Re: What was the last movie you watched?

While the discussion is healthy, this thread topic has got massively sidetracked. I think that soon we should call it a day and get back on track. Perhaps a new thread could be made?

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/ZoefDeHaas/stuff/sig1.png
"Nothing goes down 'less I'm involved. No nuggets. No onion rings. No nothin'. A cheeseburger gets sold in the park, I want in! You got fat while we starved on the streets...now it's my turn!" -Harley Morenstein

Nathan Wells wrote:
Dyland wrote:

I'd like to see a film about a serial killer where no murders are shown - outside of a documentary, that is. As far as I know, it's never been seriously done

Se7en.

Y'sure about that, buddy.

YouTube | Twitter 

http://i1106.photobucket.com/albums/h364/sfugity/bimTMIRABbanner_zps0970ba17.png
Currently going for the "Most Inactive" BiM award.

Tobias wrote:
Nathan Wells wrote:
Dyland wrote:

I'd like to see a film about a serial killer where no murders are shown - outside of a documentary, that is. As far as I know, it's never been seriously done

Se7en.

Y'sure about that, buddy.

He is!

Nathan Wells wrote:

No actual murder by the serial killer is ever seen taking place during the entire run of the film; only the aftermath.

It fits the narrow criteria set forth.

-Sméagol, part of a cabal of people who discussed this all in chat rather thoroughly for some reason

http://i.imgur.com/wcmcdmf.png

Dyland wrote:

Youtube on the other hand... watch out!

I was introduced to YouTube when I was six. Sue me.

Hailing from a Christian upbringing myself, I was taught not to swear. I usually learned what a curse word meant after hearing it on TV and repeating it unknowingly, or hearing it at school. Seeing as I'm now in high school, and having gone through ten years of grade school--including Pre-K--I've just accepted it. I don't swear myself, although I admit that I do cut it close at times with G-rated swears like "flipping". But, I just accept it.

I got defensive of swearing two pages ago because, even if the swearing in a movie might feel out of place, moviegoers should be warned by the MPAA ratings attached to trailers, posters, and film-related websites, something Funmi brought up earlier. I'm sorry, Dyland. And, seeing as I am the one who began this two-page-long sub-thread, I didn't mean to offend or annoy anyone or prolong an unnecessary topic that has been discussed and dropped multiple times before.

Have you seen a big-chinned boy?

Captain America: The Winter Solider

Perhaps the best super hero film I have seen, maybe even better than the Avengers!!!!!! I know I already talked about this film here, but I really only talked about the mid-credits scene then. So here it is!!!!!!!

Spoiler (click to read)

When I first saw this film I didn't know what I was about to see, and afterwards I was still wondering what I had just seen. But now I understand the plot better after a second viewing. Multiple references to the other heroes made this film feel like it was in the same world as the others. Cap. was as true as always in this film, now trying to deal with the fact that the world is a lot different than it was in WW2. And the fact that Bucky was the major threat in this film gave it the Darth Vader vs Luke Skywalker edge. Ad what really helps this film is that it is building off the whole film franchise that has come before it. 

Over all this film gets a 5 out of 5 from me. GO SEE THIS!!!!!!

The Secret Life of Walter Mitty (with Danny Kay)

You will laugh more in the first 10 minutes of this film than you did through the entirety of the Ben Stiller version.

9/10

Last edited by Brickelodeon (September 16, 2014 (06:36pm))

The guy who got banned more times than DiCaprio said "f***" in The Wolf Of Wall Street.

Not a movie, but there's no "what was the last TV show you watched" thread.

EDIT: moved to a fancy new topic! for discussing TV shows.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/ZoefDeHaas/stuff/sig1.png
"Nothing goes down 'less I'm involved. No nuggets. No onion rings. No nothin'. A cheeseburger gets sold in the park, I want in! You got fat while we starved on the streets...now it's my turn!" -Harley Morenstein

Ann if Green Gables

My sister brought this home and I decided to watch it with her. Even though I have seen it several times it never gets old; such a good classic.

