Re: Top Seasons/Series from the past decade?

Max Butcher wrote:
Sméagol wrote:

Sorry, I don't mean to be that guy who criticizes peoples' taste in media all the time. It's not very classy.

LEAVE THAT TO ME! *Dons cape and flies out of window whilst people say "Its a bird! Its a plane! Its That Guy!"*

OK, now you officially have to make a brickfilm about a superhero named "That Guy" whose power is being judgemental about other people's taste in cinema.

Retribution (3rd place in BRAWL 2015)

&Smeagol      make the most of being surrounded by single, educated women your own age on a regular basis in college
AquaMorph    I dunno women are expensive

FlyingMinifig wrote:
Max Butcher wrote:
Sméagol wrote:

Sorry, I don't mean to be that guy who criticizes peoples' taste in media all the time. It's not very classy.

LEAVE THAT TO ME! *Dons cape and flies out of window whilst people say "Its a bird! Its a plane! Its That Guy!"*

OK, now you officially have to make a brickfilm about a superhero named "That Guy" whose power is being judgemental about other people's taste in cinema.

I second that.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/ZoefDeHaas/stuff/sig1.png
"Nothing goes down 'less I'm involved. No nuggets. No onion rings. No nothin'. A cheeseburger gets sold in the park, I want in! You got fat while we starved on the streets...now it's my turn!" -Harley Morenstein

FlyingMinifig wrote:
Max Butcher wrote:
Sméagol wrote:

So...is it a doctumentary?

Fringe.

Antonio Ferrara wrote:

Fringe.

Does this make me a troll?

http://dearclark.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/reese-witherspoon-bangs.jpg

"Nothing goes down 'less I'm involved. No nuggets. No onion rings. No nothin'. A cheeseburger gets sold in the park, I want in! You got fat while we starved on the streets...now it's my turn!" -Harley Morenstein

Carousel wrote:

Mad Men is quite good.

Mad Men is extremely over-rated in my opinion.

I like Mad Man mainly for the retro look.  I still think it's a good series otherwise, until they got to season 5, which like Star Trek 5, or the Godfather 3, fans of each respective series likes to pretend doesn't exist.  To me the definition of overrated is Breaking Bad/Sopranos.

I have always decided to stand clear of Fringe, and maybe it's a good series, but the fact that when Fox began to air it, they promoted it as "By the writers of "Transformers" (The michael Bay movie).  That they would promote that Fringe's writers wrote something so bad was enough for me to avoid it.

When I made my list of favorites, I forgot my other guilty pleasure (besides Big Bang Theory), and that's "Mystery Diners".  I am at my DVD recorder whenever it's on.

I also noticed that ABC is becoming the go to place for sitcoms these days.  Especially with the arrival of "The Goldbergs". Unrelated, they are big on the sitcom trend where the laugh track, live or canned, is absent.

Last edited by HoldingOurOwn (March 16, 2014 (08:20am))

https://vimeo.com/channels/holdingourown      http://holding-our-own.tumblr.com

"None practice tolerance less frequently than those who most loudly preach it."

Chris W. wrote:
FlyingMinifig wrote:
Max Butcher wrote:

So...is it a doctumentary?

TO THE SCRIPT OFFICE!

"By day, he is Max Butcher: mild-mannered closet serial killer and occasional feminist. By afternoon-tea, he is....THAT GUY!"

"What's that? Another person saying 'Avatar' is the greatest movie ever made?' THIS LOOKS LIKE A JOB FOR 'THAT GUY'!" *theme tune*

(You will all recieve a 'Special Thanks' credit BTW)

YouTube
Max, She/They

At least one Twilight reference must be made.

FlyingMinifig wrote:

Mad Men is extremely over-rated in my opinion.

Wow I didn't realise that a well written, well directed and well crafted, atmospheric show sporting good plots/characters whom possess emotional and complex backgrounds constitutes 'overrated'?

HoldingOurOwn wrote:

I like Mad Man mainly for the retro look. I still think it's a good series otherwise, until they got to season 5, which like Star Trek 5, or the Godfather 3, fans of each respective series likes to pretend doesn't exist.  To me the definition of overrated is Breaking Bad/Sopranos.

