Topic: Liftoff! 1985 Super 8 format posted on Reddit

http://www.reddit.com/r/Brickfilms/comm … from_1985/

I've also suggested this goes into the archival project.

Aka Fox
Youtube: My channel   Twitter: @animationantics
Best brick films: My selection

Re: Liftoff! 1985 Super 8 format posted on Reddit

Maybe you should link to here instead:

http://liftoffmovie.net/ (It's his official site instead of having to go through two sites)

That is an excellent film! So much life in it. I just love classics. If I had an old film video camra (and money for bricks and film developing), I'd make a new film in the classic style. (Ya know, the old camera and the film to make it look authentic). Anyway, I'm glad I watched that, it's great. mini/smile

YouTubeWebsite
https://bricksafe.com/files/rioforce/internet-images/RioforceBiMSig.png
"Whatever you do, do all to the glory of God." - 1 Corinthians 10:31b

This film is the best. The celluloid is so beautiful, nothing today compares. Thanks for sharing.

There really is something so charming about Super-8/celluloid films that just attracts me so much. Even though I'm incredibly unprepared/unqualified for it, I feel like some day it may be a fun exercise to make a brickfilm on film, just to get an idea of how it was once done.

https://i.imgur.com/gGaR9Oz.png
Youtube @TheRealSonjira I consider it a personal defeat if my pee is not perfectly clear every time.]

That is way cool. I'd love to make an animation on film, just for the fun of it. mini/smile

This is a real beaut. The antiquated feel of the film gives a humble texture of how it was once done. It's remarkably done, considering this was once all they had. Glad this is going down in the archives.

Have you seen a big-chinned boy?

I love it.
It has a great feel to it, and it's great to see this piece of brickfilming history recovered.
Also, nice to learn that bit about TeeVee from Alpha Team.

This is seriously a beautiful watch. The celluloid just makes it all feel like a real film, and I think LEGO fits film perfectly.

I'm curious to know, what does everyone here think about the film vs. digital war? Would you guys be interested in seeing brickfilms shot on film more often? Really the only brickfilms I can name off the top of my head that I know were shot on film are The Magic Portal, Journey to the Moon, and now this one.

Of course, the obvious reason why brickfilming primarily runs on digital is most likely because most brickfilmers of today are surrounded by mostly cheap digital cameras and softwares that provide quick and easy ways to create brickfilms. Film on the other hand is, in today's world, a much more complex and professional way of filmmaking, so the brickfilming population, which consists majorly of teenagers and children, has no way of even being able to use this system. It is also far more expensive, and I believe Kodak stopped producing 8mm film in 2012, which is really the cheapest celluloid, so there's that too.

I recently purchased a Keystone XL500 8mm film Camera and a Kodak Tri-X Reversal 8mm Film cartridge (which I hope hasn't expired yet, since I can't find a date on the box), for an overall price of only about 30 - 40 dollars. I already have a lot of ideas about using it in brickfilming in some way, but I have yet to try it out.

YouTube | Twitter 

http://i1106.photobucket.com/albums/h364/sfugity/bimTMIRABbanner_zps0970ba17.png
Currently going for the "Most Inactive" BiM award.

@Tobias I think that it's not that film is not used because it's mostly teenagers and children, nor is is more professional. It's an era gone by. It's just much more practical to use digital. Even professional film companies like Lucasfilm doesn't use film anymore. Film is harder to develop and more expensive too. I think film looks great, because it's classic, but we are in a new age now, and film is much harder to get a hold of, and harder to get developed. I think we all want to make a movie on film, but like I said, digital is much more practical and inexpensive.

YouTubeWebsite
https://bricksafe.com/files/rioforce/internet-images/RioforceBiMSig.png
"Whatever you do, do all to the glory of God." - 1 Corinthians 10:31b

I'm a wowzer.  I'd hate using that format.  So time consuming and totally unforgiving.  I'd rather apply digital effects (Sepia effect anyone?) and just accept it looks only about 90% as good as the real thing.  mini/sunnies

Aka Fox
Youtube: My channel   Twitter: @animationantics
Best brick films: My selection

Oh wow, that is amazing.  Watching that gives me this wonderful warm feeling inside.  I think it basically reminds everyone of why they used to play with LEGO and brings back memories of their childhood.

Even though the animation isn't the best, it feels surprisingly natural and "lived-in".  There's also surprisingly little light flicker, though that could be due to film being possibly less sensitive to light. (I'm not really sure if that is the case, but I'd assume so.)

rioforce wrote:

@Tobias I think that it's not that film is not used because it's mostly teenagers and children, nor is is more professional. It's an era gone by. It's just much more practical to use digital. Even professional film companies like Lucasfilm doesn't use film anymore. Film is harder to develop and more expensive too. I think film looks great, because it's classic, but we are in a new age now, and film is much harder to get a hold of, and harder to get developed. I think we all want to make a movie on film, but like I said, digital is much more practical and inexpensive.

I don't really think that there's anything necessarily more "professional" about film, and that there's a film vs digital "war" going on.  The simple reason that not many people use film anymore is that it's an old technology that has been superseded by cheaper, more convenient forms of recording--just like nobody uses VHS tapes or Sony Walkmans anymore (and, increasingly, camcorders, as people now use smartphones).  It's not just people in general, professionals have moved to digital as well--in fact, most cinemas have scrapped their film projectors, and fired the projectionists who had the skills needed to project celluloid films.  Still, there are professionals who advocate the use of film.  [I actually recently learned an interesting fact regarding the film/digital--for want of a better word--debate: Christopher Nolan likes using 35mm film, and even specifically requested that UK cinemas show Interstellar in that format if possible.  As it turns out, there are only 7 cinemas in the entirety of the UK which are still capable of showing 35mm film.  Which goes to show how things have changed, or something like that.]

In short, I think that both analogue and digital forms of recording have their place--it really depends what effect you're going for, and what budget you have.  I definitely would like to see more brickfilms (and live-action films) shot on film, though; if nothing else it would be an interesting challenge, though I fully understand why few people use film (expensive, no live view, no instant replay, etc.).  If I had the money and time, shooting on film is definitely something I would like to explore, though at this point I don't really see it being practical for me, or most of us here, for that matter (unless for some reason we happen to have any successful Hollywood directors or secret millionaires lurking amongst the forums...)

Last edited by Mr Vertigo (November 1, 2014 (09:11am))

Retribution (3rd place in BRAWL 2015)

&Smeagol      make the most of being surrounded by single, educated women your own age on a regular basis in college
AquaMorph    I dunno women are expensive

I don't blame you since it's not often we get two old films posted at once, but I think you meant to post that in this thread!