Topic: Top Seasons/Series from the past decade?

What are the top seasons/Series of the decade that you guys would recommend? I've watched Game of Thrones, Boardwalk empire, lost and a few more small seasons what else is out there that's well worth the watch?

I don't mind really what genre as long as its appealing and has good story I do love films with good lore and history medieval and mafia being a favorite but open to anything.

-Rogue

Moderator notice: This account was created by banned former member Generalned using a proxy server.]
When you want to succeed as much as you want to breathe.. You will be successful.

Re: Top Seasons/Series from the past decade?

Fringe, Person of Interest, Chuck, Battlestar Galactica

https://i.imgur.com/4b9NnS3.pnghttps://i.imgur.com/GUIl0qk.pnghttps://i.imgur.com/ox64uld.pnghttps://i.imgur.com/v3iyhE5.png

Breaking Bad

Darn, Buffy's literally just beyond a decade old.

Of what I've seen, I'm going to say either Sherlock or Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., because they're probably the series I've enjoyed the most which I also think are the best written (though they do have a few dodgy moments).

Bear in mind I've never seen Breaking Bad, Game of Thrones, The Sopranos, Lost, Heroes, Fringe, Elementary, or...well, most TV shows. I'm very limited in what I can and can't watch.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/ZoefDeHaas/stuff/sig1.png
"Nothing goes down 'less I'm involved. No nuggets. No onion rings. No nothin'. A cheeseburger gets sold in the park, I want in! You got fat while we starved on the streets...now it's my turn!" -Harley Morenstein

Great choices of series! I did forget to mention I have seen the sopranos and game of thrones Jampot if you are allowed I would very recommend it! Lost isn't bad in anyway I think it would suffice.

I was interested in learning more about the series of Sherlock I'll look into it.

I will check out more on these series, I do have one question tho I should have asked earlier is there any series that revolve on just one character throughout the season/series? I am looking for more of a story that we follow of one main character he may have a support person but not including doctor who. Would really like to know if anyone knows.

-Rogue

Moderator notice: This account was created by banned former member Generalned using a proxy server.]
When you want to succeed as much as you want to breathe.. You will be successful.

Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

It's my favourite TV show. I even did my A level Film Studies research project on it. Though buffy has lots of friends who aid her on her quest to avoid the apocalypse, it is always ultimately Buffy that has to do the dirty work. She's actually bound by fate to be the hero.

"Nothing goes down 'less I'm involved. No nuggets. No onion rings. No nothin'. A cheeseburger gets sold in the park, I want in! You got fat while we starved on the streets...now it's my turn!" -Harley Morenstein

I have seen a few buffy shows not many but just a few here and there, I wanted to ask tho is there any were the main character isn't a women tho?

I don't mind if there is people helping the character along the way but just where he is the main focus of the story.

-Rogue

Why not a woman?

Just kidding. I'll let you know if I think of something.

haha thank brother mini/lol , its just more realistic in my opinion but I appreciate it man.

-Rogue

The Walking Dead, Sherlock, Game of Thrones.

rogue wrote:

haha thank brother mini/lol , its just more realistic in my opinion but I appreciate it man.

How so? I don't see why you can't have a female protagonist, especially today.

Thinking about it, a good series with a single strong hero would be Sherlock. I know we've already mentioned it a few times, but the series revolves around Sherlock's detective skills. He carries the show.

Also, Avatar: The Last Airbender, Pokemon, X-Files, Smallville and even How I Met Your Mother (Ted is clearly the focus for the show, which I personally think is hilarious).

You can probably tell I have eclectic tastes.

Ha ha I do see your eclectic tastes for sure mini/lol

Well, for two reasons in reality are women really able to take on werewolves and kill great warriors? (Not being sexist)

Obviously in this day and age this has changed but I do like to be realistic in these moments.

And I think to myself is that troll she just killed really that weak or does she have superhuman strength as to when you see a knight who just knocks the troll stone cold and kills it in a hit.
See the difference? The impact of women and male are very different and vary according.

However I am not saying there can't be female protagonist I mean theirs xena for an example unfortunately tho it didn't do very well.

And also for the fact when I do create films my main character is always a male.

I will check out Sherlock, however I am avoiding cartoons at this time and comedy even though how I met you your mother is hilarious and ted.. is one of a kind.

It's just I am trying to absorb ideas for different series/seasons.

Walking dead doesn't revolve on one character tho? Does it?

-Rogue

rogue wrote:

Well, for two reasons in reality are women really able to take on werewolves and kill great warriors? (Not being sexist)

That's extremely sexist. Anyone of any gender has an equal chance at those things based on their level of training. Obviously, a weak woman couldn't take on a werewolf, but neither could a weak man.

We all see the world through socially conditioned eyes; for centuries, men have been seen as the stronger gender, but that's because those stories and legends came from patriarchal societies. If you were going to be 'realistic', you shouldn't write strong women off as weak.

Sorry to rant a bit but this is a subject I feel very strongly about. Often, female protagonists are more developed and better written: Buffy, Xena, Wonder Woman, Soranik Natu (a female Green Lantern), Lois Lane...that's just a few. I really do think that you're being a bit sexist here.

