Re: Brickfilmers making money off skills

Hazzat wrote:

There's a topic on the same subject in the secret Community forum...

Yup.

mini/madhead

"Tell stories that matter to you, not stories that'll sell." - Stephen Tobolowsky

YouTube/Twitter/SG

^^ *cough* Ed-word Scissorhands don't like no splinterverses *cough*

Still loading....

That link is oudated/broken.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/ZoefDeHaas/stuff/sig1.png
"Nothing goes down 'less I'm involved. No nuggets. No onion rings. No nothin'. A cheeseburger gets sold in the park, I want in! You got fat while we starved on the streets...now it's my turn!" -Harley Morenstein

Nope, that link works fine for those who are in the super-secret of awesome-ness.
It's just blocked for normal members.

And to paraphrase my comment there:
I've made a bit from various contest winnings, have yet to receive a check from Google Adsense, but have also sunk quite a bit into the hobby. So I'm pretty sure I'm in the black, just not 100% sure.

OoOoOoOoOoOoOoOo.............

Do you guys like...hold hands and sing this:
http://www.lyricsontop.com/tegan-and-sa … yrics.html

Still loading....

Psst, JF, that site has the lyrics wrong. Like, completely wrong.

Pritchard Studios wrote:

Nope, that link works fine for those who are in the super-secret of awesome-ness.
It's just blocked for normal members.

Oh great. That makes me feel soooo much better.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/ZoefDeHaas/stuff/sig1.png
"Nothing goes down 'less I'm involved. No nuggets. No onion rings. No nothin'. A cheeseburger gets sold in the park, I want in! You got fat while we starved on the streets...now it's my turn!" -Harley Morenstein

hey guys, just letting you know, I did a wedding the last month and the family is VERY happy with the result...

(I can Give you's all a link to the video if you want(not on my channel))

*tips hat*

What are the bridesmaids wearing?

Still loading....

JF wrote:

*tips hat*

What are the bridesmaids wearing?

. . . why . . . ?

Oh shoot! That might have come out wrong. It's a Malaysian thing. Here, we make bridesmaids wear the most bizarre costu...I mean outfits in wedding ceremonies.

Sometimes I forget who I am talking with.

ETA: grammar

Still loading....

thats ok, and yeah, did come out a lil sus... mini/tongue

Here's a totally crazy idea and I need to pick your brain(s).

Has anybody tried cross-promotions ie. advertisers dropping links into your videos description boxes while paying you a weekly fee as they check their traffic, SEO or SERP.
Example: I just coded an animation software, let's say I called it Peanut Butter Jelly Monkey Frog. I would like to promote my software by paying you some money on a weekly basis but you'll have to include my link in the description box of one of your videos. I will check traffic to my site to see if your video is getting me the clicks and if it is worth it for me, I will continue to pay you.

Here's the brain picking part:

1) Do you think you'll enjoy brickfilming less if you use it to promote products?
2) What is a fair weekly rate?
3) What was your previous experience in this?
4) If your previous experience was a negative one, what strategy would you suggest so that the arrangement would be a win-win situation for both the advertiser as well as the brickfilmer?
5) Would there be products (or causes, say it's a non-profit advertiser) that you do not wish to be associated with? (Example: you don't believe in global warming therefore you do not wish to endorse environmentalists)

I'd also imagine that something like this would appeal more to a brickfilmer who is above the legal employment age in his/her respective country.

Any thoughts?
um...is this the right place to post this?

Still loading....

JF wrote:

Has anybody tried cross-promotions ie. advertisers dropping links into your videos description boxes while paying you a weekly fee...

What you are describing is typically done using a 'performance-based' revenue model; meaning the advertiser (in your example, the code developer) is looking for traffic from a publisher (in your case, the video creator) to drive downloads of the software. Performance advertisers typically want to pay only for results. Ideally, that advertiser would want a CPA model (cost per action); meaning they pay the publisher only for each download as this model has no risk for the advertiser. CPA models, for the obvious reasons, have fallen out of favor; publishers should not agree to CPA models. The next best thing for an advertiser is a CPC model (cost per click); meaning they pay the publisher for every time a user clicks on the link that brings them to the advertiser's site. The financial risk is shared. This is the most popular model for performance advertisers.

