Re: BrickFilm Cinematic Universe: Story thread

FlyingMinifig wrote:

I second Walter, Coronum sounds off to me.  It makes me think of a brand of beer, or some sort of medical heart condition perhaps... mini/tongue

Agreed. I wasn't very fond of it anyway.

FlyingMinifig wrote:

I do quite like the sounds of the other names ("Antrozia" reminds me of the BIONICLE Phantoka Makuta Antroz...) although Wyvendale or Tuskwood sound more like regional areas or towns rather than entire kingdoms.

That was part of the idea, as I wanted to give them the impression of being smaller kingdoms than the Crown kingdom. Perhaps kingdom is the wrong word to use; I see Tuskwood at least being a realm similar in size to somewhere like Lothlorien - it's not big, but it's still kind of referred to as a kingdom or a realm in its own right. The names are also Tolkien-inspired, since LOTR is kind of the paragon of Western fantasy literature (well, a lot fantasy takes cues from it).

FlyingMinifig wrote:

I love the idea of having loads of kingdoms; with all the Castle factions and shields the possibilities are near-limitless (although I myself unfortunately don't have loads from any Castle theme, though I do have a fair amount of Trolls and Dwarves from the 2007-2009 theme and Knight's Kingdom I and II stuff).

More kingdoms! The trolls should really have their own kingdom somewhere, as should the dwarves and the bull knights. Perhaps we could even lead into an elf kingdom later on, but definitely the trolls for now. The stereotypically evil, orc-like race is something that should definitely be present in the Castle side of the BFCU.

FlyingMinifig wrote:

The Space timeline seems somewhat arbitrary, though--I myself always though the Galaxy Patrol and Galaxy Squad or Space Police minifigs could fit well together.  There's also lots of potential for crossovers, given that the Galaxy Patrol minifig has the Classic Space logo, and that SPIII in particular references loads of other Space themes.

Perhaps they could, but I see them as an evolution of the same thing, starting at SPI. That would explain why the same space logo carries on throughout, from Classic space to Galaxy Patrol. Plus, Galaxy Squad's style gives the impression of either being really deep in space or in the far, far future. That's not to say GP and GS couldn't be at the same time, though.

I just think it's important to set out some vague parameters of time - nothing too limiting, like saying "this happened in the year 2107", but enough to give collaborators an idea of when stuff happens.

An alternative is that they all happen at the same time (let's say the 24th century), but Space Police is police, Galaxy Patrol is military, and Galaxy Squad is a specific taskforce. That would probably work better than my original idea, and allow for better integration of all the themes. I do think it's important to establish vaguely when in the future it is, though. 23rd or 24th century onwards.

But all the stuff I mentioned being modern day (Mars, Classic space, Alien Conquest etc) should really be modern-day. We don't want to make our sci-fi bits purely in the future, 'coz then we limit ourselves too much.

FlyingMinifig wrote:

As far as Forest Police goes, it seems a bit too specific--perhaps park rangers might be better.

Whichever would probably work well. Besides, there's nothing to say both can't be done. The reason I initially chose Forest Police was because it was out in the countryside, and could cover a really large area of land in the story. They have all the authority of the police, and the same 'enemies' to deal with (all kinds of criminals) but if you stick 'em deep in the woods, you can have all kinds of strange and mysterious things happen around them (hence the UFOs and werewolves). Park rangers, to me, brings up images of Central Park and Yogi Bear, which wasn't what I originally aimed for. But hey, this isn't just mine anymore, so we can work with whatever works, so to speak.

FlyingMinifig wrote:

That said, I think a police investigation involving Slenderman-like entities in a creepy wooded area would be great--something a bit along the lines of the "Strangers" series made by Bionicle28...

