Topic: What camera should I use for stopmotion?

Hello Peoples! Hudson here! I've been brickfilming on my IPhone for about a year now. I am thinking about transitioning to a camera instead of a phone. The only trouble is, I don't know what camera to use. I would love your thoughts. Thanks! mini/smile
-Yummy Burrito Studios mini/smile

Re: What camera should I use for stopmotion?

Would you like a webcam or a DSLR?

If you're looking for something mainly for stop motion, C920 all the way. I can't begin to tell you how good this webcam is, and it's not too expensive either.

Any camera, theoretically, is going to be beneficial. As long as you have something to film with that'll be reliable.

DSLR's are pretty expensive, but have a myriad of advantages over other forms of cameras. Although, DSLR's are kind of a waste to invest in if you'll only be making stop-motions.

Webcams, while usually of a better price range, aren't all the same. You'll really have to check the individual specs of different models to find out which can shoot at the best quality, biggest frame size, and with smallest latency - zoom features being a bonus. If you want to get the c920 I'd recommend clicking this link (or going to the store section of BiM) as, it'll contribute to the website.

Regular cameras (and even video cameras) are, IMO, the best option. Most can shoot in 4k, just like most DSLR's. Most are of a fairly mid-range price, and they can last a long time. Their biggest downside being computer compatibility...

You see, no matter what camera you get, it would be best to make sure it can work with a frame capture software (either independent or from the company themselves). This will greatly eliminate camera bump and overall makes it easier to film stop-motions with.

^ That's what I usually go off of when looking for a new cam for brickfilming. You don't have to follow that exactly, though. And I'd love to hear more suggestions!

Hope you can settle on the perfect camera, Hudson!

https://i.imgur.com/Z8VtGae.png

Dyland wrote:

Regular cameras (and even video cameras) are, IMO, the best option. Most can shoot in 4k, just like most DSLR's. Most are of a fairly mid-range price, and they can last a long time. Their biggest downside being computer compatibility...

You see, no matter what camera you get, it would be best to make sure it can work with a frame capture software (either independent or from the company themselves). This will greatly eliminate camera bump and overall makes it easier to film stop-motions with.

What do you mean by "regular cameras"? Point and shoots usually lack manual controls which is horrible for stop-motion, and can't be controlled with a frame software, which is two things bad about them.

Webcams are really the best, in my opinion, except for DSLRs. But most people don't want a DSLR because it costs way more than just the price of the camera to use it for brickfilming. There are so many other things to buy. I agree with the Logitech C920 recommendation, as I use it on some of my projects, and it's a good camera.

YouTubeWebsite
https://bricksafe.com/files/rioforce/internet-images/RioforceBiMSig.png
"Whatever you do, do all to the glory of God." - 1 Corinthians 10:31b

Some point and shoots are compatible with remotes that usually cost less than 12 bucks. Plus, a few can be controlled with frame software (at least, they used to be... I haven't used a point and shoot for a few years, though).

It really comes down to what you need in a camera. And what your budget is. Anything's better than a phone, IMO.

Dyland wrote:

Anything's better than a phone, IMO.

Phones have suprisely great quality. Some can shoot 4K which is better than the c920. The only draw back is you have to tap the screen, but Stop Motion Studio let's use control your phone with another device through bluetooth so you don't have to tap the screen.

Does C920 work with Mac? I was going to recommend it to someone but didn't know if it did or not. It works great on Win7, pretty well on linux despite the control not being as convenient as the logitech app on windows.

https://bricksafe.com/files/thistof/hillbillyheist/TofAnimation.png

Alright, Thanks, everyone!

thistof wrote:

Does C920 work with Mac? I was going to recommend it to someone but didn't know if it did or not. It works great on Win7, pretty well on linux despite the control not being as convenient as the logitech app on windows.

