Re: The Citizen of the Year

Dyland wrote:

Also, the nostalgia factor certainly plays a large roll. I still find myself preferring older brickfilms to newer ones. I usually try to tie this to some sort of magical quality that I must be overlooking, however, in reality, it's probably a subconscious thing...

Sonjira wrote:

For me, this film lives off of its charm. Really the film is just such a treat to watch for me because everything, from the voice actors, to the writing, to the set design, even that choppy animation you talked about builds into this beautiful beast.

I usually refer to this as the "heart and soul" of a brickfilm - proof by example that "the whole is more than the sum of its parts" really is a thing. Beast by Nathan Wells is probably my favorite brickfilm (if not that, then it's Doug Vandegrift's Pirates or America: Outlawed) And, while the individual parts of each brickfilm (sound design, visuals, cinematography, voice acting, character design, sets, music) may not be the best of the best, they do all come together in a very entertaining way.

The Citizen of the Year, to me, IS a standard to hold brickfilms to, just as the previously mentioned brickfilms are as well.

Sonjira wrote:

It's something that's hard to replicate, and I'd say impossible to do intentionally.

That's what I've been trying to overcome. I want more TCotY-like brickfilms, I want more risk-taking brickfilms, I want more people to focus on storytelling (overall) rather than individual elements within (such as animation, or writing, for that matter).

https://i.imgur.com/Z8VtGae.png

I did not just give my opinion on the technical aspects of this film. And “brah, you are edgy“ is a stupid remark. Im not even bashing this film, its average to me, even disagreeing with the ludicrous praise of this movie, is like insulting a religion to some of you. I guess there is a cult of Citizentology.

i love this movie more than my son

https://i.imgur.com/IRCtQGu.jpg

Sonjira wrote

For me, this film lives off of its charm. Really the film is just such a treat to watch for me because everything, from the voice actors, to the writing, to the set design, even that choppy animation you talked about builds into this beautiful beast. It's something that's hard to replicate, and I'd say impossible to do intentionally.

The thing I've learned through years of animation is that not everything is quantifiably "good" or "bad" based purely on the technical craft that gets pumped in. That's probably a bad way to word it, but like, I've seen a bajillion freaking students films and other amateur films that gfet shot with super high quality cameras and this fancy crap, but they kinda suck.

Yet I've seen a myriad of other more technically amateurish films that are so much more entertaining because of the genuine fun they have with their craft. Some films like this don't work, but their are many that do. The same is true with my previous example. Some things just work for weird reasons.

What you say is true. I heartily agree. When you make a film because you want to make a film it's much, much better. When you make a film for money, fame ect. it's generally worse.

I do not brickfilm anymore, but you can see my live action stuff here.

CaptainMilligan wrote:

I did not just give my opinion on the technical aspects of this film. And “brah, you are edgy“ is a stupid remark. Im not even bashing this film, its average to me, even disagreeing with the ludicrous praise of this movie, is like insulting a religion to some of you. I guess there is a cult of Citizentology.

Sorry man, I can be a real goof trooper sometimes

https://i.imgur.com/gGaR9Oz.png
Youtube @TheRealSonjira I consider it a personal defeat if my pee is not perfectly clear every time.]

Sounds like someone woke up in the wrong size house this morning.

Cpt. Milligan, We're not taking your comments completely seriously. I like this brickfilm a lot and think it's funny and so does everybody (besides you) but we're not actually taking your comments as a personal insult.

Last edited by Smocktopus (September 28, 2016 (11:14am))

This video gave birth to me and my mother adopted me.

I am supposed to put something here.

Smocktopus wrote:

Cpt. Milligan, We're not taking your comments completely seriously. I like this brickfilm a lot and think it's funny and so does everybody (besides you) but we're not actually taking your comments as a personal insult.

You seem quite butthurt tho, like with that appeal to the majority and please show me where I said this film wasn't funny, I just find it standard. Im not even crapping on this film lmao, yall need to chill.

Okay. Let's all just calm down. You can have your own opinion, even if it's wrong Jk Jk Lol. You're entitled to your own opinion, if you think it's standard, you can think it's standard. Now let's stop talking before someone gets banned.

For what it's worth, I agree with Captain Milligan. The Citizen of the Year isn't anything exceptional. It's only a series of pictures of plastic toys, played at a meager twelve frames-per-second. No, the undeniably flawless animation doesn't make The Citizen of the Year an unrivaled cinematic achievement. The story... beautifully told, to be sure. Yet in all honesty, how much do we really care about the timeless battle between good and evil? And we would be remiss not to address the acting. One often wonders, watching a film, how much the performance reflects the skill of the actors, and how much it reflects the skill of The Director. Since Watson lent His own voice to this film, we know that at least in this one instance, the answer is all of the skill. All of it.

Still, that doesn't make The Citizen of the Year special. Any immaculately talented artisan can create a film that transcends the sum of its parts, emerging as a triumph of the human spirit and standing testament to divine influence on the mortal world. You see, Watson's The Citizen of the Year can never be more than it is: a film.

So how can something be, as we have established, "just a film", when we know that in our own experience it is far, far more? Because it is a film that we, the viewer, perceive ourselves through. Like the Siren at sea singing sweet to passing sailors, The Citizen of the Year cries out to the viewer, cries out for his most valuable commodity- attention. However, where the Siren pulls in men and consumes them, The Citizen of the Year is a wholly enlightening experience. It shows us our goodness... as well as our deep human flaws. We are what is special, and The Citizen of the Year is a conduit to the beauty and individuality found in each member of this site. The Citizen of the Year is an anti-Siren who takes the basest desires of nameless internet wanderers and disarms them, returning each and every one as a note in her bewitching song. Let's not fight over whether The Citizen of the Year deserves our utmost praise (it does). Resolve not to debate over whether The Citizen of the Year is the greatest brickfilm to ever appear on the internet (it is). Instead, let us join hands and rejoice for that item which The Director reflects so magnificently in His masterpiece: ourselves.

May your houses be always large. Watson bless.

Squash wrote:

May your houses be always large. Watson bless.

Pool Noodles Out for Watson. His unjust killing at the hands of the Toledo Zoo has left not just a hole in our hearts, but a hole in his as well.

https://i.imgur.com/gGaR9Oz.png
Youtube @TheRealSonjira I consider it a personal defeat if my pee is not perfectly clear every time.]

*Sniff* That was beautiful.

Last edited by Smocktopus (September 29, 2016 (12:11pm))

Happy Septemberfest, everyone. It is once again the season to celebrate the genius that is The Citizen of The Year

Happy Septemberfest to you too. Here's to 14 more years of one of the best films of all time.

For all your BrothersWaughStudios needs:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoIGzi … pAKtshbTbQ