Topic: How would a collaborative brick project shape up over the net?

I'd like to get into collaborativ projects some time - where I'm not doing the producing, directing, scripting, voicing, animiating, sound engineering, special effects and fetching the coffee.

I think working with one or two others can not only produce a speedier result but we can cross-skill off each other, bounce ideas, critique and keep enthusiasm up.  I'm putting the finishing touches on my 6 week project and I'm looking back and going "well - that was a lonely affair - me in my dark room night after night, constantly doubting the quality of my work".  How to fix?

Sure - you can say brick filming is a solo sport and like most hobbies, chiefly done by one person - but if you push the envelope, I wonder what might be.  "Real" movies can't be done by one person and I think moving from a solo artist to a small team to a larger team etc is a natural progression.

I was thinking how an internet project might work:

- You would need an animator of course and this person needs to be the team lead.  They'll be doing most of the work and they are limited by their own collection of blocks and they'll know the limits of their skill set.  They would have the final say on the animation but not necessarily on other parts of the production.

- Script writers write ... scripts.  Some people are good at this and enjoy it.

- Storyboarders.  They take scripts and do storyboards.  They show the storyboards to the team for input and critique and adjust accordingly.

- You could have a sound engineer for dialogue, music and special effects.  They source the required sounds, time them right and get sound levels correct.  Can remove hiss and add audio effects as appropriate (like adjusting a normal voice to a radio voice).

- Special effects.  This person as AE or GIMP or PhotoShop or whatever and they're good at getting explosions and smoke and adjusting lighting and contrast and camera shake.  They would take raw footage and apply magic.

- Voice actors/actresses of course.  This would be as it is now. 

Some people can do more than one role of course.  The script writer might also do the storyboard for example.

I'm going to give something like this a bit more thought.  A project can collaborate through email (timezones would prevent much instant messaging) and shared file repositories (drop box etc).  My demo reel has only one film, so I don't feel right asking others to join me just yet, but I'll be releasing another film soon and that will let others decide if my two films demonstrate qualities people would like to associate themselves with.

I'm sure I'm not the first to think of this or try something like this.  Let me know how your experiences went.

Aka Fox
Youtube: My channel   Twitter: @animationantics
Best brick films: My selection

Re: How would a collaborative brick project shape up over the net?

I'm up for this mini/smile

I'll volunteer as director, or animator. I'd volunteer as writer as well, but all my ideas aren't as good as others, even though I've done a script writing class.

EDIT: I hope that one day KB Videos will be an entire team, but time zones and all, I'm going to be sourcing my team from my city only.

http://www.cxpulp.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=874&d=1279678499
The new KB Videos coming soon.

I'll volunteer as director or writer.

Just to be clear - in the context of an international project - what would a director do?  And by writer, you mean writing the screen play and the script?  Or just the script?

Aka Fox

A screenplay and script are the same are they not?

Yeah - sorry - I mean the dialogue.  The talking part.  Some people can make a great story but fumble on the right words to say on stage.

Aka Fox

You give me an outline and I'll write you a script.  There is a modest difference between a script and a screenplay; scripts are generally theatrical & screenplay is for film.  There are different types of screenplays, too.  Shooting screenplays, for instance, are camera-specific, and go into all the angles and views.  This is all semantics so I don't care if people say "script" for screenplay.

Who will outline the story?  Would you like me to write?  Email me at holdingourown "at" ymail "dot" com, anyone on this project.

https://vimeo.com/channels/holdingourown      http://holding-our-own.tumblr.com

"None practice tolerance less frequently than those who most loudly preach it."

What kind of film are you actually making? Do you have a clear idea yet, or do you just want to collaborate on something?

BTW I think this is great.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/ZoefDeHaas/stuff/sig1.png
"Nothing goes down 'less I'm involved. No nuggets. No onion rings. No nothin'. A cheeseburger gets sold in the park, I want in! You got fat while we starved on the streets...now it's my turn!" -Harley Morenstein

Kieren Barnett wrote:

...I hope that one day KB Videos will be an entire team, but time zones and all, I'm going to be sourcing my team from my city only.

I don't know why you would do that. If you had collaborators in (say) London, Perth, Australia and Chicago you could work round the clock. If you planned everything out carefully, you could finish projects in a third of the time...

jahnocli wrote:
Kieren Barnett wrote:

...I hope that one day KB Videos will be an entire team, but time zones and all, I'm going to be sourcing my team from my city only.