Yes, although we don't want to rip off his series, which is why I suggested including it in Forest Police/Park Rangers. They provide a different dynamic to the FBI or CIA swooping in. That said, a bit of rivalry between the CIA and the forest police might be interesting. If you watch Lethal Weapon or The Negotiator or other movies like them, the CIA are always the supposedly tough agency that swoops in and makes things worse, so we could build on tropes like that.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/ZoefDeHaas/stuff/sig1.png
"Nothing goes down 'less I'm involved. No nuggets. No onion rings. No nothin'. A cheeseburger gets sold in the park, I want in! You got fat while we starved on the streets...now it's my turn!" -Harley Morenstein

It is OK if I carry on with my Johnny Thunder Interactive Story?

For now I just intend to set it in 'The Jungle', and the story begins in 'The City'. Its still in the writing stage (I'm not going to get a chance to animate this sucker until next year - but I can still plan, write and voice everything), so I can easily change stuff around.

The Plot is basically Johnny and Doctor Kilroy go to the Jungle to find the ancient MacGuffin, where they are persued by Baron Von Baron. I intend Johnny to have an Austrlian accent, Kilroy to have my accent, and Baron Von Baron to have a German accent. The joke is that everyone really wants to be a Park Ranger/Forest Policeman instead, but their names and accents have already chosen their destinies. The whole thing is only vaguely a take on Indiana Jones (though I plan a scene where Johnny escapes from a boulder and some poor guy is like "Do you know how long it took me to roll that boulder into position!? Now I'm gonna have to push it all the way back for the next idiot explorer!!"). The plot is more of a satire of the Johnny Thunder theme - and Hollywood cliche's as a whole. For example: It turns out that the MacGuffin is an evil plot devised by the residents of the Jungle to increase tourism, and its just a cheap imitation relic saying "I Survived The Jungle".

I may leave it open for sequels, but I know from experience that Interactive Stories are a pain to plan/shoot/edit - and I have many other projects I want to do (including a really weird music video, a spiritual sequel to The Magic Portal, the last ever Mr Socially Imparied, and possibly more films set in the BrickFilm Cinematic Universe)

Of course, if this is plagarising someone elses idea then I can always just drop it and leave these plotpoints/jokes for someone else to take, providing they pay me 50% of all profits made.

Last edited by Max Butcher (September 22, 2013 (11:33am))

YouTube
Max, She/They

Sounds good... but I thought the idea of this was not to stick to established tropes and stereotypes.  As you said yourself, evil orcs are somewhat stereotypical--why not, say, have heroic goblins (like Squid has done with Ouskavar in The Lost Invention)?  Of course not all orcs should be heroic, but I don't think they should always be inherently evil. And why should elves always be inherently good, either?  I'd love to see some evil/corrupted elves for a change.  While LotR is great and I can appreciate its influence on the fantasy genre, its influence has become overpowering and cloying in general, so I think it would be better to break away from the mould as it were.

I do really like the idea of having a patchwork of kingdoms and small potentates for the medieval world, with possibly a few Free Cities thrown in here and there as well.

Ditto on the sci-fi stuff, that sounds great.

Yeah, but I'm not sure there is specifically such a thing as "Forest Police"--I mean, there isn't a lot to attract criminals into the forest, compared to, say the city.  On the other hand, being a park ranger could cover a lot from patrolling large areas of wilderness to fighting against illegal logging and poaching.

Well, I would hope it would be obvious that we don't want to rip off anyone.  I just meant the general idea of setting a supernatural crime in a forest.  I also think it would be cool to make it sci-fi or futuristic as well--that way you could have a conflict and contrast between modern technology/forensics and "magic"/supernatural/the unexplained.  Because in that storyline almost nobody believes in supernatural stuff like monsters and people think the creatures are a superstition or myth, the police are way out of their depth when they realize that this isn't just any ordinary crime.  Also this would add great potential for adding in the Agents or Alpha Team, or maybe even Adventurers.  Again, I'm not too sure about adding CIA/FBI conflict stuff, because that has been done to death and I think it would be better to come up with fresh ideas...

EDIT:  That sounds like it's going to be hilarious, Max.  You should really do that.  I'm not sure I would like it as an interactive adventure, though; I think it would be better as a film.

