Topic: Cut and Run [Movie Magic]

Directory Link

Cut and Run [Movie Magic]

YouTube!

My entry to Bricks in Motion's Summer Contest Movie Magic, made over the course of 1 month.

A duel between 2 rivals takes an unexpected turn...

A massive thanks to Dylan Johnson for composing such a fantastic score at such short notice!

Also, a big thanks to David Clark of namchild for allowing me to use his film The Duel, and also for giving me the inspiration to create this film.

Re: Cut and Run [Movie Magic]

Really well done, the opening scene was very skillfully animated. Replay enjoyed the incorporation of the real world, and the fact that you were able to pull off animating on normal surfaces so smoothly, and with virtually no light-flicker, was great. Also, the joke about there being way too many videos called 'The Duel', was funny. Please, keep up the good work. This should definitely place highly, if not win altogether.

For all your BrothersWaughStudios needs:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoIGzi … pAKtshbTbQ

Terrific job, William! This is great!

I thoroughly enjoyed the film, and loved scoring for it. Visually, I liked the references to The Magic Portal, Doug Vandegrift's signature focus pulls (rarely used elsewhere in brickfilming), and the creative use of traditional film cliches. (duels, car chases, toys-to-life a la Toy Story... etc)

Musically, I added a few nods of my own (Western music, synth & jazz influences, plus some nods to James Horner's infamous danger theme and the wonderful score created for the Bricks in Motion Documentary). All in all, it was a very fun experience - and certainly a challenge to score the entire picture in under 1 day!

I'll be sure to rewatch this one again and again.

I'd say it has a good chance at placing high, too! mini/smile

https://i.imgur.com/Z8VtGae.png

Great film, nice that it had not only to do with filmmaking, but homages to many brickfilms, and brickfilming in general.
The shots and pacing were all rock solid, making the story flow and read well.
A nice original score too, which doesn't happen often enough, and adds a lot of value.

https://bricksafe.com/files/thistof/hillbillyheist/TofAnimation.png

Excellent. You have come so far William. I hope you place incredibly high in the contest. As everyone has said, this illustrates the theme perfectly. The animation was great, the timing was there, the score (as everyone has also mentioned) is great, and it was a joy to view. This is now one of my new favorite brickfilms. mini/smile

My profile picture is deep fried lol

I really enjoyed this film. You were very fortunate with the natural lighting. You must have picked the perfect cloudy days to shoot.  Great job with all the "on location" (around the house) stop motion. Good luck in the contest. I think you will do well. mini/bigsmile

Thank you, everyone for your kind words.

BrothersWaughStudios wrote:

the joke about there being way too many videos called 'The Duel', was funny.

I didn't really intend for that to be a joke, but I guess it does play out as pretty funny, and my expression, when I am searching for it is somewhat puzzled haha.

A funny thing about the shots of the computer screen - Originally, I was searching for The Duel on YouTube, but suddenly realized, the night before the deadline, that due to the contest rules, I had to make some changes, as there were far too many brand logos. For some of the shots, like when I was turning off the computer, there were ads in the corner for things like Netflix and Minecraft, but for that I was able just to crop it out, but for the clips on YouTube, I had to replace them entirely with shots of me on BiM, which actually worked better in the end.

Dyland wrote:

Musically, I added a few nods of my own (Western music, synth & jazz influences, plus some nods to James Horner's infamous danger theme and the wonderful score created for the Bricks in Motion Documentary). All in all, it was a very fun experience - and certainly a challenge to score the entire picture in under 1 day!

I may have said this before, but I think it bares repeating that you made an exceptional score, and it really sounds like you spent months working on it and not 24 hours. I could definitely hear the nods to James Horner, with the prominent use of brass instruments.

Dyland wrote:

Visually, I liked the references to The Magic Portal, Doug Vandegrift's signature focus pulls (rarely used elsewhere in brickfilming), and the creative use of traditional film cliches. (duels, car chases, toys-to-life a la Toy Story... etc)

Thank you. Doug Vandegrift is just someone I'm always inspired by. That look of focus pulling is something I love to do, along with all the camera movements. I love to try and replicate the look of live action filmmaking, like panning, and moving the camera along to follow the movement of running and the car chase. It's one of the main reasons why I loved making this film, because it gave me the freedom to move the camera around however I wanted, without the limitations of having to build the set around it.

thefourmonkeys wrote:

I really enjoyed this film. You were very fortunate with the natural lighting. You must have picked the perfect cloudy days to shoot.  Great job with all the "on location" (around the house) stop motion. Good luck in the contest. I think you will do well. mini/bigsmile

I was hoping to shoot the letterbox scene in the afternoon, after wrapping up the bedroom scenes, but it was far too sunny, and the sun sets over the front of the house. I got up extra early the following morning, to shoot the animation, and I was really pleased with the results. That whole scene took about 3 hours to shoot, before the sun started to head over the front of the house.

I'm going to release a bts video soon, hopefully within the next couple of weeks, which I am really looking forward to putting together.

This is my favourite of the competition - I always enjoy brickfilms where the mini figs venture into the "real world"
and you did a great job with this one. The car chase across the carpet was good with nice camera moves as well - good luck in the competition mini/smile

DNAnimation

Third place! Congratulations! This was a fun film, and it really hearkened back to the roots of brickfilming for me. We've seen the "toys come to life when you're not looking" idea before, but by adding the context of the duel you put a cool little twist on it that really helped make it something special. Your animation was solid throughout the film (you're quickly improving on that front) and I'm sure some of those camera movements during the chase scene were not easy to pull off, so kudos for that. Dyland's score complimented the action nicely.

I think some of the floor shots could have been lit a little bit brighter- but I understand the limitations of filming in an actual room, that some level of darkness is going to happen no matter what if you don't have large high-power lights. My only other nitpick with this film is that I would have liked to have seen more "movie magic" elements: more experimental technical aspects, camera trickery, etc... I did notice a marked improvement in the quality of virtually all of your basic technical aspects since your last long film, so that's great.

Everything said, you've got a great film here and I really enjoyed watching it. Thanks for entering the contest!

Just looked up for the contest winners and the contesting films - wow! First of all, congrats for the third place! Second of all, I loved this film! It reminded me much of The Portal, which is one of my favorite brick films ever, so extra points on that! I must also say that your animation skills are very neat! Great job!

@Squash thank you for the kind words. I appreciate your critique and agree with the points you made. I tend to struggle somewhat in interpreting the less literal themes, such as Sight & Sound and Movie Magic, because it's more about the technical aspects than the narrative of the story. Looking back at it, I do wish I could have implemented the theme a little more by including practical techniques that I haven't previously used. I really struggled to come up with ways to combine new techniques, and ended up just trying to improve the technical aspects of my films as much as I could to finish with a polished end product.

I am honoured to place 3rd, despite the loose interpretation of the theme, especially alongside some truly great entries from both TwickABrick and Sharwarma. It was a whole of fun to put together!