10/10

GEF wrote:

Ann if Green Gables

My sister brought this home and I decided to watch it with her. Even though I have seen it several times it never gets old; such a good classic.

10/10

Ditto. It's an even better book. Also Anne is spelled with an "e". Because Anne without an "e" would be absolutely dreadful mini/smile

In celebration of my birthday I went and saw Box Trolls with a few of my close friends, it was delightful! One friend remarked that's he didn't know people still made good kids movies, everyone should watch it. By the way the trailers are pritty awful  but the teasers are great.

I still want to go see it, despite its poor marketing and bad reviews. I can never really turn Laika's films down. I always enjoy seeing people still making stop-motion-animated theatrical features. Also, happy birthday, Sloth!

Cool Runnings (1993)

This was John Candy's last released film prior to his death.

With a hilarious cast of characters, a fun and inspring underdog story, and an uplifting reggae soundtrack, Cool Runnings is a great addition to the filmography of pre-National Treasure fame Jon Turtletaub.

9.5/10

Have you seen a big-chinned boy?

The Incredible Hulk (2008)

Seriously underrate IMO, certainly not the best in MCU, but still a good watch.  Wanna see Abomination return at some point.

3/5

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2889/8957456571_f23867aeec_o.jpg
PITCH Part 1 Out Now!
Part 2 Coming Soon

The Conversation

Everyone harps on about the excellent sound-design and...yeah, it's incredible. I had the privalege of seeing this during a free screening, and thus experienced this with a very large and very loud soundsystem. It sounded amazing.

The film itself? Yeah, it's pretty good.

Requiem For A Dream

....jesus.

I'm gradually creating a list of 'Greatest Movies That I Never Want To See Again.' The Cook, the Thief, His Wife & Her Lover, Shoah, and everything Lars Von Trier has ever made are currently up there. These are films that are dramatically powerful, artistically innovative, challenging, and harrowing. They are films that I'm very glad to have experienced, and have emerged from the experience a better person, but would never want to watch again.

Yeah, this film is up there. Bloody hell....

Batman: The Movie

It will never get old. It will never stop being one of the funniest movies ever.

And yes, I've heard about them FINALLY releasing the whole TV series on Blu-Ray. Yes, I'm as excited as a little girl.

Midnight in Paris

OK, the idea that if you walk into Paris in the 1920's you'll immediately stumble across F. Scott Fitzgerald, Ernest Hemmingway, and Salvador Dahli in the same place is kinda dumb...but it's implied that this is all in the guys head, so whatever.

I remember liking this when it first came out, but I don't remember liking this as much as I do right now. Easily Woody Allen's best work since Manhattan.

YouTube
Max, She/They

Just saw The Boxtrolls. I loved it. The animation was amazing, I just sat there thinking about how much I wanted to go home and start animating something, anything, just to practice. There are little things that the lay viewer would never notice, such as the animation of the boxes which the trolls are wearing, it's pretty incredible. Something interesting I noticed was that the mouth animations were at 12 fps, while body movement etc. was at 24 fps. The only critique I have is that the plot was a bit cliche, and the message of the film was very obvious (the protagonist actually says it out loud). There is however a wonderful sub-plot with the evil henchmen, that is not only funny, but intellectually stimulating as well. It's a commentary on basic storytelling, and I think it makes the film worth watching for anyone who's into any sort story related hobby/line of work. As this is a community of animators, I think it's a film that worth watching for everyone here, if for nothing else to view some fantastic animation from which you can't help but learn something, and for an amazing joke in between the animated portion of the credits and the rolling credits that made me laugh harder than I have in months.

Spoiler (click to read)

It's about animation, it's very meta, and it's brilliant.

I realize not everyone here is a total animation nerd, but I loved it, although not as much as ParaNorman, I think.

Gone Girl

Words can't describe how great this movie is.

funmiproductions wrote:

Gone Girl

Words can't describe how great this movie is.

There is but one (perhaps two) word(s) that can...  Fincher.

Guardians of the Galaxy

This is possibly the most entertaining movie I've ever seen. Maybe it's the music...

