Topic: BIGHEAD- A 1950's Superhero

Directory Link

BIGHEAD- A 1950's Superhero

Youtube

NEVER commit crime in the 1950's. Or else.

This was just a little short to get me back into animating, so it isn't much, but I'm pleased with the result of this one. Also, if you're wondering why the dialogue is cheesy, it's supposed to be that way.

Music (Fig Leaf Rag, Villainous Treachery)
by Kevin MacLeod:
http://incompetech.com
Licensed under Creative Commons "Attribution 3.0" http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0/"

Mod edit: Harsh language warning

Last edited by Thunderbolt (September 3, 2011 (06:57pm))

Back In Black!

Re: BIGHEAD- A 1950's Superhero

Cool! You couldn't really tell how good the animation was because it was shaky, but it looked good.

Not much of a story, but still enjoyable.

4/5

-Rob

Hello BiM! Not making a comeback but may surf the forums time to time

- www.spankthatdalek.tumblr.com -

yeah, i agree ^ i liked it, very enjoyable. mini/smile

- PlainBrick
Formerly MrLegoProductions
http://i1185.photobucket.com/albums/z354/mrlego15/bg67_zps34f3201a.png
Youtube - My Latest Video

Thanks guys! mini/smile

Back In Black!

Interesting. You've set the film in the 1950's, yet constructed it like the silent films of the 1910's and 1920's, including the dialog cards. This particular error aspect really bothers me. I hope you realize they had color film and sound in the 50's.

mcoov wrote:

Interesting. You've set the film in the 1950's, yet constructed it like the silent films of the 1910's and 1920's, including the dialog cards. This particular error aspect really bothers me. I hope you realize they had color film and sound in the 50's.

^ I agree. Nice film though! I give it 3/5 stars.

15:24    Timothy_R    you hear that
15:24    Timothy_R    that's the sound of me not giving a turd

Youtube

mcoov wrote:

Really? I didn't know that. mini/tongue I didn't actually bother searching it up. On the other hand, if you guys enjoyed this, I might make more. mini/bigsmile

EDIT: Wait, harsh language?

Last edited by Thunderbolt (September 3, 2011 (09:23pm))

Back In Black!

Thunderbolt wrote:
mcoov wrote:

Really? I didn't know that. mini/tongue I didn't actually bother searching it up. On the other hand, if you guys enjoyed this, I might make more. mini/bigsmile

EDIT: Wait, harsh language?

Yes, haven't you ever seen, for example, the Wizard of Oz? 1949, filmed in technicolor. The Spiderman color cartoons where in the 60's. In fact, color was invented way back in 1916. The 50's were more known for cheesy space and alien B movies, with some Hitchcock films and a number large epics "a la" Seventh voyage of Sinbad. That last one is also a major historical example of stop-motion used in film (animated by the famous Ray Harryhausen, successor of Willis O'Brien, innovator of the original King Kong from 1933). You really have to look way back to see the style of film you created.

PS: Thanks for the excuse to rant about film!

PSS: Also, your looking at the time when Elvis emerged and the Beatles where forming...Music-wise.

Last edited by paranickfilmz (September 4, 2011 (12:57am))

I'm sorry my film wasn't historically correct. I was just too lazy to look up said matter on Google. It's just that when I hear the year 1950 black and white films pop out of my head. I'll re-release this with a new title if I must. mini/smile

Back In Black!

And also, the first film with sound incorporated to the film was made in 1927 (I think the english name it's "The Jazz Singer"). The first movies with colours came out pretty much at the same time in 1939 (correcting paranickfilmz), and were "Gone with the Wind" and "The Wizard of Oz". So yeah, in the 50's everything had sound, although many movies were still made in black and white (probably because cheaper, or in some cases, worked better for the movie).
On the actual short, it was interesting, but I have to agree with mcoov, those aspects bothered me. Good effort anyway, it looks similar to Birdface to me.

MPfist0 wrote:

It looks similar to Birdface to me.

I made it to be a throwback to Birdface, actually.  Also, check my sig. mini/cat

Back In Black!

Thunderbolt wrote:
MPfist0 wrote:

I made it to be a throwback to Birdface, actually.

Wait, wait, wait. You made a video that was a tribute to mine? Wow, I'm honored mini/bigsmile

https://i.imgur.com/gGaR9Oz.png
Youtube @TheRealSonjira I consider it a personal defeat if my pee is not perfectly clear every time.]

Sonjira wrote:
Thunderbolt wrote:
MPfist0 wrote:

I made it to be a throwback to Birdface, actually.

Wait, wait, wait. You made a video that was a tribute to mine? Wow, I'm honored mini/bigsmile

Yeah. mini/smile you should've been in the chat when you released Birdface. We were praising your film for it's AWESOMENESS as if we just found the holy grail. mini/tongue

Back In Black!

Had to chuckle when I saw this one, I don't know why. mini/lol 4/5

maybe someday there should be a crossover between BIRDFaCE and BIGHEAD mini/bigsmile

But anyway, great film mini/yes

https://i.imgur.com/gGaR9Oz.png
Youtube @TheRealSonjira I consider it a personal defeat if my pee is not perfectly clear every time.]

MPfist0 wrote:

And also, the first film with sound incorporated to the film was made in 1927 (I think the english name it's "The Jazz Singer"). The first movies with colours came out pretty much at the same time in 1939 (correcting paranickfilmz), and were "Gone with the Wind" and "The Wizard of Oz". So yeah, in the 50's everything had sound, although many movies were still made in black and white (probably because cheaper, or in some cases, worked better for the movie).
On the actual short, it was interesting, but I have to agree with mcoov, those aspects bothered me. Good effort anyway, it looks similar to Birdface to me.

I didn't say color was used before 1939, I'm just stating when it was developed. But yes that makes things much more clear!

mcoov wrote:

Yeah, production for the Wizard of Oz in Technicolor actually took place in the 1950s. Alas, this is a slightly common misconception, so the film itself is pretty good. It's just that you put so much emphasis on it being in the 1950s, while it ended up being really historically incorrect, so it kinda took away from the quality of the movie.

Gorilla & Company Films

I haven't animated anything in over 3 months. I am sorry about that, but I have been working on my magnum opus: Ghost Cat: Port of Call New Orleans

youtube  tumblr  sunglasses & scissors

SpaceGorilla wrote:

Yeah, production for the Wizard of Oz in Technicolor actually took place in the 1950s.

No, that is not true. The entire film (minus the credits) was filmed with Technicolor film. The Kansas scenes were in sepia tone, while the Oz scenes were in full color.

Last edited by mcoov (September 4, 2011 (07:07pm))

I loved the film and would like to see more little episodes of BIGHEAD mini/smile

MPfist0 wrote:

Objection!
There were colored films before 1900, they only have been hand drawn or the scenes have been dyed (Virage)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIrnFrDX … re=related (even Technicolor was invented in 1916)
plus there also were sound films before 1900
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6b0wpBTR1s

ブリックフィルマー

Yeah, I forgot about Melies, he made some coloured films (and I've seen some). You're right with that, A.. I didn't know about the sound, though.
And Btw, Paranickfilmz, you said that Wizard of Oz was made in 1949, that's what I meant by "correcting".