You are describing a sponsorship model where a flat fee is paid for the advertisement where the fee itself is not dependent upon traffic, clicks or downloads. Sponsorship models are good; however, they are typically utilized by advertisers who are simply looking to promote or create brand awareness. Another 'brand' model is CPM (cost per impression) meaning the advertiser pays the publisher for the number of times the ad is displayed; which is based on traffic of the publisher. Car dealers and beer companies are more likely to utilize brand advertising while game/app developers are more likely to utilize performance advertising.

Why go into all this detail? If you are going to speak with possible advertisers, they will most likely suggest a CPA or CPC model. Since you would have no way of independently verifying downloads and I'm guessing you have no way of tracking clicks on the link in your video description it's probably best to avoid CPA/CPC models. Sponsorship model would be a good way to go.

As for what is a fair weekly rate; that is really determined by the open market. Good advertisers know how much they are willing to pay for traffic, how much they are willing to pay per conversion; etc. The amount of money a publisher can command depends on the quality of the publisher. Professional publishers know a lot about their website stats; daily/weekly/monthly traffic, unique visitors, click-through rates, avg browsing time per visit, number of pages viewed, etc. The better your stats, the higher prices you can command. You should be prepared to tell potential advertisers how many unique visitors you have; how much weekly traffic you have. Knowing that internet advertising click-through rates are in the 0.25 - 1.75% range; you will need to have a ton of traffic to generate interest from a serious advertiser.

I realize I didn't specifically answer all of your questions but hopefully I have provided some good background information to help you. Full disclosure, I have never entered into any such advertising deals.

TCOTY Entry: The Perks of Being TCOTY
ToY Entry: Secrets of the Lost Tomb
Please visit me on the YouTubes!
Care to follow me on the Twitter?

Let's assume the advertiser is not happy with any of these models. In his mind, he is thinking, okay, say I pay a set amount to promote the software via a specific video he had in mind and that is the only advertising channel. And then views that the video brought in resulted in a sale of the software.

The sale of that software is potentially enough revenue for him to re-invest the funds for say another 2 weeks of advertising because he would like to see if that would bring him sale of 2 copies of the software.

How would you imagine this could work?

I would like to give a scenario of his objectives of the unique visits but maybe a bit later.

Still loading....

You're describing a sponsorship model - which is a very simple model. As for how could it work, I think you basically described it. You and the advertiser come to an agreement about all the specifics; identify the video, agree on the language of the advertising language (copy) and link, position of the link in the video description, price of the sponsorship, notice period and methodology of renewal of the sponsorship, etc. Arrange for payment and deliver the ad.

I was just a bit surprised to learn that the sponsorship model was perceived as a good way to create brand visibility. I would imagine there would be some advertisers who have actual sales as a primary objective followed by a secondary objective of traffic that is less important.

Another one of my concern is expectations that may be very hard to manage. I'd imagine if the parties involved in the arrangement are not happy with each other, the internet would blow up, seeing that both of them may already have pretty substantial fan bases.

Still loading....

Brand advertising is different from performance advertising. If someone is looking to drive downloads, that's performance; thus they would be looking for a CPA/CPC deal.

Regarding expectations; if everyone is professional and if relevant stats are presented up front, the internet should not 'blow up'. Smart advertisers will know what information to ask for about the publisher. Smart publishers should be up-front and truthful about their traffic stats. If a publisher does not have the best stats, relevance is just as important. If the publisher produces content that is relevant to the advertised product, that can make up for lower traffic numbers.

Good luck

I've seen very popular videos who have paid advertising links in their description. They're often for unrelated, scammy, virus-laden stuff.

I would do it if it was something interesting and relevant to the video, but I'd rather not be complicit in the distribution of malware.

https://i.imgur.com/1JxY79v.png

Despite all the posts and comments would you really want to rely on youtube as a source of income? Also its not a very good payment especially if you don't have many views.

Moderator notice: This account was created by banned former member Generalned using a proxy server.]
When you want to succeed as much as you want to breathe.. You will be successful.

Actually I have this bro who would beg to disagree with your commentary, rogue.