Topic: BrickFilm Cinematic Universe: Story thread

Well, I think the Character Collection has been going for long enough now. Time to move onto the stories!

If you haven't read the original thread or the Character Collection thread, I'd recommend doing so before continuing.

I've made a list of how I personally would approach the first wave of BFCU animations. I've filled it with examples to give y'all an idea of kind of what I mean. The list is as follows:

• At least one space video. Since there are so many very different space themes, we could have a couple to start with. It could be really zany, like Space Police or Ice Planet, or something Earth-level, like a Moon mission or Alien Conquest. Perhaps see Nick Durron's Abduction series for inspiration.

• A castle video. Either just warring kingdoms, or including the crazy skeleton or troll warriors from recent years. I know some people have been saying that they don't have one or the other - this doesn't by any means have to be limited to one of the actual Castle or Kingdoms theme - just built your factions and make a story for them. I'm going to include vikings and the old ninja/fuedal Japan sets in this category as well.

• Taken by Sonjira: An adventurers video. Johnny Thunder, Pharoah's Quest, or something new. Doesn't need to have a supernatural twist, but it can if you like. Don't just do an Indiana Jones riff, though. Mobdeli's Egyptian Holiday is a great example of an explorers film that has a lot of heart to it.

• A spy video. Most likely Alpha Team or Agents - something that is definitely ground-level and modern day. Lots of people have expressed interest in superheroes as well, so I'm going to include them in this category, since all the old Agents and Alpha Team villains belong in Silver Age comic books anyway. I think a few people have ideas for a film in this category already. Fast Hot Plastic is an amazing Agents example, and it's such a shame L.G. Orlando deleted his account.

• Taken by FlyingMinifig and Squid: A high-fantasy video. This could be something classical, like Greek or Roman myth (the Collectible Minifigure series has a bit of a fixation on ancient Greek gods and monsters), it could be a Tolkien-esque Nordic romp, with elves and dragons and ogres, or it could be something based in Chima or Ninjago (yes, I would class them as high fantasy). JonnDthunDer's Perpetual Twilight and Squid's The Lost Invention are really good examples of high fantasy brickfilms.

• One additional theme, which could be anything from Racers to Pirates to Dino. This is the category for everything else that doesn't fit into another category, so every other LEGO theme or every new theme that we make.

Now, this is just a guideline, but for Phase One of the BFCU, I'd imagine that we should try to only have one of each (with the exception of the Space category, and possibly the final 'anything goes' category). That way, we're not biting off more than we can chew, but we're still getting a wide variety of brickfilms out there.

Once we have our 7 or 8 films planned, it'll be business as usual for the animators, and once we've sorted out the stories we can start allocating brickfilmers to them. By business as usual, I mean that you'll go away and make the film as you would any other. The only difference is that we might have established someone else's characters in it, or you might have someone working with you on a script.

So, the idea now is that people can start posting their ideas for stories into comments on this thread. Please state:

• Which category it falls into.

• If you have any of the characters in the collection thread in mind to appear (either as main characters or as cameos).

• If you think any brickfilmers would be good for this film.

I would also appreciate it if people could comment on other peoples' story ideas, and say if they're willing to script/co-script or animate it.

If anyone has any new ideas or objections, please voice them in a comment below. I really want us to get cracking with this project, as the sooner we get started, the sooner we can get something uploaded!

On another note, the BFCU needs a logo. I was going to whip something up in Photoshop, but could anyone make a CG one? Maybe brick-built? If nobody can/wants to/has the time (which I totally understand) then I'll go back to Photoshop.

Thanks all,

-Jam Pot

Last edited by jampot (September 15, 2013 (12:37am))

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/ZoefDeHaas/stuff/sig1.png
"Nothing goes down 'less I'm involved. No nuggets. No onion rings. No nothin'. A cheeseburger gets sold in the park, I want in! You got fat while we starved on the streets...now it's my turn!" -Harley Morenstein

Re: BrickFilm Cinematic Universe: Story thread

I think the film Squid and I are working on would probably count as fantasy, seeing as it will involve wizards and magical creatures (though it could have a bit of sci-fi in it as well, seeing as Sir Squid is an alien).

Retribution (3rd place in BRAWL 2015)

&Smeagol      make the most of being surrounded by single, educated women your own age on a regular basis in college
AquaMorph    I dunno women are expensive

Okay, awesome - I'll put that as the Phase One high fantasy schtick. Can you message me some more details about it (like plot, title, that kind of thing).

"Nothing goes down 'less I'm involved. No nuggets. No onion rings. No nothin'. A cheeseburger gets sold in the park, I want in! You got fat while we starved on the streets...now it's my turn!" -Harley Morenstein

Last edited by funmiproductions (September 14, 2013 (07:02am))

I have a fantasy/castle storyline in the works. Don't know if you could count it for this or not, and I don't know how far I'm going to get on it, but it might just count as a castle storyline. I'm still playing around with it.

