Re: What was the last movie you watched?

No, no, Twickabrick. I was referring to the ending.

Spoiler (click to read)

One minute, Coop's in the bookshelf. And the next, he's in a hospital bed, without explaining how he got out of that place, or showing how the people of Earth were able to get up to Cooper's Station, at all.

Have you seen a big-chinned boy?

Oh, that.

Spoiler (click to read)

It would've been interesting if they had chosen to show that, but if they had, it seems like they would need to split it up into two movies. It worked for me because I just thought that once he sent her the information, she could solve the gravity theory thingy, and that the theory was all that was standing in the rest of the world's way of getting to and colonizing the new planet.

Mickey wrote:
Jayem wrote:

It's long, but perfectly paced, I could have watched another hour without tiring. The story evolves at a good pace right from the start, the various twists and turns spaced just far enough apart to hold your interest.

My views exactly. If they would patch up the plothole with the seemingly-missing hour, I wouldn't fuss. I enjoy long movies, as long as they keep me interested. I wouldn't have minded sitting in a cinema for an extra few minutes or so. However, it's just as easy to overlook and not care about a plothole as it is to care about a plothole...

..unless we're talking about Frozen.

That's not a plothole, though. That's just missing information.

I thought it was inferred quite well that

Spoiler (click to read)

once he sent back the data, the problem of gravity would be solved, allowing mankind to expand beyond the earth. That centrifuge they were building at NASA was the tubular station they were in at the end, right? So he wakes up to see the future that he enabled. The only bit not explained was why Coop was floating by Saturn, which I assumed was because the wormhole was there, and "they" sent him back through.

And out of interest, what's the plothole in Frozen?

Jayem wrote:
Mickey wrote:
Jayem wrote:

It's long, but perfectly paced, I could have watched another hour without tiring. The story evolves at a good pace right from the start, the various twists and turns spaced just far enough apart to hold your interest.

My views exactly. If they would patch up the plothole with the seemingly-missing hour, I wouldn't fuss. I enjoy long movies, as long as they keep me interested. I wouldn't have minded sitting in a cinema for an extra few minutes or so. However, it's just as easy to overlook and not care about a plothole as it is to care about a plothole...

..unless we're talking about Frozen.

That's not a plothole, though. That's just missing information.

I thought it was inferred quite well that

Spoiler (click to read)

once he sent back the data, the problem of gravity would be solved, allowing mankind to expand beyond the earth. That centrifuge they were building at NASA was the tubular station they were in at the end, right? So he wakes up to see the future that he enabled. The only bit not explained was why Coop was floating by Saturn, which I assumed was because the wormhole was there, and "they" sent him back through.

And out of interest, what's the plothole in Frozen?

That would explain a lot. And I forgot all about that centrifuge. I thought it was merely another rocket. And there are plenty of plotholes in Frozen. These include "To what extent do Elsa's powers go?", "How is she able to create life?", "Just how exactly does she receive all of these magical powers?"

Like Jayem said, missing information does not equal plothole.Those are all questions that the creators decided weren't necessary to tell the story they wanted to tell. A plothole is a contradiction of internal logic, i.e. a character acting in a way that contradicts what has been established about them in order to advance the plot or a deus ex machina that arrives unsupported by anything in the preceding narrative.

Filip wrote:

There are too many interesting films available for someone with no interest in a particular film to spend time watching it. Just because a lot of people like TDK doesn't mean it's some obligatory film every living entity must see.
People should be alowed to have their own taste and preferences.

I was just joking there. Personally, I don't think they are that great.
Still, I think it is important to watch some movies, even if you don't like the genre, for example: I have no interest at all in the Horror genre, but I think that if you're really interested in cinema, it's not a waste of time to watch at least once a movie like Saw (which I didn't like) or The Thing (which I did like); the worst that can happen is that you end up enjoying the picture.
It doesn't mean that your own tastes and preferences are gone.

A Pigeon Sat on a Branch Reflecting On Existence (En duva satt på en gren och funderade på tillvaron)
Roy Andersson, 2014

It's difficult to describe a Roy Andersson film to someone who hasn't seen one. They consist solely on loosely (or not at all) connected scenes, all of them meticulously staged with lots of things happening in both the foreground and background, all of them a single take, all of them almost excruciatingly slowly acted out. In many of them we follow two salesmen who want to "make people have fun" by selling vampire teeth. In one we see old 1700th century kings ride into modern pubs by horse, and in another one we see a man struggling to open a bottle of wine. They all deal with the absurdities of modern life. Some of them are hilarious, some of them are touching and some of them are dull. His films strike me as very hit-or-miss, and though I found the middle part to drag on for too long, there are always certain scenes that you'll keep in the back of your head for a long time.

