Topic: 2015 Community Brickfilm Project Discussion

Currently looking for community input!
Fellow community members! We are currently looking for community input. If you are a member of Bricks in Motion, and want to help us out on this community project, please click the link below to take out short survey concerning the project. All ideas are welcome. This survey may not last very long (probably only two weeks), so try to post your ideas fast! mini/sunnies

Click here to take the survey

-----

Hey guys! I hope I've been watching the old community project videos from Brickfilms.com and Bricks in Motion, and have regretted not getting into the brickfilming community years earlier so I could participate in those. The past is the past, but there is nothing preventing us from starting another community project! While many community projects have failed, lets try to make this one succeed, shall we? mini/wink

Some things I have learned from this topic:

• The film needs to have a story, not just be a montage video. It needs to be something unique, that no one person could have done on their own. Something that only a community of people could have created together.

• We can use the same characters over multiple animators, as long as they are simple enough, or as long as the parts for the minifigure are not too expensive on Bricklink or in a current LEGO set.

• As the producer, I have the right to say no to people. So, please do not get personally offended if I tell you that you do not fit a certain job. There may be other ways to help.

• This community project needs to be fun, so we are not going to spoil the story to all of the users of the community. The writers will write it, then the animators will animate, then the editor will edit, and the music producer will compose, but the general community will not be told the story ahead of time to prevent spoilers and make it more fun for everybody.

• There are certain teams for each task. Like I said above, there is a team for writing, animating, editing, composing, and other things that may be done. I will use this topic as a call for team members, not for idea collaboration (though, if you do have a story idea, please suggest now while we are still writing the story).

The point of this topic:

The point of this topic is to call for community members. You may post your ideas here, but the topic is going to be used mostly as a call for community members.

I am planning of head-starting (a.k.a. Producing this community project if it ever gets off the ground (and if the staff agree), so please, don't create topics based on your idea for a community project, because we all need to be on board with this thing or else it would never go anywhere. mini/wink

-rioforce

Last edited by rioforce (January 24, 2015 (02:16pm))

YouTubeWebsite
https://bricksafe.com/files/rioforce/internet-images/RioforceBiMSig.png
"Whatever you do, do all to the glory of God." - 1 Corinthians 10:31b

Re: 2015 Community Brickfilm Project Discussion

I would love to see another story-based community project, even as in a loose concept connecting the clips like in The Day Brickfilms.com Crashed. I would like to see community projects move away from "brickfilming is cool" songs as 12 Joys sounded like a bit of a rehash of Brickfilming is Just Awesome to me.

Also, mandatory warning that community projects are incredibly difficult and almost always fail goes here. It's worth a try with a good idea and reliable crew, but there is so much to go wrong and it would require a very careful approach.

I do agree that it'd be interesting if the project was a narrative film, as opposed to what Brickfilming Is Just Awesome was about. If we are going to go with a fictional film though, it is going to take a lot of planning in order for everyone to love the plot and the screenplay.

The thing that worked with BIJA was the fact that Hazzat was in charge, and he is definitely a very reliable person that everyone could count on, so there was never any confusion or really any chance of the project falling into the abyss.

I personally think that it'd be great to have the film revolve around a fun and original idea; not just plot-wise, but generally storytelling-wise. Something that would really be worth the time and that would actually incorporate the idea of a community project in the storytelling, and not something that, once it was finished, you could say that it would only take one person to create the film.

YouTube | Twitter 

http://i1106.photobucket.com/albums/h364/sfugity/bimTMIRABbanner_zps0970ba17.png
Currently going for the "Most Inactive" BiM award.

I agree Tobias, and Penta. Those are very good points. While reading your replies, I came up with a couple of storylines. Not sure if they would work, though, as I am making them up off the top of my head currently:

1. A film with a common narrator, showing actions of minifigures in different lands, and their take on a certain task. For example, people sweeping the floor in a medieval land use a dragon scale, while people in a world made of pizza use a broom of mozzarella cheese. (Though that example is completely ridiculous, I think you get the picture). We could do it kind of documentary style too, interviewing a couple of minifigures as we go.

