Re: What was the last movie you watched?

Interstellar

I liked the movie... but I have to watch it again to understand everything (Since it was the first time watching it).
It is a beautiful looking movie. I would recommend it. (In my opinion, Interstellar was an experimental movie in a way, since it mostly represented Estien's Theory of Relativity in the one of the most complex plots I have ever seen).

Making Motion  Youtube

Star Wars: The Force Awakens

This was my most anticipated movie of the year and it did not disappoint. It currently sits as my third favorite movie in the series, and it was a heck of a lot of fun. I love all of the new characters, especially Kylo Ren. He's such a fascinating character (way more interesting than Darth Vader was in A New Hope). All the acting was great, all the characters were great (well...minus Captain Phasma, but that's marketing's fault more than anything), and overall it was so much fun. My only really qualms were the humor, in which not all of the jokes worked for me, and the fact that too many of the plot points were verbatim A New Hope. Now, that really doesn't impact my opinion overall, as the plot points serve as a backdrop for the character drama, which I all loved. And also some of the political state wasn't exactly established clearly. I'm fine with questions being left for the next movie(s), but the state of the environment in which the characters live in should have been more clearly stated. Not too big of a problem though. The lightsaber fighting, I might add, was exactly what I was hoping for. It's better choreographed than the originals, but not too choreographed with all the super-flips and swinging NEAR your opponent instead of AT your opponent. A perfect blend of the OT and PT.

And yes, I cried. Multiple times. Not afraid to admit that.

Overall, an imperfect movie but so much fun. Can't wait to see it again. And again. And probably one more time after that. And then Episode VIII when it comes out (which is only a year and a half away. If we're following how TFA was marketed, we're gonna get a teaser trailer before too long!).

9/10

I just watched Star Wars 7 for the second time.  I loved it even more the second time!  Truly worthy of the original trilogy.

https://vimeo.com/channels/holdingourown      http://holding-our-own.tumblr.com

"None practice tolerance less frequently than those who most loudly preach it."

I saw that latest Godzilla movie today.

I hadn't seen a Godzilla movie before, but I thought it was really rad.
There were a couple a of shots in there, particularly some of the ones with a monster in them, which felt remarkably well composed, and I really liked that.

Spoiler (click to read)

a character I liked died near the beginning of the movie, though, and I was a bit disappointed that he wasn't going to be in the rest of it.

Great film, Squid.

Yesterday I watched "Earth vs the Flying Saucers".  Love it still.

Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens (2015)

I give it 9/10 Starkiller Bases.

Retribution (3rd place in BRAWL 2015)

&Smeagol      make the most of being surrounded by single, educated women your own age on a regular basis in college
AquaMorph    I dunno women are expensive

The Social Network
Avoided this for years because to me it was just "that facebook movie" but I never assumed that it would become an instant favourite of mine. The writing is brilliant, the pacing is meticulously crafted, the acting is solid and the direction is absolutely phenomenal. There are scenes in this which are just dialogue that are made amazingly compelling simple by the amazing direction of David Fincher or the writing or Aaron Sorkin. I don't like to give ratings, but if I did, I'd give this a perfect 10.

Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens

Good

http://i.imgur.com/WAr6hHC.png
BRAWL 2013 ENTRY Quack In Time
"Why in the world did you do a weird language if you know English?" - tenny1028

Snow White and the Huntsman

While the concept was interesting (essentially turning a beloved fairy tale on its head) this film ultimately fall flat on its face. This film feels like it's trying to be The Lord of the Rings but misses the one thing that made LotR great, character development and moments. It truly baffles me that Universal thinks they should base a franchise off this film since the prequel is set to be released sometime this year.

2/10

The concept is not interesting... turning fairy tales on its ear wasn't even original when "Shrek" came out, let alone "Hoodwinked", and the real latecomers: "Once Upon a Time" and "Ever After High".

I don't think I've ever felt as much regret walking out of a theater as when I saw that movie; such a bad film. I can't believe their making a prequel. Except I can, because Hollywood.

I actually quite like that film. I'd give it at least 7/10.

The latest movies I've seen in theaters:

Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens
I was utterly satisfied with this movie as It was nearly everything I hoped for. The direction by J.J was fantastic, as well as the acting, cast, story, cinematography, great score by John Williams and both cgi and practical effects and It's got a great balance between classic and new star wars. It's definitely not a flawless movie but I loved It nonetheless. I give it an A

The Hateful Eight
It's basically what I always expect from a Quentin Tarantino flick and as always It didn't disappoint. This gory, comedic, dark and over the top version of the game "Clue" Is a great movie in all aspects, from the beautiful cinematography, direction, oldschool spaghetti western style and engaging dialogue to the fantastic sondtrack by Ennio Morricone and the stellar preformance given by Samuel L. Jackson and the rest of the cast. I only have but a few gripes and nitpicks with the film. This movie earned a spot in my favorite Tarantino movies list. A

Creed
Creed was a very pleasent surprise, and like the last two flicks I just talked about, It Is also one of my favorite movies of 2015. The directing in this movie is phenomenal, especially during a certain boxing sequence which Is recorded all in one take and had me on the edge of my seat, not to mention the great preformances by Michael B. Jordan and Sylvestre Stallone (giving probably his best preformance in a long long time, maybe since the first Rocky, definitely oscar worthy imo). The entire movie was refreshing, engaging, exciting and just the right direction for the Rocky franchise. I loved every second of it. A+

Glad all the movies i've watched recently are great. I hope my comment isn't way too extensive mini/lol

Last edited by rafaelbisinoti (January 26, 2016 (04:00pm))

Pan
It has Hugh Jackman.

