Re: What was the last movie you watched?

I recently (as in two days ago or so) finally got round to watching Captain America: Winter Soldier, and because I liked it so much, I decided to go and see Captain America: Civil War. Now, it isn't anything new to me, I've watched all of the other Superhero films and I'm a huge DC and Marvel fan, however, for some reason I hadn't got around to watching Winter Soldier. However, I must say I'm glad I waited so I could watch both films in the same day, obviously Winter Soldier via Netflix and Civil War at the cinema/theater. I really do recommend both films if people have access to them as they're great, I might post an actual review soon on YouTube, but for now, I just thought I'd leave my opinion.

YouTube Channel - Please Subscribe to Help me out!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9br8o … UGih5jf8zA

I'm not trying to start a huge argument and this isn't what you were saying, but there's tons of people who think Captain America: The first avenger is really bad. The Russo bros. said he was a "Square" because he has a code of honour and doesn't want to kill anyone.

I do not brickfilm anymore, but you can see my live action stuff here.

Optimus prime has the same code and the Transformers TV series, like Captain America 1, is plain awesome.

https://vimeo.com/channels/holdingourown      http://holding-our-own.tumblr.com

"None practice tolerance less frequently than those who most loudly preach it."

Ant-Man
Oh my... this movie was so, so, SO obvious. Everything was given to the audience from early in the film. From the romance element, to the climax (y'all know what I'm referring to), it was all handed to us, and we knew exactly what was going to happen long before it ever happened. Still, the movie was fun and pretty clean, and I was entertained for 2 hours, so I guess that's something. 7/10

Blood Diamond
Oh my... this movie was so, so, SO heavy. I think that this film was very effective in making its point. The message was clear, and the filmmakers' ideals were conveyed efficiently. I particularly enjoyed the cinematography. Also, the element of not being able to rightly guess how Dicaprio's character would act in the end was nice; there was plenty of suspense. 8/10

Now available to score films. https://soundcloud.com/guy-commanderson

"Contrary to the old saying, the trick is not to expect but accept the unexpec..." ~ Rick Rascal

Smocktopus wrote:

I'm not trying to start a huge argument and this isn't what you were saying, but there's tons of people who think Captain America: The first avenger is really bad.

Really? I thought it was ok. Actually, better than the usual Marvel fair. Though, it did seem a bit like Rocketeer: Round 2 to me. And in that comparison, I don't think Captain America holds a candle to the Rocketeer film of the 90's. It's not surprising that they're so similar, though, since, aside from the similar period setting, both films feature the same director.

If I Were A Minifig wrote:

Ant-Man
Oh my... this movie was so, so, SO obvious.

That's sad to hear. I was really looking forward to seeing that one. I probably still will, even if just for Michael Douglas. He's usually great in everything he's in. mini/smile

https://i.imgur.com/Z8VtGae.png

Zootopia

Spoiler (click to read)

Zootopia blew me away with the amazing visuals, attention to detail and unique writing. It's traditional Disney - a strong moral message behind a colourful, fantastically made beautiful animation. My one critique is that I felt as though perhaps it was a little too preachy - It feels like the creators so deeply wanted to put their message across about racial prejudice that it felt almost forced and not very subtle. Be that as it may, it is a rather touchy subject and I do think that overall, they did a pretty good job with it as a whole.

All the characters are well developed and interesting, which is extremely vital for a good movie. Even the minor characters that may only have a couple of minutes of screen time are unique and well developed. The movie did also have a lot of unexpected surprises near the end which you probably aren't likely to predict. Zootopia is a marvelous film, and is worthy to be a part of the Disney classic collection. 9/10!

Spider-man (2002)

In my opinion this can't be topped. Tobey Maguire is perfect as spider-man, better than Andrew Garfield. The Marc Webb movies were over stuffed with jokes and quips but Sam Raimi's had just enough and felt more comic booky than Marc webbs. This whole thing won't be comparison’s so I'll stop here. I haven't seen Tom holland so I don't know how well he did but he seems good, but even if he's great I'll still prefer Tobey maguire because those were the one's I grew up with. Some of the CGI was a little early 2000's-y but most of it looks very good. And the whole

Spoiler (click to read)

Uncle Ben death and the way Spider-man could've stopped it but didn't was very well done. Better than revenge over chocolate milk (last one)

The whole movie is great along with the whole trilogy. Even the 3rd one.
5/5

I agree with you about the contrast with the newer Spider Man movies.