2. An infomercial advertising 1x1 round "studs", which are advertised as the "universal product". (I actually made this idea up a while back). The commercial shows interviews of "real minifigures, not actors" and how they enjoy their universal stud. "You can three on top of each other and use it as a lightbulb!", or "They are perfect for putting on top of pie. They taste just like cherries!".

Just some ideas. I'd love to hear some others' ideas. mini/smile

Tobias wrote:

The thing that worked with BIJA was the fact that Hazzat was in charge, and he is definitely a very reliable person that everyone could count on, so there was never any confusion or really any chance of the project falling into the abyss.

I hope that if this project takes off, that I too will be considered a very reliable person. I like order and dislike chaos, but I try to handle things well in a hectic environment. mini/smile

YouTubeWebsite

12 joys of brickfilms will happen, I will finish editing it.

Last edited by Rockydude411 (January 16, 2015 (06:40pm))

That second idea is interesting rioforce.  I think one of the best parts about it is that it could still be completed if a couple people didn't follow through, like the Day Brickfilms.com crashed.

Penta covered all of the basics, so I'll add:

I don't see anything wrong with trying to share a universal character. There are plenty of minifigure parts that overlap, and I think it would make it a lot more interesting if the community was able to come together to animate one or two united main characters instead of another collection of separate characters.

With decent coordination, it shouldn't be too hard to come up with a character design that many people either can replicate now, or spend a few bucks to replicate.

As for a story, I think something that is less dialog-heavy and focuses on telling a story through visuals would be more interesting and creatively challenging. Dialog-heavy brickfilms can be great, but sometimes can turn into a bunch of talking heads.\

I think a brickfilm made in the style of The Letter would be very appealing. A single character moving from place to place would allow different people to animate different parts, but still be tied together with a shared character. This character could go about doing different things to achieve a goal.

I absolutely think we should avoid a "montage film" because that's already been done twice, and isn't that creatively interesting (and this is coming from someone who organized one of those "montage films." We should be able to unite around a single unified story, and accept that this story could only be written by one or two people. Participants in community projects need to understand that it isn't a democracy: no one gets an equal say. Every needs to understand their role and be happy with that.

This is a great idea. I hope it does get some footing and get going.  I have to agree with everything Nathan said, it's all along the lines I was thinking when I read the first post as well.  There are definitely ways to make a simple main character that everyone would use in his/her film portion.

Nathan Wells wrote:

I think a brickfilm made in the style of The Letter would be very appealing. A single character moving from place to place would allow different people to animate different parts, but still be tied together with a shared character. This character could go about doing different things to achieve a goal.

Exactly what I was thinking. This could work even if the styles are different, length of film, everything but the main character could be different and still end up with a great portion of a cohesive end project. 

Simple but strict guidelines to follow would probably be the way to go.  Also it would need to be decided if evryone could/would create in tandem or if it should be done relay style.

Thanks for the input, Nathan! You're right about the sharing character thing. I guess that if the character was simple enough, it could be used in all of the clips. Your unified story idea sounds great too. The story ideas I wrote used mostly separate clips (I guess it's kind of like a montage), because that's fairly easy for everyone to do, and because that's the way most of the other community project have been done.

As for a film that relies on animation more than dialogue, I would like that very much. I just watched The Letter, and that is a perfect example of a film that does not rely on dialogue to tell a great story.

I've got a few more story ideas in my head, I'm not going to write them here right now, I'm going to type them in a document first, but if anyone else has any story ideas, please post them! mini/smile

YouTubeWebsite

I would love to take part in this if possible mini/smile

Latest video: Zombie Blockade https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2XdMQWLu5I

The Son Of Shadowmarch: PreProduction Official Thread: http://www.bricksinmotion.com/forums/to … brickfilm/
Script: 80% / Storyboards: 10% / Voice Acting: 0%

rioforce wrote:

2. An infomercial advertising 1x1 round "studs", which are advertised as the "universal product". (I actually made this idea up a while back). The commercial shows interviews of "real minifigures, not actors" and how they enjoy their universal stud. "You can three on top of each other and use it as a lightbulb!", or "They are perfect for putting on top of pie. They taste just like cherries!".