Last edited by Mr Vertigo (September 22, 2013 (12:08pm))

Retribution (3rd place in BRAWL 2015)

&Smeagol      make the most of being surrounded by single, educated women your own age on a regular basis in college
AquaMorph    I dunno women are expensive

FlyingMinifig wrote:

Sounds good... but I thought the idea of this was not to stick to established tropes and stereotypes.  As you said yourself, evil orcs are somewhat stereotypical--why not, say, have heroic goblins (like Squid has done with Ouskavar in The Lost Invention)?  Of course not all orcs should be heroic, but I don't think they should always be inherently evil. And why should elves always be inherently good, either?  I'd love to see some evil/corrupted elves for a change.  While LotR is great and I can appreciate its influence on the fantasy genre, its influence has become overpowering and cloying in general, so I think it would be better to break away from the mould as it were.

You sort of have to wade a few paces deep into a trope to make fun of it. Most of The Avengers is pretty self-deprecating about the superhero genre if you listen closely to some of the dialogue, and yet it in itself is a superhero movie. Same with The Cabin in the Woods (to use another Joss Whedon movie as an example); it's a horror movie that makes fun of the horror genre whilst firmly remaining a horror itself. So if we were to use Tolkien-esque elements, like the '07 Castle theme did itself, then we could still make fun of it whilst firmly remaining a Tolkienoid fantasy. The 'not all trolls are evil' thing is a perfect example of that (don't know if you've seen any of Brotherhood Workshop's animations, but they do that a lot, and it's hilarious). Also, elves aren't inherently good. There are Dark Elves, Black Elves, and in The Hobbit, I would by no means describe Thranduil and the Mirkwood elves as being inherently good. They happen to fight for the good guys at the end, but are extremely selfish, dangerous and a bit malicious at times.

But that's not to see we can't just take our own path anyway. I'm suggesting we do something that is ours, but take the odd element here and there that we can use but also poke fun at as we see fit. You can wear your influences on your sleeve without being an ad for or a rip-off of those influences.

Also, we wouldn't use the term orc - that was originally created in Tolkien. We should stick to troll or ogre or goblin.

FlyingMinifig wrote:

Yeah, but I'm not sure there is specifically such a thing as "Forest Police"--I mean, there isn't a lot to attract criminals into the forest, compared to, say the city.  On the other hand, being a park ranger could cover a lot from patrolling large areas of wilderness to fighting against illegal logging and poaching.

Ran a few searches, settled on park rangers. Let's go with them.

FlyingMinifig wrote:

I just meant the general idea of setting a supernatural crime in a forest. I also think it would be cool to make it sci-fi or futuristic as well--that way you could have a conflict and contrast between modern technology/forensics and "magic"/supernatural/the unexplained.  Because in that storyline almost nobody believes in supernatural stuff like monsters and people think the creatures are a superstition or myth, the police are way out of their depth when they realize that this isn't just any ordinary crime.

Some people should believe, I think, but not everyone. The world we're setting up is quite an oddball one, where figs have made it to Mars and met aliens, and with all these magical medieval kingdoms just around the corner. But specticism could be fun to play with. And I do like having the supernatural crimes, as long as we steer away from turning into the X-Files (of which I'm a massive fan). We can't end up covering the same ground.

FlyingMinifig wrote:

Also this would add great potential for adding in the Agents or Alpha Team, or maybe even Adventurers.

I had this idea that Alpha Team was started in the 90s specifically to combat Ogel, but after his defeat a few years ago Alpha Team was reorganised into the Agency (the Agents, basically). I think that works quite nicely - AT was made hastily out of panic, and then refined after it had done its job. It means we can integrate characters from both, but since the Agents sets were more recent there's a greater chance of people having them.

Adventurers would be fun to add, too.

FlyingMinifig wrote:

Again, I'm not too sure about adding CIA/FBI conflict stuff, because that has been done to death and I think it would be better to come up with fresh ideas...

It would be park rangers/CIA conflict, which I'm pretty sure hasn't been done before.