http://i.imgur.com/jS4lkc3.jpg

Interstellar
Christopher Nolan, 2014

It's been a long time since I was as pleasantly surprised by a film as I was by this one.
I expected to be in awe by the visuals, and that I was, but never did I expect I'd cry to a Christopher Nolan film. I did.
Nolan is far from being a favorite of mine, so me saying this is my favorite of his isn't all that impressive. I think this might be my favorite straight-up sci-fi film of the past couple of decades though (and by straight-up sci-fi I'm excluding Kaufman and Jonze and dramas with elements of sci-fi, etc.) Nolan really got the human emotions right, and the score by Hans Zimmer (which is the best he's done since The Thin Red Line) was used really effectively, shifting between the really powerful Inception-esque moments to complete silence. I had issues with it, but most of them are those I'm willing to look past.
Question, though:

Spoiler (click to read)

is the ending supposed to be open for interpretation, or am I over analyzing it? Was the part where McConaughey was picked up by a space ship and awoke on the space station a dream from beyond the grave? Matt Damon spoke about the family being the last thing someone sees before he/she dies. The second last scene before the film ends is the one in which McConaughey meets his daughter (as an old fart). Did he died?

My old YouTube is since long ago defunct - now even removed.
Here is my new one.

Interstellar

It is beautiful.

Retribution (3rd place in BRAWL 2015)

&Smeagol      make the most of being surrounded by single, educated women your own age on a regular basis in college
AquaMorph    I dunno women are expensive

The Hunger Games: Mockingjay-Part 1 (2014)

Nothing too fantastic, but still enough excitement and suspense to tide fans over until 2015's Part 2. I thoroughly enjoyed it, and even though some people mostly look past the "part ones", I really, really enjoyed it, and I am pumped for Part 2.

9.5/10

Interstellar
this dude..... he knows how to make movies

National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation.

Actually one of my lesser favorite Christmas movies but I watched anyway.

https://vimeo.com/channels/holdingourown      http://holding-our-own.tumblr.com

"None practice tolerance less frequently than those who most loudly preach it."

I loved Interstellar.

No sound in space!  Makes my heart throb to see such great attention to detail and current scientific understanding, but in a way that's not pedantic.

Big Hero 6 (2014)

Hmm, quite interesting. On nearly all levels, this one is far better than last year´s Frozen. The film is a ton of fun, as a whole, the cast is nice, the action is fun, and the CGI has certainly come a long way. It looks more and more real with each new film, and the realistic facial animation is, actually, one of the few things I actually liked about Frozen.

However, I feel that the overall character outlines were a bit weak. I get the inkling that a lot of films neglect in taking their time to create wholesome and creative new characters. I felt like it was basically the same cookie-cutter cast of characters, but I was willing to overlook that due to Disney already going in and redesigning the original characters from Marvel´s comic book series. Baymax is totally transformed, due to the fact, that in the movie, he is a lovable, inflatable caregiver. In the comics--and I have actually never read the comics--he appears to be a more Hulk-like figure. It is both a laughable, and a disturbing, change that Disney has made.

Nevertheless, Big Hero 6 will go down as one of the best animated films of the year, in my book. I knew that I would love it, because it´s Disney´s first animated Marvel movie (if you can actually call it that). And...

Spoiler (click to read)

don´t think that there won´t be a post-credits scene because of it being an animated flick, either. This movie is packed with surprises around every corner.

9.3/10

Last edited by Mickey (November 26, 2014 (07:07pm))

Interstellar
I got to see this twice, one of which was in IMAX. Holy crap, it was beautiful. But I saw it a second time to iron out my opinions because I wasn't entirely loving it the first time and I didn't know how I exactly felt about it. On a second watch, I can say it's a solid film. Gorgeous visuals, fantastic acting, and the great family dynamic are its three biggest strengths. My problem boils down to the thinness of the script. There are its fair share of gaping plot holes, including but not limited to:

Spoiler (click to read)

If the whole "love is quantifiable" thing actually happens, why was Cooper only allowed to be in his daughter's room? Wouldn't that negate the whole idea that it was love that brought him there? If love is quantifiable, shouldn't he be able to follow HER instead of the room? What if she never returned?

Why did Michael Caine train his daughter if there was literally NO reason for him to do that. He's basically training her to solve an equation that he's already solved, and he knows that nobody is able to crack it. So why do it in the first place? And then why did he tell her right before he died? What was the purpose of that?

Why did Anne Hathaway suddenly become emotional about her boyfriend even though that completely contradicts her character? Oh, and right as she mentioned the "love is quantifiable" idea, I immediately thought "Oh. No. It's gonna be brought back up." Aaaaand I was right. Luckily it wasn't handled as sappy and terrible as it could have been.

