Re: 2015: The Contest

Now I just need to think of an idea.

You never said it had to be done with Lego...So can we do it live action?

CommonFilms wrote:

No. Must be LEGO. This is BiM, and the idea is to create a high quality brickfilm. But thanks for asking.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/ZoefDeHaas/stuff/sig1.png
"Nothing goes down 'less I'm involved. No nuggets. No onion rings. No nothin'. A cheeseburger gets sold in the park, I want in! You got fat while we starved on the streets...now it's my turn!" -Harley Morenstein

Wow, the prizes are great! Very generous of the people who donated...

jampot wrote:

must feature clips from more than 15 different scenes (though each of those does not need to be huge).
-JR

Does this mean 15 shots or 15 distinct scenes?

Those are some awesome prizes! I probably won't be entering though, just due to life and everything. mini/sad

However if you need any "backup judges" or anything like that, feel free to let me know. Maybe I could still be of some use.

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8625/16037138950_5eeda635ce_o.png

jampot wrote:
CommonFilms wrote:

No. Must be LEGO. This is BiM, and the idea is to create a high quality brickfilm. But thanks for asking.

So no mega bloks then? If so that would be disappointing...

END films wrote:
jampot wrote:

must feature clips from more than 15 different scenes (though each of those does not need to be huge).
-JR

Does this mean 15 shots or 15 distinct scenes?

15 distinct scenes.

Slurping Animations wrote:
jampot wrote:
CommonFilms wrote:

So no mega bloks then? If so that would be disappointing...

Mega Bloks are allowed, as they are part of what brickfilming is classed as on this site. I'm going by the same principles as the whole site, which is 'Bricks' in general. Brickfilms can be LEGO or Mega Bloks.

"Nothing goes down 'less I'm involved. No nuggets. No onion rings. No nothin'. A cheeseburger gets sold in the park, I want in! You got fat while we starved on the streets...now it's my turn!" -Harley Morenstein

I'd really like to be a judge, Jampot. mini/smile

And, despite what I said in my PM, I may actually enter as well! (Just for fun, of course.)

I think this is a great Idea, and I can't wait to see what others present for this contest. I'm sure some of us would love to see them made into actual films one day mini/tongue

https://i.imgur.com/Z8VtGae.png

Ignore this post.

Last edited by jampot (January 23, 2014 (11:41am))

Honestly, I think judging it will be of much more fun than actually entering! lol

Twitter | Instagram | YouTube Channel | Tumblr | My Weekly Film Podcast!
"For I am NOT ashamed of the Gospel of Christ" - Romans 1:16

CommonFilms wrote:

No, you may not.

This is a no-brainer on a website devoted to stop-motion animations made with LEGO.

Gentrystudios wrote:

Honestly, I think judging it will be of much more fun than actually entering! lol

That's, in some cases, debatable. I find film-making and judging for contests equally as difficult (more or less in some cases).  Besides, encouraging that judging is better than film-making itself is not a good way to attract entrants. I can understand you're excited to judge a big contest, as I am too, but no reason to get ahead of ourselves here.

On another note, I'm happy to see the amount of entries that may be possibly made. It really excites me, and makes me happy to be a part of this. mini/smile

Last edited by LASF (January 23, 2014 (01:52pm))

You really need to add some more information to the main post. It seems that people don't quite understand the aim.

First off let me say I'm very impressed with this contest; its a lengthy contest with an original twist and some lovely prizes. However I would like to ask a couple of things regarding the judging.

jampot wrote:
  • 20% Sound: Sound is a vital part of any movie, and coming from a family of radio-geeks I feel like it's my duty to emphasise how important sound is mini/bigsmile  Remember just how essential it is. Voice-overs and their acting skills also come under this category - emotion, people!

• 20% Picture: You will be judged on image quality and any effects that you use in your film, but obviously Animation and Story are more important.

First off I'm a big fan of the sound category. I think its highly under valued, and for someone who records their own sound designs I wish it was a bigger factor, so thanks for including that. In contrast, the Picture category seems a bit unfair to me, or at least if its what I think it means. I feel like this category favours people with money over those who don't. I happen to own a T2i (550D) and AE, Premiere Pro, etc. I don't tend to use them for brickfilming due to a lot of hassle, and various other issues. I managed to afford all this through film competition and student deals, but I see a lot of other people still using their Logitechs, like Twickabrick for example. He makes spectacular films, yet he sticks by the trust 4000. Would this category not favour those who can afford better tech over those who can't?

Just a thought anyway. I shall have an article on this contest posted over on Brickflickers in the coming days.

'look like it was shot at 2 FPS by a blindfolded five year old boy with broken fingers and no thumbs.' -PushOver
I'll be back animating soon! Exams and computer faults are keeping me away </3

Drifter (THAC 11) - Here

I agree with Onion (being someone who can't afford a dslr). So will picture be based of image resolution and image quality or will be lighting and the "look" of the film like less points for out of focus and really flicker filled stuff or less points for just an unrealistic look to the image and also to be used to detract points for cheesy bad vfx? Also if animation and story are more important why does image have an equal % ?

Image is about several things: cinematography, VFX, and lighting and the general quality of the content rather than the resolution. I shall make this clearer in the main post.

CommonFilms wrote:

You really need to add some more information to the main post. It seems that people don't quite understand the aim.

I don't think I do. I've made the main post about as detailed as I can, with only a couple of minor problems. No offense, but your question earlier was kind of inane - we're on a brickfilming site, and the competition is to make high-quality brickfilms, which it says clearly in the main post and lots of posts since. mini/confused A question about Picture I can understand, however, as I hadn't made that particular aspect very clear. Not trying to be rude about it, but I think the aim's as clear as I can make it.

The aim is very clear, you did a great job setting up the main post.

One question, just for the future, where do I post plot synopsis, pictures, complete plot, ect?

Thanks mini/smile

Jampot, would it be okay if the segment of the film, eventually gets turned into a film?

Yikes! The trailer can only be three minutes long? I thought the point was to make it really cool and more detailed, like the Avatar trailer you posted.
I was hoping to get to flaunt those magnificent space station set pieces and not just make a really fast-paced little trailer.
Oh well.

EDIT: OK, the Avatar trailer is just half a minute longer. I guess it can be done well, but it'll be harder with plastic. I like a challenge though mini/smile

Last edited by BrickStory (January 24, 2014 (09:40am))

GEF wrote:

The aim is very clear, you did a great job setting up the main post.

One question, just for the future, where do I post plot synopsis, pictures, complete plot, ect?

Thanks mini/smile

I will work something out closer to the time. You won't need to upload any of it until the very end.

Rockydude411Bricks wrote:

Jampot, would it be okay if the segment of the film, eventually gets turned into a film?

Yes, although please wait until after the contest has closed.

And BrickStory, those are rough guidelines. Going over by a minute is fine. Going up to 5 or 6 minutes…well, you'll be asked to cut it down. 4 should be your absolute maximum. It's like in essays where you have a percentage of leeway.