Topic: Brick- A Brickfilm Festival

Hey everyone, I (Christian Gentry, Gentry Studios)  am co-hosting a brickfilming festival(alongside brickfilmers: RedRocketFilms, JakeLEGOFilms, and Thresh6), and I would love for you to enter! Yes, prizes will be provided! Note: This is NOT a contest, but a festival. You enter “already-made” projects. It's an easy way for brickfilmers to win some prizes!

What?: Brick is a festival for brickfilmers only. Where brickfilms compete for four ultimate titles (and prizes!).
What are the rules?: If your film does not follow the rules, then it will not be eligible:

When is the entry deadline?: Your film must be submitted and accepted by November 2nd, 2014 at 12:00PM EST.

1.    The film must have been made after January 1st, 2013.
2.    The film is not allowed to have been made for this festival, but for other purposes only.
3.    You are not allowed to enter more than 1 (one) film in this festival.
4.    Your  film must have no profanity, explicit and/or unnecessary language, and sexual content.
5.    Your film’s time limits are 1:00 minute to 10:00 minutes. If your film is under one minute, or over 10:00 minutes, it will not be eligible for the festival.
6.    The age restriction is ages 10-18. There is really no way we can determine your age, so be fair and don’t cheat your way in.
7.    You are allowed to enter a section of a longer brickfilm that you’ve finished, just make sure it tells a story of its own, for the judges’ sake (and yours’!).
8.    You are allowed to enter a trailer for a film (released or un-released), but not a section of a trailer, for you will then be disqualified.
9.    Any genre is acceptable, except for film noir. That genre is not allowed
10.    The judges have every right to disqualify an entry on behalf of their discretion.
11.    HAVE FUN! This is a way to raise awareness towards the art of brickfilming, and to discover new artists in the realm of brickfilming.

Will there be category awards?: Yes! There will be given those little images you put in your films to show how awesome the festival loved your entry! The Categories are:
1.    “The Brick” award – Basically “best” overall film, decided by the judges.
2.    Best Cinematography – The film with the best overall composition (Lighting, Color, Dynamic Range, etc).
3.    Best Story – The film that had the best script (story).
4.    Best Sound Design – The film with the best SFX, Voice-overs, Music, etc.

Alright, what are the prizes?:
The first place (winner of “Brick” award) prize is the LEGO Creator TreeHouse!
Second Place (winner of best cinematography) will be LEGO Mixel Set
Third Place (winner of best story) will be several LEGO magazines and books (provided by RRF)
And finally, the fourth place (winner of best sound design) prize will be two minifigures used in a Gentry Studios animation!

Does that mean I have to give you my address?: If you are one of the four winners, then yes. Please don’t give us your address unless we contact you saying that you won one of the titles. Without your address, your prize will be given to the next person eligible! Please, U.S. residents only!
So, how do I enter?: To enter, you must send an email of the YouTube (or Vimeo) link of your video to [email protected] . Please type in the subject of the email “EXAMPLE NAME – A Brick Festival Entry” (for the sake of your email (entry) not getting lost), and please put the link to the video in the message box.

How does judging work?: The judges will be mainly focusing on Story, Cinematography, Sound Design, Lighting, and Clarity(FPS). The judges decide the quality of each panel on a 1-10 scale, and then tallying up the points for the total score or "grade".

So I gotta question, email????: Please send all questions to [email protected] with a subject entitled “ Brick Festival Question”.
Number of Entries 4

Last edited by Gentry Studios (July 24, 2014 (04:20am))

Twitter | Instagram | YouTube Channel | Tumblr | My Weekly Film Podcast!
"For I am NOT ashamed of the Gospel of Christ" - Romans 1:16

Re: Brick- A Brickfilm Festival

Some concerns:

#1, Why 10-18? I know of several members that have or soon will turn 19 this year. (Like me!) Why would you disqualify them, as well as leave out perfectly fine older folks?

#2, Why not film noir? What's better about horror/comedy/adventure/any other genre that they can participate?