Labyrinth
It has David Bowie.

Watching these two movies in this unintentional order makes me want to watch Pan's Labyrinth again.  Or perhaps The Prestige (which has David Bowie and Hugh Jackman).

Why not both?

Youtube

my dad doesn't want me to brickfilm on because it's his computer, but he's not home right now at the moment.
-FilmyGuy1

(I didn't end up watching Pan's Labyrinth or The Prestige)

Steam Boy
An anime movie set in Victorian London and Manchester.  For an animated film, it was actually surprisingly long.  Although the film starts out a bit slow, there is a really big action scene which feels like it takes up around about one third of the film (I'm just estimating here, but that's what it felt like), which was also really cool.  Overall it was a pretty solid film with some really nice animation.  My brother, Lee, thought it was one of the best movies he ever saw.
(I watched the English dub because it had Patrick Stewart)

The LEGO Movie
This is my third time now (I watch it every February 7th, every year).  It still holds up.  This time around I noticed that the saloon had Fabuland heads mounted on the wall.

The Secret Life of Walter Mitty
Wow.  I had a couple different friends suggest this (fairly strongly mini/tongue ), so I finally got around to watching it. When I first heard about it, and up until I actually saw it, I had heard that it was about this guy who imagines things as he goes around and what came to my mind was something along the lines of Harold and the Purple Crayon, so it didn't really appeal to me. On top of that, I had listened to a bit of the soundtrack and didn't really find what I listened to that interesting.
Despite all this, I am VERY glad I watched it. This is an amazing piece of work. The two things that struck me most about it - the framing (gosh, I love some of those shots), and how everything has a purpose. That latter point is well exampled through the product placement - even the Papa Johns he visits is important to the story, not just some random backdrop for a phone call scene.
All in all I am incredibly glad I decided to see it, and would wholeheartedly recommend anyone else doing so if you have not.

Deadpool

If you enjoy fairly gratuitous violence and witty but very crass humor as much as I do, go see it. It's everything that I had hoped that it would be. It might not be the best film ever from an objective point of view, but I honestly couldn't say after just one viewing because I was having so much fun watching it. It's been a long time since I've genuinely laughed out loud this much at a post 80's movie.

The Big Short

I haven't seen a movie this righteously angry at any one subject in a long time. I love the way that the criminality behind the banks' involvement in the financial collapse is exposed through an already-shady business deal - it's like a crime movie that slowly evolves into another crime movie entirely.

Deadpool

Great fun. You could definitely tell everyone involved was trying their hardest to get it right, and they pretty much nailed it. For all of its implied subversiveness, though, it did follow a lot of common superhero origin story tropes which I had hoped it might avoid, but the film's overall style and sense of humor definitely made up for that.

Room

It's a good movie that could easily have lost 20-30 minutes from the ending and be the better for it. Everything set in and leading up to the escape from Room was excellent, but then the film's pacing hits a brick wall once they're out. Still, incredibly well-performed and, at times, genuinely thrilling.

I've been on a small Coen streak lately.

Fargo
It was cool, I guess. Cinematography and acting were both great, just I didn't feel good about the story after I watched it.

No Country For Old Men
This was a great film. Cinematography, acting (especially Javier Bardem), but most importantly, story was excellent.

O Brother, Where Art Thou?
Really all around solid film. Probably my second favorite Coen production so far.

The Ladykillers
So I know a lot of their stuff is like dark/subtle comedy, but I supremely enjoyed this for the slapstick elements as well as the well executed subtle comedy was better executed compared to small parts in Fargo. The ending is amazing.

Twitter | Instagram | YouTube Channel | Tumblr | My Weekly Film Podcast!
"For I am NOT ashamed of the Gospel of Christ" - Romans 1:16

Gentry studios, if you liked O Brother Where Art Though, you should really see The Big Lebowski.  It is probably my favorite Coen brothers film, and my 4th favorite movie of all time.  Also, if have not already seen Raising Arizona, I would check that one out too.  It isn't a great movie the way Fargo or Blood Simple are, but it is a lot of fun.
In addition, I would recommend watching Fargo again.  It really is one of those movies that gets better and better the more you see it.

The Third Arrival is out now!
https://c1.staticflickr.com/4/3749/33174196922_0638c7d7e7_n.jpg
--"The sun's not yellow, it's chicken!"