Why did Matt Damon know that it was all a scam?

Why couldn't Christopher Nolan have been a BIT MORE SUBTLE about the metaphor of Matt Damon's name being Doctor MANN?

And also Christopher Nolan and his brother both wrote separate scripts and then combined them, and it clearly shows. But regardless of these flaws, it still is an intense and entertaining ride.

7/10

The Hunger Games: Cathing Fire
I wasn't exactly a huge fan of the first one, but I managed to see this before Mockingjay Part 1 came out, and I'm glad I did because this one is really good. It expands the world of Panem and capitalizes on the themes the first one missed out on. It also made the games way more interesting and intense.

8/10

The Hunger Games: Mockingjay - Part 1

I blame money.

This movie greatly suffers for being Part 1, or as it's been accurately called, "The Extended Trailer for Part 2." My opinions might be a bit different as I've never read the book, but contrary to popular belief, movies have to stand independently without the book. The events may be strictly the same as they were in the book, but that's the big problem. The book is told as one narrative, with rising events and eventually the climax. The movies were split into two, making the climax of Part 1...just another plot point in the Mockingjay book. So when the climax happened, I thought, "Wait...that's it? I expected at least a bit more than THAT..." And if you're thinking, "Well....that's what happened in the book!!!!!!" then it should have gone one of two ways:

1.) It should have just been one movie (which is the better choice.)
2.) It should have been reworked so that the third act was at least somewhat exciting.

That all being said, I know I have been trashing it up until now, but I didn't HATE this film. Everyone was great in their roles, but Jennifer Lawrence was especially fantastic as always. And I really enjoyed the whole idea of propaganda going back and forth between District 13 and the Capital, so I really enjoyed that political dynamic that was not delved into previously. If any of my complaints about the lack of action have a positive aspect, it means that Part 2 is going to be stuffed with it. And I'm really excited for it.

6.5/10

Filip wrote:
Spoiler (click to read)

is the ending supposed to be open for interpretation, or am I over analyzing it? Was the part where McConaughey was picked up by a space ship and awoke on the space station a dream from beyond the grave? Matt Damon spoke about the family being the last thing someone sees before he/she dies. The second last scene before the film ends is the one in which McConaughey meets his daughter (as an old fart). Did he died?

Spoiler (click to read)

No, the ending isn't open to interpretation.  He and the robot were spit back out of the worm hole, which is why the colonization ships found him floating near Saturn.  He didn't die.  His daughter kicked him out of the room because she wanted to die seeing the faces of her children.

RevMen wrote:
Filip wrote:
Spoiler (click to read)

Spoiler (click to read)

No, the ending isn't open to interpretation.  He and the robot were spit back out of the worm hole, which is why the colonization ships found him floating near Saturn.  He didn't die.  His daughter kicked him out of the room because she wanted to die seeing the faces of her children.

Spoiler (click to read)

I get that that is what's shown, but I felt like it was all a bit too good to be true. Did the colonization ships really just luck out and find him floating in the middle of nowhere just as he was about to suffocate? Whatever, maybe I'm trying to find something that isn't there. It's a great film regardless.

My old YouTube is since long ago defunct - now even removed.
Here is my new one.

Filip wrote:
Spoiler (click to read)

I get that that is what's shown, but I felt like it was all a bit too good to be true. Did the colonization ships really just luck out and find him floating in the middle of nowhere just as he was about to suffocate? Whatever, maybe I'm trying to find something that isn't there. It's a great film regardless.

Spoiler (click to read)

It actually makes perfect sense, since the black hole/worm hole was created by advanced beings.  Since they belong to a higher dimension and are capable of manipulating time and space, it would be quite easy for them to send Cooper to the place near Saturn at the exact time the station passed by so he could be rescued after he did his thing and they closed the Tesseract.

At least, that's my take on it.

Chris W. wrote:
Spoiler (click to read)

If the whole "love is quantifiable" thing actually happens, why was Cooper only allowed to be in his daughter's room? Wouldn't that negate the whole idea that it was love that brought him there? If love is quantifiable, shouldn't he be able to follow HER instead of the room? What if she never returned?

Why did Michael Caine train his daughter if there was literally NO reason for him to do that. He's basically training her to solve an equation that he's already solved, and he knows that nobody is able to crack it. So why do it in the first place? And then why did he tell her right before he died? What was the purpose of that?

Why did Anne Hathaway suddenly become emotional about her boyfriend even though that completely contradicts her character? Oh, and right as she mentioned the "love is quantifiable" idea, I immediately thought "Oh. No. It's gonna be brought back up." Aaaaand I was right. Luckily it wasn't handled as sappy and terrible as it could have been.