BTW I'm not trying to force you into having a female protagonist (after all, each to his/her own) but I just want to stress that men and women should be equal, and we live in a society where (at least in many countries) they almost are. Almost.

Jampot your exactly right brother and I won't argue with you on that, I believe I may have been a little sexist obviously the way I saw things was the man and women are equal but the men would do the battles and the women look after their men, but of course this may not be the initial case and I really don't know of a female green latern that's quite interesting or many female protagonists one could be Tomb Raider which was a great film might I add, but that's all I know of to tell you the truth.

-Rogue

Sorry if I came on a bit strong there...

You didn't at all brother don't even worry about it.

Your point was truthful and honest and that's what counts.

-Rogue

Umm, no offence, but I do think you are being rather sexist here.  For a start, can you categorically prove it would be impossible for a woman to fight a werewolf?  Seriously, though, how is having a female protagonist "unrealistic", exactly?  Given that 51% of the world's population is female, it's not exactly unthinkable that a woman would be a protagonist in a TV show.

I do think that men naturally have a slight advantage in terms of physical strength (which is why you don't see many women who are, say, SAS or Special Forces) but it's not so extreme that it would be unrealistic to see a female character fighting a werewolf, and a woman who has received combat training is going to be a lot stronger than a man who hasn't, in any case.  A character, whether male or female, doesn't even have to be physically strong or especially smart to fight monsters to begin with (Pan's Labyrinth, in which the main character is an 11-year old girl, is an excellent example of this).  And any point about male/female physical strength is moot when discussing superheroes since they have superhuman abilities to begin with.

I'm not trying to be rude here, but pigeon-holing all female characters as "weak" really isn't a good idea, and if you plan on making films, your writing will suffer because of it.  So please, please, reconsider what you're saying here.

Anyway... as far as TV shows go, most have already been listed here, but I'd recommend Person of Interest, Breaking Bad (although it's horrifically violent in places, especially the first few episodes), Sherlock, and Doctor Who.  I've only seen the pilot of Fringe, but from what I can tell it looks like a great show and I'm planning to watch it this summer.  Also Nikita and Alias, even if the latter is over 10 years old.  (Although you probably wouldn't like the last two since they have female protagonists... mini/rolleyes )

Retribution (3rd place in BRAWL 2015)

&Smeagol      make the most of being surrounded by single, educated women your own age on a regular basis in college
AquaMorph    I dunno women are expensive

I'm on a bit of a Whedon high, so I'll suggest Dollhouse too.

rogue wrote:

in reality are women really able to take on werewolves? (Not being sexist)

It's absolutely unrealistic, and you're absolutely right,
because werewolves don't exist.

But saying that no woman would be able to maintain herself well in a fight against something really tough but that they're not being against them is kinda like someone saying that a member of a certain race could never take down a great warrior but that they weren't at all being racist.

Now, most people aren't capable fighters regardless of gender.  Without a sword I'm pretty useless, but decent enough with one.  But someone can be either strong or weak regardless of gender.
I once stepped on the train of a woman's very long dress by accident and apologized, after which she punched me in the stomach harder than I have ever been punched before or since by a man (had I not apologized, though, she would not even have been cognizant of my misstep, and I would have avoided that unfortunate blow).

And even if it were true that any woman cannot fight well enough to survive as a man can, then it wouldn't really be a problem as there are already ridiculously unrealistic elements in television shows such as time travel, magic, and all sorts of other crazy stuff.

For TV shows, I'd also recommend Fringe and Person of Interest.  Avatar the Last Airbender is also very good, as are My Little Pony, Gravity Falls, Once Upon a Time, and Death Note.

Last edited by Squid (March 15, 2014 (07:05am))

Ha ha mini/lol  I just saw the trailer and in all seriousness this could be something I may watch, firstly it looks rather interesting and for the fact it has faith in it from Buffy as the female protagonist thanks I'll check it out when I get a chance, in the meantime if you or anyone else find series based on the one character throughout the season let me know.

EDIT: Extended post
Sorry guys for I had not noticed your comments, firstly and foremost FlyingMinifig and Squid I understand exactly what you guy's are pointing out and no flyingminifig I cannot categorically prove it would be impossible for a girl to fight a werewolf as squid pointed out however I had said it would be unrealistic not impossible but I do agree that I was being sexist and for this I will avoid this in future posts and would like to apologize to whoever I may have offended this was clearly for my point of view and more for what I was after than trying to prove a point against genders which was not my intention.

If my writing had to do with a Male protagonists then there would be no suffering as there would be no sexist remarks.

Thank you for the TV shows FlyingMinifig and Squid I will also check out Nikita and Alias just for you mini/bigsmile  also if you didn't notice Jampot's suggestion had a female protagonist which I was very interested in seeing mini/wink

But in all honestly I appreciate what you guys have said, and understand the full gratitude of what was said and what could have been avoided also thank you for your movie suggestions however guys I am trying to avoid cartoon series and shows were possible (even tho my little pony is EPIC) mini/lol

I will check the rest out however thank you, any other suggestions are all welcome even if it's older than the 10 year mark if it's something you feel worth mentioning please do.

-Rogue

Last edited by rogue (March 15, 2014 (07:19am))