If you call Breaking Bad overrated, I'm sorry, but I really cannot appreciate or value your opinions of the television landscape. Breaking Bad was planned and written with such precision, detail and talent, that it remained a constant of brilliance, captivation and meaningfulness throughout the entirety of its 5 seasons. The showwriters created unique, multifaceted, highly relatable and empathetic characters that carried the show brilliantly and left you highly engaged. The acting, plots and scripting, camera work, message, everything, combined to form what I would deem as the golden standard of modern television. So please go ahead and clarify how Breaking Bad is 'overrated'.

I have to agree with Carousel, Breaking Bad is an excellent show (as it happens, I just finished watching the finale of the show today).  It's not a pleasant show, but it's not supposed to be.  The writing is brilliant and tightly focused, and the actors are perfectly cast and are incredibly believable.  I really like how pretty much every character is morally ambiguous and has a nasty side to them (there is no protagonist to "root for", really, with perhaps the exception of Jesse Pinkman) and how they often turn out to be the opposite of what they initially appear.  Despite being very grey-on-grey morality-wise it still manages to be compelling.  The cinematography is really beautiful as well, I especially enjoy the unusual camera angles and perspectives.  The world feels gritty and brutally realistic, yet at the same time somewhat surreal and stylised.

In fact, Breaking Bad is almost like a Shakespearean tragedy (or what a "Shakespearean tragedy" is apparently supposed to be, since I've gotten more out of a single episode of Breaking Bad than out of all the Shakespeare plays I've ever watched/studied put together).  Coming to think of it, it's actually like a modern version of Macbeth, but with drug kingpins, hydrofluoric acid, and intelligible dialogue instead of actual kings, witches and outdated language that makes my brain melt when I try to make sense of it. 

I did watch the first few episodes of Mad Men, but honestly, it just didn't grip me.  I just got the impression it's basically about a bunch of misogynistic men who pull random advertising slogans out of thin air (and are called "geniuses" for it), chain-smoke, and cheat on their wives.  There's nothing really compelling to me about that.

&Smeagol      make the most of being surrounded by single, educated women your own age on a regular basis in college

Max Butcher wrote:

TO THE SCRIPT OFFICE!

"By day, he is Max Butcher: mild-mannered closet serial killer and occasional feminist. By afternoon-tea, he is....THAT GUY!"

"What's that? Another person saying 'Avatar' is the greatest movie ever made?' THIS LOOKS LIKE A JOB FOR 'THAT GUY'!" *theme tune*

(You will all recieve a 'Special Thanks' credit BTW)

I'm happy that I inspired you.  I've never gotten a "Special Thanks" credit before, I feel flattered. mini/cat mini/XD

Then again, the said "special thanks" comes from a self-professed closet serial killer... mini/shifty (oh well, nobody's perfect...)  Speaking of which, "serial killer" and "superhero" seem to be an odd combination of traits.

EDIT: Sorry about the double post. mini/frustrated

Last edited by Mr Vertigo (March 16, 2014 (03:47pm))

Breaking Bad is amazing.

Sméagol wrote:

In fairness, I probably only reserve such judgment for Duck Dynasty and The Big Bang Theory.

Oh come on. Really Smeagol?
Don't tell me you're one of those Big Bang Theory bashers. mini/wink

"Tell stories that matter to you, not stories that'll sell." - Stephen Tobolowsky

YouTube/Twitter/SG

Part of my beef with BBT is that it substitutes mere references for actual humor. Having a character mention Star Wars should not qualify as a punchline, but it does in that show. It's very lazy. As a result, it's just condescending and demeaning toward the demographic it's supposed to be about, without making the effort to offer any insight. Laughing at, not with. The characters are so extreme that some people in the demographic don't see it as a mockery of themselves and enjoy it anyway, I guess. The show conflates all kinds of geeks into one super-nerd type that has no basis in reality. I think some basis in reality is necessary in order to create comedy that is meaningful and relevant in some way.