Sorry Rio but me and a hundred other people already did this one. mini/tongue

I like what Nathan was getting at with the dialogue-free shared character film, even though it does bring to mind the failed 2008 community project Late for Work, which was undone by some people never coming through with their clip. You would want to make sure you can trust the team and have a means of contacting each person, even if just to learn whether they have dropped out or not. Some people who were supposed to contribute to Late for Work just disappeared without a trace and people asking them questions in forum threads never got replies.

Hey I definitely think a collab project would be sweet, but I don't think one should happen anytime soon. The BiM 12 Joys of Christmas was fun, but it has yet to be released, so that's the main concern. If one was to happen, it should be scheduled for like this coming fall, so people have time to prepare for it ( like a THAC is coming soon announcement thing). One thought would be making a contest out of it - groups of maybe 3-4 animators make collab videos that compete in a tournament styled thing, with prizes for the winning group. It's just a thought.

Twitter | Instagram | YouTube Channel | Tumblr | My Weekly Film Podcast!
"For I am NOT ashamed of the Gospel of Christ" - Romans 1:16

sillypenta wrote:

Sorry Rio but me and a hundred other people already did this one. mini/tongue

I had no idea. And I thought mine was an original idea... mini/what

sillypenta wrote:

I like what Nathan was getting at with the dialogue-free shared character film, even though it does bring to mind the failed 2008 community project Late for Work, which was undone by some people never coming through with their clip. You would want to make sure you can trust the team and have a means of contacting each person, even if just to learn whether they have dropped out or not. Some people who were supposed to contribute to Late for Work just disappeared without a trace and people asking them questions in forum threads never got replies.

Yes, I would probably have to make a Skype group or use emails to communicate with the participants more. Using a forum topic is no efficient, because we may ask someone something through it, but it they never see it, and it gets drowned out by other replies, it's useless.

Gentrystudios wrote:

Hey I definitely think a collab project would be sweet, but I don't think one should happen anytime soon. The BiM 12 Joys of Christmas was fun, but it has yet to be released, so that's the main concern. If one was to happen, it should be scheduled for like this coming fall, so people have time to prepare for it ( like a THAC is coming soon announcement thing). One thought would be making a contest out of it - groups of maybe 3-4 animators make collab videos that compete in a tournament styled thing, with prizes for the winning group. It's just a thought.

If by soon, you mean in the next two months, then no, of course it won't be. We probably won't be done with pre-production by that time (though, I'd like to get through pre-production as quickly as possible). We would "schedule" or for fall or winter to give plenty of time to animators. People have other projects to work on, and work and life, and there are BiM contests coming up, so we need to give time for the animators to do their best work instead of slopping together up in a day. (To be honest, it looks like "Brickfilming is So Awesome" could have been done in one day if everyone treated it like a THAC and animated all at the same time).

I don't like the contest thing, though. This project should be done because everyone wants to make a film together, and because it will be fun. I don't want to bribe people.

----

We need to make the film in such a way that if someone's part was not done, someone else could take it over, or it could be removed from the script. That could be hard to do, but if one person doesn't follow through, we don't want this project to crumble.

Last edited by rioforce (January 17, 2015 (03:35pm))

YouTubeWebsite

I agree with your statement on collaborating for the enjoyment, which would be the best part for me too, and I'm not replacing that idea with the contest, but suggesting that a tourny should be considered in the next year or so (aside from the main collab project).

Hey guys, I thought of a story for the project, and I thought you might want to hear it. It is written as a story, not as a montage, because it isn't a montage. I was inspired by the way Cleaning Time was made. It looks like one story, but it was made by many people.

