Topic: Brickfilmers making money off skills

Hi guys,
Just a question, as I am now getting work from video stuff, and all(YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D mini/bigsmile mini/bigsmile mini/bigsmile mini/bigsmile mini/bigsmile mini/bigsmile mini/bigsmile mini/bigsmile ) has any of you others managed to do the same?

Re: Brickfilmers making money off skills

No, but more power to you!  I persoanlly don't want to be commisioned to Brickfilm, because whenever I do art for others, I don't enjoy it like I do when I do it for myself.

https://vimeo.com/channels/holdingourown      http://holding-our-own.tumblr.com

"None practice tolerance less frequently than those who most loudly preach it."

I have so far made £150 from YouTube, got a summer job at a VFX studio and made £300, but as yet i've not been commissioned to do anything. I'm not sure how much I would want to be, but it'd certainly be a learning experience.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/ZoefDeHaas/stuff/sig1.png
"Nothing goes down 'less I'm involved. No nuggets. No onion rings. No nothin'. A cheeseburger gets sold in the park, I want in! You got fat while we starved on the streets...now it's my turn!" -Harley Morenstein

Really, 150 pounds? Maybe I should start putting ads on my videos... Photography is my biggest source of income, although that's not necessarily directly related to brickfilming.

backyardlegos wrote:

Really, 150 pounds? Maybe I should start putting ads on my videos... Photography is my biggest source of income, although that's not necessarily directly related to brickfilming.

It takes quite a bit of views to earn even a small bit from YouTube. Not saying you won't earn any money, but it can be hard.

Twitter | Instagram | YouTube Channel | Tumblr | My Weekly Film Podcast!
"For I am NOT ashamed of the Gospel of Christ" - Romans 1:16

Yeah…my £150 was from about 200,000 views, which means (I think) that you need 1334 views to get £1. Those aren't precise figures, I'm just estimating.

"Nothing goes down 'less I'm involved. No nuggets. No onion rings. No nothin'. A cheeseburger gets sold in the park, I want in! You got fat while we starved on the streets...now it's my turn!" -Harley Morenstein

I get 80-100 pounds every month, it's ok, but I have friends who make a lot more mini/lol

I have made exactly $0.00 dollars off of YouTube. Then again, I'm too young for AdSense, plus I never really ever had an interest in making money off of YouTube. Eventually, I'll probably sign up for AdSense, but I'm not sure.

My Adsense was disabled...
Probably will open new channel, but then again, a lot of work to match up to the success my current channel has, in terms of subscribers and viewers

I have decided to avoid putting ads on my videos because I find them annoying on others videos.

not just from ad revenue, but like jampot mentioned, hiring your services out, I do wedding videography after the guy saw my stop motion!
and going for a interview on wednesday with some editing.

I'm aware of how little you make from YouTube; every time I consider putting ads on my videos, I decide against it because I want to brickfilm for the sake of brickfilming, not for money. Unless I start getting 100,000 views a video, I'll probably never have ads, they are pretty annoying.

yeah, but, what im saying Backyardlegos, is, if your skills are in this category, do that(or atleast try) to do it for work, ask around, filming places galore.

I made a new channel, and I am partnered with fullscreen. No money has been made...

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaLyL_WbNJrL_OBtHR_h5hA

Last edited by funmiproductions (February 4, 2014 (04:46pm))

I'm partnered with Fullscreen. I make on average $5 a month. Pretty good for putting out a video every now and then.

I plan on being more active so I can add more material to my college portfolio and make a few bucks while at it.

A Life? Cool! Where can I download one of those from?

I was just talking about this with a friend and I thought about this thread.

So far I've won 3 contracts and a plane ticket because of my Youtube videos. In Malaysia, where I am, we were not allowed to monetize our videos before early last year, so we were mostly using our channels as our portfolios. It's a different game we're playing here that involves monitoring trends in Ning, LinkedIn groups and Twitter hashtags to look at who's got the money, and what they want to buy or represent and then doing lots of shameless self promotion. I know a lot of people who've won a lot more contracts (contracts that are much bigger sizes) than I have. 

I have friends who would apply to funders (foundations, trusts, etc.) mostly based in the US and Europe who would fund artistic projects. If you're based in the West, wouldn't it be easier to meet funders in festivals or at their offices to pitch ideas? I know people who would be willing to fly over there just for the chance to submit proposals. mini/lol

I'm not expecting to make money from Youtube ads but I am putting them up because Youtube's suggested videos algorithms are sometimes not as accurate as they should be and my videos have attracted "the wrong kind of crowd." So the ads are kinda like "are you sure you want to watch this? it's not too late to change your mind... I don't want to waste precious minutes of your life...." reminders.

Still loading....

haha, well, congrags JF, yeah< I'm actually just editing up a DVD I did for a wedding... its most profitable to do what you said, make them your Portfolios.

There's a topic on the same subject in the secret Community forum, so I'll copypaste what I wrote there:

I've been commissioned 3 times for online LEGO PR campaigns. Interestingly, LEGO has two PR teams - one for their actual products, and one for their brand. I was working with the brand PR folks, who don't know a thing about LEGO! They found me through an article in the local paper after I'd had a film shown at a film festival.

The first two - Movie Moments and 2012: A Year in Bricks were kind of a pain to work on. I was just given the task of recreating existing things, and I had to do it in a pretty short space of time. I cut a lot of corners to finish them for the deadlines, and the whole process felt pretty stifling. These were put on YouTube, then the PR folks sent press releases to every outlet they knew telling people to go watch them.

More recently I was contacted by the same people to make a brickfilm about ice skating, and I'll probably get told off if I go into any more details. I was given much more creative freedom, and overall it's been a much more fun process. I've finished animating it, and am waiting on them to send me a list of comments and additions before I can release it. (edit: the changes they suggested involve me starting from scratch... ugggghhhh)

I also made a music video for a LEGO employee who makes music in his spare time. I finished it a couple of months ago and don't know when it's going to appear on YouTube...

https://i.imgur.com/1JxY79v.png

I put Adsense on my moviefigure channel some time last year seeing as one of my videos was getting tons of views, at first I was making loads of money, but it's died down a little recently, which has made me want to finish my current film a lot more seeing as I have a proper incentive now.

I really do wish I could get commissioned though, but I guess you have to be recognised for that to happen, and apart from that one popular video I have, I don't exactly have much recognition.

http://i.imgur.com/WAr6hHC.png
BRAWL 2013 ENTRY Quack In Time
"Why in the world did you do a weird language if you know English?" - tenny1028

Is Fullscreen worth it? What are the benefits (like, what do you get out of it) and what are the negatives?

Last edited by jampot (February 17, 2014 (02:09pm))