"Nothing goes down 'less I'm involved. No nuggets. No onion rings. No nothin'. A cheeseburger gets sold in the park, I want in! You got fat while we starved on the streets...now it's my turn!" -Harley Morenstein

True.  Though I thought the Mirkwood Elves in The Hobbit weren't evil per se, but rather morally neutral, or seeking to protect their own interests.  But my point is that elves usually seem to be good, while trolls are pretty much always portrayed as evil.  And yeah, I have seen BrotherHoodWorkshop's clips, and they are indeed hilarious, though they're more of an outright parody and comedy skit/short, rather than a self-contained story.  What I meant is that we should try to stay away from the obvious or well-established tropes/conventions in our films, unless we want to deliberately parody or pay a homage to LotR (or Star Wars, or whatever). 

Hmm, coming to think of it, I think my police story idea would probably work much better as a stand-alone story rather than a part of the BFCU.  If this universe is really eccentric and idiosyncratic it doesn't make a lot of sense for loads of people to be sceptics--and the majority of people in that film would be sceptics, because they belive science has explained everything, or something along those lines.  The conflict between scepticism and the seemingly magical abilities of the mysterious Slenderman-like entity would be a central focus of the film, so it would be difficult to work around that.  On the other hand, maybe it could just take place in an alternate universe or timeline, or something like that.

Oh yeah, and while I'm pretty sure that a specific CIA/Forest Police conflict has never been done before, I was more referring to the general characterization.  What I meant was that portraying an intelligence agency as either "the good guys who get everything done" or "the jerks who basically mess up everything and make life hard for our protagonist(s)" is pretty cliched and has been done to death (OK, so this is a huge oversimplification, but you get what I mean).  Besides, it seems kinda weird to me to throw in real-life agencies like the CIA or FBI into this universe which is clearly fictional and has no semblance to the real world--what with magic everywhere, and medieval kingdoms and fantasy worlds and sci-fi futures all co-existing simultaneously and stuff.  I think it would be much more interesting to have a fictional intelligence agency that is morally ambiguous--they either obstruct or assist the heroes depending on whether or not it suits their needs (this would potentially create a lot more tension too as nobody knows what their true motives are).  They don't really form a central presence in the film, but  are always lurking around the edges, watching and waiting....  Of course, this isn't to say we could have agencies that are rivals and stuff.

Last edited by Mr Vertigo (September 25, 2013 (03:28pm))

&Smeagol      make the most of being surrounded by single, educated women your own age on a regular basis in college

Well, in every organization you've got your goods and your bads, and you've got the people who get stuff done and the people who don't. Inter-organization conflict is always more interesting when you've got rogue elements, people on one side who lean towards the ideals of the other, etc. Characters wind up mistrusting and doubting each other because of that conflict, and that will always lead to some excellent story possibilities when doing an espionage film. Perhaps we could have the head of the agents organization be seen as a sort of antagonist, and then kill him off and replace him with a more idealistic, intelligent boss man. This way, he would be cast into doubt and suspicion because of previous debacles with aforementioned pseudo-antagonist.

so what if i've been watching agents of shield it's a solid concept]

http://i.imgur.com/Q9NCUnx.png

Just thought - should we do a Halloween collab? I mean, if we each did a short animation that was something Halloween-y, all set in the BFCU, and then each video would have a link at the end to the others. It might actually be a good starting point for us.

E.g., someone could do a Castle one that's all haunted ruins and walking skeletons, someone could do a City Halloween thing where a real monster is on the loose but everyone thinks it's a trick-or-treater (just an idea, not a very good one, I know), someone could have a Pumpkin-headed character, and so on.

If we were going to do that, we'd need to start co-ordinating it now. Thoughts?

Well, I've wanted to make a brickfilm about a crazy superhero character of mine called "The Incredible Mr. Pumpkin-Head" for a long time now.  I don't know, that could be a starting point...

I think I remember him from the Minifig Critique thread...

FlyingMinifig wrote:

This is a character for an upcoming film of mine which features a team of crazy superheroes with some weird powers, called The Incredible Mr. Pumpkin-Head:

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8122/8646013070_1a07c6791b.jpg

I think that could work. A Halloween-powered superhero would be fun. What are his powers, and who would his enemy(ies) be? Could they be another, lesser-known holiday, like Meal Monday or Singles Awareness Day (just as some examples of 'holidays' nobody knows about).