#3, You call this a film festival, will there be a public viewing somewhere, or a special online presentation, or what? Will you be showing/using these films in ways that we need to know about? Like promoting your own channels with the films, or anything else like that?

#4, The prizes. The sets are cool, but most of us don't need or want more Lego Magazines, though depending on the books it may be decent. And is the last one getting two figures, or having two of whatever design featured in your films? Either way, it's just a weird prize, so why not spring for another Mixel or CMF and make it a bit more desirable.
If there's not money for that, do a cheaper set for #1, and use the savings to beef up the others. Maybe shop around and try to get stuff on sale as well. If you're going to do prizes, it doesn't take that much to give everybody attractive ones.

#5, Is copyrighted content allowed, and if so, to what extent?

1) Too restrictive.
2) Too disorganized.
3) Bizarre judging criteria.
4) Unnecessary.

Pritchard Studios wrote:

Some concerns:

#1, Why 10-18? I know of several members that have or soon will turn 19 this year. (Like me!) Why would you disqualify them, as well as leave out perfectly fine older folks?

#2, Why not film noir? What's better about horror/comedy/adventure/any other genre that they can participate?

#3, You call this a film festival, will there be a public viewing somewhere, or a special online presentation, or what? Will you be showing/using these films in ways that we need to know about? Like promoting your own channels with the films, or anything else like that?

#4, The prizes. The sets are cool, but most of us don't need or want more Lego Magazines, though depending on the books it may be decent. And is the last one getting two figures, or having two of whatever design featured in your films? Either way, it's just a weird prize, so why not spring for another Mixel or CMF and make it a bit more desirable.
If there's not money for that, do a cheaper set for #1, and use the savings to beef up the others. Maybe shop around and try to get stuff on sale as well. If you're going to do prizes, it doesn't take that much to give everybody attractive ones.

#5, Is copyrighted content allowed, and if so, to what extent?

Pritchard, you and other turning 19 this year will be allowed! We put that just as something for younger animators to have a chance, especially some that are just starting out. the reason is film noir occasionally blends in with sexual content. That's the reason. any other genre is fine. We are trying to setup right now a online presentation, but not local. We will be promoting the 4 winners' channels after the festival ends. Please stay away from copyright material like music and images.

Couldn't any genre occasionally blend in with sexual content? This seems like a strange reason to ignore their individual content and ban all noir films.

sillypenta wrote:

Couldn't any genre occasionally blend in with sexual content? This seems like a strange reason to ignore their individual content and ban all noir films.

Yes, but film noir is normally swayed by sexual content. Just be creative and display noir in your own way!

Nathan Wells wrote:

1) Too restrictive.
2) Too disorganized.
3) Bizarre judging criteria.
4) Unnecessary.

Unfortunately, I have to agree. Especially on #1.

I'm already out. I'm canadian.

A brickfilm festival is good on paper, but this one is way too restrictive, and is hardy a festival setup. It's pretty much prizes given out to good films (if they're not restricted by conditions). Most brickfilmers here don't animate for the prize, they animate because they love to challenge themselves.

http://www.cxpulp.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=874&d=1279678499
The new KB Videos coming soon.

Thanks but no thanks. I'll stick to helping out David Pagano with his Brickfilm Festival.

At least it's a legit event.

A Life? Cool! Where can I download one of those from?

I'm not sure if this would work. Not only is the setup a little confusing and misleading, but it might also turn away many hopeful entrants of other nationalities. I hate to make this accusation, but...

Well, at least, a little bit. I know some very talented non-American brickfilmers, and you're simply excluding them from this festival.

Have you seen a big-chinned boy?

Mickey wrote:

I'm not sure if this would work. Not only is the setup a little confusing and misleading, but it might also turn away many hopeful entrants of other nationalities. I hate to make this accusation, but...

Well, at least, a little bit. I know some very talented non-American brickfilmers, and you're simply excluding them from this festival.

I too know many non-American brickfilmers, but due to the money it costs myself and the other prize-givers, it just wasn't possible to ship them to residents outside the US.