It's like the nerd equivalent of a minstrel show or something like Amos and Andy, which, while incredibly racist, was popular with a segment of African American audiences. Obviously, racism is much worse than making fun of nerds, which is at worst a small-scale bullying type issue, so I wouldn't hold the same level of scorn for BBT as for something that is racist. Nerds have not been oppressed for hundreds of years, so it's less of a moral/ethical issue than Amos and Andy. Still, the comedic approach of stereotyping and belittling a group of people under the guise of good-natured ribbing is the same. I don't think that it is harmless fun. Whether it's a racism/sexism issue in the vein of shows like Dads or Family Guy (or nearly everything else Seth McFarlane has ever made), or milder forms like Big Bang Theory and Duck Dynasty, which belittle groups of people within American culture while managing to be popular among those groups, I am pretty uncomfortable with the pattern in the film and television industry of celebrating this sort of humor. I think it is a negative force in society.

Alright, I'll step off of my soapbox now.

http://i.imgur.com/wcmcdmf.png

Breaking Bad, Regular Show, Adventure Time, Dexter's Laboratory, Samurai Jack, Star Wars: Clone Wars, Star Wars: The Clone Wars, Sym-Bionic Titan, Firefly, Legend of Korra, Sherlock, Arrested Development , and saving the best for the last is the Cosmos: A Spacetime Odyssey.

By the way I agree with Sméagol on Duck Dynasty, but not really Big Bang Theory. I hate the live-action Disney channel show move than Duck Dynasty.

I'm also Bappy on Discord for those wondering.

Breaking Bad is an amazing show. I also like The Walking Dead.

I like stuff like Adventure Time, Sherlock, etc; the stuff that steps away from the normal blandness of television to present something entertaining. If it's popular with the average American I probably don't like it. Hence I'm not going to list all the shows I do like because it's pretty much repeating whats already been said. Needless to say most of the shows I like don't run anymore.

LOST is my all time favorite show. Both the story and the characters were phenomenal. I became so attached to the show, the series finale was an emotional roller-coaster for me.

I have also enjoyed Breaking Bad, and am currently watching Sherlock, as the the show is not concluded yet.

Last edited by Willow Tree (March 25, 2014 (12:02pm))

The Wire, Breaking Bad, and LOST. But the best of these is The Wire.

http://i.imgur.com/wcmcdmf.png

backyardlegos wrote:

If it's popular with the average American I probably don't like it.

In conclusion, your basically a hipster.

Sméagol wrote:

Part of my beef with BBT is that it substitutes mere references for actual humor. Having a character mention Star Wars should not qualify as a punchline, but it does in that show. It's very lazy. As a result, it's just condescending and demeaning toward the demographic it's supposed to be about, without making the effort to offer any insight. Laughing at, not with. The characters are so extreme that some people in the demographic don't see it as a mockery of themselves and enjoy it anyway, I guess. The show conflates all kinds of geeks into one super-nerd type that has no basis in reality. I think some basis in reality is necessary in order to create comedy that is meaningful and relevant in some way.
It's like the nerd equivalent of a minstrel show or something like Amos and Andy, which, while incredibly racist, was popular with a segment of African American audiences. Obviously, racism is much worse than making fun of nerds, which is at worst a small-scale bullying type issue, so I wouldn't hold the same level of scorn for BBT as for something that is racist. Nerds have not been oppressed for hundreds of years, so it's less of a moral/ethical issue than Amos and Andy. Still, the comedic approach of stereotyping and belittling a group of people under the guise of good-natured ribbing is the same. I don't think that it is harmless fun. Whether it's a racism/sexism issue in the vein of shows like Dads or Family Guy (or nearly everything else Seth McFarlane has ever made), or milder forms like Big Bang Theory and Duck Dynasty, which belittle groups of people within American culture while managing to be popular among those groups, I am pretty uncomfortable with the pattern in the film and television industry of celebrating this sort of humor. I think it is a negative force in society.
Alright, I'll step off of my soapbox now.

I understand, but don't fully agree with your point of view. While BBT can often be lazy with its screenplay, I'd still say that the dialogue is more credible than most other shows. The characters are indeed unrealistically nerdy, but that's what makes the show comedic in my opinion.

I do have a strong dislike of Duck Dynasty, however. It just seems like every other reality show to me.

http://tinyurl.com/krwj4ek
http://tinyurl.com/kvxr6umhttp://tinyurl.com/kxofj4mhttp://tinyurl.com/k5fw3syhttp://tinyurl.com/m4rv8tf