Topic: 2013 AFC and NFC Championship Games, OYOed!

Directory Link

2013 AFC and NFC Championship Games, OYOed!

2013 AFC and NFC Championship Games, OYOed!

We made this for OYO and SI Kids.  Hope you enjoy! 

Re: 2013 AFC and NFC Championship Games, OYOed!

I think it was the first play you had, it looked like a few frames disappeared so it looked like a jump cut of a tackle. The panning to the side in the beginning really hurt my eyes due to the rolling shutter. Probs just me. The flying football really took me out of it too. It just didn't seem realistic or even fit. It just didn't move naturally.

I also noticed that a lot of the time at the end of each shot you would have the footage loop an individual frame and just digital pan. Along with the camera movement the minifigures would stop dead in their tracks as soon as the play was either over or they were no longer needed. I would've at least slowed them down first. Why not have it pan legitimately while having the minifigure/minifigures moving still?

2/5

A Life? Cool! Where can I download one of those from?

CarrollFilms wrote:

I think it was the first play you had, it looked like a few frames disappeared so it looked like a jump cut of a tackle. The panning to the side in the beginning really hurt my eyes due to the rolling shutter. Probs just me. The flying football really took me out of it too. It just didn't seem realistic or even fit. It just didn't move naturally.

I also noticed that a lot of the time at the end of each shot you would have the footage loop an individual frame and just digital pan. Along with the camera movement the minifigures would stop dead in their tracks as soon as the play was either over or they were no longer needed. I would've at least slowed them down first. Why not have it pan legitimately while having the minifigure/minifigures moving still?

2/5

Thank you for taking the time to critic our brickfilm.  It was a bit more harsh than I feel warranted and the 2/5 rating is in my opinion off base.  I hope you rate your friends brickfilms as critically.  Perhaps you don't like thefourmonkeys or non-Lego products used in brickfilming - no biggie.   Although our brickfilm is not perfect, we were quite pleased with the results and so were the other producers involved in the project.

We were very happy with pans we did in the film especially the beginning of the Seattle running play which was a pan and dolly combination using our modified Bricktripod.  We did some of the camera movements by moving the camera every frame, some were done in post, and some used both techniques.

I hated this... naw just kiddin'. It's just that I'm a Patriots fan mini/sad

KingLemuel wrote:

I hated this... naw just kiddin'. It's just that I'm a Patriots fan mini/sad

Mommy Monkey is a Patriots fan too.  She was sad.  mini/sad

I have no idea what's going on...  I really don't understand American Football

Anyway, I do feel that the ball (or whatever it's called) did move a bit unrealistic for my liking.  But otherwise the animation was solid and although I agree with CarrollFilms,

CarrollFilms wrote:

the minifigures would stop dead in their tracks as soon as the play was either over or they were no longer needed.

I feel that to animate all those minifigs must be difficult and time consuming.

StefanMuscat

Have a nice day! mini/smile

YouTube

StefanMuscat wrote:

Anyway, I do feel that the ball (or whatever it's called) did move a bit unrealistic for my liking.  But otherwise the animation was solid and although I agree with CarrollFilms,

CarrollFilms wrote:

the minifigures would stop dead in their tracks as soon as the play was either over or they were no longer needed.

StefanMuscat

I am fine with most of what CarrolFilms comments (they were constructive criticism), but I feel the 2/5 rating was a bit low for the quality of the film.  Animating up to 18 or more minifigures per frame is difficult and time consuming.  Plus we had a deadline for making the video. 

And.....American Football is hard to understand if you didn't grow up watching it, but I would be lost if you made a Cricket animation. mini/smile

StefanMuscat wrote:

CarrollFilms wrote:

StefanMuscat

You're in the wrong hobby my friend

@thefourmonkeys, giving criticism is key to making better videos. You can't expect somebody to say, "WOW, that was amazing!" There is always going to be some sort of flaw or something that can be better in a video.

Last edited by CarrollFilms (February 2, 2014 (10:42pm))

CarrollFilms wrote:
StefanMuscat wrote:

CarrollFilms wrote:

StefanMuscat

What do you mean ?

YouTube

You defend an animation by saying some things are too difficult and too time consuming to achieve - when animation is inherently a time consuming and somewhat difficult activity. See the contradiction?

CarrollFilms wrote:
StefanMuscat wrote:

CarrollFilms wrote:

StefanMuscat

@thefourmonkeys, giving criticism is key to making better videos. You can't expect somebody to say, "WOW, that was amazing!" There is always going to be some sort of flaw or something that can be better in a video.

I agree Carroll. I take negative criticism all the time but as it's always very cordial on this site, I don't take it to heart. Criticism helps you learn, and become better, which is certainly why I'm here. That and the random outburst of scribble-cop trolling.

It shall return, my friends. Oh yes, it shall return.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/ZoefDeHaas/stuff/sig1.png
"Nothing goes down 'less I'm involved. No nuggets. No onion rings. No nothin'. A cheeseburger gets sold in the park, I want in! You got fat while we starved on the streets...now it's my turn!" -Harley Morenstein

Carousel wrote:

You defend an animation by saying some things are too difficult and too time consuming to achieve - when animation is inherently a time consuming and somewhat difficult activity. See the contradiction?

couldn't have said it any better

As an avid American football fan, I have to say that I enjoyed this. I liked the camera movements and the animation was fast paced like the sport itself. The stoppage at the end of the plays were a bit annoying (The background characters didn't move) and Sherman's deflection was pretty unconvincing, but other than that it was satisfying. Definitely the best football animation I've seen in LEGO.

3.5/5

http://tinyurl.com/krwj4ek
http://tinyurl.com/kvxr6umhttp://tinyurl.com/kxofj4mhttp://tinyurl.com/k5fw3syhttp://tinyurl.com/m4rv8tf

Carousel wrote:

Oohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...

Man, I feel so stupid... mini/eh

You're quite right.

YouTube

Carousel wrote:

I did not say "too difficult" and "too time consuming".  I said animating that many minifigues was difficult and time consuming and we had a deadline.  Sure, it might have been a little bit better if I spent 72 hours on the project instead of 30 (over the course of 1 weekend).  I actually had a lot of fun animating the video because it was a challenge.  I learn from every project that I do, and that's why I bother to submit films here as I might have the opportunity to learn from constructive criticism.  I do feel like I have a right to criticize ones low rating of films that I make or someone else makes if it is wrong in my opinion. 

I am absolutely in the right hobby.  Why? Because I love to animate and make brickfilms.