Directory Link

STAR: CYCLIC

CYCLIC - YouTube
CYCLIC - Vimeo

Entry in the BIM STAR competition

CrimStories

Other:  DOTBW      Take Out      Crime Stories      Cyclic     YouTube

Re: STAR: CYCLIC

Hope you like the film it was a lot of work (almost 3 months) but it was a lot of fun.

Special thanks:
BIM for a great competition
Rob who recorded all the music for me. You can listen/download the songs from http://www.reverbnation.com/robstanley
And the people from work with who did the character voices

Last edited by bodville (July 27, 2009 (06:24am))

CrimStories

Loved it. It was even better at the premiere. This one is my favorite out of all the entries. mini/smile
Great job. mini/bigsmile

what could have been: jeffrey and the old man make some robots
                      art page -- tumblr --youtube
              bricksinmotion's #13th best curmudgeon

I love your cartoony animation style. Top notch.

https://i.imgur.com/1JxY79v.png

That was very interesting, and enjoyable. I like your style of animation, and the sets were done very well. I think you've got a good shot at winning this contest. Great job.

Website YouTube Twitter
http://i45.tinypic.com/2mruqon.jpg
Check out my live action directing debut, The Day That Never Comes

Your animation style is always entertaining.
I really enjoy watching the lady running on the sidewalk and the part when the guys head is bobbing.
I really the story; it was well put together. You've got a really god chance at winning, I think.

good work, truly good work! its a simple and yet very entertaining story. Beautiful animations man!

~Casey

I absolutely loved it.

very polished, like everyone else said your animation is amazing, especially considering the higer frame rate.  Is it 24 fps?

I hope you win.

Loved it, smooth sleek and witty.

welp
Formerly LegoDudez

This is awesome. I loved the head banging, and how the story all fitted together at the end. Really nice creative animation, with a great story.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/nomfee/Lego/fjpb_poster_.png
Click above to watch mini/bigsmile
Youtube Twitter

That was top notch mini/bigsmile

Don't be fooled, my avatar is a facade of conformity.

As I said in The River thread, this film is tied for being my favorite STAR film (of the ones I've seen at least).

I love how you were able to take a somewhat complex plot idea and make it into such a fun and understandable comedy film. The animation had a nice cartoony feel to it, and the voice acting and writing was superb and hilarious (especially the robots). Pretty much everything in this film was top-notch quality, the animation, set design, etc. Loved the headbanging. mini/tongue

Excellent job, I think you'll do quite well in the contest.

I don't like to say this, but I think you've won. Oh, well.

-Gospelnut

GET DA BOOM MICROPHONE OUT OV MA FAAAACCCEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cyclic - Bodville
3.5/5

Impressive technical aspects + witty dialog. Still, the film as a whole was a bit disappointing. It all seemed to rush by in a big flash of color - not really any plot buildup, which left me blinking at the story. It ended, I knew what happened, but while watching it was never thinking, "Ooh - I  wonder what will happen next."

- Leo

Another great film. How do you make them bob their heads?

You can do anything, just have fun while doing it.

Gospelnut wrote:

I don't like to say this, but I think you've won.

I have already won and the prize was finishing this film. How it places in the BIM competition really doesn't bother me if the majority of people enjoyed it.

Leonardo812 wrote:

Still, the film as a whole was a bit disappointing.

Sorry to disapoint you Leonardo I did my very best.

CrimStories

Ooops I forgot to include the link for the Set Photos.

I thought someone would ask how I managed to get technics pieces moving smoothly on green studded base plates, the first picture should answer that. The lazer printout was used to align the pieces to form the logo and then I just slid the paper out of the way.

The head banging involved some masking. I took a background shot
Background

Then all the animated frames of the head was composed onto the background in photoshop.
Background

In fact there was a lot of work in photoshop to put all this together. The shark has a transparent layer of water over it's body but it's dorsal fin and tail are opaque. The best example of masking is the skate boarders accident. I actually shot every frame twice. Once with just the background and again with the fig on bricks. I then used the background frame to mask out the green bricks.

Background

CrimStories

My favorite!
I love the ending, with the apple, time forward, time backward, etc, you can see everything that happened that single moment! Great done!

-GS

I'm a bonehead.. But not in making movies! mini/wink