I don't know why you would do that. If you had collaborators in (say) London, Perth, Australia and Chicago you could work round the clock. If you planned everything out carefully, you could finish projects in a third of the time...

Because short films require a crew that can be hands on mini/tongue

I would love to be a writer. I have experience in working on collaborations. I work with a few others on my series "The Darkest Knight"(Still in pre-production) and I am directing HoldingOurOwn's "My Roommate Palpatine".

To make this work you need multiple animators. I've done calibrations where someone wrote and I did animation and everything else, and it just turns into a solo project, however a lot of my films were made where my friend and I both animated and he wrote music while I was working and I made sets or worked on effects while he was working, this worked quite well.

You need multiple animators so the film does not hang on the balence of 1 person. We are using LEGO so it can be easy for everyone to get the same minifigs. I feel for online collaborations it can help to use a existing IP to bring folks together, for instances years ago I was kicking around the idea of starting a community starwars project about some spice runners who ran onto some trouble with a hutt crime lord, it never saw the light of day but it would probably be easier to get a group excited to work on something they are already interest in.

I always like the idea of working with others and would be interested in writing the script
and even offering ideas.
I have a lot of stuff written in plot outline that still hasn't seen the light of the day.
So yeah count me in.
I love to write.
With so much social media to communicate back and forth like Skype
and FaceTime for examples there no reason why something like this could not
work.
Keep me posted.

I would love to help with the script, storyboard, or voice actor. But, I can't filming, since my LEGO and webcam is a good state away.

I'm also Bappy on Discord for those wondering.

This is an awesome response.

Anyone prepared to do audio or after effects?

I want to do a high action visually awesome lightsaber battle with careful correography and force pull/push.  What I don't have is a reason for the battle, so a story/plot is needed.  Thinking of ending on a cliff hanger or some deep and meaningful plot twist.

If yet another star wars movie bores you - understood.  The project needs to interest both of us.

Are a group of writes happy to collaborate and bounce ideas off each other?

Last edited by togfox (June 27, 2014 (04:48pm))

Aka Fox

Maybe with so much interest for the writing task, I'll just work on the animation part of it. If anyone is in Perth, or if anyone knows someone in Perth, then I'm happy to have them work with me on the animation. I have multiple cameras and plenty of table space for two people to animate. Even having another person or two helping out with set construction or moving pieces around. I'm happy to teach on the job too if no one feels their skills are up to scratch.

You know, you could separate scenes out and have different folks work on them.
(Like how this was done.) That would allow several animators to work on it without being in the same room.

For example:
Lab scene-Goofyboy101
Street scene-legolover47.6
Jail scene-Bobfilms

Also, you need to get a clear direction on the film and it's story pretty quick, so I suggest ya'll get any writers together and brainstorm as soon as ya'll can. A project like this falls apart fairly swiftly if that clear, strong focus is lacking.

What I'd be worried about is that someone films in really high quality, and someone else films in a much lower quality, and the difference is noticeable. It wouldn't feel like the same animation. We would have to pick and choose.

togfox wrote:

This is an awesome response.

Anyone prepared to do audio or after effects?

I want to do a high action visually awesome lightsaber battle with careful correography and force pull/push.  What I don't have is a reason for the battle, so a story/plot is needed.  Thinking of ending on a cliff hanger or some deep and meaningful plot twist.

If yet another star wars movie bores you - understood.  The project needs to interest both of us.

Are a group of writes happy to collaborate and bounce ideas off each other?

Put my name down bud.Ready anytime.

I have an idea. I am already actually scripting a feature length brickfilm. Maybe I could direct and write my idea, then get the help from the community here (as I already planned).

I think there are so many good brickfilmers in the community, and together as a community, we could make a great feature film. My idea is that the BiM and online community could be a second unit, although they actually end up doing most of the animating, and I'll find some friends and direct a main unit from over here.

I already have some animators, that in a perfect world, would help me with the project. This isn't everyone for fear I missed someone, but here's a select few that I'd love to have animating:

• Dylan Woodley

• Forrest Whaley

• Keshan

• Pritchard

• Jordan Johnson

I plan to go for funding when the script is complete, so the best animators wouldn't have a break from their work for nothing. Ideally, everyone would get paid for their work on this production, but I'm not sure how much of a grant I'd be able to get from the Australian government (they do have film grants though). Heck, if I got enough, I'd fly some of those animators so they can work over here.

So who's with me?

EDIT: If pre-production goes well, an additional grant could also come from Kickstarter too.