Topic: The Festival of Souls 2! Discussion Topic

Before we get underway with the contest, I'm doing to do a survey/discussion to see what people would like to see/would not like to see in the contest, to make sure that when it gets underway nobody's disappointed.

So the first thing I'd like to ask, is should there be two themed categories? There's not going to be prizes like there was last year, where it was one category = one prize. Rather, there'll be different sorts of prize categories, as suggested by Legogod (Jared), although you can see below. Also, is there any themes anyone would like to suggest? If so, give them here and I'll discuss them with the judges, etc.

Secondly, what categories shall there be? The ones we have so far are 'Best Film (Best overall)', 'Best Horror', and 'Best Theme Interpretation'! Should there be others, and should the current ones be renamed? Any suggestions, leave below.

Finally, maybe the biggest thing, is should comedy be allowed? It goes against horror, however at the same time I feel like it shouldn't be against comedic animators.

Thanks for all the input. I hope everyone's happy with the way it turns out!

Sponsored by:

http://www.brickforge.com/store/images/M/brickforge_logo_store.jpg

FOR ANYONE INTERESTED: The Festival of Souls 2 will be soon upon us! However, before it's announced, we need a few things... 1. A logo 2. An acompaning video to be posted on youtube 3. An advertisment signature that judges/contestants can use

'look like it was shot at 2 FPS by a blindfolded five year old boy with broken fingers and no thumbs.' -PushOver
I'll be back animating soon! Exams and computer faults are keeping me away </3

Drifter (THAC 11) - Here

Re: The Festival of Souls 2! Discussion Topic

No comedy horror. I'm sick of comedy everywhere. Horror should terrify and put fear into the viewer, not make them laugh so hard they pee apple juice.

Re: The Festival of Souls 2! Discussion Topic

KinzCove wrote:

No comedy horror. I'm sick of comedy everywhere. Horror should terrify and put fear into the viewer, not make them laugh so hard they pee apple juice.

Kinz, that's just you. To be honest, I wouldn't mind some comedic horror, and I'm sure others wouldn't too. I don't think the whole thing should be about comedic horror, but balance between the two.

http://i40.tinypic.com/ru4s9e.png
"I liked the movie Wall-E. My only complaint is that there were too many nipples." -Lunahfy
YouTube|Steam|Twitter

Re: The Festival of Souls 2! Discussion Topic

I agree with Kinzcove, Horror brickfilms that actually work are challenging for the film maker and would be a diversion from the normal. Remember how much praise Emma got for her film? That's because it was Avant-Garde and captivated people. Let's all try to do that and make something new.

Onion, I would be thrilled to do graphics for FOS and I can make a first draft logo later today.

Chris did a thing and I was part of it and I think you should Watch it now.

Re: The Festival of Souls 2! Discussion Topic

That'd be great, RealBrick. As soon as the rules are decided Stan will make a video, so if you could do the logo and signature then we'll be even closer to getting FoS2 started.

'look like it was shot at 2 FPS by a blindfolded five year old boy with broken fingers and no thumbs.' -PushOver
I'll be back animating soon! Exams and computer faults are keeping me away </3

Drifter (THAC 11) - Here

Re: The Festival of Souls 2! Discussion Topic

I don't have any theme suggestion right now, and I think that should be up to the judges and you. Anyway, I think two themed categories would be good, and personally I like the fact of having more awards. I disagree, though, that comedy should be allowed. I like to think that this contest's purpose will be to increment the quality of serious horror in brickfilming. There are already lots of comedies, and I would like to see brickfilmers that usually makes them to experiment in this field, this genre. Also, I'd like to know when will it start, and possibly how long this contest will be.

Re: The Festival of Souls 2! Discussion Topic

Yea, stay away from comedic horror. Horror is horror, and is supposed to be scary. I don't think it should be funny.
I'll make a logo ASAP but I'm not too good at it mini/tongue

http://i.imgur.com/RnPzz.png
*Signature made by Mighty Wanderer*
Youtube | Twitter

Re: The Festival of Souls 2! Discussion Topic

I do kinda like the idea of no comedy. But still, I really enjoy funny movies with a Halloween type setting, for example: the Nightmare Before Christmas.

However, if you do allow it, most people will go to comedy, and it would kind of ruin the point of the contest.

What if comedy had a rather simple prize, but the serious horror had an absolutely awesome prize? Thus possibly steering people toward making serious films.

Also, the non-comedy rule should probably be something more along the lines of not based on comedy, but have horror be the main aspect, as even serious films will still have a few jokes somewhere in it.

Just my thoughts on the matter.

-Squid, Head of ANP | Leprechauns in France

Re: The Festival of Souls 2! Discussion Topic

Could I partner with Stan in making some of the video elements? I have an idea for a Gothic pop-up book idea we could do in After Effects.

Chris did a thing and I was part of it and I think you should Watch it now.

Re: The Festival of Souls 2! Discussion Topic

Almost all of my vids are comedy, so I would like it to be scary horror and not comedy horror for a change. Like ANP said, is a good idea! I really have an awesome idea... mini/tongue Dont know about the theme, but its orror so ill fit it in mini/tongue Looking forward to this Onion mini/wink

-FBS

I need a new name! HELP

Re: The Festival of Souls 2! Discussion Topic

I do have to agree that it would be good for people to try serious horror, but you can't force someone to do a seious horror film if they don't want to. Though, I'd recommend making a serious horror film.

http://i40.tinypic.com/ru4s9e.png
"I liked the movie Wall-E. My only complaint is that there were too many nipples." -Lunahfy
YouTube|Steam|Twitter

Re: The Festival of Souls 2! Discussion Topic

AnnoyingNoisesProductions wrote:

Also, the non-comedy rule should probably be something more along the lines of not based on comedy, but have horror be the main aspect, as even serious films will still have a few jokes somewhere in it.