I really enjoyed building Castle back in the day, so it is something I do have a passion for.

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8625/16037138950_5eeda635ce_o.png

Okay! Let me know when you've decided, and have more details. Is that your photostream? It's pretty awesome, especially the Orc Escape.

I'll get some ideas a-brainstormed, but I probably won't be able to animate them (computer stuff). If someone else is willing to use a script I write, it could work.

http://i.imgur.com/Q9NCUnx.png

Well, there's no harm in putting it up here - we'd love whatever input you can give!

jampot wrote:

Okay! Let me know when you've decided, and have more details. Is that your photostream? It's pretty awesome, especially the Orc Escape.

Thanks. That was my old photostream. I've got a different one I've been using for the past couple of years now.

I've always wanted to do a Johnny Thunder/Adventure brickfilm, so I think I'll take up the reigns on that one. If anyone wants to collaborate, let me know!

https://i.imgur.com/gGaR9Oz.png
Youtube @TheRealSonjira I consider it a personal defeat if my pee is not perfectly clear every time.]

I could do something with the miscellaneous theme.

Have you seen a big-chinned boy?

Okay, that's cool, but we're starting to get ahead of ourselves. The main point of this thread is to upload ideas for stories to share with everyone mini/smile

Ok, for a space theme I think it would be cool to do a story where the Earth (now called something different since this is in the future) is attacked by a strange race of aliens, or something. But for space you would need some who knows how to work with a CGI program like Blender.

I can help anyone who working on the Agent or Alpha Team movie. But once I'm done with my own project, I can work on a castle video.

I'm also Bappy on Discord for those wondering.

Hey everyone! I'm starting out wit scripting my film, and there are a couple of questions that I want your help/opinion on:

1. What kind of tone are we going to set with these films? I was thinking of having my film have a campy sort of feel (not unlike the old adventure serials) with some action, comedy, and suspense. I don't know if this fits with other films' tone, or if it matters.

2. How long should these films be? Are we thinking of shorter vignettes, or longer films with more involved story and characters?

3. When do we plan on releasing these films. Kind-of self exclamatory. There are a couple of other films I'll be working with in the next couple of months, so I I'm not sure.

Thanks everyone, and good luck!

https://i.imgur.com/gGaR9Oz.png
Youtube @TheRealSonjira I consider it a personal defeat if my pee is not perfectly clear every time.]

Campy is good. I'd say a similar tone to most of the brickfilms I linked in the first post: there may be lots of action or a bit of violence, but ultimately they're stil quite colourful and good-natured. We're not doing a Batman Begins-style reboot of LEGO here. Your video The Beast and the Farmer was on the right track.

As far as length goes, it can be as long as you like. I would recommend making it longer than a minute and a half/two minutes, so that you have time to tell a proper story, but it's up to you. Involved characters are good.

And for release, I'm not sure. I know Squid and FlyingMinifig are working on something, but that could take a while so don't worry about trying to tie in with it. Can you message me about this? I'd like to know more about your film.

I've been up in York the last few days, so I've had a bit of time to just sit and think about how to integrate stuff into the BFCU. I'm about to make a really long list full of most of my notes. I think a lot of them are quite good and would work well, and unless anyone objects I'd like to make them canon. It also gives us a place to properly start, as these threads have kind of dried up in the last week or so, and I want to keep the momentum going.

So, without further ado...

Castle
I've come up with some kingdoms, mostly based on recent Castle and Kingdoms sets, that would hopefully work nicely.

Coronum: the wealthiest kingdom in all the lands, Coronum's emblem is a crown. They are a proud, noble and just people, and will often go to the aid of smaller kingdoms for little or no reward. It is ruled by King Hector (I named him after the only character in the Iliad that I actually like); in his youth, when he was still a prince, he would fight and slay monsters that threatened the kingdom, and earned himself the title Monster-slayer. Hector's court has a resident wizard called Hilberdim who acts as an advisor to Hector. Coronum is based around a wealthy, idealised Camelot and other elements of Arthurian legend.

Wyvendale: The kingdom of the green dragon knights.

Antrozia: I don't know if anyone remembers Fright Knights, but this is Basil the Bat-lord's kingdom. Willa the Witch also dwells here, in a mountain lair.

Tuskwood: Based on the Evil Knight from the Collectible Minifigures, Tuskwood is a kingdom of twisted black trees, pigpen-shaped villages and monstrous boards. It is ruled by King Talhoof, and the kingdom's emblem is a Boar. Malector, an evil wizard, lives in a treehouse in Tuskwood and is in league with Talhoof.

Space
In terms of a timelines:

• The Classic, City, Mars Mission/Life on Mars and Alien Conquest themes are all modern-day.

• All aliens, including Insectoids, UFO, and the Galaxy Squad aliens, can be considered ongoing - they can appear in the present day, in the future, or even in the distant past.

• Rock Raiders is set in the 22nd century.

• Space Police, all three versions, are in the 23rd century.

