Topic: Has anyone seen this? (Greenpeace video)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhbliUq0_r4

What are your thoughts?

- Available to compose for any upcoming projects -

Re: Has anyone seen this? (Greenpeace video)

Aw man. Saw this a few days ago and I still don't really know how to respond. I agree with the message of the video (to an extent) but anything that uses a sensationalist 'grab' title immediately makes me queazy.

Brilliantly executed though.

Before I knew what the video was about, my first thought was "man, I want all of that LEGO".

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/ZoefDeHaas/stuff/sig1.png
"Nothing goes down 'less I'm involved. No nuggets. No onion rings. No nothin'. A cheeseburger gets sold in the park, I want in! You got fat while we starved on the streets...now it's my turn!" -Harley Morenstein

Very cool video but it does feel silly to me because LEGO hasn't produced Shell sets since 1999. A handful of small, non-wide release Ferrari sets had some Shell logos in 2013. It feels entirely like an attention grab to me in that light, because they're making an accusation that isn't really true.

Also, LEGO's ABS plastic is made out of oil. So LEGO supporting oil companies is unavoidable in some fashion.

http://i.imgur.com/wcmcdmf.png

Neat video, but I remember getting shell legos years ago.  I don't get why it's all of a sudden a problem.  Are they making more?

Edit: I just looked it up and I guess that they are making 6 new sets that aren't available in the US, or most other countries yet.

Last edited by Greenshirt (July 10, 2014 (12:41pm))

It might be the most tasteful publicity stunt Green Peace has done in a while, considering their history of publicity stunts. But they do tend to be big on feelings and light on facts.

How is Shell polluting our kids imaginations? I was honestly surprised that big oil was essential the villain of The LEGO Movie, they even have a really nice bicycle shop set out right now, I don't feel like LEGO is over representing cars (and I am saying this as someone who doesn't own one are rides bicycles for everything) I have the LEGO collection that came from 3 or four families and I don't think I even have a single shell part.

Saw this linked before over at Eurobricks, but hadn't bothered to watch it until now.
Technically, it's a good short and makes the message they want to convey clear.
The models are impressive, and it's depressing thinking of having to clean all of that afterwards.
BUT, they are going about it in the wrong way.

Lego doesn't have anything to do with Shell's policies and practices.
Even if they cut ties, it wouldn't change a thing. So why go after the loving, wonderful toy giant instead of the "real problem?" And Lego has even posted a comment saying basically the same thing. Assuming, without any more details, that this really is a problem and not a truly great thing that is getting attacked for no real reason.

Of course, I support trying to keep our planet from being drowned in a sea of black paint, but I don't agree with a lot of environmental groups. And don't know enough details on this particular case to pass much of a judgement. That being said, I've always liked Shell, if for no other reason than the name.

Coming from Greenpeace, this video is absurd, but nothing surprising.  At least they have the $$$ to have high production values.  By the by, last night, I watched the Lego Movie.  My review (1/2 written) coming soon.

https://vimeo.com/channels/holdingourown      http://holding-our-own.tumblr.com

"None practice tolerance less frequently than those who most loudly preach it."

Shell is polluting people's imagination with LEGO?  Better start brickfilming with a tinfoil hat.

Really, this is no better than when that Muslim group tried to claim that LEGO's Jabba's Palace set was racist...

Retribution (3rd place in BRAWL 2015)

&Smeagol      make the most of being surrounded by single, educated women your own age on a regular basis in college
AquaMorph    I dunno women are expensive

Sméagol wrote:

Very cool video but it does feel silly to me because LEGO hasn't produced Shell sets since 1999. A handful of small, non-wide release Ferrari sets had some Shell logos in 2013.

If I'm correct, weren't these sets only available at shell gas stations? Yeah know, the LEAST likely place anyone ever would buy a LEGO set? Even I, who usually keeps tabs on all the new or exclusive sets coming out all the time, was unaware of these sets until yesterday. How the heck is some little kid going to know this? And after that, go out of their way to buy the set unless they were already super into racing and stuff.

I could feel their complaints having more weight if LEGO used shell as the stock image to put on oil or energy related products like they used to but since they don't do this anymore, I don't really see this going anywhere.

https://i.imgur.com/gGaR9Oz.png
Youtube @TheRealSonjira I consider it a personal defeat if my pee is not perfectly clear every time.]

Right.

Greenpeace literally took an Octan truck and substituted one of those Shell pieces onto the front of it. Dishonest.

http://i.imgur.com/wcmcdmf.png

Putting politics/enviromental issues aside, I don't like this video.

