Re: BiM 2010: Avant-Garde [CLOSED]

I'm not sure animation techniques are the central idea.

Sméagol wrote:

"Avant-garde" should be an approach to making the whole film, from the top down.

I think this applies to every single aspect of the film, meaning it's entirely crafted to fit the contest, rather than using an already scripted film.

Although if you can make it in an original, unique way, without chucking in a few dutch angle's, dark lighting or spooky music, I'm sure you'll do well. Also, I think new animation techniques is what VN's contest (the name of which escapes me at the moment) was really about, as apposed to this.

Hm, I don't know. Sounds a bit long.

DINO CRISES 3

WILL NOT BE ENTERED INTO THIS CONTEST.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/COTB/FunkyJunk/RUMBLE/mg.jpg

mini/twitch

11:41 Hazzat NO FUN ALLOWED IN BRICKFILMING COMMUNITY

I'm in. Were do we enter it? Youtube?
And Smeagol,I need to ask you a couple of questions on youtube. Look me up.

www.youtube.com/abductodude

Oh,and I need to get down to a script. And 1 more question,is it a war movie?

Matt Gillan wrote:

DINO CRISES 3

Wait 3? You still need to make 2!

@GSH

Sméagol wrote:

To submit an entry, send a private message in the BiM forums to username “BiM 2010” including your name and a link to download the entry. We will accept .avi, .mov, and .wmv formats.  More details and submission options may become available as we approach the contest deadline.

The movie can be about whatever you want, as long as it abides by the contest guidelines (no extensive violence etc.)

@Infurno
Rich made Dino Crises 2.

Last edited by Hazzat (September 10, 2009 (11:57am))

https://i.imgur.com/1JxY79v.png

Yeah.  But please understand people, "Avant-Garde" does not simply mean whatever you want it to mean.  If you aren't confident you understand it perhaps a reading of the wikipedia article linked in the first post might be in order.  A few innovative bits of animation don't make a film avant-garde, at least not in the sense we're looking for; it's going to take something unique and probably somewhat "out there" to fair well in this contest.  An entry to this contest could be an excellent short film and still place very poorly in the contest if it isn't avant-garde.

http://i.imgur.com/wcmcdmf.png

I have an idea that I think would work very well for this contest, it opens up a lot opportunities to animate strange out of the ordinary sequences. I'm pretty sure I'm going to go with this, if I can think of nothing else.

Smeagol can you give example of a story that would fit the theme

Mutuceba wrote:

Smeagol can you give example of a story that would fit the theme

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/e … ey1928.jpg

That picture is all you need.

I'll let you know if I find any particularly good examples.  Basically experimental, innovative types of music and writing often fall in this category.  I would point out that while there are some tendencies in the genre you would not exactly want to mimic somebody else's avant-garde storytelling or it would sort of kill the concept of uniqueness and originalty.  Google may be a good resource.  This passage is also interesting:

The term avant-garde suggests artists in the forefront, or vanguard, of experimentation. There is no avant-garde style as such, but every new approach can be called avant-garde when it first appears. The French antinovel was a form of avant-garde writing. Michel Butor presented his Mobile (1962) in the form of a small encyclopedia.

Essentially Butor's idea was to reconsider the form of a novel, writing it in the format of an encyclopedia rather than a standard narrative story.  There are infinite possibilities here, but the key is that entries should do something we don't anticipate, in a good way.  Consider all the standards we assume for a short film, and then understand that very few of these standards really need to be followed for the contest.  A few examples of conventions you are free to break:

• The aspect ratio is the same through the whole film, and it's 4:3, 16:9, or 2.35:1.  The film's frame is a horizontally oriented rectangle.

• The frame rate is the same through the whole movie, most likely 15 fps or 24 fps.

• The video is either in black and white, or full RGB color.

• There is a visual video component to the film at almost all times.

• The film has a story, with a beginning, middle, and end.  Usually presented in that order.

• The environment of the brickfilm is mostly built of LEGO and posterboard.

• The film only shows us one camera angle at a time.

• There is only one possible way to watch the film -- it consists of a single video file that is viewed from start to finish.

• The film is almost entirely LEGO animation, well above the required 50%.

• The film has recognizable "characters," who speak in normal human language and are depicted as minifigures.

Just about anything that is not mandated by the guidelines is something you can reconsider.