I have an idea for a castle one, about this guy called Oneiro. The minifig will be massively updated, but I have the whole thing planned out. Part of it would be narrated but the rest would be like the Fantasia 'Night on Bald Mountain' thing, when you see Oneiro sending nightmares to peoples' homes.

Yup, that's him.

He's not really Halloween-themed as such, though--he's basically a weird guy who wears a special Pumpkin Helmet (which is rumoured to be alien technology) on his head.

As for villains, his arch-nemesis is Mr. Smiley.

I has story idea!
So, it's space, Year: FarFuture. And Earth has discovered a new planet they call, Planet K, and plans to research on it's "uninhabited" land. The gravity is much too unstable to sustain anything living (so they thought) so they were able to build a large, tube-like device that made the gravity levels just like on earth. The natives aren't happy about that. An fleet of natives are sent onto the human space station to destroy the machine and their operation. Will they be victorious?
Main Character: (I'll try to post a picture and bio in the character thread) Think Tom Cruise in a space suit. Classic action hero: Good looks, heroic, brave, but all in proportion.
Bad guys: Obviously the Natives. They will destroy anyone in their way to stop what the humans are doing on their planet. Ugly creatures that show no mercy.

I was also thinking, there could be and epic fight scene where Hero and Native are fighting... and falling. They are falling through the tube 'cause they fell or something, battling each other, all as our here is trying to turn the machine off so they don't fall splat! That in my opinion would be epic.

I hope you guys like it. I'd say it would be about four minutes long in total because I don't think it would need too much plot development.
Thanks!

~Hal

Why are the natives the bad guys? I mean, if humans are going and trying to terraform them (which would likely end in genocide, since the changes in the environment would probably make the planet uninhabitable for the natives) then it's only natural that the natives would fight back. From your description, I'd honestly want to side with them against the humans. Plus, it sounds a lot like Avatar with some O'Neill cylinders/the Inception hallway/Rinzler VS Clu 2.0 thrown in. Sorry if I've burst any bubbles, but I think it's important to tell people if something's funky rather than let them spend too much time or effort on it.

Gee, what kinda sucks is that I agree with you. Forget that idea then, too many bugs. I shall be back when I get better at ideas! mini/bigsmile

~Hal

co0lwill wrote:

Main Character: (I'll try to post a picture and bio in the character thread) Think Tom Cruise in a space suit. Classic action hero: Good looks, heroic, brave, but all in proportion.
Bad guys: Obviously the Natives. They will destroy anyone in their way to stop what the humans are doing on their planet. Ugly creatures that show no mercy.

The story is Zapp Brannigan try to destroy the Na'vi from Avatar.
That what I can think of, by the story.

I'm also Bappy on Discord for those wondering.

I never saw Avatar. Probably could have helped if I did.

~Hal

When do we start? mini/confused

I'm not entirely sure. FlyingMinifig, what's your status? (on that animation you had plans for? assuming I'm not getting confused)

I'm going to start Vampire Council soon.

Well, Squid has said he probably won't have time for it, so I'll most likely be doing most of it on my own (as far as the animation goes, at least).  I'm not sure if I'll get it out any time soon.  I was actually intending to make a brickfilm over half-term, but I've been so insanely busy that I've barely done anything at all besides a few animation tests.  Besides which, I've barely made any progress on the script, and I have bunch of other brickfilms I want to do.

So, long story short, it'll probably be quite a while before this film comes out, assuming I even have the time to make it.  I really, really want to make this (or at least something), but just the way my life has been running lately I'm not even sure if I'll even be able to make it.  At the very least, it's going to be some time before my film will come out.

Ah, okay.

FlyingMinifig wrote:

I was actually intending to make a brickfilm over half-term, but I've been so insanely busy that I've barely done anything at all besides a few animation tests.

Same here…Istari Halloween royally flopped mini/sad

what should I do?