better grasp on as you get more experience.

You've made a really cute film with some of the best "movie magic" we saw in this contest. Excellent work, and thanks for entering!