Topic: James Bond: Mechanical Brick

Finally its done. I've been workin' on this for a while now :]
So, yeah its not my best, but I think its pretty cool, hope you feel the same!
Constructive critisism is wanted!

Youtube

I'll try to get a download up in a bit. mini/yes

Re: James Bond: Mechanical Brick

I've been waiting for a great Bond brickfilm for a long time. This one falls a bit short of that mark, but it's definitely one of the better ones I've seen.

The good: Solidly executed gunbarrel effect at the beginning, and the action and pacing of the first few minutes as Bond breaks in were well done. Everything the Bond franchise is known for is here: gunbarrel opening, credit sequence backed by silhouetted women, fights and killing, a disfigured villain, capture followed by an escape from a seemingly unescapable and almost comically excessive situation, and Bond's eventual triumph. (Nobody whine about my not using spoiler tags. I think you all would have figured that out without my help.) Techincal aspects all do the job nicely. And for something as simple as clay on construction paper, the illusion of a moving underwater object was startlingly convincing.

Needs work: Some common issues; set bumps, incongruous sound effects, etc. Footsteps, as with just about every brickfilm ever made, leave something to be desired, and a gunshot that were recorded outside from 100 m away was used for one in a small room. The end seemed rushed, tacked on merely to turn an action sequence into a complete story. But mainly, the film just didn't achieve the level of realism necessary to work as a dramatic film. The overuse of clay blood, physics issues common to many brickfilms (like the guy gets shot in the back yet falls backward), and the lack of some difficult-to-replicate yet important effects (the water surface; dust/debris from the grenade) were unfortunate reminders that I was watching plastic toys, which took away from the film's dramatic tone.

But overall, a nicely executed action flick. A few scattered sour grapes prevent this from being as awesome as it could have been, but you've got at least one very satisfied viewer. Quite a cool little film.

EDIT: Off topic, has zwan released his Bond film yet? And if so, can somebody give me a link?

Last edited by Noodle (April 22, 2009 (10:29pm))

With all due respect Noodle, I don't want you here. - Ratboy Productions

On the bad side it needed some action music and the bad guys bullets were stopped by a glass door.
I still enjoyed it a lot the thick blood suited the chucky brick world.
Overall a great effort I enjoyed it alot.

CrimStories

Other:  DOTBW      Take Out      Crime Stories      Cyclic     YouTube

Hmph, another James Bond fanfilm. What about your older film, the lego daylights?

krakovibrick man wrote:

Hmph, another James Bond fanfilm.

mini/madhead

I tought the film was pretty cool. The only thing is, it's just not a James Bond film. You have the intro, the gunbarrel scene, the music, but the cinematography isn't great, and the lightning is boring (only the tunnel shot looks good). If you work on those 2 things, you'll make an awesome James Bond film.

''You don't have to tell him how great is coffee is man!''

Cool replys guys, thanks for the great info!

nice film mini/smile

TheNoodle26 wrote:

](like the guy gets shot in the back yet falls backward)

That's very well possible, a bullet doesn't affect which way you fall (not a small calliber bullet anyway).  When you get shot you don't fly a few yards or get thrown backwards like you see in the movies. Though I guess he should've been thrown forwards in this movie, as it is a James Bond movie. mini/tongue

bodville wrote:

On the bad side it needed some action music and the bad guys bullets were stopped by a glass door.

Could've been bullet proof glass. mini/tongue

The film wasn't that bad, but it wasn't that great either. The story felt a bit rushed, it started out great and I loved the James Bond style intro, but the ending was quite dissapointing. There was hardly any storyline and the villain didn't even reveal his plans to take over the world like in every James Bond movie (I've seen).
Did you have a deadline or did you just get bored with this movie at the end?

A little ambient music would've been nice to get rid of some awkward silences and like everyone else said, the conclusion left something to be desired.  The beginning credits were really cool, and I liked how you animated the grenade exploding.  Most importantly, it was entertaining so good job.

Thanks guys, and yes sadly I got kindof tired with the stroy so thats why its a bit rushed. mini/sad

Last edited by Olsonstudios (April 24, 2009 (05:30am))

very nice mini/smile

-Jon64

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4079/4876920171_59c4d4ac70.jpg
More videos on my Youtube Channel or on my (now updated) Webstite

Good enjoyable film. Nice intro mini/bigsmile.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/nomfee/Lego/fjpb_poster_.png
Click above to watch mini/bigsmile
Youtube Twitter