The brain of rioforce wrote:

This is a comedy. It is fast-paced, and does not get boring and bogged down in the story with dialogue or boring animation or sound design. Here it goes:

Some kids steal a very valuable document from a very important place. When the police discover the missing document, they call some investigators for help. These two investigators explore various locations around town to figure out who stole the document. They finally discover that the crooks are two little kids. They take the document, lecture the kids about stealing (in “Stealing is wrong kids. Don’t do it.”), and let the kids go. The kids leave the building, and go to an alley where there is a time machine that looks like the one from Cleaning Time (as a wink to old community projects). They get it and the time machine disappears. Back at the investigators’ office, the investigators set the document on the table. Then they pull out one from a filing cabinet. They look exactly the same. The document is a law against traveling in time. The camera then focuses on a picture on the desk of a picture of the two kids, who are actually former versions of the investigators.

All comments, questions, critiques, and criticism is welcome. Also, if you have a story idea, please post it. If this community project is going to work, we need the community. mini/wink

YouTubeWebsite

I'd like to be a part of this!

Okay, about your story idea:

The brain of rioforce wrote:

This is a comedy. It is fast-paced, and does not get boring and bogged down in the story with dialogue or boring animation or sound design. Here it goes:

Some kids steal a very valuable document from a very important place. When the police discover the missing document, they call some investigators for help. These two investigators explore various locations around town to figure out who stole the document. They finally discover that the crooks are two little kids. They take the document, lecture the kids about stealing (in “Stealing is wrong kids. Don’t do it.”), and let the kids go. The kids leave the building, and go to an alley where there is a time machine that looks like the one from Cleaning Time (as a wink to old community projects). They get it and the time machine disappears. Back at the investigators’ office, the investigators set the document on the table. Then they pull out one from a filing cabinet. They look exactly the same. The document is a law against traveling in time. The camera then focuses on a picture on the desk of a picture of the two kids, who are actually former versions of the investigators.

It's good, but I feel that robberies and time travelling are too close of a reference to Cleaning Time. I think we need a fresh start with this...

I like it. I really like referencing, but this is a little to much for a reference (we're actually involving a time machine, not referencing to one, or a project). In the first post we should start including links to everyone's ideas for people to review and decide on and stuff. Great work Rio.

EDIT: What if we did something along the lines of a Michael Hickox styled stop-motion? I know that is vague, but so is the style of some of his films. I think we shouldn't start a community project with a full blown story, but start smaller and warm up to it just to see how things go. (As we all know, community projects take a long time to make, often because their stories need to be simplified.)

Last edited by Gentry Studios (January 20, 2015 (06:37am))

Thanks for comments. The time machine was actually supposed to be a very small reference, just to throw a plot twist in there. I didn't explain it well, I think. It's mostly a mystery, not a time travel movie. But I'll still take all your comments into consideration. mini/wink

@Gentry Err, I don't really like Michael Hickox's animations. To me, their just too basic and generic (and boring). I'd like to see something with a story. A real story, like Penta suggested. I don't know if you mean that we should do a small community project first, then a larger one with a story, but if that is what you were saying, I don't think that will work. Why should everyone collaborate on just a test video? Also, you mentioned that community projects take a while. Indeed they do, and I'm not trying to rush the process either. The problem with community projects is that they are either too rushed, or too slow so they never get finished wither because of stress, or procrastination.

YouTubeWebsite

I like the idea of a police chase, or investigation, but I'm not sold on the time travel aspect. I'd rather have a story basically grounded in reality, even if it's exaggerated for comedic style (like The Letter). I vaguely recall a failed community project called Late for Work that was about a person who was, surprise surprise, late for work. I still think a film in that style would be the most fun and different from previous community projects.

I've been thinking about this for a bit and I feel this is important to say. You probably already know this Rio, but I think it needs to be said:

As the organizer of a community project, you need to be willing to say no. You need to be able to reject people, and be selective on who you want to be a part of the community project. When I organized The Day Brickfilms.com Crashed, I hand-picked everyone I wanted to be involved. I'm not saying you have be that strict, but you won't be able to include everyone who wants to participate, and some feelings might get hurt. But that happens. Hopefully everyone is able to understand that.

My intention for my previous statement was not to mimick a Michael hickox film, or make a test video, but merely have the idea be more simple, where the plot is less complex and such. I also am nit a fan of hickoz that much, I was just using him as an example to simplify the complexity in a community project. I really can't wait to see this take action.