Finding Dory

After my initial dislike for Pixar's last few outings, Inside Out and The Good Dinosaur, I learned that it is always a good idea for Pixar to only make one movie a year. That way, they can concentrate all their efforts on making a single solitary animated film, and not trying to put out two in one year.

When Ellen began to premiere the trailers for this movie on her YouTube, and on her talk show, and on her Facebook, and on her Twitter, etc. (you get the picture), I was mildly excited. I might have raised an eyebrow or two, and was not exactly sure how to react. But, then I remembered all of Pixar's other efforts to make a sequel, and realized that Toy Story 2 was the only one of them that ever did anything for me. I remember enjoying Toy Story 3, up until the ending, which ruined everything for me. I recall the global hatred for Cars 2, and how the mere existence of the sequel had begun to besmirch the likability of the first Cars movie--which was, and still is, one of my all-time favorite underrated Pixar flicks. And I could not forget how I had actually liked Monsters University when it was first released in 2012...until I realized that the storyline and the new cast of characters would, in fact, not be in line with the first Monsters Inc movie--where was Squishy by the time they started work at the factory, and how could they have just met in college when Mike specifically says that he and Sulley have known each other since the fourth grade?

But, I cast my cynicism and nitpicks aside, and kept some sense of optimism for Dory's new movie, the memory of watching Finding Nemo for the very first time in my kindergarten class. I went into this movie spoiler-free, reading hardly any reviews, and not knowing how the movie would end.

And it was fantastic. I laughed, I cried, and I clapped right along with the rest of the theater audience, once the movie was over. The animation was as beautiful as ever, the way the story unfolded was brilliant, even if the truck scene] was a bit of a eye-roller, albeit hilarious.

I also really liked Piper the short film that preceded the movie, as well as the end-credits scene where a couple of familiar Pixar characters return briefly. Overall, I'm thoroughly glad Pixar has made a sequel that I can re-watch and not dislike. It's nice to see my favorite animation studio back on top.

"Finding Dory": 9.8/10
"Piper": 9.7/10

The Right Stuff

I rented this from the library, along with The Social Network and Martin Scorsese's The Aviator, two of my all-time favorite movies. It's an incredibly fun, 192-minute-long thrill ride about a man who is constantly setting speed records, while a group of other men are busy with reaching new heights of their own.

Check it out if you are a fan of 2001, or other super-long movies about outer space.

9.5/10

Last edited by Mickey (June 21, 2016 (03:04pm))

Have you seen a big-chinned boy?

Popstar Never stop never stopping
Hilarious satire. Loved it. The lonely island hasn't lost their touch. 7.5/10

The Nice Guys
Loved it. Deserved more attention than it got. Basically Lethal Weapon for the new generation, created by the same guy. 9/10

Les Miserables 2012

This is a great film.  Beautiful story line.  Of all the movie versions of this book, this one is the best.  It is the closest to the book.  The singing is fantastic.  I rate it 10/10.  If you like the book, you should watch this film.

Interstellar

This is another great film.  Visually stunning.  Interesting story line.  Christopher Nolan always makes a good movie.

Jessica

“So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God.” 1 Corinthians 10:31.

The Nice Guys: Really liked it. It's not ground breaking in any way, but thoroughly enjoyable. It's one of those films that sits between genres, and totally pulls it off; absolutely worth theater money.

Free state of Jones: Nothing special, but I'm not sure why it's receiving so much hate from critics. Maybe it's because slavery and civil rights have been covered so much recently by Hollywood, and it just isn't a standout. The pacing of the story is a little off, especially near the end. But it met my expectations: an average historical drama, with some action thrown in, in an appropriate quantity.

Independence Day: Resurgence

I am a tightwad by nature, and it was Tightwad Tuesday so my beloved wife and I went, compromising since the 4th was a Monday.

Loved it!

Now, it's hard to top the original, and the character development wan't as full as the original, but man was it intense!  It started out slow but revised history to reflect the events of 1996 in the first movie.  It's like in Star Trek 4, the cast went back to 1987, so people in real life would have hauled Kirk, Spock, etc off to a convention, but history was changed for the movie to remove the Star Trek franchise from the movie's history.  In the same way, humans over the past 20 years benefited from the technology aliens left behind from the first movie, building a defense force.  It was also wonderful to see a woman American president who isn't a corrupt criminal protected by her own kakistcoracy.

Except for Fighter Pilot Fuller (Will Smith), the original cast was there, including former president Whitmore & his daughter, Jsmine and her son Dylan, David Livingston (Jeff Goldblum) and his father, and Dr. Okin, who was hilarious!  The secretary of defense, whom Whitmore fired int he first movie, returned as the new secretary of defense (I think).

