Topic: Best free or cheapest animation program for a DSLR

Hey guys as many of you already know I just bought a DSLR and really like it. But one thing I really miss is not being able to see my animation in till I import it and such. So I'm wondering if any of you know about a good program for animating with a DSLR thats free or not to pricey.

Thanks
OsomStudios

This world is a dark place. One day I will see my Savior face to face.
My Youtube

Re: Best free or cheapest animation program for a DSLR

That depends. DSLR is a very generic term. What brand is your DRLS? What's it's model number? Those are the two most important things we need to know in order to recommend a program to you.

For Nikon, I recommend DigiCamControl. It isn't really a stop-motion software, but it is a tethering program. You can plug a USB cable from your camera to your computer and capture using the software. If your camera supports it, it will do live view. If not, it just captures. I use my Num Pad to control the program. I click capture once, then I can press Enter on the num pad and (with num lock turned off) press 4 and 6 to go back and forward in the sequence of images.

As for Cannon, I hear that the software bundled with your camera will work. It's called the Cannon EOS Utility. It does tethering, but I do not know much more about it.

There's also dedicated stop motion software like Stop Motion Pro, Stopmotion Studio 4.0, and AnimatorHD.

YouTubeWebsite
https://bricksafe.com/files/rioforce/internet-images/RioforceBiMSig.png
"Whatever you do, do all to the glory of God." - 1 Corinthians 10:31b

rioforce wrote:

That depends. DSLR is a very generic term. What brand is your DRLS? What's it's model number? Those are the two most important things we need to know in order to recommend a program to you.

For Nikon, I recommend DigiCamControl. It isn't really a stop-motion software, but it is a tethering program. You can plug a USB cable from your camera to your computer and capture using the software. If your camera supports it, it will do live view. If not, it just captures. I use my Num Pad to control the program. I click capture once, then I can press Enter on the num pad and (with num lock turned off) press 4 and 6 to go back and forward in the sequence of images.

As for Cannon, I hear that the software bundled with your camera will work. It's called the Cannon EOS Utility. It does tethering, but I do not know much more about it.

There's also dedicated stop motion software like Stop Motion Pro, Stopmotion Studio 4.0, and AnimatorHD.

Oh sorry. Thanks. I have the canon T3i and a mac. Also I do use IOS utilities and I like it. But it is really hard for me to animate dialogue wen I can't see what I have done. Thats really why I would like to get animation software.

Thanks a ton
OsomStudios

This world is a dark place. One day I will see my Savior face to face.
My Youtube

Stop Motion Pro scans a folder/directory on your c: drive for the presence of a new image.  It will then automatically add that image to your timeline, meaning, if you can find software to dump a new image onto your computer then SMP will import that automagically.

I don't know if it will do live view though - which is essential for onion skinning.  I know when I start SMP I get a drop down of imaging devices to choose from so perhaps it will do a live view for DSLR.  Never tried it.  SMP has a list of supported camera's and I know its very Canon heavy.  I know you're on a budget but entry level is $50 and I'm guessing you'd get value for money as you'd use it a lot.  mini/smile

Edit:

The $50 version has directory scan.  The $99 version has directory scan with video assist.  I'm not sure what that means as I don't own a DSLR.  The upgrade path from the $50 product to the $99 product is as simple as typing in a new software unlock key. 

If your camera is a EOS 600D (Rebel T3i, Kiss X5)  then live view is supported in the $99 version - which is prolly outside your budget, and full onion skinning for $189 - which is outside even my budget.

The other option is to try the free versions like MonkeyJam but I don't like your chances.

Last edited by togfox (July 15, 2014 (06:45pm))

Aka Fox
Youtube: My channel   Twitter: @animationantics
Best brick films: My selection

I find that Dragonframe works the best, but that's a little pricey. If you're going to spend any money on a program, give Dragonframe a trial, and get that rather than wasting money on a program you will probably upgrade from in the future.

http://www.cxpulp.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=874&d=1279678499
The new KB Videos coming soon.

I recommend AnimaShooter Capture:

http://www.animashooter.com/