At the time, this was revolutionary: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTIDTKRpF3Y
"The Beatles - Revolution 9"

For the Bricks in Motion major 2010 competition this sounds like a big art-house [censored]fest.
There are not many film makers that will get this to work at a level expected.
This would be much better as a simple Ani-Exerciser task.
I'd much rather the theme was "Thriller". Not many Brickfilms scare the audience, maybe they should. Or a Musical would be fun.

Last edited by Sméagol (September 10, 2009 (08:18pm))

Thanks for the input, b4b.  I remember talking to some other staff members in chat and stating, specifically, that I expected brick4brains to complain about it sounding pretentious and too difficult to interpret.  You haven't let me down! mini/bigsmile

To address the criticism, we did consider some easier, more generic themes including horror, but to be honest I am consistently disappointed by the bland use of the contest theme in some entries (certainly not all, but typically at least half) in major BF and BiM contests.  The bottom line was that we decided to risk turning a few people away with a difficult theme that requires originality rather than go for something easy to interpret, but would not really push the comfort zone of most directors here.

I realize that the name "Avant-garde" does have its roots in an often pretentious, art-house movement but I think the notion of it - pushing the boundaries and going for something new and unique - is fundamentally something that could use encouragement on BiM.  I think many directors have fallen into a sort of similar style that is the culmination of looking to a handful of well-made comedic brickfilms over the past several years and it means that a lot of the work that comes out of this community looks and feels very similar.  That's a positive in the sense of generally high production values, but from a creative standpoint it's concerning and is definitely part of the reason we wanted to do something a little different for this year's contest.

The BiM Contest themes are not meant to be genre-specific, as that would be incredibly limiting to what the director can do with their film. The theme is mostly a way of guiding the storylines of potential films, but still leaves the director the ability to choose what kind of film they want to make.

To be honest I am even having trouble understanding this contest.

This is so hard to think of a decent idea, I've been playing around with ideas about the order of the story, pretty much breaking the "The film has a story, with a beginning, middle, and end.  Usually presented in that order." point Sméagol made. I also thought about an interactive java film kind of thing where you are the minifig, kind of like a video game kind of thing, but a few tests have put that idea on the backburner, until I know that we're not going on holiday this Summer, becuase it's gonna take a lot of time.

This is going to be a real challenge.

I want to go on record as saying that this is a most excellent contest idea.

This is the type of effort that pushes creativity and asks directors to move out of their comfort zones and put their minds towards making something that can truly be called good.

I tried to get something like this going with my MovingBricks Ad Contest a while back. A contest that had a fairly narrow start, but which was quite open ended to allow the directors as much freedom to explore and create as possible. With this "Avant-Garde" theme, it pushes directors not towards a goal (such as "make a comedy") but away from old standards.

This is what drives creativity out to new places, to try new things, to explore, to see what can be done and how to do it. Although brickfilming in general "suffers" (from one point of view) by having a membership that consists mainly of younger people, this hobby has been around long enough that there are a lot of older (by year or by maturity) people involved who can see this contest for what it is - a great opportunity.

I would like to thank Cincinnati Bricks for their support of this contest, this hobby and this community. It is only through such generosity that our hobby survives. So thank you, I will be doing whatever I can (however small a contribution it may be) to drive business towards Cincinnati Bricks and promote their business.

As to everyone else: those who don't get it, replace the words "Avant-Garde" with "new".

A film about two guys on a couch playing games is not new.
A film about two guys on a couch playing games as seen from the people inside their heads would be new (like "Hermans Head").

A comedy about a bank robbery with ninja would not be new.
A drama about a bank robbery with consequences would be new (as a brickfilm - there are already shows like this - CSI, NYPD, Starsky & Hutch).

Obviously these are not specific suggestions that should be explicitly followed. You could try other things - play with colours so that your film has hidden actors that can only be seen when a red filter is placed over the screen. Have your film show one scene but be synced and portray a totally different scene if the viewer turns the sound off and plays something else (like "Dark Side of the Moon" and "The Wizard of Oz" simulcast). Have your story delivered in reverse. Have all your characters speak different languages. Watch some old PE Porukka films if you can find them!

Get your thinking caps out! Sorry about the long rant, but this contest has me very hopeful for the future of brickfilming. I had seen a long slide down into mediocrity starting to creep in. This contest seems just the ticket to help stimulate the directors who have started to stagnate.

You don't have to use minifigs as your main charaters!

Smile and say hello to people. It costs you nothing and can brighten their day.