• The various Tron themes also exist in the 23rd century onwards, and are civilian expeditions. They include F-Tron (Ice Planet) and Sol-Tron, which is on a solar station in another system. I haven't looked at the actual Tron variations, but we can work in as many of them as we like. I really want to use as many old themes as possible.

• Galaxy Patrol, from the Collectible Minifigures series, is in the 31st century.

• The human side of Galaxy Squad exists in the 71st century.

Forest Legends
A while ago I got some Forest Police sets with a newspaper, and came up with a series idea for it. I don't plan on doing it now (I don't think), although it might work in the BFCU if someone else wanted to. Obviously, all of what I've written below can be adapted and changed, but I think it's versatile enough to work in our universe.

It's a series of brickfilms about a group of forest police somewhere in the USA. The series is mostly CITY-based but can stretch over a variety of themes (see the list Episode ideas below). I'm away from my main computer right now, so I can't upload the logo I was going to use.

Characters
Police

• Reese Dowen: The ‘chief-dude’. Quite relaxed, but still takes the job seriously. In his early forties. Used to work with Alpha Team (now known as the Agency) but resigned to a ‘civilian’ post when the work got too much for him. He still has contacts there. Very understanding. Think’s he’s funny, but generally his jokes are terrible.

• Fern Raines: Granddaughter of legendary adventurer Jake Raines (from Pharoah’s Quest), Fern’s an animal-lover. She wants to go on her own expedition someday, and is in her early thirties.

• John Dowen: Reese’s son, in his mid-twenties. Big fan of the ‘Swamp Man’ books and movies, an avid free-runner and bier, and self-proclaimed ‘Judo-master’. Reckless but good natured. Works as the forest police’s helicopter pilot.

• A.J. Bullhorn: Arthur James Bullhorn was an Oscar-nominated actor, but now ‘retired’ (he’s only 50 or so). Lives on his estate, just within the forest police’s jurisdiction. He regularly helps them out. Likes shooting, and has his own target range. Also a great guitarist.

Robbers

• Hobbes: Small time hood who thinks he’s a major criminal mastermind.

• Davis/’Wrench’: Great mechanic. Also knows everything there is to know about making bombs and explosives.

Episode ideas
Most of these are really half-baked.

• UFO landing

• Temporal disorder: A Robin Hood-esque character comes through. Tries to help the forest police, but ends up hindering them, or dinosaurs run rampant through the forest.

• Forest mages gather to perform a ritual one night.

• John takes part in a motorbike race.

• Evil tree spirits try to take over the forest.

• A forest fire

• A tree surgeon is hired for something.

• Bigfoot

• Lumberjack convention.

• The police must stop some illegal woodcutters.

• A werewolf attacks the station one night.

• Swamp Man, from the books John reads, turns out to be real!

• The police are working overnight when there’s a powercut. Could tie into the UFO, the werewolf, or even the Vampire Council videos that I plan on doing.

• Meeting Fern’s adventuring family.

• A movie is being shot in the forest.

• Slender Man

That's most of what I have for now. I'm going to be posting some stuff in the character thread again later this week. Let me know what you think - if you want to make any changes, if you've got an idea for a story built on some of this, or if you think Forest Legends will/won't work. Whatever you like!

I think the Castle idea is interesting... I just don't know if I like the name Coronum, though. mini/lol

I'll need to get my story developed soon! It's just so hard to find the time.

Yeah, Coronum is a bit dodgy. I was just thinking 'coz it's Spanish for crown...we can develop this, though.

I second Walter, Coronum sounds off to me.  It makes me think of a brand of beer, or some sort of medical heart condition perhaps... mini/tongue 

I do quite like the sounds of the other names ("Antrozia" reminds me of the BIONICLE Phantoka Makuta Antroz...) although Wyvendale or Tuskwood sound more like regional areas or towns rather than entire kingdoms.  I love the idea of having loads of kingdoms; with all the Castle factions and shields the possibilities are near-limitless (although I myself unfortunately don't have loads from any Castle theme, though I do have a fair amount of Trolls and Dwarves from the 2007-2009 theme and Knight's Kingdom I and II stuff).

The Space timeline seems somewhat arbitrary, though--I myself always though the Galaxy Patrol and Galaxy Squad or Space Police minifigs could fit well together.  There's also lots of potential for crossovers, given that the Galaxy Patrol minifig has the Classic Space logo, and that SPIII in particular references loads of other Space themes.

As far as Forest Police goes, it seems a bit too specific--perhaps park rangers might be better.  I've had the idea of making a film about a futuristic police force in a massive somewhat dystopian sci-fi city for a long time now, but I haven't ever come up with anything concrete thus far.  That said, I think a police investigation involving Slenderman-like entities in a creepy wooded area would be great--something a bit along the lines of the "Strangers" series made by Bionicle28...

Retribution (3rd place in BRAWL 2015)

&Smeagol      make the most of being surrounded by single, educated women your own age on a regular basis in college
AquaMorph    I dunno women are expensive