Yes, the C920 works with Mac, I have been using the C920 with my mac for the past couple months and I have had no problems!  It is definitely a cheap way to get high quality video, and don't think I will be needing a new camera for a while.  I use it with the Heron Animation software, which is free to download.

thistof wrote:

Yea it does. Thats what I used to use, Im not sure if this is still the case, but I had to buy a program for controlling it that costed like 10$. Edit- Can a Mod delete this post, because the question was already answered.

This world is a dark place. One day I will see my Savior face to face.
My Youtube

Just one thing I wanted to add:

Although DSLR cameras are far superior to webcams in many ways, webcams have the advantage when it comes to camera movement and general ease of use.

I've used both, and while I have almost completely switched to using my DSLR, I still miss my c920 for more dynamic camera shots - it is very easy to improvise brick built camera rigs that fit a webcam, much more so than a 'real' camera.

So I agree with everyone's C920 recommendation - it's a great animation tool, plus it won't set you back too much even if you want to save up for a DSLR in the future.

YouTube

"If you find a fork in the road, take it." - Yogi Berra

osomstudios wrote:

I'm not sure if this is still the case, but I had to buy a program for controlling it that cost like 10$.

Out of curiousity osomstudios, what program is this?  I have the logitech gaming software, which allows me to adjust the focus and only slightly zoom and pan.  I would love a program that does more, so could you please let me know the name of the software and some of the functions?  Thanks so much!

FeinsteinFilms wrote:

Just one thing I wanted to add:

Although DSLR cameras are far superior to webcams in many ways, webcams have the advantage when it comes to camera movement and general ease of use.
So I agree with everyone's C920 recommendation - it's a great animation tool, plus it won't set you back too much even if you want to save up for a DSLR in the future.

I agree, I have a DSLR that doesn't have live view. I borrowed one for my last couple brickfilms, but switched to the C920 for "A Brickfilm Christmas" and found it ideal for a couple reasons. Aside from entry price, the live view is much better quality than what the DSLR was showing me, allowing much better feedback while animating. I held it in place with tack rather than brickbuilt rigs, and that worked fine, though I was prone to bumping it with my hand at times. Since all functions can be controlled remotely, you never have to touch it, and as long as you're careful with lighting, as I learned, the quality is surprisingly good! It's also possible to shoot in slightly higher than 1920x1080 in case you need to do a little cropping in post.

https://bricksafe.com/files/thistof/hillbillyheist/TofAnimation.png

Dyland wrote:

Anything's better than a phone, IMO.

does the same go with ipads/tablets? that is what I use, and it works well for me.

Magek AKA raptor aptor use this link for more of my stuff ----)        https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbfTJt … subscriber
my website   https://smirr421.wixsite.com/thelab
If you want to adutoin for something of mine please PM me!! THX

If you're looking for something mainly for stop motion, C920 all the way. I can't begin to tell you how good this webcam is, and it's not too expensive either. Because I am also used an iPhone and I faced some problem with my iTunes account and shows iTunes error 1671 and don't know how to resolve this problem.:lol: mini/lol mini/lol

With so many brickfilms filmed with a wide variety of different software, cameras, and set-ups, it really doesn't matter what you go with. Anything can work.

Personally, I could never go to a phone or tablet, because I'm just too used to webcams/cameras, but I can understand why some love it - it is so convenient, after all.

A general rule(s) of thumb:

Always try and shoot at a higher resolution than you need. It'll make editing a lot more painless - especially with vfx heavy shots like greenscreen, lightsabers, armature replacement, etc.

Export as close to HD as possible, if not beyond. We are in a high def age, after all. And, most people expect 1080p video as a new standard - especially on youtube. I mean, it is the same resolution as blu-ray discs, and they're super crisp and clear. But don't fret if you must export at 720p or even lower (just no 240p films, please).

Try and find a camera (webcam, tablet, phone, dslr, other) that'll suit those two recommendations - although it's perfectly fine to make a brickfilm without them. Many have - and I think their films, although of a lower resolution, still hold up well.

There's a reason people still watch Robota, Twelve Bucks, Aladabababad, Beast, etc...