Why did Matt Damon know that it was all a scam?

Why couldn't Christopher Nolan have been a BIT MORE SUBTLE about the metaphor of Matt Damon's name being Doctor MANN?

Spoiler (click to read)

I never got the feeling that Cooper ending up behind the bookcase/in the Tesseract was due to the whole "love is quantifiable" thing--after all, he only ended up there because he shot himself (and TARS) into the black hole to allow Brand to escape and collect readings so Murph could complete the equation to rescue Earth's population.  The advanced beings created the Tesseract so Cooper could have a way to communicate with the past.

It wasn't the entire mission that was a scam, just the part about building the space station to allow Earth's remaining population to survive.  Remember, Dr Brand mentioned from the very beginning that there was "Plan B" (using the 5000 preserved embryos to re-start the human race on a suitable planet)... except it was "Plan A" all along.  He invented the bit about the equation to keep people motivated because they still would have hope.  (You have to admit, most people probably wouldn't be very motivated if they knew they were going to die anyway.)

As far as I understand, there was a pretty big dilemma about which planet to choose, and they objectively discussed which choice would be better, before Brand gave her "love speech".  It sounds pretty cheesy on paper, but it felt surprisingly natural in the actual film, i.e., as if it was something someone in that situation would say.  I think it also fits quite well with the "survival instinct" theme throughout the movie--at the end of the day, we're all human, and no matter how rationally and objectively we calculate a situation, we'll still have feelings and emotions.  (Also, psychological research has in fact shown that emotions/"gut feeling" can help people make better judgments, so there's that.)

I'm not really sure what you mean about the "metaphor" behind Mann's name, aside from perhaps "man is a flawed being", which is a pretty vague and general metaphor.  And it's not as though Mann is an especially rare name, either.

Last edited by Mr Vertigo (November 27, 2014 (02:47pm))

&Smeagol      make the most of being surrounded by single, educated women your own age on a regular basis in college

FlyingMinifig wrote:
Filip wrote:
RevMen wrote:
Spoiler (click to read)

Spoiler (click to read)

Spoiler (click to read)

It actually makes perfect sense, since the black hole/worm hole was created by advanced beings.  Since they belong to a higher dimension and are capable of manipulating time and space, it would be quite easy for them to send Cooper to the place near Saturn at the exact time the station passed by so he could be rescued after he did his thing and they closed the Tesseract.

At least, that's my take on it.

Spoiler (click to read)

If they can place people wherever they want, why didn't they just place him IN the space station? And if they can manipulate time, why didn't they place him back some years after his daughter had solved the equation so he could spend a lot more years with her? Geez, the higher-dimensional beings are jerks, haha.

Chris W. wrote:
Spoiler (click to read)

If they can place people wherever they want, why didn't they just place him IN the space station? And if they can manipulate time, why didn't they place him back some years after his daughter had solved the equation so he could spend a lot more years with her? Geez, the higher-dimensional beings are jerks, haha.

Spoiler (click to read)

Well, the full extent of their power is never revealed, so they might not be able to do everything, or are only able to send him to a point fairly close to the physical location of the black hole (Cooper went into the black hole from the other galaxy, so I imagine that where he ended up was "the other end"--which would make sense since the wormhole was also stated as being near Saturn.  And don't forget, it would probably have taken years, even decades, from when he encoded the information on to the watch he gave to Murph to when the space station(s) were fully built and operational, supplied, all of the Earth's remaining population had been put aboard--not to mention the travel time itself from Earth to Saturn (considering the massive space stations are probably a fair bit slower than the Endurance).

FlyingMinifig wrote:
Chris W. wrote:
Spoiler (click to read)

Spoiler (click to read)

Well, the full extent of their power is never revealed, so they might not be able to do everything, or are only able to send him to a point fairly close to the physical location of the black hole (Cooper went into the black hole from the other galaxy, so I imagine that where he ended up was "the other end"--which would make sense since the wormhole was also stated as being near Saturn.  And don't forget, it would probably have taken years, even decades, from when he encoded the information on to the watch he gave to Murph to when the space station(s) were fully built and operational, supplied, all of the Earth's remaining population had been put aboard--not to mention the travel time itself from Earth to Saturn (considering the massive space stations are probably a fair bit slower than the Endurance).

Spoiler (click to read)

It MIGHT have to do with their power not being revealed, but if Cooper could alter and move objects from inside the Tesseract alone through years of time difference, I would think that they would be able to move people from Point A to point B. I understand that it would have taken a LONG time to build the space station, but my point earlier was that these beings should have sent Cooper to Earth BEFORE it was built.