Re: The 2011 Bricks in Motion Awards: The Results!

Honestly, if site-members would just put more time into going through the releases forum and recognizing quality films, that would be a powerful motivator as well. I think folks are putting too much stock into the impetus provided by a prize-free psudo-annual staff-driven award competition. I believe the BiMAs are certainly worth continuing, but if we really want to motivate people to complete good films we should focus on giving them consistent, well considered critique throughout the year.

That said, I am glad to see that people care so much about the awards. Some of these suggestions are interesting; I like the idea of a best series category, though I'm not sure that there are enough decent series to make it competitive.

EDIT: Realized that my post looks like I'm implying that I have something to do with organizing the BiMAs. I do not.

Squash wrote:

I like the idea of a best series category, though I'm not sure that there are enough decent series to make it competitive.

I think that David M. Picket's NNN would basically continue winning every year.  It's a hard act to top.

Squash wrote:

Honestly, if site-members would just put more time into going through the releases forum and recognizing quality films, that would be a powerful motivator as well.

I agree, but the releases forum (and the directory) definitely needs an update... Maybe a new rating system:
http://www.bricksinmotion.com/forums/to … ng-system/ mini/wink

I think the staff reviews (and ratings) were a good and powerful motivator too. Back in 2010 I was waiting for the "official review'' of my new brickfilm and I was really excited about that, no joke.

Loïc F-B wrote:

I think the staff reviews (and ratings) were a good and powerful motivator too. Back in 2010 I was waiting for the "official review'' of my new brickfilm and I was really excited about that, no joke.

Agree, I couldn't wait to see the reviews of my films, which were all terrible ones (meaning low ratings), and that would inspire me to do better next time.

I was excited for the BiMAs too. I hope this year I can actually make something worth (and hope that it doesn't end up like last year...I didn't finish one project). I have seen plenty of films worthy of the awards last year, I think there will be more competition than 2011.

I don't want to pull this too far off-topic, but I do agree that some changes to the rating system could be beneficial. Particularly I would like to see the anonymity done away with. Looking over film ratings, it quickly becomes obvious that the members doing the majority of the brick-rating never seem leave any sort of comment. I haven't spoken with the staff about it recently, but I'd imagine part of the problem with a rating system overhaul is the same problem preventing us from doing staff reviews: we just don't have enough people capable or willing enough to do it.

The only problem with a "Best Brickfilmer" award is that there's no real standard to judge it by. If there's someone who made only one film and it was the best film of the year, then they technically would be the "Best Brickfilmer" but that wouldn't really be fair to someone who's made more films of slightly less quality. And also the creator of the "Best Film" would be the "Best Brickfilmer," so there's no need for two awards which basically mean the same thing.

Squash wrote:

I don't want to pull this too far off-topic, but I do agree that some changes to the rating system could be beneficial. Particularly I would like to see the anonymity done away with. Looking over film ratings, it quickly becomes obvious that the members doing the majority of the brick-rating never seem leave any sort of comment.

Yes, anonymity needs to go. I think that if your brickfilm gets a rating of 1 brick out of 5 then you at least deserve to hear the opinion of that person and the argument for such a rating. My brickfilms get 2-3 bricks all the time, I'm not saying they are all great, but I'd love to hear criticism then, instead I end up with a brickfilm that was rated by 9 people on average with 3 bricks and I get one or two comments at most. It's not fair. Plus it's pretty obvious that some people here suffer from the "Angry noob" syndrome.

minifig051 wrote:

Angry Noob Syndrome (ANS for short).
Known cases: cooldynamiteproductions, brickfilm newbie, legomanfilm78
Description: A noob watches some of a great brickfilmer's films and wants to be just as good or even better than him. But the noob has no idea how to do it. He tries, he fails, he gets frustrated. He also get jealous and green with envy. This amounts to anger, which is expressed towards others' films. The films the noob chooses to bash are films of bad or skeptical quality. In most cases, the bashed films have the same or better quality than the basher's films. Such bashing on this site has resulted in the noob getting banned.
Cure: A more experienced brickfilmer shows the noob the tricks of the trade, since the noob doesn't have enough initiative to find those things out himself.
Alternate Version: Instead of the anger expressed at others' films, the noob gets defensive about his own films (I forget the name of the member who was had a case of this).

I say the new system should force those who want to rate the video post a comment as well and vice-versa.

Chris W. wrote:

The only problem with a "Best Brickfilmer" award is that there's no real standard to judge it by. If there's someone who made only one film and it was the best film of the year, then they technically would be the "Best Brickfilmer" but that wouldn't really be fair to someone who's made more films of slightly less quality. And also the creator of the "Best Film" would be the "Best Brickfilmer," so there's no need for two awards which basically mean the same thing.

This. IMO whoever gets the "Best Brickfilm" award is already the best brickfilmer, so there's no need to have too many categories. It would be illogical if the animator who made the "Best Brickfilm" of the year didn't get the "Best Brickfilmer" award. Ridiculous mini/smile

LarryStudios wrote:
Chris W. wrote:

This. IMO whoever gets the "Best Brickfilm" award is already the best brickfilmer, so there's no need to have too many categories. It would be illogical if the animator who made the "Best Brickfilm" of the year didn't get the "Best Brickfilmer" award. Ridiculous mini/smile

Well, it wouldn't necessarily have to be the person who made the best brickfilm. It could be the most hardworking brickfilmer that year, that has released many good brickfilms where you can really see there's been a lot of work put into it. Or it could be the person who's improved the most that year. That could prove them as a best brickfilmer of the year as well. But, yes; I agree there'd be too many categories.

Last edited by Tobias (January 16, 2013 (06:36am))

YouTube | Twitter 

http://i1106.photobucket.com/albums/h364/sfugity/bimTMIRABbanner_zps0970ba17.png
Currently going for the "Most Inactive" BiM award.

I was thinking more along the lines of someone who's just made a lot of nice brickfilms through the year, but nothing really big that would get any other award.
Someone more like Spider or LGFB

Rather than someone who releases just a one or two really nicely executed polished off brickfilms which would probably get awards like best brickfilm or best animation, like Nick Durron or MindGame.

How does one nominate for the 2012 BiM awards?  I'd like to nominate my voice cast, which I'm blessed to have, into the ensemble category.

https://vimeo.com/channels/holdingourown      http://holding-our-own.tumblr.com

"None practice tolerance less frequently than those who most loudly preach it."

All the nominations get done in the deep-dark depths of the secret chat rooms that only the inner-circle of elitists know about. The process of getting into that circle involves reciting many ancient brickfilmer rituals, passing many booby-traps, defeating an army of ninja-trolls, watching every single MLP episode in a row, paying Smeagol a nice handsome fee and many other trials that make getting on the old review panel look easy. Then, and only then, do you get access into the most secret, protected and utterly cunning discussions that wield the power of yea/nay on the nominations.

The only thing that us normal members do is pick the "Viewer's Choice" film from a list previously conceived by "The Integrated Ones."

So no, there's no way you can nominate them. Although bribing one of the "The Unmentionable Ones" may help. mini/wink

I think that you are allowed to do a 'for your consideration' campaign

Pritchard Studios wrote:

So no, there's no way you can nominate them. Although bribing one of the "The Unmentionable Ones" may help. mini/wink

It's weird how I've been on this site for years now (and on brickfilms.com way before) yet I never became the unmentionable one mini/lol  I feel somewhat insulted. I've seen enough brickfilms to be a judge. Started filming and watching back in 2007.