"I wear black even when I'm not animating. I'm like a walking funeral parlor."
-PushOverProductions

Gone Girl

With an intense length of 149 minutes, the suspense in this film never dropped, and it was what made the whole experience feel very real and very, very entertaining. Seriously, this has most likely been the most intense and immersive experience I have had in the theaters since Gravity.

That being said, I loved the film and really enjoyed the experience, but somehow, it wasn't as thought-provoking as I thought it would be. The ending is very open-ended, which should be thought-provoking, and yet it felt sort of disappointing. I feel like the film should have taken a different direction from somewhere around the end of the second third of the film. The first half is incredibly exciting, and then it all sort of turns out in a way, and then, the end. I feel like the film isn't over yet; like I'm still waiting for it all to turn out. Perhaps this was all intentional? I don't know, I feel like I should rewatch it and process it a little more, but still, I had a great time.

YouTube | Twitter 

http://i1106.photobucket.com/albums/h364/sfugity/bimTMIRABbanner_zps0970ba17.png
Currently going for the "Most Inactive" BiM award.

Incredible Shrinking Man

It was on MeTV the other night.  Fun atomic-era movie.

https://vimeo.com/channels/holdingourown      http://holding-our-own.tumblr.com

"None practice tolerance less frequently than those who most loudly preach it."

Charlie and the Chocolate Family

The lame Tim Burton version.

OK, it's not that terrible. When I was a child, I loved the original book (by law, every child in the UK has to read at least five Roald Dahl books by the age of eight) and I appreciate that they were trying to be more loyal than the 70's version. But...it actually kinda suffers for it.

Like Alice In Wonderland, Tim Burton has done a 'dark,' 'edgy' re-make of a popular family film based on a creepy childrens book...even though the family film was already really disturbing. Remember that cart that kept pumping foam into everyones face. Remember Charlie and Grandpa almost getting sliced up? Remember Slugworth - that guy who looked like a member of the Gestapo? Remember how we don't see any of the other children afterwards; meaning it's possible they all died? Remember Wonka's portal to hell that...I guess he installed on a whim. All of that wasn't actually in the book.

Yeah, it's pretty horrific seeing children get mutilated by the factory - but they all survive in the end. And the tone is dark enough to match. The 70's movie and the original book was more disturbing because it jarred between whimsical adventure and horrific nightmare. The Disney animated Alice In Wonderland is creepier because it's fluffy bunnies intercut with a bad LSD-trip. Spirited Away is one of the best children's films ever made because it balances delightful flights of fancy and OH MY GOD MY PARENTS ARE PIGS AND I'VE BEEN ENSLAVED BY DEMONIC BEINGS FROM HELL.

I kinda feel sorry for Tim Burton, as he's clearly trying so hard but his creativity is so misplaced and misguided (that pretty much sums up every lesser film he's made). The visuals are all amazing, and I like how they updated the children to represent modern archetypes - like Violet being obsessed with winning, Mike Tevee being obsessed with video-games (even though his name is 'Tevee'), and the rest remain relevant in todays society.

I actually really like the music. It's not as memorable as the original, but that's because the originals music is now firmly ingrained into pop-culture. Again, I'm a fan of the original book, and it's great to hear Dahl's original lyrics in the film. I would argue this is Danny Elfman's last good score. From here it's all bland, all the time.

Johnny Depp sucks as Willy Wonka, but we all know this. I would hate the whole storyline he has with his father, but I'll gladly take any excuse to see Christopher Lee. The weird narration comes and goes for no reason other than to be a lazy way of moving the story alone. The ending is really dumb, as Charlie's life actually gets better without Wonka - so we think the film is over...but then it carries on and we go back to the original ending in the book. It doesn't make any sense that Wonka shouldn't let Charlie's family come with him. There's enough space in the factory, isn't there? You have enough space and funds to have a hospital for mechanical puppets!

Overall, it's an oddity. An irrelevant oddity, but all oddities deserve at least a fleeting glance.

YouTube
Max, She/They

I actually like the Tim Burton version better than the 70s one.