I just kind of wish that companies and organizations didn't have to make everything an advertisement/piece of propaganda for something. I don't care what your cause is and whether or not I support it or whether or not its right. LEGO should be one of those things kids can use to see the world the way they want it. Imagination can be used as a way to escape the real world and live in your own. What Shell and other companies does with their oil may be a controversial issues, but they aren't hurting much by partnering with LEGO, so.... I mean, if anyone is polluting kids imagination, its the people who try to shove their political opinions into toys and stuff.

This way a very well-done video though. I thought the use of the song was clever. The megablocks made me gag, they are never gonna get LEGO to end their partnership by using 3rd party brands.

no more brickfilming *sad face*.

FlyingMinifig wrote:

Shell is polluting people's imagination with LEGO?  Better start brickfilming with a tinfoil hat.

Better stick to black-wrap, that tin foil is going to cause hella light flicker.

Did they take the video down? I was going to rewatch it, but I got an error. mini/confused

LASF wrote:

Did they take the video down? I was going to rewatch it, but I got an error. mini/confused

It appears they did.

"LEGO: Everything..." This video is no longer available due to a copyright claim by Warner Bros. Entertainment.

"I wear black even when I'm not animating. I'm like a walking funeral parlor."
-PushOverProductions

LASF wrote:

It says Warner Brothers took it down for copyright reasons (probably because the video kinda used "Everything is Awesome" without permission).

Legocloniac477 wrote:
LASF wrote:

It appears they did.

"LEGO: Everything..." This video is no longer available due to a copyright claim by Warner Bros. Entertainment.

Yep, I was on my phone so it didn't say why it wouldn't load. I had to check on my computer.

PushOverProductions wrote:

LEGO should be one of those things kids can use to see the world the way they want it. Imagination can be used as a way to escape the real world and live in your own. What Shell and other companies does with their oil may be a controversial issues, but they aren't hurting much by partnering with LEGO, so.... I mean, if anyone is polluting kids imagination, its the people who try to shove their political opinions into toys and stuff.

Pretty much nailed it. Seriously, no one thought that this was an issue until it was made one. But hey, in the end this campaign will probably just go the way of a mini-KONY 2012. Get a little viral, make some noise on the interwebs,  then everybody stops caring and goes on with their lives.

https://i.imgur.com/gGaR9Oz.png
Youtube @TheRealSonjira I consider it a personal defeat if my pee is not perfectly clear every time.]

What's I find surprising is that LEGO plans 100% of energy will be renewable by 2020 (source); and that in the recently released arctic sets, LEGO says this on their website:

LEGO wrote:

But everyone in Camp knows they mustn’t hurt the Polar Bear if they can avoid it. Polar Bears are a ‘vulnerable’ species because so much of their habitat is melting away!

Source

I really don't know why LEGO is being attacked by Greenpeace like this. I agree that there's environmental problems out there with oil, but is LEGO really the company Greenpeace should be targeting? I think they've gone too far. They started out with good intentions, but they've become too big for their core message if they're worried about a relatively small business deal between LEGO and an oil company.

http://www.cxpulp.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=874&d=1279678499
The new KB Videos coming soon.

The vid is easy to source elsewhere.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news … go-3833637

I don't think the song breaches copyright - its a cover - or a remake.  It was probably the likeness of Emmet and WildStyle used without permission (and by likeness, I mean it IS Emmet and Wildstyle).

Aka Fox
Youtube: My channel   Twitter: @animationantics
Best brick films: My selection

I don't find any real reason to leave a comment, since everything has already been said, and I've already taken the discussion into a second page. But, who is Greenpeace to think that LEGO is poisoning the minds of children? That's a bit much, even for a hippie environmentalist group.

Not that there's anything wrong with hippie environmentalist groups. I mean, kids are very susceptible to their surroundings. But, I highly doubt that polluting the Arctic is the first thing that comes to mind when they see a mere LEGO brick.

Sonjira wrote:

But hey, in the end this campaign will probably just go the way of a mini-KONY 2012. Get a little viral, make some noise on the interwebs,  then everybody stops caring and goes on with their lives.

I agree. Hopefully it will just end up on the news, just like this one, and after awhile, it blows over and no one cares anymore.

FlyingMinifig wrote:

when that Muslim group tried to claim that LEGO's Jabba's Palace set was racist...

Wha? They did that? Ha, that's hilarious! People can get so worked up over nothing sometimes...

Have you seen a big-chinned boy?