Topic: Coffee & Carnage

Directory Link

Coffee & Carnage

Coffee & Carnage

Three years in the making, six years on a dusty hard drive, and now here it is...

The tale of a small diner caught in the center of several interwoven stories.

WARNING: Language and bloody violence. Not for the eyes/ears of children and maybe even some grown men.

Re: Coffee & Carnage

Hells yes! I was just thinking about it earlier this week and thinking I would never get to see it, and then earlier today someone posted the link on Facebook and now it here in the directory!

So was there some unfinished editing or other post production that you just kept putting it off for 6 years, or maybe that 'missing reel' was something you felt you needed to animate but just never did? Anyway I'm glad you took the time to release this, it's really fun and it didn't drag, which I've been to film festivals that had sorter films feel like an eternity.

This is easily one of the best brickfilms I have seen all year. I love the writing and its sick twisted darkness.

Oh man oh man oh man. You should have seen how much I flipped out when I learned this was finally online.

This is a monumental brickfilm, RHE. I have to commend you not only on the scope, scale, and ambition of this, but the execution as well. It feels like an amalgamation of the most entertaining parts of classic grindhouse cinema; it could be the LEGO film answer to something like Pulp Fiction. Basically, you have your tone and atmosphere nailed down perfectly, in terms of the writing, pacing, and characterizations. Visually, it has one of the most distinctive looks I've ever seen in a brickfilm. I love the grungy look to the picture and lighting, which perfectly complements the whole B-movie feel of the film. And I haven't even mentioned how darkly hilarious the writing is - easily one of the funniest brickfilms I've ever seen. The voice acting is all pretty great - in particular, the monotone Bartender wrangled the most laughs from me.

Overwhelmingly happy to say this was absolutely worth the wait. Surely one of the all-time great brickfilms.

RHE sent this via PM because his account had not yet been approved (I have since fixed this) in reply to my comment

RHE wrote:

Ya the main reason it took 6 years is that I kept making changes to the script which kept altering scenes and dropping others and eventually my motivation tapped out. The missing reel is a 10 min segment that I never got around to animating. Glad you enjoyed it!

This was a really great film! I wasn't really expecting anything, since I wasn't around when this movie was announced/hyped, so I was definitely pleasantly surprised.

The film has a very distinct tone and atmosphere to it, and I found it to be one of the relatively few brickfilms that I felt truly immersed in while watching. This could be due to its longer length giving more time for immersion to develop, but this still isn't possible without great design.

Voice acting is all around really great. Nobody sounds real annoying and everyone did their parts really well.

Spoiler (click to read)

If I may ask, what was involved in the missing ten minutes? I don't know if I'm just dumb, but I got a bit derailed after suddenly cutting into that big chase and gun fight. I kind of grasp what happened, but a little extra detail would probably help.

Also, do you ever plan on finishing those missing minutes in some form? Maybe releasing a "Coffee & Carnage: Redux"? From how much praise the film is receiving, I think a lot of people would want it. People may even be willing to help you out with it.

All around, this is a really great film, a great demonstration of how Brickfilm stands among other forms of animation as a legitimate vehicle to tell stories just as good as any other. While it may not be to everyone's taste, you have truly made a great film, one that will definitely be talked about among the greats for a long time to come.

Bravo.

https://i.imgur.com/gGaR9Oz.png
Youtube @TheRealSonjira I consider it a personal defeat if my pee is not perfectly clear every time.]

This at first stuck me as a clear distinction to the simple, jolly brickfilms that are made in abundance now. For the first ten minutes, I really wasn't enjoying it, but once I became accustomed to the dark, comedic tone, the film became quite enjoyable. The dialogue was fantastic, as was the lighting; they set the mood perfectly. This isn't something I could see myself producing, but it is a phenomenal film nevertheless.

YouTube Channel Edmeier Animation
Email: [email protected]

Missing Reel Spoiler:

Spoiler (click to read)

The missing reel shows the two guys in the car bringing Biff Senior to the hospital. On the journey there, the Good Samaritan guy persuades Mike to put Biff Senior in the back seat. Biff Senior then vomits blood all over Mike who is driving.
He swerves and crashes into a bus packed full of the coffee cult (Coffee Collectors) who are on their way to the Cantina to fulfill their destiny in possessing the worlds coffee that they will drink in heavy amounts to bring about spiritual revelations.
In the crash, everyone dies except for the Good Samaritan who was wearing a seat belt and the Coffee Cult leader who  was the only one wearing his helmet.
The Coffee Collector's arm is badly injured and starts bleeding out. Out of great anger he begins to chase the Good Samaritan down, shooting wildly but hitting only adjacent pedestrians.
The chase scene between the two was planned to be very long and drawn out, running through the streets, super markets, movie theater, etc...
Another small missing scene is the Coffee Collector returning to the crash sight after the chase scene, his vehicle is destroyed, but the Good Samaritans car still works, so he decides to drive it to the Cantina.

An instant classic, and a true masterpiece of brickfilming. Utterly fantastic work, it's been worth the wait.

https://i.imgur.com/1JxY79v.png

im in love with this

haven't enjoyed a brickfilm like this in so long

really good

what could have been: jeffrey and the old man make some robots
                      art page -- tumblr --youtube
              bricksinmotion's #13th best curmudgeon

That was awesome, really great job. Thank you for clarifying the missing part, it makes a whole lot more sense now. I honestly have no critique, the film is exactly what it is and it is perfect at being that thing. A classic, for sure. mini/yes

This is fantastic! The writing is some of the best I have ever seen in a brickfilm, the dialogue especially. I absolutely love how strangely comical and twisting the dialogue is; it reminds me of some of the weirder scenes from Lynch's films. It is excellent to see something like that in a brickfilm. The entire script feels very professional; the slow pace, the strange actions and reactions of the characters, the nonlinear narrative. The gore feels like a mix between Tarantino and Taxi Driver, and it is very compelling. The visual tone is absolutely glamorous, I especially love the shots outside the Cantina. The general orange-type color really creates a charming atmosphere. Awesome job on this! One of the most unique and entertaining brickfilms I have seen in a while.

YouTube | Twitter 

http://i1106.photobucket.com/albums/h364/sfugity/bimTMIRABbanner_zps0970ba17.png
Currently going for the "Most Inactive" BiM award.

That was fantastic. I loved the writing, story, and acting.

Don't see many brickfilms like these these days.

A Life? Cool! Where can I download one of those from?

What can I say? This is incredible. I hope my writing can be as good as yours.

Only just saw it now, absolutely phenomenal work. I don't like to throw that word around a lot when it comes to brickfilms, but this really is a huge achievement in both scale and quality of execution.

The writing is dark and hilarious, the tone is extremely far out of the usual brickfilm, the characters are memorable and enjoyable all around, and there's something about the atmosphere here that is so rarely present in any other brickfilms that I can't describe, it's so calming and comfy yet at the same time there's all of this violent stuff going on.

My only gripe is that the beginning bit, although hilarious, didn't really tie into anything later, at least I didn't notice it, maybe something for repeat viewings. One thing I thought would be a flaw is how initially I thought some scenes dragged unnecessarily, until later it was revealed how they were all connected.

Truly great work, I hope you continue to make more stuff of this caliber, only hopefully in less time, we need more of these.

http://i.imgur.com/WAr6hHC.png
BRAWL 2013 ENTRY Quack In Time
"Why in the world did you do a weird language if you know English?" - tenny1028