Most of the new generation resistance cast didn't seem as interesting, but I liked many other new characters: The African warlord, David's interpreter, and a crew of treasure hunters.

It's a Roland Emmerich. Dean Devlin movie, so not a cent was spared on special effects.  Liberties were taken at the expense of real science everywhere, but it's a movie.  They're supposed to be an escape from reality.  All the spaceship sounds in Star Wars movies shouldn't be there, but we don't get mad.  However, after the plot started swinging in gear, it was non-stop action, and a constant feeling of "Oh, gosh!  How are they going to get out of THIS ONE?"  And since it's an Emmerich film, the focus was on everyday people overcoming a world-changing situation against insurmountable odds.

I conclude with my thoughts on the ending.  I've avoided specifics on the plot and I will here, but am adding a spoiler to be extra cautious because it is about the ending.

Spoiler (click to read)

A lot of movies these days set themselves up for a sequel.  I get annoyed by this.  The way they typically do is to make it look like the enemy or some of many enemies survived, and they're coming back with a vengeance.  Just save it for the sequel.  Well, IDR ended it in a way that set itself up for a sequel, but in an optimistic way and, as this franchise loves to do, in a way that makes you proud to be human.

I loved it, and recommend it for a fun and intense two hours.

Jupiter Ascending

Not really that good, but not really that bad either. There are some good things about it and some bad things, and I'm not really sure what to make of it.  The plot is perhaps a little bit too convoluted, and the action scenes are a bit of a mess, making it hard to tell whats happening, but it had some interesting concepts and cool visuals.  Eddie Redmane's character was really weird, but there was something I liked about him.

Zootopia

Really good.  It's an overall great film with a wonderful story, great characters, and almost every single joke was funny to me.  This is a movie I feel like I want to watch every few years for the rest of my life.

Ghostbusters

Pretty good.

10 Cloverfield Lane... AWESOME! So well written, such an interesting and refreshing film. The last 20 minutes are a hit or miss for most of the people, I knew what to expect but to me it still felt out of place, so other than the last 20 minutes of the movie I honestly loved it.

The Bourne Identity (2002)

It has Matt Damon.  It also has action.  It's good to see Matt Damon in action. 

I highly recommend this film if you like Matt Damon and/or action.

Retribution (3rd place in BRAWL 2015)

&Smeagol      make the most of being surrounded by single, educated women your own age on a regular basis in college
AquaMorph    I dunno women are expensive

The Great Escape - 1963, Starring Steve McQueen, James Garner, and Richard Attenborough

This is a very good film on a mass escape of prisoners from a German POW camp during WWII. While a few details were changed, (such as having an American playing a prominent role in the escape) this movie follows the true story for the most part.

All in all, I really enjoyed the Great Escape, and would recommend it to anyone who is interested in WWII, has seen other Steve McQueen films such as the Magnificent Seven, or who can stand the somewhat depressing ending.

YouTube

"If you find a fork in the road, take it." - Yogi Berra

Captain America: Civil War

Very good film. I had read lot's of spoiler's that turned out to be wrong so I'm glad it wasn't spoiled. When I first heard of the story I thought it should be the other way around, Cpt America for the accords and Tony against them but when I saw the movie it made sense.

Spoiler (click to read)

The way they were advertising it, Cpt America Vs Iron man, I thought that was weird because they're friends so they probably wouldn't actually wanna fight, but the airport fight is good how they are fighting, but just not enough to kill each other. Tony's rampage at the end make's sense, though. Because Bucky killed his parent's and most people would get angry and destroy stuff if they saw a video like that. I liked how they kept Crossbones comic book-y.

They did a surprisingly good job with the large number of characters the film has. I really liked Tom holland as Spider-man. His performance was great and I like how he's actually a young guy so I could actually believe he's in high school. I still think Tobey maguire did it best but Tom holland is great as well. I don't like "Captain America: The Winter Soldier" as much as the world did, and I think this one is better, but I'm not sure if I like it better than the 1st one. One complaint I would have is the amount of language in it.

Story: 9 Technical: 7 Entertainment: 10.

The Little Prince

You're all stop motion animators, so you should watch this. The stop motion segments are beautiful, and over all it's a pretty darn good movie. You can tell that the director, (as well as the rest of the team) really poured his heart and soul into it. It's on Netflix, and it's not very long, so there's really no reason not to watch it.

Ghostbusters

Pretty good.

Which one do you mean?