A serious horror that scares you to death can have a few jokes, and that still is an horror moviebut that still doesn't make it a comedy. I don't know the others, but what I'm commenting is the comedy genre, I don't think a few jokes should disqualify the entrant (also because the jokes could be put there to set the mood...I don't know if this  makes any sense to you?).

Edit: Chris W., if they don't want to make serious horror, nothing obligates them to enter the contest. If they want to enter, they should go for serious movies.
It's that it looks like comedy is easier to do. So this would be a challenge for everybody.

Last edited by MPfist0 (August 26, 2011 (08:49am))

Re: The Festival of Souls 2! Discussion Topic

AnnoyingNoisesProductions wrote:

What if comedy had a rather simple prize

There's not going to be prize for comedy. Even if it will be allowed, we discourage you from doing it because it's a horror contest, not a comedy contest, and, as you yourself said, ruins the point of the contest.

Chris W. wrote:

I do have to agree that it would be good for people to try serious horror, but you can't force someone to do a seious horror film if they don't want to. Though, I'd recommend making a serious horror film.

However if it's an only serious horror contest then they just should not enter if they only want to make comedic films. These kinds of contests are always specific to an extent. It's akin to saying about BRAWL "You can't force them to make a film with the theme Hidden.", if you know what I mean.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Without restarting our debate, Onion, I shall give my preferences, but I will not argue with you anymore, and your final discussion on the matter will be final, seeing it's your contest. So this is just my opinion:

- I would suggest no comedies, because as said, ruins the point, and there's ample comedic brickfilms out there, I think everyone would like to see some change. And we already agreed that it's discouragable, even if allowed (similar to how LEGO Batman etc. are discouraged in other contests).

-I feel as if a contest with one theme is better, and would be more interesting to view since it's more specific. But if we'd have to have two themes, they should exclude each other in a way.

-About categories, I personally feel just "Best Film" is best. But if not, I would suggest only ONE category on technical aspects "BEST TECHNICAL ASPECTS", not "Best animation", "Best cinemaphotography" and so on, since that shouldn't be the main focus.
I also feel that in this Horror contest "Best Film" and "Best Horror" are the same. However, if having categories, I would suggest these: "Best Film", "Best Technical Aspects", "Best Screenplay".

Just suggestions.

Last edited by Pillow (August 26, 2011 (08:53am))

Re: The Festival of Souls 2! Discussion Topic

MPfist0 wrote:

(also because the jokes could be put there to set the mood...I don't know if this  makes any sense to you?).

Yeah, actually, I have an idea for something, slight chance I'll make it, but the jokes are very, very, very necessary to the plot of the film. It's still not a comedy though. But, without them, it wouldn't be right at all.

-Squid, Head of ANP | Leprechauns in France

Re: The Festival of Souls 2! Discussion Topic

AnnoyingNoisesProductions wrote:
MPfist0 wrote:

(also because the jokes could be put there to set the mood...I don't know if this  makes any sense to you?).

Yeah, actually, I have an idea for something, slight chance I'll make it, but the jokes are very, very, very necessary to the plot of the film. It's still not a comedy though. But, without them, it wouldn't be right at all.

You know movies like Drag Me to Hell are funny at parts, but stil crazy scary. Comedy like films in the style of Just Kidden, however, are a different thing. I think that that's what you mean, yes?

Re: The Festival of Souls 2! Discussion Topic

I would argue that in a genre contest, a theme is overkill. Simply require people to try serious horror and watch what kinds of entries come in. Also, I assume we're not using the logo from last year?

Currently accepting voice acting requests. Surprise me!

Re: The Festival of Souls 2! Discussion Topic

Vik: Yes, I meant that, but while posting that I was also thinking that humor could be part of characterization: that's another thing that isn't common in brickfilms.
Also references and background humor should be allowed (by background humor I mean like in Good Company: Redux, whe marlow and the other guy prepare to leave...). Humor should be fine just as long as the main purpose of the film is not to make the viewer laugh and to be an actual horror film.

Re: The Festival of Souls 2! Discussion Topic

MPfist0 wrote:

Humor should be fine just as long as the main purpose of the film is not to make the viewer laugh and to be an actual horror film.

That says it pretty accurate, I just hope people will not abuse it. Humor should not be the main focus.

Re: The Festival of Souls 2! Discussion Topic

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

I think after all that's been said it's unanimous that comedy should be ruled off. I kinda figured this would be the case, and think it's probably for the best. Unless anyone is strongly against it, and has a good case, I think it's safe to mark this question off now.

@Jargon: Personally, Vik thought of a rather brilliant theme, that's open to interpretation. Plus, I have a pretty good idea as well that I'll pitch to the judges later today. Also, I'd like a new logo just for the sake of having a new logo. Either that or a revamped version of last year's.

@RealBrick: I don't see why not. Contact him on skype and ask - as far as I'm concerned it's a-ok. I'll send you two the rules, prizes, etc. once I can. Thanks.

'look like it was shot at 2 FPS by a blindfolded five year old boy with broken fingers and no thumbs.' -PushOver
I'll be back animating soon! Exams and computer faults are keeping me away </3

Drifter (THAC 11) - Here

Re: The Festival of Souls 2! Discussion Topic

Well, Onion, this sounds great.
I can't wait for FoS 2 because I wasn't here when there was FoS 1.
I've seen some good comedic horror brickfilms before (I.e. KG made a series of them and they turned out pretty well)
Well, I'm definitely entering!

-LASF

http://i.imgur.com/YYDEbZF.jpg
YouTube :::: Facebook :::: Twitter :::: Police Officers (NEW FILM!)