Topic: Bioshock - Discussion Thread

Now, I know it technically isn't a "film," but I believe it demands discussion. I just finished my first play through of the game Bioshock, and I would be interested to see what others think about its various facets; is it simple entertainment, or a criticism of the Humanist worldview? M-rated shooter, or Morality play?

Then there's the film-like feel of the story arc. With a plot twist as good as any film, and a decent amount of characterization and backstory, Bioshock is certainly the most movie like game I've ever tried (the only one, in fact).

What does anyone else think of it?

(Disclaimer: The following will undoubtedly contain !spoilers!; please be advised and proceed at your own risk)
mini/lol

Now available to score films. https://soundcloud.com/guy-commanderson

"Contrary to the old saying, the trick is not to expect but accept the unexpec..." ~ Rick Rascal

Re: Bioshock - Discussion Thread

This forum is focused on General Film Discussion (thus the name), and this thread is off-topic. Unfortunately, at the moment, there really isn't a place on Bricks in Motion to hold this discussion except the Community forum, which is private.

If the Community forum is opened up again in the near future, this thread will be moved there and unlocked.

Nathan Wells wrote:

If the Community forum is opened up again in the near future, this thread will be moved there and unlocked.

BAM

http://i.imgur.com/wcmcdmf.png

I just started playing Bioshock Infinite, and it's pretty good so far.

Pah! System Shock is where it's at.

Despite the fact that Bioshock is basically System Shock 2 but underwater, years afterwards I've developed a respect for the game. It tackles the 'shock' formula from a broader, analytical perspective rather than an Alien perspective. The idea that, rather than the horror coming from an alien species, the horror was created by us is interesting (except of course SHODAN was created by us and the annelids were created by SHODAN, but shush). Not to mention, considering how I'm living in a country that continually seems to reward the richest 8% of the population and no-one else, it's extremely cathartic to see a gathering of societies elite crumble in on itself.

This all being said, I'm probably the only person who thinks that Bioshock Infinite is a marked improvement. It did to Bioshock what Deus Ex did to System Shock 2 - pushing the series from survival horror into rompy action with a holey yet completely insane plot. Aside from the Half Life series, its probably the most film-like game I've ever played. It was by far the best blockbuster of 2013.

YouTube
Max, She/They

Wait isn't there a Video Games topic.

Anyway, Bioshock 1 was good and 2 was alright, but Infinite was terrible in my opinion. Poor gunplay and an absolutely moronic story to boot, it seems that most of the praise it got was out of review sites feeling they had to act as if it was the second coming of Jesus simply because it attempted to touch on some mature themes.

If you want a decent breakdown of the shortcomings of Infinite, I'd recommend this video. Just issuing a little caution that he does say the n word but he uses it in relation to how the game portrays its themes of racism rather than using it in an actual direct way.

http://i.imgur.com/WAr6hHC.png
BRAWL 2013 ENTRY Quack In Time
"Why in the world did you do a weird language if you know English?" - tenny1028