Topic: Is This Idea For A Film Too Horrific?

I am currently working on the script for App Man Episode 3 whilst also filming the second episode, and I was worried if an idea I had in mind for my 3rd episode seemed too horrific. Because of spoilers, I don't want to say too much, but basically there is this villain who leads a group of minions called Glitchers. Attached to each Glitcher is a bomb. If they do anything that angers him, he activates the bomb and blows them up. Does that idea seem too horrific for this kind of film? Please let me know.

Re: Is This Idea For A Film Too Horrific?

The quick answer: No.

Film is an expression of your ideas, and in theory should not be limited to only light, morally and socially accepted behaviors and story elements. Of course, I as a Christian have certain limits and guidelines, as do most people for various reasons, but those are personally held and will vary in every individual.

Now, obviously you're worried about the idea. So, here's a question. What are you trying to convey in the film, and particularly by the bombs being on the people? Would that ultimately benefit the film in conveying the message of the film and in bringing along the story, or would it distract and be a determent toward your ultimate end-goal?

Now, this kind of thing was done in Series 2 of the Flash, (Family of Rouges) and it put the tension and drama at a pretty high level. I can't remember how much they actually showed the explosion, and most of it was hinted at/talked about, yet it still carried a huge impact throughout the story. The 'implanted bomb to control actions' idea was also used in Agents of Shield, and I'm sure many other films/shows. It's not something that should be done flippantly, but if done right, and for the appropriate reasons, it can be very effective.

As to being too horrific, that depends on several things:
A. The tone of the film/Intended audience.
B. The execution of the blowing up.
C. The reactions/consequences of their blowing up.

Film is as much about how you do something as it is about what that something is. I wouldn't be that worried about the actually idea itself. I'd personally give a lot more thought into how to best convey that idea in a way that meshes with the tone of the film and accomplishes what you want in the story.

What is the intended audience? If it's 7-12 year olds, you may wanna think twice, or at least be very careful in the way you convey the idea. If Adults, you could be a lot more blunt and raw in order to convey the full impact of the bombs and what they say about the evil leader dude. Also, going really violent may affect your reputation as a filmmaker, so if you're concerned about keeping a more family-friendly image, you might want to be careful in how you show it.

I say, if that's the story you want to tell, go for it. But carefully think about how you will show the person exploding, how the leader/other followers will react to that, and how it will motive the various characters involved. That's the important bit. The execution of the idea.

+1 for your post, Pritchard. You explained it perfectly.

I'd like to add, though, that if you do include these henchmen that blow themselves up (or get blown up by the master villain), you may want to treat it as a touchy subject (at least, I would). First off, I wouldn't treat them like mindless henchmen if you're going to blow them up. I see this in movies a lot, the minions are just mindless henchmen that die and nobody cares. To really escalate the tension if you do this, build them up as human characters.

But personally, (and this is based on the impression I got from Episode 1), in a comedic film like App Man, it might be a little too dark. Of course, like Pritchard said, remember how it affects the entire film and don't just have it in there because you need a plot element. Follow your gut, listen to your conscience, and you'll figure it out.

YouTubeWebsite
https://bricksafe.com/files/rioforce/internet-images/RioforceBiMSig.png
"Whatever you do, do all to the glory of God." - 1 Corinthians 10:31b

If he has a really short fuse, he's going to run out of henchmen real quick. Imagine Darth Vader with Kylo Ren's patience.

But maybe that's not helpful. First off, I'd say that if you're not comfortable with the idea, don't do it. Some people may say you're creatively limiting yourself that way, but I think it's much more important to feel good about yourself and what you do. Don't drop your standards for art's sake. But sometimes things like this are crucial to telling the story the way it needs to be told. There are ways of doing it without crossing your own boundaries. Here is where my personal opinion comes in, and I'm no expert, so absolutely disregard it if you want.

I am a fan of not showing things, or rather, I am a fan of leaving things to the imagination. The imagination often makes things much worse than we give it credit for. I've seen some plays recently; one that stands out was Mary Stuart. Towards the end of the play, Mary Stuart is beheaded. Of course they didn't show it. Instead, there was a CHOP noise and red banners were dropped. It was simple, but it effectively got the point across. So if you must have the bombs, remember that you don't have to show it. It still has the potential to be horrifying, but you keep your violence/gore level low at the very least.

There's my two cents.

Last edited by Littlebrick (March 12, 2016 (11:12pm))

"[It] was the theme song for the movie 2010 first contact." ~ A YouTuber on Also Sprach Zarathustra
CGI LEGO! Updated occasionally...

No.

But I know what you mean.

I'm writing a story for someone's video game, and the plot contains some dark elements in it that I'm uncomfortable even writing.  Even showing it in a tongue in cheek humor style it's often going to be presented in the game doesn't make it easier.  The humor is actually a result of the game's future society considering it second nature and finding nothing wrong with it.  But its purpose is to raise awareness of some real-lie atrocities that people actually are doing.  The use of bombs by a character helps reveal how devoid of morals a character can be, and if that demonstrates so, it's not "too dark" to use, especially if  done carefully.

By the way, I recorded your vocals you asked, but just never transferred them from my 16-track recorder to my computer.  I'll try to have them out 2U tomorrow.

https://vimeo.com/channels/holdingourown      http://holding-our-own.tumblr.com

"None practice tolerance less frequently than those who most loudly preach it."

I personally feel comfortable with the idea, but wasn't sure how everybody else on BIM would think about it. I would say that my intended audience is probably 13+, as that is the majority of people that watch my films, so I only aim to include a similar amount of violence in App Man as an average Marvel film like Ant Man, or Iron Man, for example. The third episode of App Man will be somewhat darker than any of the others in the series, but it shouldn't be any more violent than my first episode. It isn't really much about the idea that I am not sure about, rather than how to show it. I don't know how I should show them exploding. As you mentioned it, Rioforce, I really don't want the Glitchers to appear to be some mindless group of henchmen that you wouldn't care about. Throughout the series, I hope to portray them as slaves, forced to serve their leader out of pure fear that he would have them killed if they displease him.

Also, thanks, HoldingOurOwn. That should complete my cast of voice actors for episode 2 mini/smile